What's new

Why aren't there any Liberal Parties in Pakistan?

As espoused by John Locke. The freedom to choose religion, to every humans right to political and social freedom, the right of property etc. I didn't know understanding liberalism was that difficult.

What I meant to ask is why are there so few parties in Pakistan which support the definition I gave. Again if you can give me an example of a party that doesn't just says something but also does it in practise, that would be wonderful.

By the way those people who are trying to tie liberalism to just meaning the right of abortion and Pro gay etc are missing the whole point of liberalism.

They tied liberalism to 'right of abortion etc' because here in Pakistan we have many kind of 'liberals' all in all they ask about same things but somehow they end up defining it into different terms.

The freedom to choose religion ? We already have it.

Political and social freedom ? we have that too, but the thing is we got it by Islamic Republic of Pakistan ...not some liberalism ..

No liberalism isn't a currency..

But it's a system right? It should help my country in development and prosperity.

It is PPP

PTI aswell but they are after country interest first

Liberalism is a relative term, in denmark it means marrying your sister (not just saying it watched a documentary about it), In Pakistan it means drinking alcohol

They are tied liberalism to 'right of abortion etc' because here in Pakistan we have many kind of 'liberals' all in all they ask about same things but their definition is always different.

The freedom to choose religion ? We already have it.

Political and social freedom ? we have that too, but the thing is we got it by Islamic Republic of Pakistan ...not some liberalism ..

But it's a system right? It should help my country in development and prosperity.

Freedom to choose your religion...in Pakistan? I'm sorry, are we living in two parallel universes?
There is hardly any political freedom either. I don't know, I think you need to read/watch the news more often. (I'm not trying to be disrespectful, just bemused by your claim of freedoms in Pakistan.)

Freedom to choose your religion...in Pakistan? I'm sorry, are we living in two parallel universes?
There is hardly any political freedom either. I don't know, I think you need to read/watch the news more often. (I'm not trying to be disrespectful, just bemused by your claim of freedoms in Pakistan.)

Seriously? you just denied my opinion by claiming that I'm not watching news 'enough' or maybe , just maybe because I'm not sharing the same opinion with you...you decided to refuse me...?

No, actually we both are living in same world.(just for your information)

and yes, we do have religious freedom and political freedom..what more you want? what are your demands? What is it that we don't have? or you think we don't have?

Where in the world did you get this idea?

In 2002 Gallup found that 93% of the US population supported the Afghanistan invasion:

b1xrskgdsuojw2x7kdbaaw.gif

So you're telling me that only 7% of the US are true liberals? Public opinion only started changing as the war dragged on, more bodies came back in body bags and the economy started going downhill. You're deluding yourself into thinking that a "Liberal" is anti-violence.

Islam was introducing women/minorities rights, laws governing the proper treatment of prisoners, demanding those who could afford it pay charity (on top of their taxes), etc... all considered "liberal" values long before the West did. Right, wrong, good, evil these are all subjective values differing from time to time and between civilizations.

Pakistan doesn't need failed Western values whose societies got to where they are through theft and exploitation of others in Pakistan what it needs is Islam and the military back in charge.

Sigh, you are deluding yourself if you think most of American population is liberal. They are more conservative and religious then most muslim countries. I am not arguing against Islam you idiot, I was merely pointing out there are no political parties who actually conform to liberal ideas. Your rant against West is pointless, and correlating it to mean liberal means pro violence is as deluded as the rest of your post.

Seriously? you just denied my opinion by claiming that I'm not watching news 'enough' or maybe , just maybe because I'm not sharing the same opinion with you...you decided to refuse me...?

No, actually we both are living in same world.(just for your information)

and yes, we do have religious freedom and political freedom..what more you want? what are your demands? What is it that we don't have? or you think we don't have?

Religious freedom in Pakistan? Seriously now, what are you smoking?

I think he meant a party that openly supports gayism, otherwise PPP ANP and MQM are liberal, PMLN and PTI you cant call them conservatives only because they support dialogue with TTP. JI and JUI are conservatives

WOw you like to generalize and simplify things don't you? Open supporting "gayism", what is that? Sometimes I wonder what they teach in schools in Pakistan, Liberalism is to support freedom to choose religion, rights of property, freedom of expression, civil rights, etc. Narrowing it down to supporting "gayism" is laughable.

I may be interjecting here and also pardon my limited (okay very limited) knowledge about Pakistani politics, but is there a party that is headed by some nobody ie not born rich and/or powerful? Like for example in India, Arvind Kejriwal of AAP was a simple man. So was Narendra Modi, a lowly tea vendor. The local parties also have many such people of very very humble origins. I hope you got my point. :)

Sigh, you are deluding yourself if you think most of American population is liberal. They are more conservative and religious then most muslim countries. I am not arguing against Islam you idiot, I was merely pointing out there are no political parties who actually conform to liberal ideas. Your rant against West is pointless, and correlating it to mean liberal means pro violence is as deluded as the rest of your post.

WOw you like to generalize and simplify things don't you? Open supporting "gayism", what is that? Sometimes I wonder what they teach in schools in Pakistan, Liberalism is to support freedom to choose religion, rights of property, freedom of expression, civil rights, etc. Narrowing it down to supporting "gayism" is laughable.

When you say 'freedom of speech' it means you are free to say whatever you like or against whoever you like..is that Liberalism to you?

smoking..... Are you smoking?

We DO have religious freedom in Pakistan otherwise there would be no single minority in Pakistan, not even a church or anything. We have not ban anyone to wear or not to wear scarf or burqa or whatever, nor we believe on such things.

my apologies to a highly educated in UK but All those liberal qualities you have listed must be a big NO for Republican in the US and Conservatives in Canada (sorry cant give you any examples from UK cause i dont know much and dont care much). I am right to conclude that republicans are against religious freedom, rights to property, freedom of expression and civil rights. damn republicans I knew there was something wrong with them I just couldnt figure what.

Mr harper now I know your true nature thanks to a brother who is educated in UK, now you cant fool me by opposing gay marriages

Last edited:
Liberalism is a relative term, in denmark it means marrying your sister (not just saying it watched a documentary about it), In Pakistan it means drinking alcohol
WTH? SUCH TYPE OF VULGAR ACTS ARE ALLOWED IN GERMANY? WOW AND I THOUGHT THERE WERE LIMITS STILL LOL
if that's liberalism then call me an extremist i oppose it

I am too far from Pakistani education system, and its funny cause I was smoking players light. All those liberal qualities you have listed must be a big NO for Republican in the US and Conservatives in Canada. I am right to conclude that republicans are against religious freedom, rights to property, freedom of expression and civil rights. damn republicans I knew there was something wrong with them I just couldnt figure what.

All the ideas I listed were actually first introduced in the western society by thinkers and philosophers who considered themselves liberals. If you want to make funny jokes and forget history, be my guest. And please don't compare conservatives in US and Canada to conservatives in Pakistan. Most modern political systems in the west are based on liberal ideals, so yes including the republican party.

When you say 'freedom of speech' it means you are free to say whatever you like or against whoever you like..is that Liberalism to you?

smoking..... Are you smoking?

We DO have religious freedom in Pakistan otherwise there would be no single minority in Pakistan, not even a church or anything. We have not ban anyone to wear or not to wear scarf or burqa or whatever, nor we believe on such things.
"When you say 'freedom of speech' it means you are free to say whatever you like or against whoever you like..is that Liberalism to you?"
- It depends on how he says it. Say God is 'X'(just say) and you draw a disgusting painting of 'X' and shout in public - death to the followers of 'X' - that is deplorable. But if instead of that you just go ahead and say honestly about the misdeeds of 'X'(acc to you) you should be allowed to. It may hurt people. It may not. But nevertheless it should not silence you. Instead of killing/arresting you - a more cultured conversation can occur. The worst case scenario - the supporters and non-supporters will agree to disagree. Sounds better but perhaps too utopian - but then just my tuppence :)

>Every person in Pakistan is free to choose religion, there are many minorities in Pakistan. and if you think we kill them then i will beg to differ we do not kill them, although there are penalties for blasphemy which i think is completely normal.
>the only un liberal thing here is that only a Muslim can become President/PM and that's why Pakistan is called Islamic Republic OF Pakistan.

and if you have anymore doubts just ask me i will be happy to answer them if i have the knowledge and do not go off topic

Back
Top Bottom