What's new

Why India came back to the negotiating table

Good find Karan ..... visions of of the big gorilla and his insertions have considerably lightened my mood.

The monkey is all well and good ..... admittedly with the luxury of hindsight, I would liken India more to the great Ali and his famous rope-a-dope maneuver .....

What do you think? :)

Cheers, Doc

Good find Karan ..... visions of of the big gorilla and his insertions have considerably lightened my mood.

The monkey is all well and good ..... admittedly with the luxury of hindsight, I would liken India more to the great Ali and his famous rope-a-dope maneuver .....

What do you think? :)

Cheers, Doc

very true.. but unlike the great Ali, in this case, India is not even required to throw a counter punch. Between the Taliban, Pakistan and ISI they are doing it to themselves...:azn:

But back to the topic ... This time around I have a feeling that something of a major under the table deal has happened between GoI and GoP for India to start these talks. .....

India is now clutching at straws Pakistan has the upper hand and will not compromise on Afganistan or its national interest as it had its fingers burnt many times by India.As normal conditions return to Afganistan after the withdrawal of foreign powers then India will start simmering in its affected regions. Afganistan's default position is friendly towards Pakistan rather than India. As India has long term designs to occupy Afganistan rather than help it. Its part of its up to the Oxus policy to bring it borders or influence up to this River just as once upon a time the British dreamt of doing but Bristish dreams turned into a nightmare. Through the fog India does not realise Afganistan bought down a Super power, the USSR and nearly ruined another, the USA is it now Bharay's (AKA IndIa) turn? because who ever has crossed this River, no matter which direction, has suffered the same fate.

I am sorry but I do not agree.

The Congress owes Indians a sincere no-bullshit explanation as to why it is engaging Pakistan again. The Indian voter will accept nothing less, barely a year on from the heinous Mumbai carnage.

What has changed since then?

It is my opinion, shared by many many Indians today, that the best and possibly the only way to deal with Pakistan is complete and total isolation.

Ignore them long enough and they will start turning on each other .... as the past year has shown. It is the nature of the beast.

Cheers, Doc

We can play cricket but we can't talk?

If you see the reaction from people about starting dialog with Pakistan I think IPL did a good thing by not selecting Pakistani players in IPL.

We can play cricket but we can't talk?

If you see the reaction from people about starting dialog with Pakistan I think IPL did a good thing by not selecting Pakistani players in IPL.

If you read my post on the Shiv Sena thread brother, you will see I am in favor of neither.

Cheers, Doc

India is now clutching at straws Pakistan has the upper hand and will not compromise on Afganistan or its national interest as it had its fingers burnt many times by India.As normal conditions return to Afganistan after the withdrawal of foreign powers then India will start simmering in its affected regions. Afganistan's default position is friendly towards Pakistan rather than India. As India has long term designs to occupy Afganistan rather than help it. Its part of its up to the Oxus policy to bring it borders or influence up to this River just as once upon a time the British dreamt of doing but Bristish dreams turned into a nightmare. Through the fog India does not realise Afganistan bought down a Super power, the USSR and nearly ruined another, the USA is it now Bharay's (AKA IndIa) turn? because who ever has crossed this River, no matter which direction, has suffered the same fate.

I don't really believe that India is clutching at straws as you suggest. I suspect rather that India is dangling a carrot and that carrot is Pakistan. Let's be honest now. Pakistan is in the midst of a civil war which will continue for many many years. Past policy of arming Islamic extremists in Pakistan by the Pakistani establishment has finally paid dividends to India. Your army is preoccupied with fighting the TTP and in turn has shifted its attention away from India. Yet the average Pakistani does not question who created this monster TTP but instead tries to guess who is currently supporting it. If some extermist group which was funded by India to destabilise Pakistan or our neighbors suddenly went wild in India, majority Indians would turn on the Indian establishment which created that monster and not try to figure out who is currently feeding the monster. Now that differentiates us from you.

As for Afghanistan, it is nothing more than a current day strategic position for India. India must be gaining some global advantage in investing in Afghanistan or else it would not invest in that area. Live with it. Protest all you want. But get used to the Indian flag flying in Afghanistan. As the Yanks say.."the times they are a changing".

Finally as to India engaging with Pakistan. No sane Indian would believe that talks would yield any results. I suspect that the Indian establishment needs something from the west. Prodded on by Hillary Bhabi and Barack chahcha , they will engage with Pakistan knowing full well that in a few weeks time Pakistan will do something stupid to derail the talks. Then India will get its concessions from the west and Pakistan will return to its turmoil and dizziness. History is repetitive as you pointed out but only to those who refuse to strategise their positions. :cheers:

Let's be honest now. Pakistan is in the midst of a civil war which will continue for many many years.

No more than India is in the midst of one. I don't want to derail this thread by linking to that ToI map that shows the vast swathes of territory under Maoist control, or the growing number of districts wracked by insurgency. Let's not have the humongous pot call the travelling kettle black.

Past policy of arming Islamic extremists in Pakistan by the Pakistani establishment has finally paid dividends to India. Your army is preoccupied with fighting the TTP and in turn has shifted its attention away from India.

You must not have kept up with the news over, oh, the last decade or so... Pakistan has never, for one instant, turned its attention away from India. It is this very issue that has been debated high and low with NATO and we have refused to budge even an iota. It is quite clear to us that while we can turn the tide with the rag-tag groups on the western border with a few months of Swat/SWA type operations, India is the real long term security issue.

Other than the already present FC and a few infantry divs, nothing has been moved or redeployed to the west, and both Rah-e-Nijaat and Rah-e-Haq operations have been very successful with these resources. All the strike corps, armor, the Air Force disposition, strategic forces/missiles etc. remain completely focused 100% on India.

As Gen. Kiyani eloquently explained, until our disputes with India arrive at some sort of acceptable resolution, the Pakistani Military will remain completely focused on India.

Pakistani Army will remain India-centric: Kayani- Politics/Nation-News-The Economic Times

majority Indians would turn on the Indian establishment which created that monster and not try to figure out who is currently feeding the monster. Now that differentiates us from you.

Well, how angelic... and self righteous of you.

As for Afghanistan, it is nothing more than a current day strategic position for India. India must be gaining some global advantage in investing in Afghanistan or else it would not invest in that area. Live with it. Protest all you want. But get used to the Indian flag flying in Afghanistan. As the Yanks say.."the times they are a changing".

Oh, the times are certainly changing! Obama is embattled within the US on domestic issues. Americans want their troops back home. He has already announced a 2011 draw down. The surge troops will be out soon, NATO countries are and will continue to bail. I don't see Obama in a political position that would allow him another surge in a year or two if things take a southerly direction. That leaves a paltry force in Afghanistan which will not be capable of hold-and-secure ops, and these numbers too will be dwindling every day. That is the reality. American presence in Afghanistan is not the question. It is about whether that presence is substantial enough to effect meaningful political change. I don't think that is going to be the case at all.

We've already waited a decade, watching the effects of foreign presence in Afghanistan unfold, what's another 3-4 years? If you think the Northern Alliance will survive in Afghan government retaining the kind of influence it has had over the past few years, please brace yourself for a humongous disappointment. The tide in Afghanistan has been going in the opposite direction and Obama's recent overtures to involve the Chinese (of all people!) in stabilizing Afghanistan can only bode ill for India's Afghan agenda.

We first had NATO nations commit to a $500M bribery fund for the very same elements they had been fighting, then there was some definitional dancing around of who the money would go to, and finally we had the British come out and say that "80% of the Taliban" were really not all that extremist and could qualify for the bribery program.

Any guesses on whether these 80% "non extremist" Taliban about to be armed with $500M will be supportive of Indian presence and influence in Afghanistan?

Finally as to India engaging with Pakistan. No sane Indian would believe that talks would yield any results. I suspect that the Indian establishment needs something from the west. Prodded on by Hillary Bhabi and Barack chahcha , they will engage with Pakistan knowing full well that in a few weeks time Pakistan will do something stupid to derail the talks. Then India will get its concessions from the west

Yes, Pakistan will do something "stupid", or the Indian government will give a nod to hard core militants within India's military establishment to enact yet another Samjhota express like terrorist plot, killing innocent Pakistani civilians on Indian soil and sabotaging the progress of any such talks... but let's chalk this one up to a difference in perspective, shall we? The basic thrust of your assertion is something that I support. I don't believe Pakistan should talk to India at all.

Frankly, there is no need for Pakistan to do so.

and Pakistan will return to its turmoil and dizziness. History is repetitive as you pointed out but only to those who refuse to strategise their positions.

Pakistan's overall position can be characterized by a) its strong position in Afghanistan - and we can debate this all day, but I'll bet the government that emerges in Afghanistan 3-5 years hence will be pro Pakistan if not decidedly anti-India, b) its ability to pursue the erstwhile IPI without India - potentially bringing in China and hence creating a regional energy cooperation framework from which India has been evicted, c) its increasing role in the SCO in the context of its strong relationship with the "platinum sponsor" of that organization, China, d) immunity from any conceivable military action, poppycock and nonsense such as cold-start-under-nuclear-overhang notwithstanding and e) its success with both Swat and SWA operations in an incredibly short period of time and hence its proven ability to deal with the western border without taking anything away from the East.

There are a number of other things happening also, such as Turkey's emergence as the strongest player in the ME and soon, the strongest military power in Europe, and the benefits that accrue from that relationship. You may have noted that Turkey has supported Pakistan's position against that of India's for decades. If their support was strong when they were weak, it will only get stronger as they emerge as a premier regional and global player.

For all these reasons and more, Pakistan's interests are secure and its ability to turn the tide when things get tough is proven. Therefore, it has absolutely no strategic need to talk to India. It would be preferable if a discussion over the table could have resolved issues, but we've tried that numerous times and it only wastes time. Let's pursue our independent policies and see how the situation evolves in Afghanistan, Kashmir, on the Chinese border, with the IP(C) pipeline, with Islamabad-Tehran-Istanbul-EU rail networks, with the SCO and elsewhere... no harm in being a little patient.

Last edited:
No more than India is in the midst of one. I don't want to derail this thread by linking to that ToI map that shows the vast swathes of territory under Maoist control, or the growing number of districts wracked by insurgency. Let's not have the humongous pot call the travelling kettle black.

Dear TL, A little bit of apples and oranges here.. While the naxals/maoists you are refering to are a security threat, the situation is very different. They are local goons that are creating a law and order situation within the country by terrorizing the local tribal population. I would compare them with a mafia or an underworld that is indigenous and contained. This against the situation in Pakistan where these talibans, who probably started similarly, but due to decades of support from the Pakistani establishment against Afg and somewhat against india, have become strong enough to challenge the might of the state. This is so visible in the tactics and the intensity of conflict created by these folks as against what you see in the indian states pointed out by you.

Check this out

Pakistan Timeline 2010

and compare with India

India - Timeline Year 2010

totally different ball game..

For all these reasons and more, Pakistan's interests are secure and its ability to turn the tide when things get tough is proved. Therefore, it has absolutely no strategic need to talk to India. It would be preferable if a discussion over the table could have resolved issues, but we've tried that numerous times and it only wastes time. Let's pursue our independent policies and see how the situation evolves in Afghanistan, Kashmir, on the Chinese border, with the IP(C) pipeline, with Islamabad-Tehran-Istanbul-EU rail networks, with the SCO and elsewhere... no harm in being a little patient.

On the other aspects, well none of us can foretell the future and how the whole scenario will go down. Obama may stay, may not stay. May be lose next election (which he himself has started coming to terms with) and you may have a Republican hawk in his place or China may or may not go with IPI (considering it already has a dip in the CAR gas resources thru an alternate path) and a bunch of other variables. If we all get lucky, both India and Pakistan may succeed in their own individual paths of growth.

Also continued tension in the Kashmir region will not result in anything substantial for either countries. By definition its a low cost confliict with a few hundred people getting killed every year in Kashmir and the restive areas of Pakistan (which GoP blames india for and it may even be true). Its sad and I hate myself to say it, but thats the cost of war and more people die in both our countries due to bad health care everyday.

So in a nutshell, talks wont mean squat and India would have got its pound of flesh from the west for making these noises and nothing changes on the ground except may be a little additional pressure from US on Pak to do more now that India is talking peace. However, Pakistan in my view is well adept in handling that kind of pressure easily..

So in a nutshell, talks wont mean squat and India would have got its pound of flesh from the west for making these noises and nothing changes on the ground except may be a little additional pressure from US on Pak to do more now that India is talking peace. However, Pakistan in my view is well adept in handling that kind of pressure easily..

Unless the US demonstrates that it is willing to lean on either side in a serious enough way that would compel that side to budge, mere talk of 'pressure' will do nothing to either India or Pakistan.

Talks are nothing other than an opportunity for Pakistan to say that India budged without any substantial change in Pakistan's position, and for India to claim that it obliged the US. The nature of the relations between India and Pakistan - at least at the moment - transcends talks. The Foreign Office of Pakistan did seek immediate clarification on the scope of talks because I think they assumed they could get an easy out... get India to say the offer was for security focused talks and then opt out by raising the Kashmir issue. I think the response they've received is less direct and India appears to be saying that the talks would be wide ranging. To me, cynical as I am on this front, this just means there will be one or two rounds before these talks fail, as opposed to an out of hand refusal to accept the offer.

As Machiavellian as it is, there is nothing left now but for both of us to scheme and plot against each other and see whose plots are more effective.

Incredible India being influenced by the Americans????? Wow! Where is the moronic Indian rant of 'we know what is best for India and we do not BEG or get influenced yada yada yada'!!

I see it more like 'since all else has failed to romp Pakistan internationally including the idiotic argument that if any rogue elements from Pakistan soil launch an attack on India we would not tolerate it an attack yada yada yada!!!'

and

'If the Pakistani's are talking to us more the less they would be talking to the rest of the world yada yada yada'!!!

Been there done that and goes to show that Indians are as predictable as sunshine is to the sun!

Unless the US demonstrates that it is willing to lean on either side in a serious enough way that would compel that side to budge, mere talk of 'pressure' will do nothing to either India or Pakistan.

Talks are nothing other than an opportunity for Pakistan to say that India budged without any substantial change in Pakistan's position, and for India to claim that it obliged the US. The nature of the relations between India and Pakistan - at least at the moment - transcends talks. The Foreign Office of Pakistan did seek immediate clarification on the scope of talks because I think they assumed they could get an easy out... get India to say the offer was for security focused talks and then opt out by raising the Kashmir issue. I think the response they've received is less direct and India appears to be saying that the talks would be wide ranging. To me, cynical as I am on this front, this just means there will be one or two rounds before these talks fail, as opposed to an out of hand refusal to accept the offer.

As Machiavellian as it is, there is nothing left now but for both of us to scheme and plot against each other and see whose plots are more effective.

sad but true. and no telling whose plot will be more effective eventually... here's to a better time ... which is only a distant dream right now..

Incredible India being influenced by the Americans????? Wow! Where is the moronic Indian rant of 'we know what is best for India and we do not BEG or get influenced yada yada yada'!!

Still holds true my friend.. Talking to pakistan does diddly squat to compromise India's interests. I am sure at this time it is in India's interest and thats why these talks are happening. Otherwise Pakistan has been asking for these for last 14 months.. Just wait and watch the magic :azn:

I am sorry but I do not agree.

The Congress owes Indians a sincere no-bullshit explanation as to why it is engaging Pakistan again. The Indian voter will accept nothing less, barely a year on from the heinous Mumbai carnage.

What has changed since then?

It is my opinion, shared by many many Indians today, that the best and possibly the only way to deal with Pakistan is complete and total isolation.

Ignore them long enough and they will start turning on each other .... as the past year has shown. It is the nature of the beast.

Cheers, Doc
The fact is that you have no other choice. The jazbaati talk of complete and total isolation is something that you and your compatriots can ill-afford. As has been suggested here, heinousness of atrocities is relative. After all the two countries talked even though you invaded Pakistan and dismembered our country.

So in the scheme of things, life goes on whether you like it or not. You stand to lose more by not talking.

Wishful thinking. Last I checked, you were worried that this beast may not find a base in Afghanistan thus the hurried offer of talks to Pakistan. Lets realize your limitations before posting haughty comments about what you think you are capable of and what the reality of that capability to isolate Pakistan really is.

hatefull enemeys of peace.dreaming for isolation .hell yeah try your best.if i will ask mr.doc AFTER 50 YEARS he will be same place.shamefully.be humen first.then indian pakistani.

Back
Top Bottom