What's new

Who Won the Air War in 1971?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Windjammer - please understand the basics of a war - It is not fought fair, one on one!
Pak was defending smaller territory than India. It was Pak strategy that defence of East lies in the West. Basing only 1 squadron in the East was a bad strategic decision. Just like Hitler telling Paulus to stay put in Stalingrad before the Russians encircled him. Pak paid for it's strategic mistakes and lost the 1971 war. Man-Man I have great respect for the Pak air force. They shot down many Indian ground attack air craft during the war which kinda makes the numbers a bit skewed.
Did India lose more planes - maybe. Did it win the air war - definitely.
I can say with conviction that although India may have won the war but, they did loose the battle.

one wins air superiority when NO repeat NO enemy a/c are able to fly in air defence roles - when the enemy air force is rendered in-operable.

only two recent examples come to mind.

67 arab-israeli war where the IDFAF completely destroyed the arab air forces on the ground. and...

Desert Storm 1&11. Iraqi AF destroyed on the ground.

now that's air superiority!!!

it never happened in 71.

Umm. Maybe some of us should take a look at this again. Now let me find the excerpt I was reading where this was called 'complete air superiority.'

india has admitted loss of 40 a/c by its own admission - so much for your air aces link!

pls come up with something better.

what is really interesting to note that whilst the PAF has 'opened' its records for scrutiny after the 65 and 71 wars, the IAF has not done the same!!!

1971 was a good time chosen by India and they are the winner. From then on Eastern pakistan is not a threat to India.
Yes.

As long i konw, when we achieve our Independence , Atal Bihari Vajpayee told to Indira Gandhi that u just made a new pakistan.

The subject is "Who won the Air War in 1971".?
Through conspiracy, BanglaDesh indeed gained independence,
90,000 odd including some 40,000 Military Personal became POW and against Geneva Convention, kept prisoners for several years.
However, did India won the air campaign, ?
The answer is a definitive ...... NO. !!!!

you win based on objectives achieved.
IAF objective was to defend on west and destroy the eastern divisions of PAF while providing support to ground troops.
The fact that your pilots had to run for trucks to get out of bangladesh is good enough proof that the eastern division of PAF ceased to exist.
What was PAF objective?
Now you can rethink on the bolded part.

jingoism aside - if one checks the airforce records of inventories - IAF lost 68 a/c in 71 as compared to 40 PAF losses (which include 12 sabres self-destroyed at dacca plus 5 sabres lost on the ramp during a IAF attack on sargodha when re-fuelling) - PAF was able to 'deny' IAF air-superiority of the skies which was / is PAF doctrine at least at that time.

if u say u won the air-war then what can i say!

PAF lost 40 aircrafts based on ... PAF ? I will let you believe that.

one wins air superiority when NO repeat NO enemy a/c are able to fly in air defence roles - when the enemy air force is rendered in-operable.

only two recent examples come to mind.

67 arab-israeli war where the IDFAF completely destroyed the arab air forces on the ground. and...

Desert Storm 1&11. Iraqi AF destroyed on the ground.

now that's air superiority!!!

it never happened in 71.

Then just call air war of 1971 a draw.

Well, Here's General Chuck Comment's about PAF Air Supremacy in West Pakistan
The air war lasted two weeks and the Pakistanis scored a
three-to-one kill ratio, knocking out 102 Russian-made Indian jets
and losing thirty-four airplanes of their own. I'm certain about the
figures because I went out several times a day in a chopper and
counted the wrecks below." "They were really good, aggressive
dogfighters and proficient in gunnery and air combat tactics. I was
damned impressed. Those guys just lived and breathed flying. "
(General (Retd.) Chuck Yeager (USAF) , Book: Yeager, the
Autobiography).

LoL....How many people over here know that Chuck Yeager's private jet was blasted into bits by an Indian hunter .What ever he says about India is worthy to be in the bin.

pakistan lost 34 warplanes while india lost 27 over east pakistan and 107 over west pakistan a total of 134 warplanes.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

for those who r not accepting chuck yeager must come up with solid proofs not their own ideas. cuz an indian cant b rite just cuz he says so. solid proofs needed!

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

really?! can u provide sme info onopening of records by PAF.

Pakistan won 1948 and 1965 war. Pakistan terribly lost 1971 and Kargil was a draw because technically Pakistan won in the land but lost on the table. ISI is supporting proxies against India and RAW is doing the same thing in Baluchistan. Unless both sides stop, more lives will be lost, specially poor people in both sides of the border and we will not be able to move on from the harsh past.

Pakistan won 1948 and 1965 war. Pakistan terribly lost 1971 and Kargil was a draw because technically Pakistan won in the land but lost on the table. ISI is supporting proxies against India and RAW is doing the same thing in Baluchistan. Unless both sides stop, more lives will be lost, specially poor people in both sides of the border and we will not be able to move on from the harsh past.

pakistan won 1948 and 1965 when did that happen.............

both the war was fought to liberate kashmir but i can see j & k in india map so sorry u never won both of the war........

as of 1971 u can see that on map...no need for explantion

1999 how kargil was draw when IA took all the peak which were occupied by PA..explain

what are u smoking??

1948 - whatever Kashmir land Pakistan got was before Indian Army entered Kashmir, when the actual fight started btwn Indian and Pakistan armed forces, Pakistan started to retreat.

1965 - Pakistan attacked Kashmir in hopes of capturing Kashmir. Forget Kashmir, by the time the ceasefire was declared, Pakistan was grasping to save lahore..u lost more land than u gained...

1999- We claimed back almost all the land except one hill, which btw is good strategic move..u will have to maintain ur presence all the time surrounded by our hostile troops...

what is really interesting to note that whilst the PAF has 'opened' its records for scrutiny after the 65 and 71 wars, the IAF has not done the same!!!

now thats telling although they claim to win all the wars

now thats telling although they claim to win all the wars
Jumping on conclusion on one single random statement leads nowhere. IAF has its own doctrine and if it wants to keep it classified...well every country do such things in one case or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom