What's new

When will the Indians feel embarrassed?

Dance

Reaction score
Today Giles “Show me the money” Clarke issued a dire warning. Ever vigilant, like Batman in a pin-striped suit, he’s identified the biggest threat to cricket, the looming danger that could destroy our beautiful game and he wants to tell us all about it.

Is it match-fixing? Nope. Twenty20 overkill? No. What about the ongoing DRS controversy, with its corrosive effect on the authority of umpires? Not that either. The imbalance in wealth between rich and poor cricket boards? The plight of Test cricket? The threat of Premier League football? No, no and no.

It seems the biggest danger to cricket is… people watching cricket on the internet. Now I’ll be honest, until recently (this morning) I didn’t really know what pirate streaming was. It sounds like an extreme form of white-water rafting restricted to members of the piratical fraternity. In a better world, that’s what it would be.

But no. Pirate streaming is the broadcasting of cricket coverage over the internet by people who have no permission to do so. And, make no mistake, it is evil.

“They take money out of the game without commercial benefits to us.”

So says Giles. But is he right? He’s assuming that people who watch illegal footage would otherwise be forking out for a Sky subscription. But surely, if you could afford to buy a Sky subscription, you’d er… do that, rather than choose to watch jerky footage of a blurry Test match that looks like its being filmed through the balcony window of a nearby hotel?

Is it an irritation to the ECB? Yes. Ever so slightly illegal? Certainly. But the biggest danger that cricket faces? Come now, Mr Clarke, you’re being hysterical. It’s like me suggesting that the biggest threat to cricket is the impulse to make as much money as possible in the shortest possible time, regardless of the effect on the sport, its legacy or the wider cricket public (see Stanford, A).

Friday, 27th January
When I first saw the headline, I could feel the gas being turned up beneath the simmering broth of dissatisfaction that has been bubbling away on my mental stove throughout this one-sided Australian-based farce:

“Ashwin says players disappointed, not embarrassed”.

It immediately begged the question: if losing a second away series 4-0 does not embarrass them, what would? Pictures of MS Dhoni as a baby? A Justin Bieber tune discovered on Ishant’s ipod? The revelation that Zaheer used to run a lingerie boutique or that Sachin is an avid reader of the works of Mr J Archer?

But when I calmed down a little and gave it some thought, I realised that Ashwin’s statement is in the classical philosophical tradition of Stoicism. As Marcus Aurelius said at his press conference after the battle of Carnuntum in AD170, “No, I am not embarrassed that the Germans have sneaked across the Danube while I wasn’t looking. If the rational mind of a man refuses to accept embarrassment, then he is not embarrassed. And everyone knows we don’t fight as well away from home.”

In any case, it would hardly be fair to pick on Ashwin. Not only is he the team's deputy nightwatchman, he appears to be the regular press conference watchman, having been to more of these excruciating recrimination and cliché fests than any other member of the squad. How many more different ways can he find to explain why they lost in three days, why Sachin hasn’t scored his hundred yet and why his captain puts most of the fielders on the fence as soon as Australia hit fifty?

Still, I’ve a horrible feeling that his sterling work in front of the microphone won’t do him any good come scapegoat time. Virat looks to have scrambled to safety by scoring some runs and since eight-elevenths of the Indian team appears undroppable, Ashwin must already feel like the next sacrificial victim tied to the tree waiting nervously for The Srikkanth, the terrifying career-eating monster with his deadly axe.

The Long Handle | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

Rather than being dropped - the way forward is the Aussie way and thats to ask players to retire gracefully to avoid the embarassment of ending players that have been brilliant to end their careers by being dropped. VVS and Rahul - thank you for your services to cricket - take care and enjoy retirement. Dhoni if you cant inspire fire and passion into your side move over. Fletcher - sack him coz he is one crap dude and finally Saurav - your country needs you - come and help Indian cricket.

Rather than being dropped - the way forward is the Aussie way and thats to ask players to retire gracefully to avoid the embarassment of ending players that have been brilliant to end their careers by being dropped. VVS and Rahul - thank you for your services to cricket - take care and enjoy retirement. Dhoni if you cant inspire fire and passion into your side move over. Fletcher - sack him coz he is one crap dude and finally Saurav - your country needs you - come and help Indian cricket.

Why should Indians, as a whole, feel ashamed for some poor performance by a sports team?

Come on dude.... Be Practical. Let the players think of their retirement. If you feel competent enough, try to get a job as their Retirement planner..

We understand that there is a need for some changes in the cricket team but then, wait and watch is what we can do...

Most Indian fans are embarrassed I think.
Luckily I am in UK where nobody bothers about cricket, else I wont be able to look in their eyes. :)

Why should Indians, as a whole, feel ashamed for some poor performance by a sports team?

Come on dude.... Be Practical. Let the players think of their retirement. If you feel competent enough, try to get a job as their Retirement planner..

We understand that there is a need for some changes in the cricket team but then, wait and watch is what we can do...

Dude i support cricket anywhere and love watching all teams. I genuinely believe some of the Indian team are too big to be dropped. I never said India should be ashamed - its only cricket yaar. I am just suggesting my opinions on a forum - is that wrong?

like these ? nhi wo log or thy :rofl: tendolker ko to dhaky de ker nikalo wo dosry din phir aya betha ho ga:P

inzamam-guard-of-honor1.jpg

12600.jpg

saeed-anwar-543.jpg

3452259955_559a7a6fb9.jpg

This is very humiliating defeat..... I am sure Indians fans are not Happy. I will directly blame to Indian cricket board who has habit of making bating paradise pitches in India. That's why batsman suffer on foreign pitches.... No doubt India has very Talented and Professional batsman. But habit of playing on batting paradise pitches in India has affected the technique of talented batsman....They are loosing talent due to their cricket board...

Is it match-fixing? Nope. Twenty20 overkill? No. What about the ongoing DRS controversy, with its corrosive effect on the authority of umpires? Not that either. The imbalance in wealth between rich and poor cricket boards? The plight of Test cricket? The threat of Premier League football? No, no and no.

Kindly take the bull by the horns and stop avoiding the dreaded question even if it might put your livelihood in jeopardy my dear sports journo;

Is the Indian team being overworked like chattel? Hell yeah

I honestly can't recall a time when India wasn't touring some nation,playing a home series,IPL,ICC matches etc. for a period of more than a month.The minting of moolah by virtue of flogging the domestic team(Courtesy of the BCCI)must end.Scribes need to grow some nads and point out the obvious rot in the system.

I am not interested in the game of cricket but I didn't understand what you mean to say.

ao what you are doing here in this thread move on somewhere else dude . i am not hindi-urdu free teacher here :D

I don't mean to offend anyone - Whenever I see most of Indian batsmen I remember Gilli and Hayden, I hope you know the reason.

^^^^^^^
and whoever is pointing needs to have some backbone because i believe one or two players seem to be rather larger than life. I dont believe its the players faults either. There is talent waiting - like Rohit - they MUST be given a chance. Indian cricket will turn round quickly - there is raw talent out their. Just need some restructuring and sensible thinking - not based round $$ but round the best for Indian cricket

Most Indian fans are embarrassed I think.
Luckily I am in UK where nobody bothers about cricket, else I wont be able to look in their eyes. :)

I think Indian fans are sad .Why Indians fans need to be embarrassed for something which is not in their control? win or defeat is part of game. If someone should be embarrassed then it should be their players not fans..

Why is loosing on foreign pitches and winning on home pitch is such a bad thing?

I mean isn't that what Aussies and English do too.:cheesy:

Why is loosing on foreign pitches and winning on home pitch is such a bad thing?

I mean isn't that what Aussies and English do too.:cheesy:

Its about quality/techniques of players. A best player/team should give best performance in all pitches if they want to be labelled as best :)

Similarly a good batsman should have ability to play both spinner as well as fast bowlers

Back
Top Bottom