What's new

Which Indian King/Historical event is most under appreciated in Indian History?

Indian history starts in 1947, so there shouldn't be many obscure leaders to choose from.

Ajatashatru/mahapadma nanda
A peculiar phenomenon that i observed while reading about Gujara-Pratihara and Rashtrakuta empires was that while Rashtrakuta satraps use to rebel against central authority at very first opportunity ( Rashtrakuta empire was supplanted by it's satraps), Gujara-Pratihara's satraps remained loyal to central authority long after that empire was just a shell of it's former self.Pratihara empire was thrown out only when a decadent emperor ascended onto throne.

What is your opinion regarding this phenomenon?

Rajputs bound by code of honour.Oath of loyalty given by their family/clan to pratihara emperor is in their view of great significance.Rajputs had their own quasi-chivalric code with extreme emphasis on honour.

I guess in general the history of Magadha is muted in our studies. Primarily because later historical events are more clearly documented, especially from Muughal era onwards.

I think Vijayanagara Kingdom and the Ahoms, there is hardly any history of it in text books only 2 lines about them while major part of it is dedicated to mughal secular rulers courtesy of left marxist historians.

Wrong.Present NCERT syllabus a lot about Vijayanagra and its capital Humpi.Though Ahoms are still confined in one page of text.

Raja Raja Chola by far is the most underrated one.Cholas conquered South India,Sri Lanka going all the way upto Bengal and all habitable parts of SE Asia
And yet our history textbooks make only a passing reference to Chola accomplishments.
250px-Rajendra_map_new.svg.png

I am not Tamil in case you are wondering.
Kaniska is also very underrated.

220px-Kushanmap.jpg

Damn it . :D

You early mentioned it .You are right bro.
Rajendra Chola expanded his influence from South India to Laos Cambodia and most of SE nations.
He had one of the most powerful Navy ,perhaps most powerful in the world at that time.

I guess in general the history of Magadha is muted in our studies. Primarily because later historical events are more clearly documented, especially from Muughal era onwards.
the reason for that is, the Nanda dynasty were enemies of the Maura's & preceded them as it was the immediate kingdom before the Maurya Dynasty , their dislike of Chandara Gupta & the battles fought against him , along with their disputing the status of Chandara Gupta being a Kshatriya , Chandra Gupta & his grand son Ashoka the great , plays a very central role to the ethos of present day India , just like Sultanate of Delhi, became historically overshadowed in front of the glory of the Mughal Empire. similarly the legacy of the Nanda's Dynasty became the historical casualties in front of the glory of the Maurya Empire

Last edited:
Indian history starts in 1947, so there shouldn't be many obscure leaders to choose from.

Chinese troll,

India lacked unified empires since Hindu religious laws forbade vanquishing the loser.

According to Hindu religious law, war is of three type : Dharmavijaya (righteous conquest), Lobhvijay (Conquest for greed), and Asurvijaya ( demonic conquest)

In First type, defeated king is forced to render homage and tribute after which he or a member of his family is reinstated.

In second type, enormous booty is demanded and large portions of territory are annexed.

In third type, conquered kingdom is annihilated politically.

The latter two are disproved by all Hindu texts except Arthashastra. In Mahabharat it is written:

" A King should not attempt to gain earth unrighteously,

for who revers the king who wins unrighteous victory?

Unrighteous conquest is impermanent

and does not lead to heaven"

This is the reason that there were no large empires in India. But at the same time, Hindu texts starting from Rig veda onwards clearly differentiates between Aryavarta ( land of Aryans ) and mellechas ( foreigners ). Aryavarta was always regarded as one country ( India/Bharat) which would be ruled by a chakravartin samrat. Most of the time, when there was just one strong dynasty which assumed this mantle. It was dynasty based in Patliaputra ( patna ) till 500-700 AD, and one based in Kanyakubjah ( Kannauj) close to 1000 AD.There was no chakravartin when there were two or more competing dynasties.

By your logic, China did not existed before 1912.

Last edited:

Keep that it for yourself.
All of the ancient kings in India fought together even thousands years ago when there was situation arise.Entire kingdoms was took part in Mahabharata war from Kerala to Kashmir and NE to Pakistan.Ashoka the Great had entire subcontinent as his territory .

King Lalitaditya of Kashmir, subjugated vast tracts in North India, Central Asia and Tibet. No mention of him in our school books

He also built martand temple, only Sun temple that use to honor dusk's Sun.

Another important nugget of info is that Rajatarangini by Kalahan, probably best Secular text written in Sanskrit ,depicting proper history of India ( not mythology ) was written during his reign.

I am creating this to thread to gain knowledge about those part of history which are usually not taught at school level in detail,and to discuss another side of rulers/Kings who are not given enough significance in Indian history since quantum of achievement is low, even though against much hostile odds than some empire builders.

Members should steer clear of famous Kings like Ashoka and Akbar as everyone knows about them.

I would start by two examples:

1. All non mauryan dynasties of Magadha, especially Ajatashatru.

In my opinion, Ajatashatru , if ever mentioned in history, is mentioned in very negative tenor since he killed his father to ascend throne , killed civilians , and ruthlessly conquered Kosala and Vashali.

His ruthlessness, for which he is berated in mainstream historical discourse, in my opinion is his redeeming quality. He ensured that Magadha , at the time of his death, would be strongest Kingdom in India with only mahajanpada of Avanti being able to offer some resistance. He was a no holds barred commander who took war & conquest seriously , rather than treating it as a quasi sport unlike some of later Kings; and used innovative techniques like siege engines to win.He was someone who stick it to his enemies, a quality sorely missing from a lot of Indian Kings.

The area under his tutelage may have been limited, but he along with his father were chief architect of Magadha Empire which would go on to become a Pan-Indian Empire.

Chandragupta , when he ascended the throne, got a well knit Empire in which Avanti ,which was longstanding competitor, was assimilated by Shishunaga ( who also brought all 16 Mahajanpadas under Magadh Empire ), and Nandas ( could be regarded as first empire builders ) who expanded their kingdom into deccan, and raised a large standing army.

Mauryans on the other hand had it relatively easy. Since tribes of Punjab were already subdued by Alexander, Chandragupta has to just walk into Punjab/Sindh region with his Army ( courtesy Nandas ) and conquer some small kingdoms in South to establish a pan Indian empire.

2. Raja Sukhdeo ( I learned about him on PDF)

Like Battle of Rajasthan ensured that India would not become a Muslim country ( By giving breathing space of 300 years , until Ghaznavid invasion, to India ), Battle of Bahraich fought by Raja Sukhdeo against Mohd. salar masood , nephew of Ghaznavi who invaded India after death of his uncle, ensured that Border of Pakistan passes through middle of Punjab rather than Madhya Pradesh ( He provided India with breathing space of 150 years, till Ghurid Invasions).

Salar massod, who followed his uncle's footstep, invaded India in 1031 AD . In response to this threat Raja Sukhdeo raised a confederate Army and two Armies clashed near Chittaura Jheel, Bahraich. In this battle, whole of Ghaznavid army was slaughtered, thus ending invasion.

Raja Sukhdeo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ghazi Saiyyad Salar Masud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@levina @SarthakGanguly @ExtraOdinary @scorpionx @Ravi Nair @anant_s @Indischer @arp2041 @nair @Robinhood Pandey @Roybot @jaunty @Abingdonboy @sancho @Srinivas @gslv mk3 @halupridol @Dash @MohitV @Skull and Bones @acetophenol @IND151 @HariPrasad @he-man @Guynextdoor2 @eowyn @Tridibans @sms @my2cents @jarves @Rajaraja Chola @XiNiX @Android@nik22 @OrionHunter @Star Wars @Nair saab @Indo-guy @Brahmos_2 @desert warrior @gslv @Mike_Brando @oFFbEAT @GR!FF!N @COLDHEARTED AVIATOR @Bang Galore @Dillinger @AUSTERLITZ @sandy_3126 @Dem!god @Kurama @zip @wolfschanzze @RKO @ni8mare @JD_In @illusion8 @kaku1 @blood @ranjeet @GURU DUTT @rockstarIN @IndoUS @SR-91 @danish_vij @kaykay @Black Widow @StormShadow @kurup @raja hindustani @noksss @TejasMk3 @shuntmaster

@sreekumar @45'22' @danger007 @Nova2 @chhota bheem @janon @anonymus @GORKHALI @Tshering22 @SledgeHammer @Sardar Singh @FNFAL @ptltejas @scorpionx @SarthakGanguly @Sidak @levina @thesolar65 @INDIC @Saheli

And anyone whom i may have left.

I would like to name Harshvardhana.....
Harsha was greatest emperor of Central India and consolidated much of central India after the fall of Gupta empire. He blocked the advances of Southern emperors such as Pulikesin into North India. A fair ruler who was greatly respected across India and still remembered.

1.jpg

I think if Pulikesin or Pulakesi and Harshvardhana were born in 2 differen eras then they both would have been able to achieve far more than they could. Though Pulakesi was very brutal and power hungry king.He was one of the most feared kings of Southern India and was known for fierce methods.
We havent learnt much about both these kings...nothing that I can remember of.

He also built martand temple, only Sun temple that use to honor dusk's Sun.

Dont we also have sun temple in konark.So sun temple in kashmir should not be the only one.

Last edited:
vijayanagara was a small kingdom similar to the size of Nizam of Hyderabad or Ranjeet singh , however "the Chola Dynasty" was another Beast altogether , & it was one Kick A$$ Power House encompassing south India , parts of indo-china & Indonesia the empire stretched more then 6000 km with a huge area size of 1.3 million sq mi or 3.6 million sq km ! , it was bigger then present day India , UK , & Switzerland combined ! , however, it was more of a south east Asian power, rather then a south Asian one , there for, it is not mentioned much especially in the context of other kingdoms or empires like the Mughals or Maurya's , which were more of a south Asian powerhouse (India-Pakistan -BD & parts of Afghanistan) secondly when it came to the Chola dynasty, the language & culture were also quite different, as it was not an Indo-Iranian one like Sanskrit or Persian which dominated both kingdoms like Maura or Mughals etc & with which both formed a very strong rooted cultural identity, that we see in present day India-Pakistan , as for Ahom again it was too small so as to have the type of historical impact that is needed to, The Chola Empire did it however they did it, in the wrong side of the bay of Bengal ! the realms of power & dominance in south Asia lies in India/Pakistan & Afghanistan, it has always been like that , from the Buddhist periods,
to the Hindu kingdoms to the Muslim ones , heck even Mahabharat needed to be there :lol:

The Chola Empire

agreed. . however am not counting size of kingdom... but the King ... During his time diamonds sold like peanuts. ... btw.. i like the battle between Porus vs Alex...

the reason for that is, the Nanda dynasty were enemies of the Maura's & preceded them as it was the immediate kingdom before the Maurya Dynasty , their dislike of Chandara Gupta & the battles fought against him , along with their disputing the status of Chandara Gupta being a Kshatriya , Chandra Gupta & his grand son Ashoka the great , plays a very central role to the ethos of present day India , just like sultanate of Delhi became historically overshadowed in front of the glory of the Mughal Empire the legacy of the Nanda's Dynasty became casualties in front of the glory Maurya Empire

But in this case, Magadha empire was stitched together by those dynasties. Mughals did the heavy lifting themselves.

Dont we also have sun temple in konark.So sun temple in kashmir should not be the only one.

It honors rising sun. Only marand temple honors/use to honour setting sun.

Back
Top Bottom