What's new

Why India stopped 2005 Dhaka SAARC summit

Forget SaaRC. And make individual relationships with other south asian countries. Do more and more MoU with individual countries.

India has the right to take any stance it sees appropriate.

SAARC is a dead horse. Nations in SAARC has very little faith in each other.

Tell me one organization where nations have faith in each other ???

A U.S. Embassy cable sent on February 10, 2005 (26786: confidential) from New Delhi, reporting a February 9, 2005 conversation between Embassy officials and MEA Director Taranjit Sandhu on the decision, reveals much about India's Big Brother attitude towards Bangladesh.

Mr. Sandhu told the U.S. officials that “in light of increasing intolerance in Bangladesh and ‘sustained anti-India sentiment' there, India needed to bring pressure to bear on Dhaka.”

He urged the Americans not to “lessen the importance” of the events in Bangladesh in New Delhi's decision not to attend the summit. “The Director added to his list of Bangladeshi offenses that ‘sitting ministers' and senior politicians have made statements against India recently, with the intention of raising passions, and concluded that this is not the ‘SAARC spirit',” according to the cable.

He said it was time New Delhi “sent a message to Dhaka,” although the signal was not necessarily a negative one. Rather, “it was meant to encourage Bangladesh to be ‘introspective',” Mr. Sandhu said. He added that India wanted Bangladesh to “realize the danger to themselves from leaving certain issues unchecked

(This article is a part of the series "The India Cables" based on the US diplomatic cables accessed by The Hindu via Wikileaks.)

First thing; we r not big brother,,,if we are,forgiveness must be granted.

Second thing; GOI did what to be,,,,,,,.if anyone want to harm me i will do the same thing,and it is same for everyone in this world. Just think yourself.

Next time invite China and I bet india will try their best not to be absent at the summit.

China has no hope in hell to be a member of SAARC.

It is not in South Asia unless of course South Asia is a part of China!!

Running out of India bashing fodder are we? There was need to dig out a 2005 incident to point out the "big brother " attitude of India. Desperate much?

Not surprised by the news. Clearing our confusions.

Next time invite China and I bet india will try their best not to be absent at the summit.

China is really much needed in this forum as a full membership. Otherwise Power balance is not there.

China is really much needed in this forum as a full membership. Otherwise Power balance is not there.

:lol::lol:

SAARC is not for war ..

Why you need power balance ??

So that we can stop SAARC from Indian bullying :)

Its matter of money and power when will you get both then we will talk about this

And stop dreaming about China . (Or why not you allow china to run your government )

Its matter of money and power when will you get both then we will talk about this

Thats the typical uncalled bullying which was at work to stop Dhaka SAARC summit and thats the reason all SAARC countries excluding bharat, need to get involved with China

And stop dreaming about China . (Or why not you allow china to run your government )

Thats none of your business. If bharat can dream of joining ASEAN then why cant other SAARC countries not wish for bringing China in for the real progress.

India is playing the regional power cards, but it can't become a super power unless it has strong control of all its surrounding nations, im talking about Pakiistan of course.

Many experts have said in order for India to become a super power it needs to gain influence and control of all of South Asia, this is proven statistics.
when it comes to economic meetings such as SAARC, India needs to mantian face, because theres is no doubt about India's wealth but there is no doubt India also faces problems in the region.

Back
Top Bottom