What's new

Why does India keep renaming their cities?

And I found these proposed changes coming up in India:

Ahmedabad to Karnavati
Allahabad to Tirth Raj Prayag
Aurangabad to Sambhajinagar
Delhi to Indraprastha
Patna to Pataliputra
Alibag to Shribag
Hyderabad to Bhagyanagaram
Alibag to Shribag

My mother will never call her birthplace Patna "Pataliputra" or whatever, & I am sure no one in Delhi will call Delhi Indraprastha, the same case with Ahmedabad. Some names like Thiruvananthapuram I cannot even pronounce, I was wondering how many north Indians can pronounce the name of this city right. How do you pronounce it?

you can pronounce Schwarzenegger or Navratilova .. but cannot pronounce Thiruvananthapuram??

Pakistan has missiles with names of indian cities written over them as destination in an event of war..so we have to update the paintjob:agree:
kindly co-operate and if there are more cities with changed names,mention them here:agree:

Cool observation... But that should not be difficult .. you guys are masters of missile paintjob..arent you?

Pakistan has missiles with names of indian cities written over them as destination in an event of war..so we have to update the paintjob:agree:
kindly co-operate and if there are more cities with changed names,mention them here:agree:

Thats the reason, I like Pakistani authorities. Neither they use to change the name of their cities, nor we need to change the name of their cities on our missiles.:lol:

The question is how many people in india call bombay as mumbai or calcutta as kolkatta or bangalore as bengaluru. Nobody forces you to take the new nmaes , most people in India still use the old names.Bilal , you can use the old names don't worry.

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Heck!! they also changed the name of my city- Gurugram to Gurgaon!!

gurgaon is better .

This is a slang... Plz don't ask to elaborate

Also 'Bhag DK Bose.. Andhi aayi' song has been derived from Bhojpuri slang ' Bhag Bhosdi anhi(Andhi) aail'

You don't have to. I know what it means.

The Biharis are some of the most innovative ones in this department at least. ;)

And I found these proposed changes coming up in India:

Ahmedabad to Karnavati
Allahabad to Tirth Raj Prayag
Aurangabad to Sambhajinagar
Delhi to Indraprastha
Patna to Pataliputra
Alibag to Shribag
Hyderabad to Bhagyanagaram
Alibag to Shribag

My mother will never call her birthplace Patna "Pataliputra" or whatever, & I am sure no one in Delhi will call Delhi Indraprastha, the same case with Ahmedabad. Some names like Thiruvananthapuram I cannot even pronounce, I was wondering how many north Indians can pronounce the name of this city right. How do you pronounce it?

dont worry , these names wont change.......

most of these names are muslim names , and our politicians in power wont dare change their names for fear of offending the muslim vote-bank on which they depend to come to power .

the only ones being changed are anglicised names , as the anglo-indian minority ( yes , it exists !! ) is too small to be an important vote-bank .

Needless bait .

Wonder who updates the names / locations for suicide bombers inside Pakistan ?

@ the subject, changing names is a natural process for a variety of reasons .Peking is now called Bejing, Canton I think is now called Guangzhou , Saigon is now HCMC, the capital of BD too is spelt differently, Ceylon became Sri lanka. In some cases it is in line with local pronunciations and in some cases it is to earn brownie points when there are no issues to create by politicians to remain relevant.

This is a part of evolution, english language has over the years added so many new words and accepted new spellings for the same word.

Check these links & you will understand what I am trying to put across.

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&so...sg=AFQjCNGeMJalrcnPkncHrLgWLQoyXys1Ww&cad=rja

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&so...sg=AFQjCNEong836mGyqmER2v2ISuChnPJXBQ&cad=rja

me too...... even i know bhojpuri very well... anyone bihari around here??
:yahoo:

Bilal haider has bihari roots.

Bhaiyya tohaar ka nao ba? Hamaar nao Bilal Haider ba, gaon Khujwa, Siwan District Bihar mein.

Mine is in Muhammadabad area. by the way I have spent lots of days in Reotipur.

'Kul bhojpuri bole wala logan ke namskar'

tu to saaran jila ke bagal mein nikala. hamni ke rishtedaari ba udhar. :lol:

Bihar jila ke kon kon bate yaha ?? :rofl:

Sab Bihar-UP wale ko Namaskar..

Back
Top Bottom