What's new

Who killed Benazir Bhutto?

Pakistan Army is like a anchor that keeps a fissiperous, explosive, radical, sectarian, ethnic cleavages tied together inside the country. We saw what happened in Syria, Iraq when central authority failed and those states abandoned territory to lawlessness where ISIS and countless other groups took root. Indeed Afghanistan next door to Pakistan which shares similar cultures and history is keeping US Army and good chunk of NATO busy for the last 17 years. Prior to that they kept the Red Army dancing. Pakistan is over 7 times more populous than Afghanistan.

You might wish Pakistan Army away. But be prepared to send in the entire US Army and rest of NATO for the next 3o years and enforce compulsory draft as you face Vietnam v2.0 on sterioids in Pakistan. Most of Pakistan is armed. Most make American gun lovers look like pacifists. That is why Obama said "Pakistan was his nightmare".
Situation is not as grim, IMO. A large number of Pakistani are peace-loving well-to-do individuals at present.

Yes, removal of Pakistan Army from the equation will leave a power vacuum and numerous entities will emerge and vie for control. Under these circumstances, chances of CIVIL WAR would increase tenfold. Similar to developments in Iraq.

US is smarter now. They routed ISIS from across the Middle East through a combination of precision strikes and some allies on the ground. A few thousand US troops were involved. Operation Inherent Resolve was the name of the game.

Even in Afghanistan, a few thousand US troops are involved at present. And it is possible that US will attempt something akin to Operation Inherent Resolve there.

Large overseas deployments become expensive over the course of time.

I agree with the gist of your argument that Pakistan Army is a vital source of stability in the country.

I see nothing wrong in wearing western attire, but preference should be to Shalwar Kameez and to Sherwani for obvious reasons.
I think too much is placed on externals. Many of my family wear Shalwar Kameez but I think we need to be relaxed about this. Nations greater then us with greater pedigree like Turks, Chinese have no qualms in adopting Western dress. When was last time you saw Xi or Erdogan dress like this? The focus should be substance not form.

these-ottoman-empire-figures-in-1500-represent-a-guard-a-janizary-BHFWFP.jpg

images

I think too much is placed on externals. Many of my family wear Shalwar Kameez but I think we need to be relaxed about this. Nations greater then us with greater pedigree like Turks, Chinese have no qualms in adopting Western dress. When was last time you saw Xi or erdogran dress like this? The focus should be substance not form.

these-ottoman-empire-figures-in-1500-represent-a-guard-a-janizary-BHFWFP.jpg

images

Very funny @Kaptaan.

I said there is nothing wrong with wearing western clothes.

I have seen even Xi Jinping even wearing a suit.

Since western culture has become international culture. There is nothing wrong in wearing western clothes. No duh!

Even our Quaid-e-Azam wore a suit!

international culture.
Yes, of course. Lot of what people call "western" are just footprints of being first in becoming developed societies. As others like China, Japan, Turkey, Korea etc have developed those "footprints" of modernity are as you said just "international".

We know the oldest recorded zero is from Bakshali, Pakistan. Everybody uses the zero but nobody equates that to "eastern" or "Asian" etc.

And since when does Turkey have a greater pedigree than Pakistan?

Pakistan is the home to the Indus River civilization. Can Turkey boast of something like that?

A person who has the poor judgement or the impotence to marry Zadari .... Is in my books a looser if alive or forgettable if dead.

Pakistan has a great history all the way from Gilgit-Baltistan to Balochistan.

The only problem with Pakistan is that some people are uneducated, poor, and there is bad marketing of the country.

Yes Pakistan is a poor country, thats why we need to fix it.

Put the Allah Wallay on one side and the Pro Americans on the other side and you need a "Balance" and that balance is the Pakistan Army!
Sounds like the British colonial army or McClellan's approach to fighting the American Civil War: ignore the civilian leadership and strive to be the balance between the warring parties instead.

A bit more clarity today: confirmation with the official release of the ISI's December 2007 document: link. This was referred to in the article here as, "A secret security agency document leaked to Eos" and former interior minister Malik says this lead was actively pursued. So the ISI now gets some credit for intelligence collection, though not pursuing, capturing, or killing the perpetrators. @Kaptaan

Everything aside but Benazir was a good looking woman with good features, Pakistan’s First Lady PM - irrespective of good or bad, under human compassion show some remorse.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom