What's new

Why didn't India take control of bangladesh?

Therapy Canada :: Your source for finding a psychotherapist in Canada

You really seem like you need one, so thought I would help :tup:

Adhoms instead of facts
How very Hindu of you ;)

btw, a quote from John F Kenedy about India after it invaded Goa

“You spend the last fifteen years preaching morality to us, and then you go ahead and act the way any normal country would behave.... People are saying, the preacher has been caught coming out of the brothel.”

Source

Hypocrisy is in the very nature of Indians and their culture as JFK and the wold found out.

Adhoms instead of facts
How very Hindu of you ;)

“You spend the last fifteen years preaching morality to us, and then you go ahead and act the way any normal country would behave.... People are saying, the preacher has been caught coming out of the brothel.”

Source

Hypocrisy is in the very nature of Indians and their culture as JFK and the wold found out.

Since we are crossing the lines into religious insults now, my one piece of advice for you would be stick to suicide bombings like your people normally do and leave the factual discussions to the more sane people in this world ;)

Adhoms instead of facts
How very Hindu of you ;)

Source

Since when Pakistanis started admiring America. :rofl:

Since we are crossing the lines into religious insults now, my one piece of advice for you would be stick to suicide bombings like your people normally do and leave the factual discussions to the more sane people in this world ;)

My bad, I meant internet Hindu. I apologize for this mistake.
So lets do that again.

Adhoms instead of facts
How very Internet Hindu of you ;)

now lets see if you have the balls to reply in kind.
My guess is no

My bad, I meant internet Hindu. I apologize for this mistake.
So lets do that again.

Adhoms instead of facts
How very Internet Hindu of you ;)

now lets see if you have the balls to reply in kind.
My guess is no

Ok add internet Muslims to my post too then instead of normal Muslims :P

Ok add internet Muslims to my post too then instead of normal Muslims :P

just as I thought
looking-for-their-balls.jpg

Regardless, you are now just descending on typical internet Hindu behavior of ad homs, emotional attacks and just frothing at the mouth.
Time to move on. :coffee:

Bangladeshis never waned to be with us (partition was hardly 30 years before that). Also, a superpower was against us, we could not even threaten west pakistan because of that. It could have widen the conflict and brought US and russia into conflict.

The whole idea of doing it in within 2 weeks was to not let world opinion and superpowers get on our back. 1965 is a good pointer as to what happens in a prolonged indo pak conflict.

I agree here fully. I also do not believe the local people wished it in the first place. No one has produced a single article in this regard that Bangladeshis or any other nation have any interest in joining India. The world has changed in many years I guess.

I just noticed and remembered some comments made by members before. They said that the countries have a Muslim majority so they should be left alone. Instead Nepal should be something that they concentrated on. :D

I wish you were there to actually tell that to some of the members that on the thread. It was a really fun thread but also made a statement of growing Indian assertiveness. Indians are basically proud of recent victories on the economic front and are thus advocating such concepts of union with Maldives.

The possibility seems slim. 200 years ago constant war resulted in a change of borders almost constantly. This resulted in people having no real loyalty to any other state. However today giving up citizenship for that of another state is well... also Maldives has an interest in protecting their language as well. The ones I have talked to are highly secular in their outlook of the world but that country is based on one ethnic group. Usually from experience nations based on ethnicity and nations that are amalgamations of various ethnic groups usually find themselves at odds.

Ya I had to agree, that many members had said what you had stated. However its my belief, that Nepal would be a tough state to integrate than even Maldives.
Nepal along with Bhutan have been fiercely independent nations. So there is no way, they will give up their powerfull fierce independence to integrate with us. And I also believe, if India had accepted Nepal's request to join us in 1950, surely there would have been terrorist organisations now.
Secondly, Maldivians may be united much more on the basis of same ethnicity and language. However it cannot ignore the fact that its islands are going under water. Many small atolls have already been submerged. It was not for fun, when Nasheed started to ask for Guarentee from nations like India, SL , Australia in case his nation submerges around 2100 AD. Again the transfer of population cannot take place without joining with any of the nation nearby.

I, have no first hand knowledge of mindset of Maldivian people. But is it true that people are increasingly turning to Wahabbism there? (Talking what i have seen in news reports) . Like destruction of their past heritage, statues given by SAARC nations etc.

The population of maldives must embrace the constitution of the nation, they wish to join(if they wish), and those who cannot, can migrate to other nations, who offers them asylum.

This is not meant to be a troll thread, just want someone to point me to the right direction to read more about Indian motivations (or lack there of ) of not making Bangladesh part of India after Pakistani defeat? Was it part of a deal with the Bangladeshis and Pakistanis?

From what I understand (Wikipedia and google) India couldn't take control of Bangladesh, because although they were at conflict with west Pakistan, they wanted a Muslim country of their own and not be lumped back with India? Just need a more authentic source and not your "opinion" on this matter.

Thanks

because they had the awami league to do it for them...

This is not meant to be a troll thread, just want someone to point me to the right direction to read more about Indian motivations (or lack there of ) of not making Bangladesh part of India after Pakistani defeat? Was it part of a deal with the Bangladeshis and Pakistanis?

From what I understand (Wikipedia and google) India couldn't take control of Bangladesh, because although they were at conflict with west Pakistan, they wanted a Muslim country of their own and not be lumped back with India? Just need a more authentic source and not your "opinion" on this matter.

Thanks

hi

India went for best option...

1. People of East Pakistan or East Bengal used to hate Indians more than Pakistanis. The alliance they formed with Indians was temporary just to get rid of Pakistan. Gandhi knew it well occupying Bengal would cost India more... As one poster already said it

If we had annexed BD then sooner or later we would have had to deal with a major insurgency there. They wanted freedom not reunification with us. The insurgency would have engulfed WB and even parts of Assam.It would have much damage to us then help. Our leaders realized that .

Muktis had enough weapons to start a war immediately....

So India went for the best option and that was a deal signed 3-4 months before victory - " No Military for Bangladesh and Indian officials to run BD govt)

Bhutto realized the situation just after 16th December and tried to tackle it by freeing Mujib. Mujib wanted to reunite Pakistan ( he never wanted the separation , he just wanted power like all other politicians). Mujib couldnt do it fearing public outrage, But managed to get rid of Indian soldiers. Situation was getting worse on the ground. One sector commander was arrested for preventing Indian officers from taking pakistani weapons (during war BD was divided into 11 sector under 11 commanders).

Muktis were led by Ex pakistani bengali officers , almost all of them were 1965 war veterans. Do you think they would allow India to occupy BD peacefully??

Adhoms instead of facts
How very Hindu of you ;)

Source

I wanted to thank this post... the second half, especially the quote by Kennedy.

Frankly I have grown up in a time when sanctions were imposed on Pakistan for its nuclear tests while none such were imposed on India including that on the Smiling Buddha test which was the precursor to this nuclear arms race. A few years ago they signed a nuke deal together and this same nuke deal was refused to Pakistan despite crippling electricity shortages and Pakistan's interest in such a deal.

It is believed to be the reason Shah Mehmood Qureshi quit PPP and he is one of the few Nationalist politicians I have ever heard of. The book this link led to showed another side of the picture I haven't seen in my entire life. An India and a US that are hostile. It seems that US is as unreliable as a cheating wife secretly involved in the adult industry.

However I believe despite a "neutral person's" constant trolling and support for RSS type forces it is not right to insult Hindus. Do remember we have a large number here at home in Pakistan too and they make up 8.5% of the population of Sindh. I believe it is a responsibility for this forum to attract people with varying views-that includes beliefs. We should do everything to separate Nationality from religion to ensure this and make them feel welcome.

Rest of your post is perfect and updated my knowledge.

Ya I had to agree, that many members had said what you had stated. However its my belief, that Nepal would be a tough state to integrate than even Maldives.
Nepal along with Bhutan have been fiercely independent nations. So there is no way, they will give up their powerfull fierce independence to integrate with us. And I also believe, if India had accepted Nepal's request to join us in 1950, surely there would have been terrorist organisations now.
Secondly, Maldivians may be united much more on the basis of same ethnicity and language. However it cannot ignore the fact that its islands are going under water. Many small atolls have already been submerged. It was not for fun, when Nasheed started to ask for Guarentee from nations like India, SL , Australia in case his nation submerges around 2100 AD. Again the transfer of population cannot take place without joining with any of the nation nearby.

The reasons were stated in the article too. Also there are ways to prevent the ocean from swallowing Maldives. Some of the islands are higher and can be used in case sea levels rise. Another thing is there are things that can be done. Dykes can be built, soil erosion can be stopped. Floating islands are already being produced.

I, have no first hand knowledge of mindset of Maldivian people. But is it true that people are increasingly turning to Wahabbism there? (Talking what i have seen in news reports) . Like destruction of their past heritage, statues given by SAARC nations etc.

The population of maldives must embrace the constitution of the nation, they wish to join(if they wish), and those who cannot, can migrate to other nations, who offers them asylum.

My contact is mostly with secular modern Maldivians and that also I have not met them personally... so its online. What I have seen is they are extremely worried about is indeed the rise of Wahabism. All secularists are worried about it but I guess there are reasons behind it too. For example if you look at the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan you will notice there is a proportional rise in terror attacks worldwide since these invasions.

I am not speaking in support of the Wahabi's. quite contrary as I am from the secular camp albeit with a lot of Nationalist ideology and sentiment. The thing is the entire issue has sparked terrorism worldwide-the number of major terror attacks increasing year by year in various nations. Now there are 2 types of people that are born. 1 are the liberals and the other Islamists. Its opened a chasm that has always been there but somehow dormant. Now our ideologies are at loggerheads. You see the same thing in Maldives.

When Ibn Batuta traveled to Maldives (and was appointed Qazi ending up giving hard justice :lol: ) even in the 14th century what he saw there was a passive form of Islam where people called themselves Muslim but barely abided by most of the rulings. The women traveled half naked, people barely prayed and religion was barely observed. Historically Maldives has always been secular and largely disengaged from religion.

However the war on terror has turned fanatics of lots of people. I have seen it in the family too with an aunt joining the Jamaat-E-Islami, a friend turning religious suddenly. So basically I think this is global. People are either fighting for religious freedom or getting closer to Islamist thought. The Maldivians I have talked to are very worried about the changes on that island nation brought by people who are turning to Wahabism. It has to do with the history and culture of the island. Examples of growing fanaticism would be the blasphemy case that resulted in flogging of a 16 year old and a mob that tried to stone a man for alleged blasphemy, furthermore dance which is a part of ancient Dhivehian culture was actually banned but the Islamic minister. So Maldivians fear creeping Islamicization.

Also I was trying to explain this to our favorite troll on PDF, @KS but he didn't understand... there is a guy named Mohammed Shaheem Ali Saeed who is the minister for Islamic affairs. He called for "Jihad against India". You can google it and find out. So basically people don't know about Maldivian sentiment when they make the suggestion. :D

Even the secular guys I talked to didn't have a favorable opinion towards India. I believe it may have to do with no country likes to be dependent on another. Pakistan on US, Bangladesh or Maldives on India, Afghanistan on Pakistan... you will notice a lot of people in each of these cases with negative thoughts about the other.

Was it legal Indian territory?

You are one of the lower IQ Indians on here so I don't expect you understand what that means. You already said yourself you have a hard time understanding English.

So I will say this so you can understand.

If India need to use BOOM BOOM to get land, that means it was not their land in the first place.

r u such a born moron?

if the brits did not give independence,wud u waiting forever?

so,all those countries in SA and the USA which fought and won independence are idiots?

I wanted to thank this post... the second half, especially the quote by Kennedy.

Frankly I have grown up in a time when sanctions were imposed on Pakistan for its nuclear tests while none such were imposed on India including that on the Smiling Buddha test which was the precursor to this nuclear arms race. A few years ago they signed a nuke deal together and this same nuke deal was refused to Pakistan despite crippling electricity shortages and Pakistan's interest in such a deal.

It is believed to be the reason Shah Mehmood Qureshi quit PPP and he is one of the few Nationalist politicians I have ever heard of. The book this link led to showed another side of the picture I haven't seen in my entire life. An India and a US that are hostile. It seems that US is as unreliable as a cheating wife secretly involved in the adult industry.

However I believe despite a "neutral person's" constant trolling and support for RSS type forces it is not right to insult Hindus. Do remember we have a large number here at home in Pakistan too and they make up 8.5% of the population of Sindh. I believe it is a responsibility for this forum to attract people with varying views-that includes beliefs. We should do everything to separate Nationality from religion to ensure this and make them feel welcome.

Rest of your post is perfect and updated my knowledge.

The reasons were stated in the article too. Also there are ways to prevent the ocean from swallowing Maldives. Some of the islands are higher and can be used in case sea levels rise. Another thing is there are things that can be done. Dykes can be built, soil erosion can be stopped. Floating islands are already being produced.

My contact is mostly with secular modern Maldivians and that also I have not met them personally... so its online. What I have seen is they are extremely worried about is indeed the rise of Wahabism. All secularists are worried about it but I guess there are reasons behind it too. For example if you look at the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan you will notice there is a proportional rise in terror attacks worldwide since these invasions.

I am not speaking in support of the Wahabi's. quite contrary as I am from the secular camp albeit with a lot of Nationalist ideology and sentiment. The thing is the entire issue has sparked terrorism worldwide-the number of major terror attacks increasing year by year in various nations. Now there are 2 types of people that are born. 1 are the liberals and the other Islamists. Its opened a chasm that has always been there but somehow dormant. Now our ideologies are at loggerheads. You see the same thing in Maldives.

When Ibn Batuta traveled to Maldives (and was appointed Qazi ending up giving hard justice :lol: ) even in the 14th century what he saw there was a passive form of Islam where people called themselves Muslim but barely abided by most of the rulings. The women traveled half naked, people barely prayed and religion was barely observed. Historically Maldives has always been secular and largely disengaged from religion.

However the war on terror has turned fanatics of lots of people. I have seen it in the family too with an aunt joining the Jamaat-E-Islami, a friend turning religious suddenly. So basically I think this is global. People are either fighting for religious freedom or getting closer to Islamist thought. The Maldivians I have talked to are very worried about the changes on that island nation brought by people who are turning to Wahabism. It has to do with the history and culture of the island. Examples of growing fanaticism would be the blasphemy case that resulted in flogging of a 16 year old and a mob that tried to stone a man for alleged blasphemy, furthermore dance which is a part of ancient Dhivehian culture was actually banned but the Islamic minister. So Maldivians fear creeping Islamicization.

Also I was trying to explain this to our favorite troll on PDF, @KS but he didn't understand... there is a guy named Mohammed Shaheem Ali Saeed who is the minister for Islamic affairs. He called for "Jihad against India". You can google it and find out. So basically people don't know about Maldivian sentiment when they make the suggestion. :D

Even the secular guys I talked to didn't have a favorable opinion towards India. I believe it may have to do with no country likes to be dependent on another. Pakistan on US, Bangladesh or Maldives on India, Afghanistan on Pakistan... you will notice a lot of people in each of these cases with negative thoughts about the other.

this pot of urs is bigger than maldives.

Adhoms instead of facts
How very Hindu of you ;)

Source

why r people like john f kennedy so important here?

if jfk is right then why not george bush and the drone attacks?

They were so pathetic trying to support Portugal.

So India went for the best option and that was a deal signed 3-4 months before victory - " No Military for Bangladesh and Indian officials to run BD govt)

Bhutto realized the situation just after 16th December and tried to tackle it by freeing Mujib. Mujib wanted to reunite Pakistan ( he never wanted the separation , he just wanted power like all other politicians). Mujib couldnt do it fearing public outrage, But managed to get rid of Indian soldiers. Situation was getting worse on the ground. One sector commander was arrested for preventing Indian officers from taking pakistani weapons (during war BD was divided into 11 sector under 11 commanders).

Muktis were led by Ex pakistani bengali officers , almost all of them were 1965 war veterans. Do you think they would allow India to occupy BD peacefully??

It was the aerial or sea blockage by India which hardly hit the Pakistan army. Pakistan people knew about surrender only after two days i.e. 18th December.

The main reason for not taking over Bangladesh was that the political scenario which India played was that it was trying to liberate the population from oppression. If they had tried to take over then the US, which at the time had R. Nixon as the President who did not side with India would have played the political scenario to in the Cold War dichotomy and the Indian state would have suffered. Do recall that the 1971 debacle was not just a military victory but a political one: the international community did not side with Pakistan, and secondly the world saw India emerge as a regional power successfully entering and managing a regional inter-state conflict to its own flavour. So taking over Bangladesh would have undone all these successes. Indian political will was wiser and did its best in the circumstances.

These two points of urs is very much true and relevent ! Thanks

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom