What's new

Why Are Hindu Honor Killings Rising in India?

Honor killing is not rising it's decline. actually now media highlighting it.
and please it not only happening in Hindus. hindu region is much modern then others. all we Know that very well.

Last year, officials in Haryana recorded about 100 honor killings of young people caught in the war between clan, caste, culture and cupid. Banwala's case is the first honor-killing trial to secure a verdict, although a similar trial is underway. In that case, four people are accused of beating and hacking a young man to death with sticks, sickles and scythes last year after he married a woman from a neighboring village, a relationship villagers also regarded as incest.

In 2008, a judge in Haryana and Punjab, Kanwaljit Singh Ahluwalia, said the number of "couples hiding themselves in the corridors of court" had risen in recent years. In response, the government set up hotlines and opened shelters for the runaway couples.

Mewa Singh Mor, the president of all clan councils in Haryana, said the councils do not order killings but often ostracize and boycott the defiant couples and their families.

"It is a shame that so many girls and boys are eloping nowadays, under the influence of TV and movies. Our constitution tells our youth what their rights are but says nothing about their social duties," he said. "These couples are like an epidemic. They are destroying our social fabric."

Jagmati Sangwan, a social activist, said the council meetings are "frightening, Taliban-type" gatherings that bar women but announce stern decisions on matters that directly concern them.

"There are seeds of an egalitarian society in such self-choice marriages, and these councils cannot tolerate that," said Sangwan, director of the women's studies center at the Maharishi Dayanand University in Haryana. "Victims of honor crimes fear filing a police complaint, and witnesses are hard to find. Sometimes the police dismiss them, saying it is a private, community matter. We want to break the social acceptance that honor crimes and killings enjoy."

Meanwhile, the court has posted two security guards outside Chanderpati Banwala's home. She has a fresh battle ahead when a higher court hears the defendants' appeal. "I will not give up. I want to teach them a lesson, so that innocent young couples are not killed again in the name of tradition," she said. "Now I trust only the court and God."

http://www.riazhaq.com/2010/05/honor-killings-in-india.html

washingtonpost.com

Haq's Musings: Superfreakonomics on Status of Indian Women

Last edited:
This is not a comparison of who has higher honour killings.
Lets hope that this is overcome within a decade or so such that no country in the region suffers through them.

This honor and all sucks!! I see Indians and Pakistanis here who would have killed somebody back in their homeland because of their sister/daughter eloped with lower caste person, cleaning the tables, working on petrol pumps and doing dishes makes me wonder, where is their honor now??:hang2::blink::woot:

I think many hindus are going insecure and are taking harsher steps to make sure their religions and customs are followed. I think this happens mainly in interiors. Well highly deplorable. But times are changing.. these customs and practises too will change. As we have a platform and base for it. I hope politicians don't fall for these religous clout of these extimists be it hindus or muslims.

One news reporting does not prove that Indina media is let free.

If Indina media was free than they would have printed the true face of Narendar Modi and not turned him into a celebraty of Hindus.

If Indian media was free they would have followed the evidence which inspector Hemant Karakary initated!

Last edited:
One news reporting does not prove that Indina media is let free.

If Indina media was free than they would have printed the true face of Narendar Modi and not turned him into a celebraty of Hindus.

If Indian media was free they would have followed the evidence which inspector Hemant Karakary initated!

Dude Modi is Politician and our constitution forgives every politician of crimes (take it as sarcasm not real ;) ) . If tomorrow I think of becoming rapist, robber or thief before that I will contest election and come to power so that no one can arrest me :D :lol:

Ms. Nirupama Pathak, a bright young female journalist based in Delhi, was brutally murdered recently by her family for carrying on an inter-caste relationship with a male colleague.

Last year, there were 100 honor killings recorded in the Indian state of Haryana, according to Washington Post .

In 2008, a judge in Haryana and Punjab, Kanwaljit Singh Ahluwalia, said the number of "couples hiding themselves in the corridors of court" had risen in recent years. In response, the government set up hotlines and opened shelters for the runaway couples.

Honor killings among Pakistani s and Muslims have received a lot of air time and print space in recent years. The unfortunate fact is that such honor killings still happen, and are not limited to specific countries or religion.

http://www.riazhaq.com/2010/05/honor-killings-in-india.html

Chowk: Personal: Honor Killings Continuing in India

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom