What's new

Why didn't India take control of bangladesh?

This criteria alone is not the need for rejection of the idea by many people, including me. If by your word, we occupy bangladesh and now Maldives, the image India have maintained will take a great beating.
We will be looked like a 'expansionist' state. Even many wanted to reject the idea of Bhutan, Nepal joining with us.

I agree here fully. I also do not believe the local people wished it in the first place. No one has produced a single article in this regard that Bangladeshis or any other nation have any interest in joining India. The world has changed in many years I guess.

I just noticed and remembered some comments made by members before. They said that the countries have a Muslim majority so they should be left alone. Instead Nepal should be something that they concentrated on. :D

But the real issue is, the request for joining the Union must come from them. We cannot ask.

I wish you were there to actually tell that to some of the members that on the thread. It was a really fun thread but also made a statement of growing Indian assertiveness. Indians are basically proud of recent victories on the economic front and are thus advocating such concepts of union with Maldives.

If Maldives themselves ask to join us through their parliament, then why not. It was just an opinion of a MP. Thats it.

The possibility seems slim. 200 years ago constant war resulted in a change of borders almost constantly. This resulted in people having no real loyalty to any other state. However today giving up citizenship for that of another state is well... also Maldives has an interest in protecting their language as well. The ones I have talked to are highly secular in their outlook of the world but that country is based on one ethnic group. Usually from experience nations based on ethnicity and nations that are amalgamations of various ethnic groups usually find themselves at odds.

We in Bangladesh, there is a constant debate whether it was the right decision to depart from Pakistan but there were never a debate whether it was a wrong decision departing from India. Nobody wanted to be part of India, not then and not now. But WB and Tripura and part of Assam is welcome to join us.. :D

We in Bangladesh, there is a constant debate whether it was the right decision to depart from Pakistan but there were never a debate whether it was a wrong decision departing from India. Nobody wanted to be part of India, not then and not now. But WB and Tripura and part of Assam is welcome to join us.. :D

Because joining you is what these people are clamoring to do anyways. Ah - Bangladeshi citizenship....the ultimate dream of every Indian....

Not even a single guy in NE want to be a part of Bangladesh .

The guys from NE will attest for that .

Any one with an iota of knowledge of the history of South Asian Partition will know that India, Pakistan and Bangladesh will never ever be together again. It was a disastrous divorce with huge collateral damages, where neither spouse wanted to see the others face. If seen this context its not hard to understand why India never wanted to be together with (occupy) Bangladesh even though we had run over them (East Pakistan) in 71.

The Indians doesn't have any love lost for Bangladeshis and vice versa. The only reason we helped them in 1971 was to split Pakistan into two so that we don't have to fight a three front War in future. Though since then the Chinese have been much more smarter and with a focus on Economy they have mostly lost an appetite for a War. That has left only Pakistan on the West which is now easily manageable. The merger of two hostile population is a disaster for both.

To OP: The innocence of this question is only valid as long as you are not an ethnic South Asian.

Watch today's news. No protest just because the victims don't belong to Delhi.
True, certain things definitely be changed in India until every single woman feels safe.

However I was responding to your statement that women in general are safer in BD, which is not the case according to those statistics. The difference is that our media is a lot more voiceferous regarding this issue.

kya CH baat ker di ap ne .bangladesh will be EU soon :) i am trying to get visa from now

EU se Bangladesh ka comparison kar ke Bangladesh ki insult kar di hai. Bangladesh will be soon the new Super Power. How dare you compare it with EU. The class of Bangladesh is unmatched.

Soon many Pakistanis will also line up to get Bangladeshi Citizenship just like those in NE India do :azn:

True, certain things definitely be changed in India until every single woman feels safe. However I was responding to your statement that women in general are safer in BD, which is not the case according to those statistics. The difference is that our media is a lot more voiceferous regarding this issue.
Well we have propagating a type of protest asking all women not to go to their jobs in private and govt. agencies except important services like Hospitals, reduce going to markets to hurt these companies and govt. so that they have to take the actions.

No need to go anywhere for protest. Just take leave of absence saying taking leave for protest against crimes against women.

Well we have propagating a type of protest asking all women not to go to their jobs in private and govt. agencies except important services like Hospitals, reduce going to markets to hurt these companies and govt. so that they have to take the actions.

No need to go anywhere for protest. Just take leave of absence saying taking leave for protest against crimes against women.

Well to say the truth this is not going to help. How long are they planning to go on leave of absence. This example reminded me of Mumbai attacks and the fact that people were back on the streets the very next day. Most people (including women) are on the street because they have to.

The issue is much more deeper Socio Cultural issue and it will take time to create awareness and change people (yes both men & women) attitude. Though these protests are step in the right direction since it hastens the pace at which this awareness is getting created.

Because the only reason India got involved in the war was to ease the influx of refugees coming from BD.

Annexing BD was never the intention of India. And as far as I know, there was not much will from either India or BD people to join one another, because we are separate people with different identities, hence different nationalities.

Well to say the truth this is not going to help. How long are they planning to go on leave of absence. This example reminded me of Mumbai attacks and the fact that people were back on the streets the very next day. Most people (including women) are on the street because they have to.The issue is much more deeper Socio Cultural issue and it will take time to create awareness and change people (yes both men & women) attitude. Though these protests are step in the right direction since it hastens the pace at which this awareness is getting created.
Actually similar things worked. A girl was raped in a mall. Girls from Delhi stopped going to Gurgaon as protest. Sales dropped.Govt. and mall owners increased the security as it was hurting the economy and the earnings of powerful people.

Hurt where it hurts the most. A powerful person needs money to be in power. If you challenge it, you can make him to come to your terms.

Its way better than candle march and holding a banner. Well its an idea. Still working on it.

Answer is another question - Why should anyone in their right mind take control of bangladesh ???

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom