What's new

Why China can bark but can't bite?

No, you definitely give a shit about your largest neighbor. Difference is your media is tightly controlled and monitored. The CCP pushes agendas through their media. Not Chinese media, its CCP. All controlled by the party for the party. India the media is not so tightly controlled. They are free to jump over to report on any absurd story.
Talked to professors from Singapore and China on this, we we got talking about China. They believe that CCP stereotypes India with media for the mass Chinese to argue against democracy. Because its easy to say to anti CCP pro democracy supporters, you want democracy, look at India. And if your image of India is poor destitute nation of Saharan Africa. It gives legitimacy to CCP rule. Disowning the fact the Taiwan also is more developed with a democratic elections, albeit only recently. India has no hidden agenda on this media war. They will talk about China if it sells. What sells more is Pakistani topic. Terrorism and religion.

Dude, India is not our largest neighbor......Russia is. The majority of Chinese population live in the costal areas. The far east is a powder keg had already drew us a lot of attentions. India is just a remote country which sits behind Tibet and Himalayas. And Tibet only has 3 million population. Give me a reason why would our media talk about India more often than North Korea, Japan, Taiwan, South China sea and of course the USA. The truth is our medias ignore India not because the CCP order them to do so, we really don't care about India. It is too far and irrelevant.

Dude, India is not our largest neighbor......Russia is. The majority of Chinese population live in the costal areas. The far east is a powder keg had already drew us a lot of attentions. India is just a remote country which sits behind Tibet and Himalayas. And Tibet only has 3 million population. Give me a reason why would our media talk about India more often than North Korea, Japan, Taiwan, South China sea and of course the USA. The truth is our medias ignore India not because the CCP order them to do so, we really don't care about India. It is too far and irrelevant.
So your saying the media in China is not responsible to CCP? That the media in China rightfully talks more about Korea and Vietnam because India is isolated? While I see your point, many people disagree including Chinese who see what the CCP agenda is for the long term. While Far East seems like a powder keg as you explained than it would not explain PLA statements about IOR and the prevalence of CCP investment in IOR. You are right that, your media has not reason to talk about India often, but it doesn't exactly give a fair coverage of India, sometimes even worse than western reporting. So while your point is valid, you have done little to prove otherwise, that Chinese media does not stereotype India and down play its significance in the region.
So again the observation of Chinese media proves otherwise.

So your saying the media in China is not responsible to CCP? That the media in China rightfully talks more about Korea and Vietnam because India is isolated? While I see your point, many people disagree including Chinese who see what the CCP agenda is for the long term. While Far East seems like a powder keg as you explained than it would not explain PLA statements about IOR and the prevalence of CCP investment in IOR. You are right that, your media has not reason to talk about India often, but it doesn't exactly give a fair coverage of India, sometimes even worse than western reporting. So while your point is valid, you have done little to prove otherwise, that Chinese media does not stereotype India and down play its significance in the region.
So again the observation of Chinese media proves otherwise.

no, you actually have it wrong, the fact that chinese media is controlled by the state makes it much more mellow and muted. Most of the chinese media coverage of India is in fact neutral, before this incident, the CCP actually wanted to keep neutral relationship with India, so any news or articles that project extreme negativity and nationalism with regard to India are immediately censored, words are often toned down. Extreme articles about India are rare and are usually served as a warning rather than whipping up Chinese nationalism. On the other hand, Indian so called "free" media is driven by profit and extreme nationalism with no check in place. Any news that objectively reporting positively on China are immediately branded as "traitor" and are boycotted. Sensational and extreme negative reporting on china draws readership and sells business, which explains why most Indian news coverage about china I've read are extremely negative and provocative, because that's what sells. So CCP censorship does serve as a check to stop chinese media from going extreme from time to time, while India doesn't have such mechanism in place and media seems to one up another on how much more extreme they can report on china, regardless how truthful it is, because that's how you can sell.

no, you actually have it wrong, the fact that chinese media is controlled by the state makes it much more mellow and muted. Most of the chinese media coverage of India is in fact neutral, before this incident, the CCP actually wanted to keep neutral relationship with India, so any news or articles that project extreme negativity and nationalism with regard to India are immediately censored, words are often toned down. Extreme articles about India are rare and are usually served as a warning rather than whipping up Chinese nationalism. On the other hand, Indian so called "free" media is driven by profit and extreme nationalism with no check in place. Any news that objectively reporting positively on China are immediately branded as "traitor" and are boycotted. Sensational and extreme negative reporting on china draws readership and sells business, which explains why most Indian news coverage about china I've read are extremely negative and provocative, because that's what sells. So CCP censorship does serve as a check to stop chinese media from going extreme from time to time, while India doesn't have such mechanism in place and media seems to one up another on how much more extreme they can report on china, regardless how truthful it is, because that's how you can sell.
Chinese media is not neutral on India. Its not an opinon its a fact. A well documented report on this proved that 40-50 % of of Chinese media reporting was negative. and the rest border line positive. Showing India and its military in bad light as a circus joke compared to the mighty pla. Even Americans have noticed this trend.
Heres a report done by Chinese journalist on India reports in China.
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/2059436416668186
Read it. There are plenty of others. The CCP wants to keep relations with India neutral but its projection of India image should not be. once again, you argument is poor.
Indian so called "free" media is driven by profit and extreme nationalism with no check in place
yes it is. Its driven by profit for profit. A cycle of doom but its got little agenda. You can find media in India split between liberal to conservative to local. Hardly anything relating to China other than exactly how American, Eurpoean and everybody else views China. There are plenty of others.
When China reports on India, its usually followed by these images.
001EF52900000258-3147852-image-a-90_1435937757945.jpg

_87211432_trainmathurreuters.jpg

and when they report on Indian military its followed by images like this
92610d1359626842-motorcycle-team-indian-army-breaks-world-records-army.jpg

or this
ox281256860669961108.jpg

Regardless, the Indian army doesn't quite have a brigade of propaganda like the PLA or CCP. That should say something. If you still refuse to believe this, then well I can't continue to debate with you. I accepted your points but they are a poor argument of the reality we see on the media. CCP Policy is not neutral on India, had it been that way, China wouldn't be arming Pakistan to degree it does.
Most importantly, again. It does not benefit CCP to show India on pedestal of hope like Americans do by calling it the worlds largest democracy. You ever see that FACT being stated by CCP media? No other media has problem with this.

Chinese media is not neutral on India. Its not an opinon its a fact. A well documented report on this proved that 40-50 % of of Chinese media reporting was negative. and the rest border line positive. Showing India and its military in bad light as a circus joke compared to the mighty pla. Even Americans have noticed this trend.
Read it. There are plenty of others. The CCP wants to keep relations with India neutral but its projection of India image should not be. once again, you argument is poor.

yes it is. Its driven by profit for profit. A cycle of doom but its got little agenda. You can find media in India split between liberal to conservative to local. Hardly anything relating to China other than exactly how American, Eurpoean and everybody else views China. There are plenty of others.

or this
ox281256860669961108.jpg

Regardless, the Indian army doesn't quite have a brigade of propaganda like the PLA or CCP. That should say something. If you still refuse to believe this, then well I can't continue to debate with you. I accepted your points but they are a poor argument of the reality we see on the media. CCP Policy is not neutral on India, had it been that way, China wouldn't be arming Pakistan to degree it does.
Most importantly, again. It does not benefit CCP to show India on pedestal of hope like Americans do by calling it the worlds largest democracy. You ever see that FACT being stated by CCP media? No other media has problem with this.
A circus army for a nation of jokers

or this
ox281256860669961108.jpg

I think you misunderstood my point, I'm not saying chinese media isn't writing things in a condescending or mocking type of manner. I'm saying Chinese media normally don't write negative things that intend to to whip-up nationalism against India in order to sell newspapers. Things like "India is threatening china" or "India putting huge number of military personnel at the border with intention of xxx china" normally don't appear on chinese papers... whereas these type of fear mongering negative reporting is rampant in Indian media. Like I said, anything that intend to whip up chinese nationalism against Indian is normally a no-no and mostly censored by the chinese government, because chinese government doesn't want to deal with negative fallout due to someone wrote stupid articles. That's why you rarely see news articles that are extremely provocative, except few times when the CCP wants to send a message to the Indian government, most of the time news are relatively mellow and toned down as extreme ones are censored. But India doesn't have such check in place and any news that feed into nationalism to whip up hate against china will sell, hence why practically every single major Indian news outlet will one up another and produce the most provocative and negative articles about china, many with no regard to objectivity or truth.

Last edited:
I think you misunderstood my point, I'm not saying chinese media isn't writing things in a condescending or mocking type of manner. I'm saying Chinese media normally don't write negative things that intend to to whip-up nationalism against India in order to sell newspapers. Things like "India is threatening china" or "India putting huge number of military personnel at the border with intention of xxx china" normally don't appear on chinese papers... whereas these type of fear mongering negative reporting is rampant in Indian media. Like I said, anything that intend to whip up chinese nationalism against Indian is normally a no-no and mostly censored by the chinese government, because chinese government doesn't want to deal with negative fallout due to someone wrote stupid articles. That's why you rarely see news articles that are extremely provocative, except few times when the CCP wants to send a message to the Indian government, most of the time news are relatively mellow and toned down as extreme ones are censored. But India doesn't have such check in place and any news that feed into nationalism to whip up hate against china will sell, hence why practically every single major Indian news outlet will one up another and produce the most provocative and negative articles about china, many with no regard to objectivity or truth.
See I agree. CCP doesn't use India to create nationalism, since they get better nationalism when they use Japan. India doesn't use China as a threat per se as they do Pakistan but they do sell China stories when it is the focus as in this case, but most of time they'll throw out China stories from their windows. China doesn't sell unless there is a story. Also media in India is large and diverse. You have 1 billion people with multiple languages you'll get lots of bs on print or tv. But the truth is somewhere in between. But you get my point that CCP does not want to have a positive image of India that would make their party legitimacy look bad. You will never find Chinese media saying, India is the largest democracy! Its fact but CCP does not want this to hit Chinese on face. This view of India as a backward nation is one side, and using the media to pump up nationalism is another. What does this tell you about the current situation? What ever happens CCP has to save face!. Even if they loose the argument behind closed doors. India has a good legal case and willing to defend the neighbors territorial integrity. But can Modi afford to loose face? He is a chauvinistic politician unlike the previous PM. He will have a hard time with this, as even bad media in India will make him responsible. So why is the CCP, a heavily controlled media going full throttle on this media campaign against India since the intrusion? The english Chinese media certainly is. Is the Chinese media in Mandarin and Cantonese following suite?

See I agree. CCP doesn't use India to create nationalism, since they get better nationalism when they use Japan. India doesn't use China as a threat per se as they do Pakistan but they do sell China stories when it is the focus as in this case, but most of time they'll throw out China stories from their windows. China doesn't sell unless there is a story. Also media in India is large and diverse. You have 1 billion people with multiple languages you'll get lots of bs on print or tv. But the truth is somewhere in between. But you get my point that CCP does not want to have a positive image of India that would make their party legitimacy look bad. You will never find Chinese media saying, India is the largest democracy! Its fact but CCP does not want this to hit Chinese on face. This view of India as a backward nation is one side, and using the media to pump up nationalism is another. What does this tell you about the current situation? What ever happens CCP has to save face!. Even if they loose the argument behind closed doors. India has a good legal case and willing to defend the neighbors territorial integrity. But can Modi afford to loose face? He is a chauvinistic politician unlike the previous PM. He will have a hard time with this, as even bad media in India will make him responsible. So why is the CCP, a heavily controlled media going full throttle on this media campaign against India since the intrusion? The english Chinese media certainly is. Is the Chinese media in Mandarin and Cantonese following suite?

so how is portraying India in a backward manner has anything to do with writing extremely provocative article to whip up nationalism against India like what India does to China constantly?

so how is portraying India in a backward manner has anything to do with writing extremely provocative article to whip up nationalism against India like what India does to China constantly?
The Indains are not whipping up nationalism with their media on China. Its more effective to use religion or Pakistan. They are selling a story and defended their actions via the media. More importantly, what is the Chinese english media doing and what is the Mandarin/Cantonese media doing?
Its no secret that the CCP uses the Chinese english media to send messages across borders and the domestic Chinese media to control the information inside China. This can say a lot about what happened on the issue if we read between the lines. Unfortunately I don't understand Chinese.
Also, India does use the China threat at times to shore up defense spending, similar to the pentagon reports on China. However CCP knows its an excuse for both sides. The Indians don't want to be called on it by other parties like the US on this and claim their capability is for China. But if you look carefully. You don't need SSN, aircraft carriers to defend against China. You don't need Brahmos. Its a convenient excuse used in India. Its nothing more. India doesn't want what China has. Mostly barren wastelands of Tibet, those peeks are not worth the lives and risks, and CCP has a better tool to deal with India than the PLA. Its called the Pakistan Army, and they don't have the worlds highest mountains inbetween them.
So if the Chinese domestic audience is focused on this issue, then CCP will have to save face somehow. Hopefully, the Indian audience isn't paying attention but that seems unlikily, because some people in India want Modi to get hurt. Indias media is controlled by multiple families and multiple corporations and agencies. We'll have to wait and see how this is managed.

The thread title is too sensationalist. In today's world everything is in china's favour. The west is surrendering the world to China big time. And they are just glad its not their problem anymore. Its a massive retreat. They will get inside their borders, close the gates and have a big party inside. While China will roam the whole world outside.

Japan is indeed a worthy opponent of China. Chinese has very low opinion regards to India. Japan has a higher GDP , more advance technology based and a stronger navy.

China never regards India as a threat but India just desperate trying to pit herself against China. :lol:

Japan is indeed a worthy opponent of China. Chinese has very low opinion regards to India. Japan has a higher GDP , more advance technology based and a stronger navy.

China never regards India as a threat but India just desperate trying to pit herself against China. :lol:

I don't think so, you can go to read the disgusting comments made by those Japanese right-wingers about the commission of the CVN-78.

Just like Indians, Japanese also show no backbone, but only worshipping the strong.

Why is their a hindu here so insecured about how his shitty country india is being portrayed in Chinese media. It's not China's fault that india is a country of beggars who poo in the street for a living, eat rats for food and bathe in the toxic holy river ganges.

Back
Top Bottom