What's new

Why did Sonia Gandhi turn down Indian premiership?

Ours is not a presidential form of governance. People vote for the party or combination(UPA). UPA won, not sonia gandhi.

So what if it's not presidential? People voted for the UPA of which Congress is the main party of which Sonia Gandhi is the leader.

So the Indian population preferred her to the Indian leaders available.

She is not of indian ethnicity and her takeover will create rift between different groups in india.

Hello guys i need to know why did SONIA not take up the PM post when she had the chance ?
I ask this because during recent election i went to most rally organized by congress and its allies and in 2 occasion they Insisted SONIA did not want PM post and she sacrificed it so she can better serve.

But i really have a doubt about it as i have heard its not possible for an an foreign citizen to be PM is it true ?
I searched web and found SONIA is Indian citizen only as per wiki

so is it like PM must be an Indian born citizen ?
Also here i found it Article 84 states PM must be "an citizen of India" nothing like must be born in India

SO I ASK WHY DID REALLY SHE TURNED DOWN THE OFFER ?
Did she really less care for post and authority or scared to take up such high post or what ?:undecided: please share your views

So what if it's not presidential? People voted for the UPA of which Congress is the main party of which Sonia Gandhi is the leader.

So she is the leader of the main party of the combination that came to power. But this can be seen as people voting for her?
I am not sure whether you know about politics in India but people vote for party. The only time when the contest was like presidential election in recent history was when Vajpayee was elected. Rest all (PV Narshimha Rao, Gujral, Deve Dowda etc) became PM because of party and combination of them got majority.

BTW party president is an organizational post, usually PM is not party president. Vajpayee was not party president when he got elected.

No, Its Not Necessary that The Leader of the Party has to Stand for Elections, People will not vote for Congress again if Manmohan Singh was not made PM... And she very well Knows that, Besides that, PM seat has never been lucky for her family.... Manmohan Singh is Peoples leader, And People Wanted him and We have him....

the impression i get is this.

Sonia Gandhi was leader of Congress. Congress is the main part of the UPA alliance.

During elections Indians voted for the UPA alliance. Therefore they voted for her and not Singh.

Singh was put in because they feared the backlash if a non Indian ruled India. But the people preferred the non Indian.

Sonia Gandhi was leader of Congress. Congress is the main part of the UPA alliance.

During elections Indians voted for the UPA alliance. Therefore they voted for her and not Singh.

Singh was put in because they feared the backlash if a non Indian ruled India. But the people preferred the non Indian.

This is not applicable in India. In India usually President of Party is never becomes CM or PM. For e.g. In all states of india none CM is president of party in that region. Moreover, even Vajpayee was not president when he became PM. People in India vote for individual and party and not leader like Pakistan.

How can someone become president and pm?

Vajpayee's party was voted in through elections. Then Vajpayee took the pm role.

Sonia Gandhi was voted in through elections (her party). But she didn't take it because of the backlash it might create.

Our people don't vote for Sonia...they vote for the election candidates of congress.....Sonia is just a head of congress....She can't be PM either CM or president...She must only dream of it...
Just because she has the Gandhi Tag she is still in politics....Otherwise she would never enter India..

funny thing about our democratic system is even if one party gets more votes than other one but still has less seats than the other party who got less votes then too it cant form government..

Hardliner Hindus objected to her being leader, as she is Italian by birth

Due to the bias against her as being a one form outside , she could not

If she had there was a possibility of civil war, so in order to avert civil war the lady nominated , Man Mohan Singh

As a diplomatic move

Let me try and understand what you are trying to say here...

Hardliner Hindus objected to her being leader, as she is Italian by birth

So according to you objecting to her becoming a PM for her not being an Indian has something to do with Hinduism ! India has a population of over a billion. High chance we will find a thousand leaders like Manmohan Singh. Opposition to her taking over as a leader for your kind information has nothing to do with religion. Unlike Pakistan, religion does not play a pivotal role in Indian politics.

If she had there was a possibility of civil war, so in order to avert civil war the lady nominated , Man Mohan Singh

Who told you India is so fragile that a leader if elected and people are not happy we will have a civil war. You are probably in your teens and have no idea of the BS you have written. Grow up.

Vajpayee's party was voted in through elections. Then Vajpayee took the pm role.

Sonia Gandhi was voted in through elections (her party). But she didn't take it because of the backlash it might create.

Valpayee jee was not the leader of BJP at that time..ADWANI was..

In india to be a PM you have to be part of loksabha or rajyasabha..
MMS was not even part of loksabha so he was chosen for rajyasabha so that he can become PM..

In india to be a PM you have to be part of loksabha or rajyasabha..
MMS was not even part of loksabha so he was chosen for rajyasabha so that he can become PM..

Actually, you dont need to be member of any sabha to be PM. But you should be a member within 6 months.

If they voted for Sonia and not for the party why would their be backlash? Surely she was chosen above other leaders as per you.
Was not her foreign origin known then?

Indian election are not presidential type, whether national or state level. That does not stop parties to project an individual as PM/CM candidate if he is too popular. In case of Vajpayee he was more popular than BJP itself, people voted for him and not for BJP.

Congress never projected sonia as PM, hence developed cold feet when her foreign origin became an issue. With mass support they would not have feared that.

The current party president of BJP has very slim chance of being a PM(should I say zero) if BJP comes to power. If BJP wins, it wont be considered as people wanting Nitin Gadkari as PM, that will be absurd.

You are showing profound ignorance about Indian politics, but then you are not Indian, so its okey.

We are talking about party president(which is organizational post) and not president of India.
Vajpayee was not party president( I guess he never was) of BJP. But which campaigning he was projected as PM, hence you can say people voted for him.
On the other hand prime ministers like VP Singh, IK Gujral, HD Devagowda even PV Narsimha Rao were never projected as PM which is very normal in India(parties do not necessarily tell voters who will be PM, it is decided later)

I am sure it is not that complicated but my capability of explaining things are limited.

Back
Top Bottom