What's new

Which country do you believe enjoys the best geopolitical position?

Which country do you believe enjoys the best geopolitical position?

• Total voters
I was joking back there about the size, I wrote it because many Indian members voted India without providing reasons. I understand about India's geopolitical advantages, you have no shortage of it, but I don't accept that India is the most important one among those mentioned.

China is most important in the above list... There is no dispute on that .. but coming to turkey yes India is more important. .

We are in race for Permanent member in UN. We have independent policy which Turkey lacks... Turkey struck in NATO sphere.. We are second to USN in Indian ocean. . .. We are growing much stronger day by day... Recently US announced India is linchpin to its pivot Asia .. but we rejected it... does turkey can do that??? most merchant ships passes through malacca straight. .. where we have Naval base ... I am not talking about blockade or anything. .. but guarding the Indian ocean... China is leap ahead of India no doubt in it... I am excluding China ... Iran suffering vastly because of economical sanction .. not in a position to exert it's influence. .. We have been to neck to neck with US in devayani incident and with Italy on Marines .... I meant we are able to stand up to US... and we are able to force those marines get back...

We are diplomatically stronger than Turkey...

You, like many others here confused geopolitics with politics. Another example can make it more clear: Consider Turkey for example. If Turkey was a huge desert with zero population, it would still be geopolitically important because it connects Asia to Europe and for many other factors. Now, whether its government use these advantages properly or not, is another thing. In other words, geopolitical importance is mostly an inherent feature rather than a human-made one. However, humans come to equation when it comes to effectively exploiting geopolitical importance. I already said in my post that due to sanctions, many potentials of Iran are not properly used now, but in 'equal' circumstances, I believe Iran has more advantages compared to India when it comes to geopolitics, but you now have a better chance to use yours compared to us.
Dude, I think it was my fault not to discuss the basics of the word geopolitics, and it's factors, but I am glad you made some interesting points and information in your post.
Some parameters for rating the geopolitical factors of a location might be:
Access to free waters
Strategical depth
Cross section and interconnection factors
Position regarding energy hubs
Containing sufficient food resources.
Rates of fossil energy adequacy.
Bordering land-lock zones.
Accessing enough water resources.

Last edited:
Iran has the best geopolitical position.
Close to Europe,Russia,China,ME.
The only manco Iran has is the regime.

I voted for Iran and when I checked to see who else voted for Iran, I was happy to see your name.

I will add a few points:

1. Iran has been tackling the whole world's pressure at US's instigation and still stubbornly refusing to compromise its stand. One has to appreciate that in a nation.

2. Iran borders every nation in Eastern ME. With Turkey it shares the Northern borders of ME.

3. Iran borders three very important regions of the world: ME, Central Asia, South Asia.

4. If it were not for the sectarian regime in Iran, it would be the most prosperous country among its neighbors.

I wanted to vote for Pakistan. But Pakistan is a young nation. It needs to get over 100 years of age to be considered eligible to join the league of nations being discussed. It will do so Insha-Allah, but until then one can not compare it with the others.

Turkey was also on my list. But I think Iran beats it because it is in a position to control the Persian Gulf and the flow of Oil.

Big countries like China and India do not have a strategic position as such, because they are like regional anchors. Other countries have a strategic position in relation to them. It is pointless to have India and China on this list, IMO.

I voted for Iran and when I checked to see who else voted for Iran, I was happy to see your name.

I will add a few points:

1. Iran has been tackling the whole world's pressure at US's instigation and still stubbornly refusing to compromise its stand. One has to appreciate that in a nation.

2. Iran borders every nation in Eastern ME. With Turkey it shares the Northern borders of ME.

3. Iran borders three very important regions of the world: ME, Central Asia, South Asia.

4. If it were not for the sectarian regime in Iran, it would be the most prosperous country among its neighbors.

I wanted to vote for Pakistan. But Pakistan is a young nation. It needs to get over 100 years of age to be considered eligible to join the league of nations being discussed. It will do so Insha-Allah, but until then one can not compare it with the others.

Turkey was also on my list. But I think Iran beats it because it is in a position to control the Persian Gulf and the flow of Oil.

Big countries like China and India do not have a strategic position as such, because they are like regional anchors. Other countries have a strategic position in relation to them. It is pointless to have India and China on this list, IMO.
Thanks dude,:tup:
As always a meaningful discussion.

Turkey & Indonesia/Malaysia
they have one of the busiest & most important shipping lanes
the Malacca Straits & the Turkish Straits

Malacca Straits ..............................................................,,,, Turkish Straits

China is most important in the above list... There is no dispute on that .. but coming to turkey yes India is more important. .

We are in race for Permanent member in UN. We have independent policy which Turkey lacks... Turkey struck in NATO sphere.. We are second to USN in Indian ocean. . .. We are growing much stronger day by day... Recently US announced India is linchpin to its pivot Asia .. but we rejected it... does turkey can do that??? most merchant ships passes through malacca straight. .. where we have Naval base ... I am not talking about blockade or anything. .. but guarding the Indian ocean... China is leap ahead of India no doubt in it... I am excluding China ... Iran suffering vastly because of economical sanction .. not in a position to exert it's influence. .. We have been to neck to neck with US in devayani incident and with Italy on Marines .... I meant we are able to stand up to US... and we are able to force those marines get back...

We are diplomatically stronger than Turkey...

Even Afghanistan is diplomatically stronger than us...nowadays.

Exactly, I'd also like to ask some Indian members to state their reasons for voting. Only being a 'big country' is not a reason for being geopoliticaly important. :D

India

We consider the location of India as most strategic because of following reasons

1) Look at the location of Indian peninsula, It clearly divides Indian Ocean into two equal halves. Western navy fleet controls west Indian ocean which extends upto Africa. Eastern navy fleet controls east Indian ocean which extends upto SE Asia and Australia.
India_%2528orthographic_projection%2529.svg.png

2) Western front - Almost All the Oil Lanes passes threw Arabian sea, which has Mumbai, the financial capital on the eastern side. The major ships coming from gulf of Oman stops for a period in Mumbai before proceeding journey for the rest of the asia. The economic vessels can not overlook Mumbai and Indian peninsula. Security - Indian navy exercises its power when required. Recently India conducted operation on Somalia pirates near Africa. Mostly all the economic vessels requests IN for protection against pirates.

Countries which depends on this Location of India are : Middle eastern countries, European countries, African countries

3) Eastern front - On Eastern front, India is even more strategically located. India has complete control over Strait of Malacca due to our Andaman and Nicobar islands. Chinese trade is dependent upto 80% on this Straight of Malacca. This part is very important and acts as area of economic respiration for south east Asia. Security - Indian Navy protects the northern parts of Malacca straight.
300px-Strait_of_malacca.jpg

Countries which depends on this Location of India are : Thiland, Veitnam, China, Japan, Indonesia and rest of the east asia

4) Below is the picture of the World Trade going through Indian Ocean. See your yourself how India is strategically located!!!

Silk_route.jpg

5) India is protected by Pakistan in west from all the political disturbances in middle east and west asia. The North and east of India has Himalian ranges and forests making it one of the most secure country by geopolitics.

Considering those factors plus lots of more other reasons, made me to think that Iran would be on the race in the top, but somehow I was kinda shocked seeing the results.
Turkey is where 3 continents are crossed, but it has no strategical depth, if you know what I mean, and also it has no direct access to free waters.
Pakistan, is positioned in a really cross section position, but comparing to Iran it has much less neighboring countries, and also no access into oil rich gulf countries.
I also was shocked to see India in the race too.
Yes but the countries neighbouring us are dependent on us .. Either the landlocked Afghanistan n Central Asia or china etc..:)

Anyways fk tht.

India

We consider the location of India as most strategic because of following reasons

1) Look at the location of Indian peninsula, It clearly divides Indian Ocean into two equal halves. Western navy fleet controls west Indian ocean which extends upto Africa. Eastern navy fleet controls east Indian ocean which extends upto SE Asia and Australia.
India_%2528orthographic_projection%2529.svg.png

2) Western front - Almost All the Oil Lanes passes threw Arabian sea, which has Mumbai, the financial capital on the eastern side. The major ships coming from gulf of Oman stops for a period in Mumbai before proceeding journey for the rest of the asia. The economic vessels can not overlook Mumbai and Indian peninsula. Security - Indian navy exercises its power when required. Recently India conducted operation on Somalia pirates near Africa. Mostly all the economic vessels requests IN for protection against pirates.

Countries which depends on this Location of India are : Middle eastern countries, European countries, African countries

3) Eastern front - On Eastern front, India is even more strategically located. India has complete control over Strait of Malacca due to our Andaman and Nicobar islands. Chinese trade is dependent upto 80% on this Straight of Malacca. This part is very important and acts as area of economic respiration for south east Asia. Security - Indian Navy protects the northern parts of Malacca straight.
300px-Strait_of_malacca.jpg

Countries which depends on this Location of India are : Thiland, Veitnam, China, Japan, Indonesia and rest of the east asia

4) Below is the picture of the World Trade going through Indian Ocean. See your yourself how India is strategically located!!!

Silk_route.jpg

5) India is protected by Pakistan in west from all the political disturbances in middle east and west asia. The North and east of India has Himalian ranges and forests making it one of the most secure country by geopolitics.
Thanks man :tup:
Really interesting sort of information.

and Russia laughs at you pawns running here and there on the chessboard calling pawn countries as important !

Out of mentioned countries I think China and Iran seems to be in better place, Pakistan isn't bad either

From all over the world I think Switzerland, Belgium and Luxembourg are better geographical locations

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom