What's new

Which Book are you reading

@jbgt90

It's all your fault, you skinflint.
I'm glad it's not mine. I saw the mention after reading the reply. I've been obsessed with Rachmaninoff's second piano concerto. Really stimulates one's imagination. Also, it just goes wonderfully with the turning weather.

I'm glad it's not mine. I saw the mention after reading the reply. I've been obsessed with Rachmaninoff's second piano concerto. Really stimulates one's imagination. Also, it just goes wonderfully with the turning weather.

Have you heard Rach3 played by Argerich? Her playing reduces me to a quivering blob, scared to say or do anything in case the magic goes away.

I could do with more context.

It's about currency-counters who then just tuck the damn stuff away.

Check with that hound what he does for a living; then check with him how he encourages the arts (not).

Have you heard Rach3 played by Argerich? Her playing reduces me to a quivering blob, scared to say or do anything in case the magic goes away.
I have! But the clarinet melody from the second movement has been haunting me too much to let me move on to the next one. I've been wondering why Argerich never recorded it.

@jbgt90

I'm telling you, the editors and going to take on his book like nobody's business. Just write a titillating first chapter and you'll do fine, @Joe Shearer. And make it fiction.

I have! But the clarinet melody from the second movement has been haunting me too much to let me move on to the next one. I've been wondering why Argerich never recorded it.

images

Do you also like K622 then?

@jbgt90

I'm telling you, the editors and going to take on his book like nobody's business. Just write a titillating first chapter and you'll do fine, @Joe Shearer. And make it fiction.
images

He'll find out when they rummage through my papers once I'm dead, and discover an unfinished masterpiece with a haunting story line.

Philistine.

images

images

He'll find out when they rummage through my papers once I'm dead, and discover an unfinished masterpiece with a haunting story line.

Philistine.
It's a perfect concerto, Joe. No piece by Mozart has more gravitas than the second movement of K.622.

None!

It's a perfect concerto, Joe. No piece by Mozart has more gravitas than the second movement of K.622.

None!

Come to me and let me give you a hug. Yes, the second. Sublime was coined for describing it.

Tch tch, took you so long to notice that we're soulmates.

LOL.

I think classical music is perfectly distilled into that moment, the second from K622. Oh, there are other lovely moments - Mendelssohn's third movement from his Violin Concerto, Paganini in both the first and second Concerti, most of Bach, anything at all by Beethoven and huge swatches of opera. But instrumentally, this must be it. The centre of the universe.

I couldn't bear it any longer. I went to YouTube and started listening to Rachmaninov.

LOL.

I think classical music is perfectly distilled into that moment, the second from K622. Oh, there are other lovely moments - Mendelssohn's third movement from his Violin Concerto, Paganini in both the first and second Concerti, most of Bach, anything at all by Beethoven and huge swatches of opera. But instrumentally, this must be it. The centre of the universe.
I agree, but I take that it is Beethoven whom you can relate to?

I agree, but I take that it is Beethoven whom you can relate to?

It's largely driven by state of mind. When I am happy and relaxed, Mendelssohn, Paganini, Mozart, Haydn, and certainly Bach. But whether happy or in a state of sullen distemper, the maestro always. He is always talking to us, saying brave and bold things, holding out the vision of a wonderful world that would be possible if only we let our natural selves come out and play. The others are all superb technicians, but they are speaking to themselves, and they are using orchestras as beautiful, unified instruments to create beautiful music, and presenting these to us. With Beethoven, it is a song that he sings for us, urging, begging, pleading us to come along.

Think of the Leonore Overtures - you know the three I mean - and what each variation says, the same thing but in different pitches, tones and urgency.

I used to be torn in two between the seventh and the eighth symphonies, but no longer; it's the ninth, all the way home.

It's largely driven by state of mind. When I am happy and relaxed, Mendelssohn, Paganini, Mozart, Haydn, and certainly Bach. But whether happy or in a state of sullen distemper, the maestro always. He is always talking to us, saying brave and bold things, holding out the vision of a wonderful world that would be possible if only we let our natural selves come out and play. The others are all superb technicians, but they are speaking to themselves, and they are using orchestras as beautiful, unified instruments to create beautiful music, and presenting these to us. With Beethoven, it is a song that he sings for us, urging, begging, pleading us to come along.

Think of the Leonore Overtures - you know the three I mean - and what each variation says, the same thing but in different pitches, tones and urgency.

I used to be torn in two between the seventh and the eighth symphonies, but no longer; it's the ninth, all the way home.
It the pastoral for me. Perhaps it has to do with where we are in our lives. But yes, the third movement from the 9th is beautiful beyond words. One of those moments where time seems to stop.

Something Bernstein said about the maestro:

But in Beethoven case, the form is all because it's a case of what note succeeds every other note, and in Beethoven's case it is always the right next note as though he had some private telephone wire to heaven which told him what the next note had to be. No composer ever had that, even Mozart, to that degree, where everything is so predictable and yet so right that it all checks, it all works out, you can rely on it. You know that the next note has to be the next note and the only next note that could come, and that makes his form perfect.

images

images

Philistine.
Any thing but that my dear boy !!! after all i do hold a personal library of over 24k books and have probably read a few more then you:)

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom