What's new

Why China might be a better superpower

What exactly is the definition of a 'Superpower'?
Will China be able to project its political, economic & military power in any part of the world like the US can do today and USSR was able to do in large portions of the world?

Who is qualified?

Going to cut in here, if you don't mind...

Being able to project military might anywhere in the world doesn't really equate to being a superpower. In today's world, a superpower can be created simply through economic might, and that is where China's strength lies. With it's aggressive economic expansionism in Africa and Asia, it's quickly trying to exert it's influence on nations across the world.

On the military side, it is slowly, but surely developing the ability to exert it's military might across the world. It's the reason why it is heavily investing in it's navy and naval arms to acquire aircraft carriers and it's air force to have the ability to transport troops and supplies at long range.

It's obviously going to take a while before this can be achieved, but this is China's aim, and they're looking increasingly likely to achieve superpower status in our lifetime.

On the other hand, so was Japan, and we know what happened there.

-------------

ALSO, STOP TALKING ABOUT WOMEN AND STAY ON TOPIC :mad:

Going to cut in here, if you don't mind...

Being able to project military might anywhere in the world doesn't really equate to being a superpower. In today's world, a superpower can be created simply through economic might, and that is where China's strength lies. With it's aggressive economic expansionism in Africa and Asia, it's quickly trying to exert it's influence on nations across the world.

If the economic projection is the only criteria for being a superpower, Germany and Japan should have qualified for being superpowers in 1980's and 1990's.
Just having bigger trade volume doesn't qualify for superpower status.

If the economic projection is the only criteria for being a superpower, Germany and Japan should have qualified for being superpowers in 1980's and 1990's.
Just having bigger trade volume doesn't qualify for superpower status.

Of course it's not the only criteria, but it's a major step. Without an economy to sustain your global influence, you're nothing. That was one of the major reasons why the USSR collapsed, they simply didn't have the economy to sustain the union and it's global reach.

lol what, yea, if Brad Pitt goes there he really could. But there is only one of him and people of equal or slightly less good looking men are not that many. But this is true in any country, not just in China.

Isn't Brad Pitt banned from entering China?

Au contraire, it is alleged that Japan is one of the most gender-biased societies on the planet (note: alleged).

Yet, what you say does happen over there in great quantities.

Thus, they are not 'free to do' as they like (how can a Western "democracy" lover say a Chinese "communist" state is "free"?), rather they imitate the West blindly.

They are "free" in social terms, I was not talking about politics. Their societies are far more open and flexible than Indian, Arab societies.

This is why western nations and East Asian ones have a lot of mutual tourism and business.

Also you are seeing things from one side only - Japan, China also have had a lot of cultural influence on western nations.

They are "free" in social terms, I was not talking about politics. Their societies are far more open and flexible than Indian, Arab societies.

This is why western nations and East Asian ones have a lot of mutual tourism and business.

Also you are seeing things from one side only - Japan, China also have had a lot of cultural influence on western nations.

Japan is still allegedly a male dominated society. Yet, they indulge in those acts you have mentioned. China is not a 'free' society by Western standards of 'democracy', yet they also indulge in those acts that you have mentioned. It's because of their blind copying of the West.

There is no major East Asian cultural practice seen (accepted in the mainstream, or regularly performed) in Western societies.

Japan is still allegedly a male dominated society. Yet, they indulge in those acts you have mentioned. China is not a 'free' society by Western standards of 'democracy', yet they also indulge in those acts that you have mentioned. It's because of their blind copying of the West.

There is no major East Asian cultural practice seen (accepted in the mainstream, or regularly performed) in Western societies.

playing arcade, watching anime, rise of console gaming, energy efficient cars, dress style (yea, I know you think pants and shirt is Western, but it really isn't. It is inspired yes, but still some styles are very much Asian.), some words, food, holidays, and a lot of other things.

After reading your posts, you really need to get out more, and maybe see the world for what it is not what you think or want it to be.

Sushi? chopsticks? Anime? J-pop, K-pop? noodles. Nintendo, PlayStation - most of their games are about Things happening in Japan, China, etc.

Have you seen the recent bond movie, Batman, Ironman? A lot of Hollywood movies have East Asian cities, characters in their storyline. Keep in mind Sony pictures and music is Japanese and has immense influence over Hollywood.

And you miss Wing Chun, Kung fu, Karate, Judo, etc. Yoga too, (it's Indian though).

I personally own a Japanese Katana.

playing arcade, watching anime, rise of console gaming, energy efficient cars, dress style (yea, I know you think pants and shirt is Western, but it really isn't. It is inspired yes, but still some styles are very much Asian.), some words, food, holidays, and a lot of other things.

After reading your posts, you really need to get out more, and maybe see the world for what it is not what you think or want it to be.

How many Westerners do that?

Energy efficient cars, anime etc are Japanese contributions more than Chinese, correct me if I am wrong.

Dress style? I see that East Asians wear more Western style dress, than vice versa. How many Western girls would wear Kimono or Cheongsam to office or school? How many Chinese/Japanese would wear Western dress to office/school?

Sushi? chopsticks? Anime? J-pop, K-pop? noodles. Nintendo, PlayStation - most of their games are about Things happening in Japan, China, etc.

Have you seen the recent bond movie, Batman, Ironman? A lot of Hollywood movies have East Asian cities, characters in their storyline. Keep in mind Sony pictures and music is Japanese and has immense influence over Hollywood.

And you miss Wing Chun, Kung fu, Karate, Judo, etc. Yoga too, (it's Indian though).

I personally own a Japanese Katana.

I don't care about Hollywood movies, so I haven't watched (Jewish dominated) Hollywood movies.

How many Westerners even know there is a word called "Wing Chun"? How many Westerners are martial artists?

Compare that with how many Chinese or East Asians would go to America for dispute settlement (e.g. China-Japan island dispute), for higher education, watch Hollywood movies (Hollywood movies more popular in China than their domestic movies), McDonald's, KFC, Burger King, Pizza Hut, etc music, soft drinks, alcohol, nudity, immorality, homosexuality, even GM cars.

J-Pop, K-Pop, Canto-pop or whatever you have are seen as mostly 'girly' or 'childish'. It attracts mainly East Asians, or some Latin Americans, not much more than that.

In fact, I can argue that I am more 'affected' by East Asian culture than Western culture compared to most East Asians (because I don't care about Jewish dominated Hollywood), and I have often followed how the "democratic" (American term, hence the quotes) East Asian countries' media produce martial arts flicks, suspense, thrillers, or yakuza or triad gang violent films, etc.

Energy efficient cars, anime etc are Japanese contributions more than Chinese, correct me if I am wrong.

Dress style? I see that East Asians wear more Western style dress, than vice versa. How many Western girls would wear Kimono or Cheongsam to office or school? How many Chinese/Japanese would wear Western dress to office/school?

you said east Asian not Chinese, Japan is in East Asia right.

First kimonos are worn and it originated in China look it up though not quite the same, and second, what do you consider western style. Are Chinese designers Chinese or not? For example First lady of China used all Chinese luxury brands when she visited countries. Do you consider those western or not? Even though 100% designed, funded, and made in China.

BTW Chinese students wear uniforms designed 100% and made 100% in China.

I don't care about Hollywood movies, so I haven't watched (Jewish dominated) Hollywood movies.

How many Westerners even know there is a word called "Wing Chun"? How many Westerners are martial artists?

Compare that with how many Chinese or East Asians would go to America for dispute settlement (e.g. China-Japan island dispute), for higher education, watch Hollywood movies (Hollywood movies more popular in China than their domestic movies), McDonald's, KFC, Burger King, Pizza Hut, etc music, soft drinks, alcohol, nudity, immorality, homosexuality, even GM cars.
My families live in France, Belgium, and Germany. Over there, hardly anyone has even heard of East Asian, let alone "influences". :)

And which language do we need to learn to communicate anyway? Without the White men's language ie English, hardly anyone around the world can communicate to each others.

Well that is what makes the US a superpower. The US influence is equally prevalent in India, Germany, Saudi Arabia, etc.
why single out East Asia?

And the rest "soft drinks, alcohol, homosexuality" is not American. There are some really good Japanese beers, that have been around longer than a century.

And It's safe to say almost every westerner knows about Karate and martial arts - its far too prevalent in the media and video games to miss.

Again East Asians are mostly atheist - so the restrictions that apply to Muslims don't apply to them, and hence cannot be judged according those criteria.

you said east Asian not Chinese, Japan is in East Asia right.

First kimonos are worn and it originated in China look it up though not quite the same, and second, what do you consider western style. Are Chinese designers Chinese or not? For example First lady of China used all Chinese luxury brands when she visited countries. Do you consider those western or not? Even though 100% designed, funded, and made in China.

BTW Chinese students wear uniforms designed 100% and made 100% in China.

1. Japan is in East Asia, but an archrival of China as seen in real life, and also in this forum.

2. This thread is about China, so the discussion had better be restricted to China. So as not to appear anti China, I pointed out that other East Asian countries indulged in similar practices.

3. How many Western girls/women wear kimono to school/office? How many chinese/japanese/koreans wear Western origin dress to school/office?

4. Bangladesh is the second largest garment exporter in world, after China, so of course, even Bangladesh can/does design own dress. But, there is difference between designing Western origin dress, and East Asian origin dress.

Even if a Kimono is designed or sewn in Canada, it is seen as a Japanese dress.

Even if a three piece suit is designed or sewn in China, it is seen as a Western dress.

1. Japan is in East Asia, but an archrival of China as seen in real life, and also in this forum.

2. This thread is about China, so the discussion had better be restricted to China. So as not to appear anti China, I pointed out that other East Asian countries indulged in similar practices.

3. How many Western girls/women wear kimono to school/office? How many chinese/japanese/koreans wear Western origin dress to school/office?

4. Bangladesh is the second largest garment exporter in world, after China, so of course, even Bangladesh can/does design own dress. But, there is difference between designing Western origin dress, and East Asian origin dress.

Even if a Kimono is designed or sewn in Canada, it is seen as a Japanese dress.

Even if a three piece suit is designed or sewn in China, it is seen as a Western dress.

All American dress style came from europe, European dress had influences from rome, Rome imported silk from China. Caesar had silk from China, very expensive those days.

So who invented what? Who's to say? Compass is invented in China passed to Europe, does this mean GPS is Chinese? Though we do have our own now too.

Tobacco is native, but cigarettes are consider western no?

Where do you draw the line? Just as far as you can remember or what?

Back
Top Bottom