What's new

Why is my last name 'Khan' if I am not a Pashtun?

My cast is Kakazai which is associated with a tribe..
My mom's side call themselves Khan but my dad's side calls them Malik...However, my great grand father (dad's side) was Khan..

Last edited:
All of the posts are bakwas after converting to islam some people changed there surnames to Khan from singh...got it?

All of the posts are bakwas after converting to islam some people changed there surnames to Khan from singh...got it?

I think Islam came to Punjab even before Sikh religion was even born.
So many converted from Hindus to Muslims not from Sikh to Muslims in Punjab.

Foundation of Sikhism and travels

Rai Bular Bhatti, the local landlord and Guru Nanak's sister Bibi Nanaki were the first people who recognised divine qualities in Guru Nanak. They encouraged and supported Guru Nanak to study and travel. Sikh tradition states that around c. 1499, at the age of thirty, Guru Nanak went missing and was presumed to have drowned after going for one of his morning baths to a local stream called the Kali Bein. One day, he declared: "There is no Hindu, there is no Muslim" (in Punjabi, "nā kōi hindū nā kōi musalmān").[12][13] It was from this moment that Guru Nanak would begin to spread the teachings of what was then the beginning of Sikhism.
Although the exact account of his itinerary is disputed, he is widely acknowledged to have made four major journeys, spanning thousands of kilometres, the first tour being east towards Bengal and Assam, the second south towards Tamil Nadu, the third north towards Kashmir, Ladakh, and Tibet, and the final tour west towards Baghdad, Mecca and Medina on the Arabian Peninsula.[14] At Mecca, Guru Nanak was found sleeping with his feet towards the Kaaba[15] Kazi Rukan-ud-din, who observed this, angrily objected. Guru Nanak replied with a request to turn his feet in a direction in which God or the House of God is not. The Kazi understood the meaning of what the Guru was saying "God is everywhere".[16] The Kazi was struck with wonder. He then recognised the glory of Guru Nanak.[17]
Guru Nanak Dev - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So Islam was already in Punjab (thanks to Sufism) even before Sikh religion was born

Last edited:
A friend of mine (totally Punjabi from Amritsar) has name Khan. According to him, his great great grandfather settled in Punjab in Mughal times and so they forgot Pashto and started speaking Punjabi.

Freekin bro no disrespect but why do you put up pic's of your so call girl just a general question...?

A friend of mine (totally Punjabi from Amritsar) has name Khan. According to him, his great great grandfather settled in Punjab in Mughal times and so they forgot Pashto and started speaking Punjabi.

Something similar is true for Pashtuns in India. Most of them trace their lineage to noblemen/soldiers in Mughal armies that were settled in Rohilkhand, Awadh and Delhi in Northern India. None of them speak a word of Pashto but are perfect in Hindi/Urdu. I have a colleague who is a Khan from Delhi.

Remember baba bhulay shah?waris shah?fareed ganj baksh?shah ruknay alam and others?islam came to punjab before centuries before sikhs...and the marriages and shyt is bakwwas...............do some research buddy even now real punjabi families dont marry outside there own caste.though im not punjabi but i like to speak the truth
Thanks hope freak got it right

Well , if you think about it ...

There is no such thing as Pakhtoon or Punjabi or Sindhi or Balouchi

Its a barrier we self create on our own self ... it has no meaning

What matter is you are Pakistani

:pakistan:

As for the Name , belive down in the time when Gangis Khan (Can/Kan/Chan) was conquering the world alot of people started to name their chidren as Khan (Last Name)

Genghis_khan_empire_at_his_death.png

And obviously you can see germans also use the nam Kahn, Indian, Pakistani use the name as Khan....

KHAN yep he cause alot of damage dangerous man

Mongol_Empire_map.gif

Zerjal et al. [2003][36] identified a Y-chromosomal lineage present in about 8% of the men in a large region of Asia (about 0.5% of the men in the world). The paper suggests that the pattern of variation within the lineage is consistent with a hypothesis that it originated in Mongolia about 1,000 years ago. Because the rate of such a spread would be too rapid to have occurred by genetic drift, the authors propose that the lineage is carried by likely male-line descendants of Genghis Khan, and that it has spread through social selection. In addition to most of the Mongol nobility up to the 20th century, the Mughal emperor Babur's mother was a descendant. Timur (also known as Tamerlane), the 14th century military leader, claimed descent from Genghis Khan.

Again ... its just history ....obviously we don't teach history in our schools

Last edited:
Maybe becuase you are married to a Khan and took his surname. That is probably the most logical explanation.

Dunno abt ur name bro but a word of advice since you dont seem to get the hint

When you have a girl you dont prade her on the forums mate, dont take any offence to it but among our people (indian/pakistanis alike) its considered disrespectful

Khan, Mian , Effiendi are actually titles not surnames. Chances are that your family might have came from the Afganistan Pakhtunkwa area or your family might hold a title in past, or ur family is a gawiya family like the baray or chotay Ghulum Ali Khan :)

Having the surname khan does not necessarily make you a Pathan.

In Mughal times, the word Khan was used as a title and a mark of honour. Thats why you would find many mughal khans, Rajput khans and even Sindhi khans.

Niazi's are pathans but many of them don't use khan as a surname.

Back
Top Bottom