What's new

Why I Hate Diwali

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love both

Pathake and Patake ;)

i am not yet married.. but i will marry where there is a saali.. if my f-i-l catches me with saali he will say..

"jis saali mein khaate ho, usi mein chhedh karte ho?" hahahahaha

if i am caught hugging my saali i will say..
ek haath se saali nahin bajti

Abe shadi ke pahle ye haal hai to baad me kya hoga ???

Diwali Daze and Its Changing Ways

The celebration of this festival of lights has seen big changes in just a generation, but what hasn’t changed is the love and warmth it still exudes. Here are past traditions and today’s trends.

Bursting crackers till our ears revolted. Gorging on ghee-dripping gulab jamuns and laddoos. Reciting aartis in front of Lakshmi and Ganesha till we felt assured we’d expressed our gratitude. Getting dressed in rich, traditional clothes till we’d got as many colors as the rainbow on us. Drawing up intricate rangoli patterns till the guests felt truly welcomed. Filling up homes with the aroma of incense sticks and fresh flowers. Preparing lavish dinners till the pots and pans groaned with spices, vegetables, and condiments. Lighting up the home with candles and diyas till every single corner reflected light and love and the atmosphere was redolent with celebration. These were the markers of Diwali.

But all this was a long time ago…

When we didn’t know that crackers were made by children in dark sweatshops. Or that ghee choked up our arteries. Until the Chinese exploded the neighborhood markets with fancy LED lights. When we weren’t aware that pollution levels in the air were going up with each passing day. Or we hadn’t had a bite of scrumptious Korean, Thai or Mediterranean cuisines. When we didn’t care for outfits carrying an international designer tag, or didn’t think it was important for the business to spend time with partners and clients. When aartis didn’t come loaded on CDs, DVDs, and YouTube.

But when did the planet get so ill and gray? When did wine become our national festive drink? When did macaroons and donuts replace pakoras and samosas? When did the prayers played on an iPod become louder than the ones we recited ourselves?

When, oh, when did Diwali change from what we knew it to be? Perhaps when we ourselves changed so much? When we had opened up, adapted, accepted, welcomed, become more sensitive and aware to such an extent that we had also begun to lose out on some fine things? We revisit the charm of the good old Diwali as we blend it with the Diwali of today. Here’s a tale of realization, revelry, and rediscovery.

“I grew up in Kolkata and I remember how every year my grandfather would make chocolate bombs, which were later sun-dried on the terrace. It was he who taught me about the simplicity and purity of Diwali,” says Sreemoyee Piu Kundu, a former editor with publications like the Times of India and India Today, and now a full-time author based in New Delhi. Growing up with grandparents is fun and fulfilling. If you’ve been fortunate enough to have the privilege of sharing homes and lives with grandparents then you would agree that real education doesn’t start in kindergarten but at home with grandparents. It is they who introduce us to the meaning, love, and traditions of a festival.
However, today, not many enjoy the luxury of staying in a joint family, which translates into a major loss when it comes to learning values and traditions that bind families. “We seem to be drifting away from the core purpose behind our festivals and because we live in nuclear families the elders are generally not around to share traditions and perform ceremonies. As a result for the young Diwali becomes yet another holiday and time to party,” laments Sumant Batra, a lawyer and author of the popular limited-edition coffee table book, The Indians: Interesting Aspects, Extraordinary Facets.

With diversity comes more awareness
But then, perhaps not all is lost. Because each city and state in India is home to many diverse communities, we have grown more aware of our festivals and traditions. I recall how during my growing up years in northern India, I knew little about the pot-bellied Lord Ganesha except his love of laddoos. Little did I know then that my cousins in Mumbai (Bombay then) were celebrating Ganesh Chathurthi with my friend Ganesha, too. Today, my four-year-old niece tells me that the festive season in her school has begun and they will be celebrating Ganesh Chathurthi, Navaratri, Durga Puja, Dusshera, Halloween Night, Diwali, Id, and Bhaiya Dooj back to back. She also knows that a modak is what a few of her friends call a laddoo.

Inter-caste marriages are another factor behind the awareness. It is common for many urban Indian children to have relatives and cousins who live in or belong partly to other cultures. Schools are playing a big role in increasing awareness, too. “Today, schools lay emphasis on the celebration of every festival, which is a big education itself,” says Vandana Pabi, a primary school teacher from Gurgaon. Anne Cherian, chief copy editor, NIE (Newspaper In Education), The Times of India, shares how each festival is a celebration in the editions they make for school children. And she lives by what they publish, too: “While I get invited to Diwali puja and dinners at my friends’ homes they join us for cake-mixing sessions and carol singing during Christmas.”

For the last six years Dr. Manita Grover celebrated Diwali during the day. “As a student of medicine in Chennai I fell in love with the traditions of the South. It was only during my stay there that I learnt and later began to enjoy celebrating Diwali in the early morning.”

But as people indulge in buying diyas for Diwali along with costume masks for Halloween parties one can’t help but both rejoice and worry. “Our festivals are a powerful medium for passing on and reinforcing values and teachings that are an important part of our social fabric. While it is a good idea to learn about the festivals of other communities and even countries, there are also hazards of globalization as we get more fascinated and intrigued by international festivals,” says Batra. The idea here is to understand the difference between indulgence and overindulgence.

Will Diwali’s sacred allure survive?
“While earlier Diwali gatherings were more about meeting families and distributing sweets, I feel now it is more about playing cards and drinking on this auspicious day, which is disrespectful,” says Sangram Singh, a wrestler. Agrees author Varsha Dixit, “What I remember most about my Diwali as a child is not the goodies but the late night walk that we took with my father. We would walk around the neighborhood and watch the lights that lit up the many homes. Diwali was always about spending more time with loved ones and building memories than spending on gifts.”

“While it is true that conventions or traditions should not necessarily stand in the way of innovation and progress, it is also important that we do not rob the festivals of their original charm and the nostalgia attached to them,” says Batra. So if our lives today have become busier and we no longer have time to visit relatives as we did in the past, greeting each other on mobiles or social networking sites may not be a bad idea after all—provided one realizes that while video chats can bring us closer it can also distance us from significant ceremonies, rituals, and even emotions. “Diwali is a festival that I have always associated with the family coming together to celebrate. As a child I remember going to my Nanaji’s house in Baroda every Diwali. Time constraints don’t allow people to travel like that anymore. However, I make sure that I am in Mumbai with my parents and brother each Diwali. I help Mom in making sweets at home and watch her in awe as she adds her special touch to them. I even do the rangoli outside the house,” says actress Payal Rohatgi.
1112CvrStry-Rangoli.jpg

Stickers or stick-ons cannot compete with the original rangolis—both in beauty and the pride of expressing one’s own creativity.

Dixit, who is a mother and wife today, says, “I relive my childhood memories when I light up diyas and make rangoli with my daughter and husband. Diwali for me is about shopping, decorating, and cooking but most definitely it is about spending some quality time with my family and close friends.”

The vanishing Goddesses
1112CvrStry-laxmi_cracke.jpg

Another big change that has come in festivities is, of course, to do with the fireworks. I recall how for years I looked forward to the time when makeshift cracker shops would take over every empty corner in my neighborhood. I would simply stand there and absorb the psychedelic colors of the small, big, short, tall, square and rectangular fireworks boxes. Most of them carried images of Durga’s powerful persona or Lakshmi’s calm presence, some, those of little girls and boys, and a few others that of the Taj Mahal. My mother would buy me a pack of phuljhari and point to the image on the box and say, “That’s Goddess Lakshmi we are taking home with us.” I could identify with most of the images on the boxes: they were the same gods and goddesses who adorned the wall calendars at my grandparents’ home. However, a recent visit to a fireworks shop gave me a gaudy shock. Half-clad Katrina Kaifs, Vidya Balans, and Kareena Kapoors smiled at me from most boxes.

Visual artist Nishant Mudgal says he clearly remembers the images that were printed on the boxes a few Diwalis ago, “I wish I had preserved some of the vintage boxes. (But) the trend of having film stars on the boxes was always there. A vendor points out: “People don’t want to see Hema Malini or Sridevi on the boxes now.”

Parbina Rashid, a senior journalist with The Tribune, observes that the firecracker packages are cultural statements in themselves. “Sivakasi, the small town in Tamil Nadu where malnourished children and women work in fireworks factories, makes its presence felt every year. And looking at the packaging of the Sivakasi-made crackers one can assume that this town is not just doing a great job in its economic front but in the cultural milieu too.” Yes, the actresses that adorn the boxes indeed reflect today’s cultural icons. It is only fair to miss the simplicity that once existed.

“It is predictable, yet nostalgic. The reckless and thoughtless glamorization, modernization, and commercialization of the festivities that surround the festivals are rapidly compromising the traditions and rituals that form their foundation,” sums up Batra.

Responsible revelry
Interestingly, firecracker sales have seen a downward trend despite gimmicks like putting the pictures of today’s hot stars on boxes. Many today shy away from buying fireworks because of an increased awareness of how they contribute to pollution and also of the poor conditions in fireworks factories where children work in pathetic conditions.

Actress Mahek Chahal, who grew up in Norway, recalls, “Diwali in Norway was quite simple as we were not allowed to burn any crackers or make too much noise. And fortunately in the last ten years a major change I have noticed in India is that people have become more conscious about the environment.” What is commendable here is the fact that the young are leading the “Say no to crackers” campaign. “My mother told me that crackers are made by boys of my age,” says Aryan, six, adding, “and also that burning too many crackers will kill the sapling I sowed last month.”

It is indeed heartwarming to see children make paintings with ‘Say no to crackers’ slogan or go door-to-door and get their neighbors to sign the pledge, too.

“I am happy to see that people don’t burn a lot of crackers and have begun to understand its harmful effect on the environment and also become active towards protecting the rights of the children,” shares Singh.

At the same time, the increased awareness has had another positive fallout: people have also begun to adhere to the deadline of not bursting crackers after 10 p.m. Since a lot of youngsters now prefer lavish parties in the comforts of their home they don’t feel the need to be bursting crackers late into the night. As for late-night parties that can lead to drunken driving and accidents, numerous steps are being taken to spread awareness, keep a check, and provide alternatives.

Sumptuous food – a staple that continues to endure but in newer forms
Now no party is complete without food, especially Diwali parties. The sight of a dollop of ghee—my grandmother’s special ingredient in the homemade mithai—melts my heart. She would begin the preparations days in advance and fill up her kitchen with rich and sweet aromas. Even today, at many homes, guests are tempted with a platter adorned with ghar ki mithai or rich traditional treats bought from shops.

Helping Mom in the kitchen is a memory dear to many young girls. “When we were young, my sister and I would help Mom in the cooking before the puja. Today, since I live alone I start the cooking a few days in advance. I make sweets like gujiyas and nariyal barfi and distribute it amongst friends, family, and neighbors,” says actress Shweta Bhardwaj.

1112CvrStryGulab-Jal-CupC.jpg

But not everybody is still a huge fan of traditional treats, as a lot of people now prefer to bite into desserts with a twist like Rasmalai Cheesecake, Gulab Jamun Creme Brulee, and Kesar cupcakes. Executive Chef Pallav Singh, JW Marriott, Chandigarh, says, “Today people travel a lot more and hence are exposed to international flavors and tastes. Also, economic liberalization coupled with the arrival of expats in our country is responsible for the change in tastes.”
1112CvrStryGolgappaVodkaSh.jpg

New, hybrid creations such as the Gulab Jaal (rosewater) cup-cake (above) are overshadowing the classics such as gulab jamun (below). And on the right, gol gappa vodka shots anyone? (Photos: Prachi Grover)

“Indian sweets with a Western touch have less sugar in them and are therefore preferred by the health-conscious circuit,” adds Singh. Some favorite treats this year are the Baked Rasgulle, Fig Kulfi with Balsamic Glaze, and Fruit Salad with Rose Petals. Needless to say, these modern mithais are complemented with modern drinks as well. Nimbu paani or buttermilk or even a cup of chai no longer befits the Diwali meal.

1112CvrStry-GulabJamun.jpg

Clearly, Diwali is seeing new trends in everything that we associated with the festival—right from fireworks to mithais, from outfits to traditions, and adornments to environmental awareness. But can a Skype call with grandparents replace real hugs? Yes and no. At the end of the day we have the choice to look both back and ahead. “Festivals in India are symbolic of our cultural heritage and our religious pageantry and I don’t think the core can ever be corrupted by modern progressions,” Kundu observes. After all, you can’t take the sweetness out of a gulab jamun however you westernize it. Neither can you doubt the brightness of the sparklers when they come packaged in a modern box. And then when festivals are all about the young and old coming together to celebrate why should we not just do that? So this Diwali make sure that you hold on to some things from the past and shake hands with some things of today and tomorrow.

[Based in New Delhi, Purva Grover is a journalist and editor who writes about art, fashion, cinema, food, television, and people.]

@ ajtr

Why this negative mindset for all things ???

Never been happy in your life ???

I wonder if a thread with "Reasons why I hate Eid" would last this long :D

Some people need to release their frustration so just allow them to do that

Changing Colours of Diwali

Sanjeev Bhat

Deepavali, the festival of lights and a celebration of victory of the Good over the Evil and that of Light over Darkness- is one of the most important Hindu festivals in India that has religious connotations of prosperity attached to it.
All the simple rituals of this festival of joy and happiness have significance and a story to tell. The illumination of homes with lights and the skies with firecrackers is an expression of obeisance to the heavens for the attainment of health, wealth, knowledge, peace and prosperity. The lighting is believe to generate hope to herald the new beginning and the noise is believed to herald the defeat of evil and catch the attention of the Gods. In each legend, myth and story of Deepavali lies the significance of the victory of good over evil; and it is with each Deepavali and the lights that illuminate our homes and hearts, that this simple truth finds new reason and hope. From darkness unto light - the light that empowers us to commit ourselves to good deeds, that which brings us closer to divinity.
The imperatives of Deepavali rituals has religious as well as practical sanctity attached to it- the traditional aspects being relevant even today and are being widely observed in their original form even though the modernity has not left any thing untouched. The rituals of Deepawali are imperative as are the celebrations for us and are having practical utility in our lives. Be it cleaning, illuminating of houses or exchanging of sweets and greetings besides the annual grand celebrations- all have their relevance in the changing times and helps in keeping our culture and traditions alive even though the changing trends have changed the form of such imperatives.
Pointing at these rituals and their auspiciousness in our lives, Amir Chand, Head Priest at Bhawan of Shri Mata Vaishnodevi Shrine Board, Katra explains, "The way the modern world is changing the rituals seem to be the only way to keep our culture and traditions alive. The ritual proper of celebrating Deepavali and the rites associated with it are the set of imperatives of us coming down to us from generations and the observance of the same is of a practical utility to us as well. For instance the cleaning of the house on the eve of Deepavali makes it cleanse of all impurities, infections and insects which is a stepping-stone towards being healthy which in turn will guide an individual towards getting wealthy and wise".
With the increase in money flow and Jammu becoming hub for the people from every where and the spending economy getting diverted to Jammu, Diwali has gained even greater significance for the business and the trading community here who it seems leave no stone unturned in cashing on the occasion to their maximum benefit. Otherwise also Goddess Lakshmi being their deity and that their every action is directed at attracting more and more wealth, the festivity has gained more and more relevance for them with every passing year. Besides Diwali acts as an equalizer to some extent as because of it the money get circulated and tend to reach many sectors of economy here which otherwise hinges on pilgrim tourism. However the inflationary pressures have played a spoil-sport and have rendered the Diwali enthusiasts high and dry with rupee fetching less and less in the market place with its value getting eroded by each passing day. "On Diwali we give out maximum advertisements in the expectation of getting maximum foot-falls to increase our sale", says one retailer here adding, "after all it is the occasion of earning for us". The secretariat employees also having moved in the business community here even seek to target the move employees and their families by offering them huge discounts.
On the streets of densely populated places like Jammu, Diwali is often a raucous affair, marked by a cacophony of firecrackers on the streets. The wealthier urban dwellers splurge on gold, jewelry, clothes and expensive gifts such as electronics, which they buy for themselves and their loved ones. In the peripheral villages and beyond in the province, the celebration is generally a more simple affair, defined by humble offerings and wholesome feasts. Few, if any, firecrackers are burst and many follow their own particular traditions. Most villagers try and buy new clothes, but few can afford gold, jewelry or elaborate gifts. Though there are some Diwali rituals common as in both city and countryside. Small clay oil lamps (or diyas) are placed at the thresholds of homes, shops and offices to celebrate the legend of the return of the Lord Rama, to his kingdom after 14 years in exile. According to mythology his people lit diyas to welcome his return. In Jammu city as well as in villages there is also a common belief that during Diwali the Hindu goddess of wealth, Lakshmi, will visit their homes if they are lit, clean and beautifully decorated. Windows and doors are left open to let the goddess in and homes are cleaned. Out side Jammu the tradition of brightly-colored Rangolis drawn using fingers on the ground at the entrances to homes and offices are common. These geometric designs are usually symbols of nature and their purpose is to welcome guests and to encourage Lakshmi inside.
But over the years, given the rise in income levels and increase in disposable income of the masses, Deepawali has gained far greater significance for the people for rather paradoxically reasons which in turn has given way to pomp and show in terms of an opportunity for showcasing of the riches, wealth and power. Since the ways of life change as the wheel of time spins and so changes the way as to how we perceive and celebrate festivals. Earlier, Diwali celebrations comprised of getting your house cleaned and whitewashed before Diwali, donning on new clothes, lighting clay diyas (earthen lamps) or multi-colored candles, enjoying sweets and meeting friends, neighbors and relatives. Now, quite a lot has changed. Whitewashing has given way to choosing from a plethora of expensive paints for your house. Branded clothes have replaced new clothes and electronic decoration has dethroned the traditional diyas and candles. Wherever they are used, it is their modern avatars- artistically shaped diyas, Chinese lanterns and aromatic candles. Sweets are being gradually replaced by chocolates and cupcakes and people have little time and patience to meet friends and relative, let alone neighbors.
On the changes haven taken place in the realm of lighting the house hold with electric lighting rather the traditional diyas, Amir Chand adds, "With the changing times every thing changes and we have to ride these changes otherwise we will be left behind", further illustrating, "Inside the Mata's cave earlier there used to be lighting through Diyas but after the advent of electricity the cave shrine is illuminated by electric lighting through various gadgets even though we continue to light the ghee based diyas to continue with the tradition", while suggesting, "The best course is therefore the mix of both". Talking about the connotations of earthen lamps, Pandit Pranji of Bantalab elucidates, "The lighting up of traditional earthen lamps on the occasion of Deepavali has religious connotations attached to it. As the word suggests it is DEEPAVALI signifying the lighting of many Diyas. As per the belief of Hindus, the Devtas get pleased by the offerings through Havans and lighting of a gee base diyas is an effort in that direction. Besides it is the purest and pious form of expressing one's internal expressions the supreme".
Not withstanding all this, after a complete cultural transformation having taken place from the one of a spiritual to a one of superficial- from the culture which believed in subtle to a culture which believes in mundane- and in line with such transformations the flavor of Dewali has got modified in accordance with a free market economy, consumerism and globalization as there is a lot of show-off in the way it is celebrated and a large materialistic aspect to it. Earlier people celebrated Diwali out of faith. It was more serene, more pious. But now, it's commercialized. It's more of a show. Diwali, now is more often seen as an opportunity to prove to others that their social status and purchasing power is better than them.
And with this notion has come such methods of recreation that has lead to the excessive indulgence. Fire cracker busting is one such aspect which has underwent a massive change and has lead to an obsessive behavior patterns where the people tend to spend more on this account little thinking that they may be causing trouble to the fellow human beings at the cost of their merry making. The indiscriminate use of fire crackers being detrimental to the health of the people are causing a lot of inconvenience to the general populace.
Even though there is no bar on decent expression of joy and happiness, one wonders when and how has such a destructive behavior pattern come from which results in the air and noise pollution.
As Diwali and crackers go synonymous, the inseparability has turned festival of lights into the festivity of noise and air pollution and this Diwali you are once again subjected to a fairly good chance of getting , if doctors are to be believed, permanently deaf and asthmatic.
Impact of noise pollution weighs far greater, reveals Dr. Padam Singh, ENT specialist at Government SMGH Hospital Jammu, adding "The noise pollution due to the rampant busting of fire crackers on Diwali can well cause as severe a trouble as a permanent, irreversible deafness. The injury due to such noise pollution can be of four types. The first type being Traumatic Perforation of ear drums. The second one and a more severe injury to the ears caused due to sudden impact of fire crackers called as Sensory Nerve Deafness (SN Deafness) which can lead to permanent deafness if affecting both ears. The third one being Temporary thresh-hold shift (TTS) where in the patient may continue to remain hard on hearing for a continuous period of 6-days to 6 weeks. Yet another is Ringing sensation also known as Tinnitus".
Informing further Dr Singh says, "While the normal conversation level is around 30 to 60 Decibels, anything even slightly above comes under loudness and gives rise to discomfort level. Now if a person is subjected to a noise level of 90 decibels for eight hours consistently his chances of deafness increases appreciably and as the Decibels rise the time exposure reduces proportionately. Besides anything above 90 db is painful and by all possibilities anything above 130 decibels is hazardous and damaging". Emphasizing the inadvertent fall-out Dr Singh maintains, "Deafness can be caused by a sudden loudness which may or may not be reversible and the one caused by a continuous loudness is irreversible. In the former case, more often, the ear drum gets ruptured but in the later case the deafness caused due to nerve level impact makes it totally irreversible".
Giving his first hand experience at the ENT Department, Dr. Singh informs, "Post Diwali every year we get such cases in emergency reporting deafness caused due to loud impact of cracking of fire crackers. There is some serious case also with irreversible deafness". Suggesting some measures to safe guard the ear from such a high air pressure, Dr Sing pin-points certain precautions," Use ear plugs for protection, use less and less fire crackers, do not buy noise-based crackers, do not buy crackers that do not display exact decibel labels on boxes and do not contain chemical content. The best option being to avoid using crackers all together and in no case should the fire crackers be bought which are above 125 decibels".
On the other hand giving details of the burn related injuries Dr Vipin Gupta, Skin Specialist at SMGH Hospital, enumerates such injuries due to accidents caused by fire crackers," Post Dewali fan-fare we receive numerous burn related injury cases in Skin OPD as well as in the Emergency of GMC which are dealt with according to part of body effected while as some are referred for Surgery, others get referred to Eye Deptt in case of eye injuries".
Elucidating this phenomenon further Lal Chand, Chairman, J&K State Pollution Control Board informs , " The noise level on Diwali day reaches an alarming level and becomes one-and-half times the permissible limits and almost two-and-a-half times higher than the normal medically admissible limits. On the other hand, the air quality on Diwali day in Jammu registers an alarmingly hazardous trend ranging from as high as 25.3 micro grams per cubic meter of nitrogen dioxide, 12.8 micro grams per cubic meter of sulfur dioxide besides an appreciable increase in Respirable Suspended Particulate Matter (RSPM) and Suspended Particulate Matter (SPM). On Diwali day, last year, SPM was recorded as 227 micro grams per cubic meter, RSPM as 139 micro grams per cubic meter". The reports suggest that the abnormal levels continue to hover even for two days after Diwali making living hazardous for Jammuites for a continuous period of well over 100 hours, adds Lal Chand "The ambient air quality is worst on Dewali day and continues to be bad even for two days after Diwali as per our air control monitoring data being collected using Respirable dust Sampler placed at SPCB station, MAM stadium, Jewel, Jammu and at our office complex at Narwal". On a much positive note however, he advises that the media needs to play a vital role in highlighting the adverse effect on health that these vulgar use of fire crackers have.
All this has a negative effect on health of people cautions Dr. Rabinder Rattan Pal, chest disease specialist and Medical Superintendent Govt Chest Diseases Hospital, Jammu, "The bad air quality due to busting of crackers on Diwali has an adverse effect on lungs so much so that it can lead to asthmatic attacks, the worst hit being those who already have a complain of asthma for their disease gets aggravated", while further noting, "Every year we admit patients in ICUs under emergency conditions of asthmatic attacks on and after Diwali and more often than not the cause of their ailment is air pollution caused by busting of mountains of crackers which release alarming levels of carbon monoxide and sulfur dioxide", adding, "such attacks occur to those who are on the extremes of age either being elderly or tender both having low levels of immunity".
There are some positive take aways says Lal Chand, "There is a slight change in attitude taking place thanks to the coverage of Media. And many people now opt for an unadulterated way of celebrating Diwali, with a less noisy place and a desire to reconnect with the people. This has also generated a sense of hope in the administration that something positive can be achieved after working at the enhancing of awareness levels which would bear fruits for sure", adding, " We at J&K SPCB are doing our best in generating awareness in the society and have plans to employ the media vehicle in generating the awareness among the masses".
Let us hope that better sense will prevail this time round. And then considering the fallibility of human nature we always turn to the Vedic Kaal Manta which says it all by accepting the seeker's admission of his sense of limitedness and his heartfelt cry for assistance in transcendence.

^^^ aunty diwali khatm ho gayi hai......ab toh jaan baksho :D

^^^ aunty diwali khatm ho gayi hai......ab toh jaan baksho :D
Abhi bhai dooj aur govardhan puja ka din baki hai.I've to start separate thread for bhai dooj like rakhsahbandhan one.

14th nov. is govardhan puja
15th is bhai dooj

i think

Abhi bhai dooj aur govardhan puja ka din baki hai.I've to start separate thread for bhai dooj like rakhsahbandhan one.

Do you need Panchang ????

@ajtr

beautifully put, thats what it is now, how much you spend and how you make sure that people know that you spent that much
our Qurbani Eid is reduced to showing off how big our poor sacrificial animal was and if its big and in multiple number then its paraded in the face of the people what better way to "earn" Approval from Allah and the envy from the neighbors what a bargain.

commercialism has sucked the soul out of these festivities. I bet every channel you turn to you will be bombarded with deals and bargains from famous brands and shops.

This is not what Divali is about
1352770511227lt1.jpg

I have been a regular visitor to the Divali Nagar for as long as I can remember, but for the first time this year I can safely state that the Nagar and its activities can only lead to the detriment of the festival.
The Nagar now contains an aggressive commercial element, as well as a superficial arrogance which would only lead those who are looking for the true meaning of Divali to seek it elsewhere, or at least to practise the festival differently.
I refer to the increasingly commercial aspect of the festivities. Divali is not about making money or being popular. I have seen over the years where the commercialisation of Divali has met with resistance, but it seems to have gotten a foothold. It is all about business. From the illusionary entrance, which is so spiritual, as Hanuman presides over all that enters, perhaps feeling sorry for their soon-to-be-lightened purses, you are then greeted by the corporate temples displaying their goods for sales. The commandment: "Thou shalt buy!"
This is continued by the food sellers whose prices are $6 and up for items normally priced at $4 and up. Mind you there is no improvement in the product; in fact it leaves a lot to be desired. What is evident are the streams of customers who cannot seem to get enough of these tasty morsels, because they are at the Nagar. This is not what Divali is about, and certainly like her abused sister Christmas, I would hate to see Divali go down that point of no return.
Then there are the shows. Who chooses the performers? There seems to be a barrage of political messages, not-so-subtly disguised as greetings, awards and tokens.
It seems the stage shows are brilliant lures for those who need to make that extra dollar, or those who need to hawk their message, reinforce their mantras, shake a few hands and then be hustled into their waiting air conditioned vehicles.
The saving grace in all of this is the neatly tucked away folk theatre area that has some spiritual significance — a nice, small area filled with pundits, eager to share their knowledge.
It is such a shame that the masses are hoodwinked into thinking that the Nagar is actually uplifting and preserving our Indo culture. It is more correct to say that Indian culture is being carefully used to satisfy business and financial agendas. The marketing is effective, the creation of a pseudo cultural need that translates into brisk trade works for everyone. Of course this does not augur well for the true meaning of the festival since in time the message will be lost and it will become all glitz and glamour.
I can only hope that the intellectual base in our society sees the myopia in their actions, or have they been so dazzled by the bright lights that the business of Divali has become just that, business? It is so sad; with the erosion of our culture through commercialisation we would only be left practising one belief — the testament of the dollar! Happy Divali

I thought religious discussions were banned. But for some, there are no rules. :lol:

@ajtr

beautifully put, thats what it is now, how much you spend and how you make sure that people know that you spent that much
our Qurbani Eid is reduced to showing off how big our poor sacrificial animal was and if its big and in multiple number then its paraded in the face of the people what better way to "earn" Approval from Allah and the envy from the neighbors what a bargain.

commercialism has sucked the soul out of these festivities. I bet every channel you turn to you will be bombarded with deals and bargains from famous brands and shops.

Bold part in your post reminds me arguing about same point in one of the " post your bakra pics thread" right here on pdf last month at Eid -al-Adha.Then also i had my detractors like this thread.:D

I thought religious discussions were banned. But for some, there are no rules. :lol:
"you think so".......:no:........ch.ch.ch..................:rofl:

"you think so".................................:rofl:
Yup, I don't have immunity an I don't know what to believe on PDF. After all its your sasural out here. :lol:

BTW why not you don't use internet and pay the money saved to some needy ones. :D

Yup, I don't have immunity an I don't know what to believe on PDF. After all its your sasural out here. :lol:

BTW why not you don't use internet and pay the money saved to some needy ones. :D
I'm readying one more bombshell for Bhai duj.so sit tight.fasten you seat belt.
As for net its gonna remain here even if i live or not.Something necessary for others cant be snapped up as you wish too.

Diwali is not about culture anymore, it’s about money

Defending the motion
AnantRangaswami

What are the words one associates with Diwali nowadays? Shopping. New clothes. Card parties. Alcohol. Week end off. Food. New movie releases. New car. New flat-screen TV. New washing machine. Andd what do we experience? An atmosphere that is polluted both by noise and by smoke. There’s hardly a mention of the religious significance of the day, whether it’s in the context of the Goddess Lakshmi or the return of Rama, Sita and Lakshman to Ayodhya. Indeed, I’d be surprised if many under 15 even know why this festival is celebrated. There’s the air of one-upmanship, where the amount of firecrackers one buys is more than the neighbour’s, that the clothes that you buy carry a more expensive label, the scotch that you serve comes from a more reputed distillery. Money rules on Diwali. It’s become a celebration of money and all the things that money can buy. And in all the din, the roots of the festival are forgotten.

Against the motion
SimantikDowerah

Everything—that includes the celebration of festivals too—must move on with time. Considering that, Diwali has never become over-commercialised. Diwali in the 70s will certainly look dull in comparison to say -- 2012. The argument of over-commercialisation does not stand because during the 70s, people must have considered Diwali of the 40s to be sober and over the top in their own era. Over-commercialisation is a relative concept. Buying new clothes, gifting friends and relatives, decorating the house and spending on fireworks is an all-time Diwali trend. What only changes is the visibility of the celebrations. Now retail houses go berserk with Diwali offers, TV soap operas them and social media has friends and strangers exchanging wishes equally. During festivals, traders have always lured people to sell more. Diwali is no exception except today we notice it more, thanks to the boom in the media and advertising.

** vote here see the result yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom