What's new

Which Book are you reading

Carl Sagan: Demon Haunted World

hqdefault.jpg

@Nilgiri @Desert Fox

@Arsalan
Finished reading "Panzer Commander, The Memoirs of Colonel Hans von Luck" this book was really good i really liked how after and during the war he respected his enemies (and got respected back) and treated POW's with care just like Rommel told him to feel kinda bad by reading how frustrated Rommel became in the last days in Afrika if only they could've gotten few more divisions he really would've kicked british out of Egypt! the book is worth it imo.

Some pics from book:
Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Next one probably "Storm of Steel" as was suggested by desert fox.

OFT desert fox bro wanted to tell you i won't be replying to you in that thread on the ongoing discussion cuz i have done this before several times and it leads to no where we will continue to give our arguments but it will stay there :P

and for me it get's boring and repetitive so just wanted to tell you that but it was nice having a discussion with you it was healthy hope you didn't mind any of my posts. :P

@Nilgiri @Desert Fox

@Arsalan
Finished reading "Panzer Commander, The Memoirs of Colonel Hans von Luck" this book was really good i really liked how after and during the war he respected his enemies (and got respected back) and treated POW's with care just like Rommel told him to feel kinda bad by reading how frustrated Rommel became in the last days in Afrika if only they could've gotten few more divisions he really would've kicked british out of Egypt! the book is worth it imo.

Some pics from book:
View attachment 427630
View attachment 427631
View attachment 427632
Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds like a book worthy of my personal library that I'm trying to build. Will give it a read when I get the chance In sha Allah.

Next one probably "Storm of Steel" as was suggested by desert fox.
Skip the intro, or just quickly skim through it because it is boring :lol:.

But the book itself is really good. It's about WW1 and it was one of Goebbels and Hitler's personal favorites since it was neither pro nor anti-war. It just tells war for what it is.

Though the authors writing style might appear new to you from the WW2 books. For me it was. But then again every author has a unique writing style but despite that WW2 books have a unique semblance specific to themselves. I'm assuming, and this is most likely the case, that its due to the nature of WW2.

Though I haven't yet read a book specifically on the German North African campaign.

OFT desert fox bro wanted to tell you i won't be replying to you in that thread on the ongoing discussion cuz i have done this before several times and it leads to no where we will continue to give our arguments but it will stay there :P

and for me it get's boring and repetitive so just wanted to tell you that but it was nice having a discussion with you it was healthy hope you didn't mind any of my posts. :P
Lol bro it's all good. I already knew you were a Liberal before that discussion but I don't have any ill feelings towards you if I disagree with your Political views. At the end of the day we're both Pakistanis and Muslims.

Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds like a book worthy of my personal library that I'm trying to build. Will give it a read when I get the chance In sha Allah.
Yea it was a good read although it's clear he didn't liked Hitler and discusses a bit of politics in this book too but ah they're his opinions i enjoyed the parts.
Skip the intro, or just quickly skim through it because it is boring :lol:.

But the book itself is really good. It's about WW1 and it was one of Goebbels and Hitler's personal favorites since it was neither pro nor anti-war. It just tells war for what it is.

Though the authors writing style might appear new to you from the WW2 books. For me it was. But then again every author has a unique writing style but despite that WW2 books have a unique semblance specific to themselves. I'm assuming, and this is most likely the case, that its due to the nature of WW2.

Though I haven't yet read a book specifically on the German North African campaign.
Yea i actually skipped the intro after like 10 pages maybe? :lol: it got annoying and boring so i skipped it will properly start reading it in a few days.
Lol bro it's all good. I already knew you were a Liberal before that discussion but I don't have any ill feelings towards you if I disagree with your Political views. At the end of the day we're both Pakistanis and Muslims.
:cheers:

Yea it was a good read although it's clear he didn't liked Hitler and discusses a bit of politics in this book too but ah they're his opinions i enjoyed the parts.
I would take his anti-Hitler remarks with a grain of salt. Alot of these Wehrmacht veterans had to express their disgust at Hitler, even if they were faking it, to protect their own skin in the post-war era.

Here's how I see it: if a man fights for something and is willing to lay his life down for it then he is a believer. This guy did his duty to his country and his Führer.

Yea i actually skipped the intro after like 10 pages maybe? :lol: it got annoying and boring so i skipped it will properly start reading it in a few days.
I don't blame you bro.

:pakistan:

I would take his anti-Hitler remarks with a grain of salt. Alot of these Wehrmacht veterans had to express their disgust at Hitler, even if they were faking it, to protect their own skin in the post-war era.

Here's how I see it: if a man fights for something and is willing to lay his life down for it then he is a believer. This guy did his duty to his country and his Führer.
Don't forget that in return for these remarks some of them get loads of money fame etc.

Just finished the third part of a popular Hindi book by Premchand.. karmbhumi.

Reading a collection of memoirs of Indian diplomats compllied by Menon.Will post detailed sections after some time.Right now posting using mobile.It is episodic in nature and refreshingly quite subjective without nationalistic overtones.Some of the episodes mentioned there with the experience of Indian diplomats posted there are :

1) When Ugandan dictator Amin in 1970 ordered all the citizens of India, Pakistan and britan out of the country.Role of India and how our ambassador was declared persona non grata there
2) Fiji military coup and Indian response.Our diplomat was in a unique position in there for months when India refused to recognize the new government.Finally he was declared person non grata.
3) The first climate summit and India's role in it.It was India's non paper that defined the developing countries position on 'equitable and not equal burden' of climate change responsibility stated
4) Chille military coup and indian diplomat significant role in it.The president at that time Allende after committing sucide was found to have a note in his pocket which had an Indian diplomats note in it.He apparently had developed a close relationship with ambassador's wife.
Also for the first time in diplomatic history Indian ambassador was given responsibility to take care of Russian and checkoslovakian embassy after both of them were expelled.
5) Sikkim acceptance into Indian state and the role of two foreign wives , one American of the king's , the other belgiam of his main opponents.

Will post details of each episodes when I get some time.

Reading a collection of memoirs of Indian diplomats compllied by Menon.Will post detailed sections after some time.Right now posting using mobile.It is episodic in nature and refreshingly quite subjective without nationalistic overtones.Some of the episodes mentioned there with the experience of Indian diplomats posted there are :

1) When Ugandan dictator Amin in 1970 ordered all the citizens of India, Pakistan and britan out of the country.Role of India and how our ambassador was declared persona non grata there
2) Fiji military coup and Indian response.Our diplomat was in a unique position in there for months when India refused to recognize the new government.Finally he was declared person non grata.
3) The first climate summit and India's role in it.It was India's non paper that defined the developing countries position on 'equitable and not equal burden' of climate change responsibility stated
4) Chille military coup and indian diplomat significant role in it.The president at that time Allende after committing sucide was found to have a note in his pocket which had an Indian diplomats note in it.He apparently had developed a close relationship with ambassador's wife.
Also for the first time in diplomatic history Indian ambassador was given responsibility to take care of Russian and checkoslovakian embassy after both of them were expelled.
5) Sikkim acceptance into Indian state and the role of two foreign wives , one American of the king's , the other belgiam of his main opponents.

Will post details of each episodes when I get some time.

'Belgian'? She was part Burmese and claimed that Mannerheim was an uncle of sorts. The 'main opponent' you mention was the Kazi; traditionally, in Sikkim, the Chogyal was never the supreme ruler that Hope Cooke wished him to have been, but just one of the two almost co-rulers.

Back
Top Bottom