What's new

Why Colombo is the key to dominating the Indian Ocean

arp2041

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Notwithstanding the headline grabbing news of MDMK protests and an unfortunate self-immolation, the three day visit of the Sri Lankan President, Mahinda Rajapaksa, should be a time to reassess the trajectory of India-Sri Lanka ties. The decision by the Indian government to accord summit level status to Rajapaksa’s visit for the inauguration of the University of Buddhist and Indic Studies in Sanchi, Madhya Pradesh has already underlined a new seriousness on New Delhi’s part to impart a sense of dynamism to a very important relationship that seems to have become hostage to the domestic political dynamic in Tamil Nadu.

Many in India and especially in Tamil Nadu are rightfully concerned about the slow pace of the rehabilitation of Tamils in Sri Lanka and the disinclination of the Rajapaksa government to find a lasting solution to ethnic problems. The anger in Tamil Nadu at Rajapaksa’s government’s conduct during and after the war with the LTTE remains high.

The political parties in Tamil Nadu continue to exploit the Lankan Tamil card with an eye on the state electoral calculus, even though the issue had little resonance in the 2009 Lok Sabha elections.

New Delhi has repeatedly emphasised the need for urgent steps to resettle internally displaced persons and urged the government to undertake speedy rehabilitation and reconstruction efforts in Northern and Eastern Sri Lanka.

New Delhi has underlined the need for a meaningful devolution package, building on the 13th amendment that would create the necessary conditions for a lasting political settlement. The Rajapaksa government remains largely non-committal on this. But the Tamils in Sri Lanka are not going to get a better deal by attacking Sri Lankan visitors in Tamil Nadu.

The Sri Lankan president is at the height of his power after having defeated the LTTE and winning an overwhelming mandate for himself and his party. Yet his government’s human rights record is under critical scrutiny in the West and stable ties with India help him in underlining India’s backing for his government to the world.

It is important to recognise that beyond that symbolic value, Sri Lanka is rapidly slipping out of India’s orbit. India failed to exert its leverage over the humanitarian troubles that Tamils trapped in the fighting were facing. New Delhi’s attempts to end the war and avert a humanitarian tragedy in North-East Sri Lanka proved utterly futile.

Colombo’s centrality between Aden and Singapore makes it extremely significant strategically for Indian power projection possibilities. After initially following India’s lead in international affairs, even demanding that the British leave from their naval base at Trincomalee and air base at Katunayake in 1957, Colombo gradually gravitated towards a more independent foreign policy posture. And it was India’s enthusiasm for China that made Sri Lanka take China seriously, but after the Chinese victory in its 1962 war with India, Colombo started courting Beijing much more seriously. And today China has displaced Japan as Sri Lanka’s major aid donor, with an annual aid package of more than $1 billion. China is the first foreign country to have an exclusive economic zone in Sri Lanka. China is financing more than 85% of the Hambantota Development Zone to be completed over the next decade. This will include an international container port, a bunkering system, an oil refinery, an international airport and other facilities.

The port in Hambantota, deeper than the one at Colombo, is to be used as a refuelling and docking station for its navy. Though the two sides claim that this is merely a commercial venture, its future utility as a strategic asset for China remains a real possibility, to India’s consternation. China’s presence at Hambantota enhances its intelligence gathering capabilities vis-à-vis India. India has expressed its displeasure about growing Chinese involvement in Sri Lanka on a number of occasions. In 2007, India’s then national security adviser openly criticised Sri Lanka for attempting to purchase Chinese-built radar system on the grounds that it would ‘overreach’ into the Indian air space.

Yet Sri Lanka has emerged stronger and more stable after the military success in the Eelam war and two elections at the national level.

To counter Chinese influence, India has been forced to step up its diplomatic offensive and offer Colombo reconstruction aid. With the LTTE out of the picture, the Indian government had hoped it would have greater strategic space to manage bilateral ties. However, New Delhi’s diplomatic energies have been sapped trying to balance its domestic sensitivities and strategic interests.

Colombo matters because the Indian Ocean matters. The ‘great game’ of this century will be played on the waters of the Indian Ocean.

Though India’s location gives it great operational advantages in the Indian Ocean, it is by no means certain that New Delhi is in a position to hold on to its geographic advantages. China is rapidly catching up and its ties with Sri Lanka are aimed at expanding its profile in this crucial part of the world. Indian policy makers need to shape up soon or else they are in danger of losing this ‘game’ for good.

Why Colombo is the key to dominating the Indian Ocean - Analysis - DNA

If a choice is given to me, personally, family or neighbour. I would chose family anyday.

If a choice is given to me, personally, family or neighbour. I would chose family anyday.

This was decision of BJP ruled MP government to invite SL president to inaugurate a University in Sanchi.........................So your Choice of Family is wrong (BJP)

This was decision of BJP ruled MP government to invite SL president to inaugurate a University in Sanchi.........................So your Choice of Family is wrong (BJP)

As if the Congress was never in bed with the Sinhalas. Let's not make this a Congress vs BJP issue. I still remember it was the NDA govt under Vajpayee ji which brought the Lankans to the table in 2002 after the ceasefire.

As for the 'inviting' part, the BJP denies it.

A few days ago, news were doing rounds that it was Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj who had extended the invitation to Mahinda Rajapaksa, which was emphatically denied by Tamil Nadu State BJP president Pon Radhakrishnan. He said that the authority of inviting foreign heads rested with the Centre alone and added that Congress is the real culprit and hiding behind cover of rumours.

Union shipping minister and senior Congress leader, G K Vasan had told media persons on September 9 that it was the MP government that offered the invitation to Sri Lankan president and asked the media persons to check with the MP government.

Now, ‘passing the buck’ game is on play: BJP denies offering invitation – New Delhi keeps mum on the issue – a senior Congress minister asks to check with the MP government – the unflustered MP government goes about its preparations, paying no heed to the hue and cry from parties of Tamil Nadu!

‘Buck passing’ never seems to stop and no wonder India perfectly fits the image – ‘a country of not diversities but diverse stands.’

Who invited Rajapaksa to Sanchi? | TruthDiveTruthDive

then its the failure of family not the neighbour.

As if I said something different.

Can't a single family member compromise for interest of whole family ??
Afterall, we are family..

Let me ask you..Someone comes and breaks your brother's bone ..what would be your reaction ? Confronting that person or compromising ? Why would he be considered family when apparently others dont care for him or his emotions/concerns ?

And also there is no 'interest' here as people think. Especially when it means alienating an entire state.

Let me ask you..Someone comes and breaks your brother's bone ..what would be your reaction ? Confronting that person or compromising ? Why would he be considered family when apparently others dont care for him or his emotions/concerns ?

And also there is no 'interest' here as people think. Especially when it means alienating an entire state.
Very simple if I had money I will go to hospital first (To help tamil resetle) and will worry about his health.. And fighting with that person is not going to help me at all, and it will create a bad impression on other world of using my more power against that poor one..
In this world, the man with more power and money is the only culprit, the poor always gets away with sympathy from others..

Man, our brothers are technically member of their family. By confronting, you're not going to help your 'brother', remember your actions are counter productive. No power - Even US of A - can order Sri Lanka, a sovereign nation in the earth.

Don't be too emotional. Be wise for the sake of Sri Lankan Tamil Brothers.

Anyone who willing to dominate "Indian Ocean" they have to be friendly with Sri Lanka, that is what Chinese are doing at now. I don't mind if Sri Lanka help to China to archive their goal as long as we are getting the advantage.

In future India would make SL one of its states. When next world war is fought Sril Lanka will think back of the times it troubled India and wish it never happened.
SL is nothing more then a small insect for India and if SL mistakenly get delusions of becoming US due to outside support, they will have their egos smashed and India would take over SL in 2 hours.

SL just lives on India's mercy, ONE act of aggression from SL soil (doesnt matter from SL or its Friend) would give India the reason to assimilate and take control of SL forever. I just hope SL makes that first step soon during any conflict of India with other countries. SL won't get to launch or support another attack on India.

On the same note I believe India did a huge mistake by not taking over SL as Indian territory when we took over Goa. After Independence India should have claimed and taken it by now. stupid politicians.

Anyone who willing to dominate "Indian Ocean" they have to be friendly with Sri Lanka, that is what Chinese are doing at now. I don't mind if Sri Lanka help to China to archive their goal as long as we are getting the advantage.

But you can't go against India - your only neighbor - too!

btw what is your goal?

Back
Top Bottom