What's new

Who was the Greatest Emperor in South Asian History?

Who was the Greatest emperor in South Asia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Indeed krishnadevaraya,dhruva,govinda 3,pulakeshin 2,rajendra and rajaraj chola were all great empires.Main problem is they mostly stuck to the south and can't be called in a true sense emperor of the subcontinent except rajendra chola maybe.

Not true of Dhruva & his son Govinda. Both defeated the two other main kingdoms of India(then), Gurjara Pratiharas and the Palas of Bengal and Govinda actually seized Kannauj and was pretty much the greatest conqueror from the South into North India. The Rashtrakutas were probably the only dynasty from the South to regularly wage wars deep inside North India & force submission.

If you remove military conquest as an essential criteria, Govinda III's son Amoghavarsha I (Asoka of the South) was probably one of the greatest emperors, both for an extremely high level of prosperity & peace in his reign, for his patronage of the arts & sciences as well as his own literary genius, probably the only king to have composed major literary pieces in two different languages; Kannada & Sanskrit, both very highly acclaimed.

Not true of Dhruva & his son Govinda. Both defeated the two other main kingdoms of India(then), Gurjara Pratiharas and the Palas of Bengal and Govinda actually seized Kannauj and was pretty much the greatest conqueror from the South into North India. The Rashtrakutas were probably the only dynasty from the South to regularly wage wars deep inside North India & force submission.

If you remove military conquest as an essential criteria, Govinda III's son Amoghavarsha I (Asoka of the South) was probably one of the greatest emperors, both for an extremely high level of prosperity & peace in his reign, for his patronage of the arts & sciences as well as his own literary genius, probably the only king to have composed major literary pieces in two different languages; Kannada & Sanskrit, both very highly acclaimed.

Yes both did.Though didn't establish a permanent presence there.Govinda 3 enjoyed supreme respect all over india in his lifetime.

Ashoka has always fascinated me as a leader and spiritual person, a part of me likes to think he sure had a bit of sufi in him.

Fun fact, Mansehra city pays host to the Ashoka Rocks, huge boulders with the 14 edicts of Ashoka:
Ashoka-05.jpg

Pakistan is a treasure of historical and archaelogical sites,if therew as no terrorism tourism would have been a major business.

Pakistan is a treasure of historical and archaelogical sites,if therew as no terrorism tourism would have been a major business.

all the archeological exploration should be stopped in Pakistan and excavated sites should be buried in sand. once Taliban/aurangzeb style Islamists come to power (which is inevitable, we just don't know when) all the archaeological treasure will be destroyed mercilessly.

Strange chandragupta vikramaditya is getting so much ignorance.Reign called india's golden age in music,arts,science.Defeated the powerful sakas,expanded gupta empire to highest limit.The hero of vikram and vetal.

Ashoka has always fascinated me as a leader and spiritual person, a part of me likes to think he sure had a bit of sufi in him.

Fun fact, Mansehra city pays host to the Ashoka Rocks, huge boulders with the 14 edicts of Ashoka:
Ashoka-05.jpg
My city :yahoo: my school was right next to the monument.

Aurengzeb by a mile

the wealth, the power and the amount of people he ruled over alone make him the greatest

great rulers dont have to be good

the only rulers the world knows from the sub contonent are

Ashoka
Babur
Akbar
Shah Jahan
Aurenzeb

the rest are forgotten by the world becauer they are not important

the mughal empire was the richest and most powerfull empire from south asia ruling over 25% of the world population

so the best ruler HAS to be a mughal

personal opinion aside it was probably Akbar who did the most to cement the mughal empire

hence akbar is the greatest ruler because no othrr south asian empire can come closr to it in terms of wealth power and might

Aurengzeb by a mile

the wealth, the power and the amount of people he ruled over alone make him the greatest

great rulers dont have to be good

the only rulers the world knows from the sub contonent are

Ashoka
Babur
Akbar
Shah Jahan
Aurenzeb

the rest are forgotten by the world becauer they are not important

the mughal empire was the richest and most powerfull empire from south asia ruling over 25% of the world population

so the best ruler HAS to be a mughal

personal opinion aside it was probably Akbar who did the most to cement the mughal empire

hence akbar is the greatest ruler because no othrr south asian empire can come closr to it in terms of wealth power and might

Wealth doesn't mean might.Even with all their wealth the mughals were at a disadvantge against the safavid persians.
Imperial china with all its wealth fell to the dirt poor mongol hordes.
Aurangzeb despite many excellent personal virtues,in the end was a failure who overextended the empire and whose bigoted policies were directly responsible for its disintegration.I mean he alienated everyone,jats,rajputs,sikhs,assamese and marathas.His deccan policy was a outright disaster that broke the mughal financial base.
And not really the mauryan empire at its peak was probably the most powerful and richest of its time.Chandragupta did defeat the seleucids who were the largest and usually considered the most powerful of the hellenestic states covering most of the old persian empire.
What do u mean forgotten,if thats the case mostly only chandragupta,akbar,asoka,samudragupta and babur would be remembered.Shahjahan only for taj mahal.Aurangzeb hasn't done anything of note to be remembered in world history.

I want to vote but seems to be a problem voting thru mobile but will definitely do so thru lap top after recharging my internet balance.It is really surprising to see chandra maurya leading by such a big margin.This being a pakistani forum i though aurangazeb would have more votes but he hardly seems to be even in contest.Glad to know that there are so many people out here who feel CGM as the all time greatest emperor of south asia.

Back
Top Bottom