What's new

Why China's upcoming visit should be viewed w/ caution.

JayAtl

BANNED
Reaction score
I've made no secret about my feelings about china. But allow me to explain in-depth why this upcoming visit is critical for India and why India should be suspicious and extremely cautious.

You folks know that India's trade deficit is almost twice that of China's imports from India. China exports 2x their products to the Indian market, while only allowing India to export close to 1/2 of that figure in exports to their market. Considering their market and purchasing power and given their almost 3 X GDP over India - this should be unacceptable and rectified .

However, Divya had asked a poignant question in the Chinese forums and I'd like to share the question and my thoughts about it.

Ok trolls aside what are your views on the chinese foreign policy about India? Whats your take on it and how you expect it to be taken?

From India's perspective- With utmost suspicion. Trust but verify at every stage and the article speaks to why. What this tawdry boycott tells us about China and its friends is that they think there's nothing they can't buy and bully their way out of: morality; international laws and treaties; universal acceptance (in theory, anyway) of the importance of human rights; the need in the age of global warming to work together with the rest of the world.

Take as recent as the staple issue, Tibet / Dalia lama, or china protesting our prime minister from visiting AP, or it's ongoing build up near the border. Asking a sovereign countries Prime minister that he should not visit one of his own states! ( that takes either balls or extreme arrogance or stupidity) These kind of actions, plus their past history of a military attack on us, should be alarming w/ red flags showing up for the Indians.

China's role in other countries is also a great indicator of their design. I have no problem with them pushing for their interest BUT look at the countries that it has in-depth trade investments and relationships with. They don't just arm twist, which the US does too, but are very aggressive and come up with alarming statements tantamount to threats- even up to sanctions .

All of China’s neighbors want China to know, as the sign says: “Don’t even think about parking here.” Don’t even think about using your growing economic and military clout to just impose your claims in border disputes and over oil-rich islands in the South China Sea. Because, if you do, all of China’s neighbors — including India — will be doomed to become America’s new best friends.

That’s why each one of China’s neighbors is eager to have a picture of their president standing with Clinton or Obama — with the unspoken caption that reads: “Honestly, China, we don’t want to throttle you. We don’t want an Asian Cold War. We just want to trade and be on good terms. But, please, stay between the white lines. Don’t even think about parking in my space because, if you do, I have this friend from Washington, and he’s really big. ... And he’s got his own tow truck.”

TRUST BUT VERIFY!

Last edited:
If Obama had any guts at all, he would tell the Chinese premier to STAY HOME until you are willing to tell your crazy friend Kim Jong-Il to CUT IT OUT! The PRC is NO FRIEND of the USA and should not be treated as one.

Get over your China obsession, nobody care regarding your rant, talking about trade deficit? don't make it sounds like China responsibe for all India's deficit eh? actually India is a well known sucker in trade to the world.:lol: China is only enjoying a reasonable share.

D. TRADE BALANCE

The trade deficit for April - August, 2010 was estimated at US $ 56620 million which was higher than the deficit of US $ 40279 million during April -August, 2009.Department of Commerce, Government of India

I dont think India gives too much importance to the upcoming visit by Chinese premier.

If this was visit would have had any political significance then India would have certainly accepted Chinese demand of skipping Nobel price conference.

Its just that all the P5 leaders are visiting India and China does not want to be left behind.

@aimarraul
u r right mate
india cannot whine about the trade imbalance
it has to develop its industrial base and increase productivity
exporting just raw materials is not the right way forward
but got to say china has got to open its market up a bit or else it becomes an undue advantage for one party.
regards

I dont think India gives too much importance to the upcoming visit by Chinese premier.

If this was visit would have had any political significance then India would have certainly accepted Chinese demand of skipping Nobel price conference.

Its just that all the P5 leaders are visiting India and China does not want to be left behind.

Yes u r right,this upcoming visit dont hold any significance,at best it will b just about talking some trade,nothing at all about strategic conversation's

Indian media is showing lackluster interest in the case and India hold no significance to Chinese media(according to Chinese themselves)

And india attending the Nobel ceremony either not went unnoticed,with some Chinese diplomats expressing their anger.

So just a show off visit which will b only relegated to handshakes before camera's with a background of "WE R FRIENDS" theme.

to reduce the trade deficit ,india needs to enhance the competitiveness of her products,countries like Japan,S.Korea,Australia run a trade surplus with china every year

for starters- China levies High traffic on Indian goods! it needs to import more Indian engineering, automobile and auto part products and open up its market to Indian pharmaceuticals, fruits, vegetables, processed food, IT and IT-enabled services.

China has opened its health sector to global investors and should allow the internationally rated Indian hospital groups to invest in the sector.

If Obama had any guts at all, he would tell the Chinese premier to STAY HOME until you are willing to tell your crazy friend Kim Jong-Il to CUT IT OUT! The PRC is NO FRIEND of the USA and should not be treated as one.

Obama didn't say it, Bush didn't say it... so do you think that Bush had no guts as well?

NK detonated a nuke in 2006 and what did Bush do about it?

for starters- China levies High traffic on Indian goods! it needs to import more Indian engineering, automobile and auto part products and open up its market to Indian pharmaceuticals, fruits, vegetables, processed food, IT and IT-enabled services.

China has opened its health sector to global investors and should allow the internationally rated Indian hospital groups to invest in the sector.

Why should we do that? The current situation is good for us, and the GoI doesn't say anything about it anyway.

If you're going to talk about protectionism, the US, China, EU and India have all used protectionist measures to protect their own domestic industries.

Why should we do that? The current situation is good for us, and the GoI doesn't say anything about it anyway.

If you're going to talk about protectionism, the US, China, EU and India have all used protectionist measures to protect their own domestic industries.

dude, you are becoming like that first Chinese poster on this thread with your illogical banter. You have opened it for other nations then you must open it up for India if you want to trade with it. This is not some small African nation your dealing with that cowers for your scraps.

Or as I advise the Indians here, stick your middle finger up to china and be a thorn on it's way to its perceived no1 status. India is the only one that can emulate and mitigate China ....and The US will help you along. Developed worlds would rather deal with India over china, if it can grow its infrastructure to sustains those countries needs. Indian market is equally big and attractive then. India has the know how, but just was late(r) to game, needs to build its infrastructure but India has the time and your growth rate is well sustaining to catch up.

Last edited:
dude, you are becoming like that first Chinese poster on this thread with your illogical banter. You have opened it for other nations then you must open it up for India if you want to trade with it. This is not some small African nation your dealing with.

Must we? I still don't see why, and in any case it's not going to happen.

Here is an article about protectionism from Bloomberg Businessweek:

Russia and the U.S. have the most protectionist trade measures among the Group of 20 leading industrialized countries, according annual rankings released today in Hong Kong by the International Chamber of Commerce.

India and Argentina came third and fourth, while China was ranked sixth, just after Brazil, the Paris-based ICC said in the report, compiled by the Washington-based Peterson Institute for International Economics. Saudi Arabia was the nation with the fewest measures aimed at protecting its own trade.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-06-29/russia-u-s-most-protectionist-in-group-of-20.html

India has more protectionist measures than China so why should we open up our side.

Must we? I still don't see why, and in any case it's not going to happen.

Here is an article about protectionism from Bloomberg Businessweek:

Russia, U.S. Most Protectionist in Group of 20 - BusinessWeek

India has more protectionist measures than China so why should we open up our side.

If you want to trade with India , then you must. Who else has a large market and is going to sustain your growth. You're tapped out in EU and US. the two largest markets...and they dislike you at their core.

India has those protectionist measures because you guys show extreme prejudice towards it through high traffics. besides a trade surplus in your favor proves my point.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom