What's new

When America Becomes No. 2 ...

It's very difficult to know when someone surpasses another country.

Is it economic size?
Is it technology (how do you measure)?
Is it military?
Is it soft power?

Different people will have different ways of judging.

We 'll see.
Denial is the first stage.
.....and to belittle one's opponent is usually the first defense !!!

there is nothing to see or for that matter to defend, when the only superpower in the world is the United States of America.

All my points were fact based...if you a see a pathway, a realistic one- to challenge my assertions, then feel free to do so. so far all I see is bluster...

there is nothing to see or for that matter to defend, when the only superpower in the world is the United States of America.

All my points were fact based...if you a see a pathway, a realistic one- to challenge my assertions, then feel free to do so. so far all I see is bluster...

There is no doubt that United States of America is a sole Superpower 'today'

the question is whether USA is prepared for 'tomorrow' ...which may be very different ?

The worst thing that USA can do is to belittle China's meteoric rise as just a regional power ....

The first step towards problem solving ....is to accept that problem exists ....

There is no doubt that United States of America is only sole Superpower 'today'

the question is whether USA is prepared for 'tomorrow' ...which may be very different ?

The worst thing that USA can do is to belittle China's meteoric rise as a regional power ....

The first step towards problem solving ....is to accept that problem exists ....

I asked for fact based counter points.

US is and will be the sole supower today and into next 100 years.

there is not iota of any proof , inclination, movement or jack to show China, India, Russia will being anything but a regional power.

There is no way the 3 will ever allow any one of the other to become a superpower. there is no challenge to us on a global superpower. It very basic and simple concept to understand what it takes to be a superpower to challenge the US. The 3 above are like crabs in a pot, each pulling the other down if they see one of them getting to big over the same region and the borders they share.

Last edited:

there is not iota of any proof , inclination, movement or jack to show China, India, Russia will being anything but a regional power.

There is no way the 3 will ever allow any one of the other to become a superpower. there is no challenge to us on as a global superpower

what fact based points you have to assert that US will remain the sole superpower into next 100 years ???

You are rather underestimating the power of all consuming "Time "

No one can predict future ....we can only make rough guestimates ...

But your absolute statements show your ignorance ....and the fact that you are in denial of the subtle signs that are showing up .

Remember , nobody can predict the future ....Nobody !

Given your fierce devotion to US , I would have had expected you to claim that USA will remain sole superpower for next 1000 years ....

Your claim about next 100 years doesn't make it any more believable ....so why not go for 1000 years claims ... at least it will look more dramatic and forceful !!!

Its not just about the quality of weaponry,its about the perception and power it projects on the nations of the world.Quantity has a quality of its own.In future if the chinese have 6 carriers with 2 on constant deployment and wartime upsurge of one more carrier,it sure projects a lot more power than they do now presently.2 carriers is enough to match the USN deployment in pacific and china seas as the americans seem to be interested in cutting their 10 carrier fleet to 8 to pay for expensive procurements.That means they can have 3 carriers deployed normally at most with upsurge capacity of of one or two if they are really desperate.Out of these 3 at least one will be deployed in the eastern board and who is to say the chinese will not suddenly decide to have 8 or 10 or 12 carriers in future with their expanding economy and cheap manufacturing capability?These new additions will allow the PRC to project power worldwide,especially among the lesser advanced nations of the world,say phillipines.Will these smaller nations be able to say no or resist even considering that PRC weaponry is poor copy pastes ?Would they be willing to go against a carrier force to find out how good chinese carriers are ?even with copy paste weapons the chinese change the power balance enough to make the rest of the world reconsider their options in the US vs PRC scenario,as I have presented above that matching the USN even numerically will drastically alter how the rest of the world perceives china and its power.

Currently GDP of Russia is only $2.09 Trillion and that of China is $8.3 Trillion. Still Russia is known to have much more influence across the world compared to China. So, when Chinese can't even overtake Russia right now in power projection across the world, its highly unlikely they will do with America.

what fact based points you have to assert that US will remain the sole superpower into next 100 years ???

You are rather underestimating the power of all consuming "Time "

No one can predict future ....we can only make rough guestimates ...

But your absolute statements show your ignorance ....and the fact that you are in denial of the subtle signs that are showing up .

Remember , nobody can predict the future ....Nobody !

Given your fierce devotion to US , I would have had expected you to claim that USA will remain sole superpower for next 1000 years ....

Your claim about next 100 years doesn't make it any more acceptable or believable ....so why not go for 1000 years claims ... at least it will look more dramatic and forceful !!!

Once again you are giving me zero facts to counter my factual assertions- with more psychol babble.

To be a superpower you need not just a robust economy, but you need to be a military powerhouse that has bases all over the world, a NATO like alliance ... Tell us who is going to be China's, India's, Russia's NATO?

and then as a I said the biggest guarantee of no challenge to our superpower status is Russia, India and China themselves!

" There is no way the 3( Russia, India, China) will ever allow any one of the other to become a superpower. The 3 above are like crabs in a pot, each pulling the other down if they see one of them getting too big over the same region and the borders they share."

Last edited:
Currently GDP of Russia is only $2.09 Trillion and that of China is $8.3 Trillion. Still Russia is known to have much more influence across the world compared to China. So, when Chinese can't even overtake Russia right now in power projection across the world, its highly unlikely they will do with America.

True . despite the disintegration of USSR - Russia remains a great power and surpasses China in terms of technological achievements it boasts ( largely inherited from USSR era )

however the trends of China's rise are quite compelling . This is a process and not one off incidence .

slowly and gradually China is also extending its influence across the globe .

It is only matter of time ( given the trends ) that China will be catching up with US in terms of many domains of power may it be economy, science and technology , military and so on ...

off course this race is still open ended ...

and we do not have clear cut winner ....

but nobody can doubt that China poses serious claim to US position first time since closure of cold war era ....!!!

Once again you are giving me zero facts to counter my factual assertions- with more psychol babble.

To be a superpower you need not just a robust economy, but you need to be a military powerhouse that has bases all over the world, a NATO like alliance ... Tell who is going to be China's, India's, Russia's NATO?

Congratulations for laying down criteria and guidelines to be a Superpower !!!

I am sure US administration will be happy to have you as an advisor in this matter .

I hope there are more like you in US ....so that it will actually accelerate process of erosion of US strength and its dethronement .

World will be better off with multipolar than Unipolar world with US sitting on top trampling everybody underneath !!!

Last edited:
True . despite the disintegration of USSR - Russia remains a great power and surpasses China in terms of technological achievements it boasts ( largely inherited from USSR era )

however the trends of China's rise are quite compelling . This is a process and not one off incidence .

slowly and gradually China is also extending its influence across the globe .

It is only matter of time ( given the trends ) that China will be catching up with US in terms of many domains of power may it be economy, science and technology , military and so on ...

off course this race is still open ended ...

and we do not have clear cut winner ....

but nobody can doubt that China poses serious claim to US position first time since closure of cold war era ....!!!

Congratulations for laying down criteria and guidelines to be a Superpower !!!

I am sure US administration will be happy to have you as an advisor in this matter .

I hope there are more like you in US ....so that it will actually accelerate process of erosion of US strength and its dethronement .

World will be better off with multipolar than Unipolar world with US sitting on top trampling everybody underneath !!!

It does not take a genius to know what being a superpower entails. It is not " bluster" and just " cheap talk", nor is it just economic gains of being the no1 GDP, but having over a billion mouths to feed...

You need a global NATO like alliance and Global bases that surround the US -ala real threat to the US. and with the advent of USSR's collapse PLUS " democracy" now flourishing more in that part of the world. Challenging the US as a supower power is non existent.

In fact all indications are while China rises , all its neighbours are quickly coming back into the US fold. And we have China's bluster and bullying of neighbours to thank. And also the wonderful luck of having India and Russia also vying to be a global power( china's neighbour). The importance of this I don't think you have yet to grasp. It is like built in hurdle in that region.

These are cold hard facts and does not mean we will just sit back, as evident from our Asia pacific pivot.

Why is America #1 in the world? A black man by the name of BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA is elected president. Where in another country can this happen? America is the most tolerant country in the world, with respect to ethnicity and religion. There is no other country as tolerant as America. In America, the rich take care of the poor rather than bully them like in third world countries. This is why America is #1 in the world. Not because it has the biggest economy, or the biggest military, but because it is the most humane country in the world.

There is an old saying in China, 得民心者得天下, those who can win the hearts of the people win what is under the sky.

Last edited:
Why is America #1 in the world? A black man by the name of BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA is elected president. Where in another country can this happen? America is the most tolerant country in the world, with respect to ethnicity and religion. There is no other country as tolerant as America. In America, the rich take care of the poor rather than bully them like in third world countries. This is why America is #1 in the world. Not because it has the biggest economy, or the biggest military, but because it is the most humane country in the world.

There is an old saying in China, 得民心者得天下, those who can win the hearts of the people win what is under the sky.

Hahaha... The US has the most retarded race relations and classification in the West

You mean like this ?

Just kidding :D
Fine, I will give you a link but you could have done it yourself.
Read this and weep.( And I say this with all due respect of course)
Is the Dollar Dying? Why US Currency Is in Danger
When compared to its peers, the dollar has drifted to a 15-year low, according to the International Monetary Fund

Reserve Currency Status.png

Are these facts good enough for ya ?
Because I can also put other links about the steps China has taken to float its currency if I am arsed enough.

There is no way the 3 will ever allow any one of the other to become a superpower. there is no challenge to us on a global superpower. It very basic and simple concept to understand what it takes to be a superpower to challenge the US. The 3 above are like crabs in a pot, each pulling the other down if they see one of them getting to big over the same region and the borders they share.

Haha! then why are you telling this to the crabs ?
Sorry to break your bubble but these crabs aren't ape-shit crazy.
US isolated geography is both its biggest strength and biggest weakness.
The weakness was covered by the fact that US was the only industrialized nation left standing when the dust of WW 2 settled in.

Location of China,India and Russia is more advantageous in the long term( beyond our lifetimes ) because they sit right on top of the world island.

Without derailing the thread, I suggest you read the work of Halford Mackinder, in case you aren't familiar with it.
He suggests that Americas will become peripheral to the world once everyone is developed more or less equally.

Which, btw, was true for 99 % of human history.He argues it is natural course of things.

History doesn't repeat itself,
but it rhymes

- Mark Twain

Last edited:

It is not just the Presidency:

"They believe, and I believe, that here in America, our success should depend not on accident of birth but the strength of our work ethic and the scope of our dreams. That's what drew our forebears here. It's how the daughter of a factory worker is CEO of America's largest automaker, how the son of a barkeep is speaker of the House, how the son of a single mom can be president of the greatest nation on Earth." - Obama's State of the Union Address 2014.

Russians are still ahead of China even with a smaller economy, so overtaking America's GDP won't make them a superpower. China still look towards smaller economy Russia for their technological need to copy their weapons.

You are outdated.

Do not forget, Obama is half white too. He is elected becos he will still pursue policy favour by white elite in the US congress.

Last edited:
http://www.mahbubani.net/articles by dean/When America Becomes Number Two.pdf

Kishore Mahbubani Become a fan
Dean of the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy

When America Becomes Number Two
Posted: 01/21/2014 3:36 pm EST Updated: 01/25/2014 4:01 pm EST

Kishore Mahbubani is Dean of the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy and author of "The Great Convergence: Asia, the West and the Logic of One World."
SINGAPORE -- In 2019, barely five years away, the world will pass one of its most significant historical milestones. For the first time in 200 years, a non-Western power, China, will become the number one economy in purchasing power parity (PPP) terms. America will become number two. Yes, it will take longer for China's economy to overtake America's in nominal terms but the trend line is irresistible. And in PPP terms, China's economy could be twice that of America's by 2020.
The big question for our time therefore is this: is America ready to become number two? Sadly, it is not, even though Bill Clinton wisely tried to wake up his fellow Americans as far back as 2003. In a very subtle speech at Yale, he asked whether "we should be trying to create a world with rules and partnerships and habits of behavior that we would like to live in when we're no longer the military political economic superpower in the world."
Unfortunately, Bill Clinton was too subtle. He was trying to hint to his fellow Americans that America should create a model of rules-based behavior that would then serve as a model for China when it emerged as the number one power in the world. His hint was ignored. Hence, few Americans today are aware that America's national interests change dramatically when it becomes number two in the world. When it is number one, it is in America's interests to see that the number one power has complete freedom to do whatever it wants to do. When it is number two, it is not in America's interests to see that the number one power has complete freedom to do whatever it wants to do. Catch the difference?
Why have American leaders failed to prepare the American population for this significant change of interests? There are at least three reasons. Firstly, it is political suicide for any American politician in office to speak on America as number two. As I document in The Great Convergence, no serving American politician can use the words, "If America is number two..." or "When America becomes number two..." In the land of free speech, there is no effective freedom for serving politicians to speak undeniable truths.
Secondly, most American intellectuals continue to indulge in wishful thinking. In their minds, there is a deep ideological conviction that democracy represents the future and Communism represents the past. Since China is still run by the Chinese Communist Party, it can only represent the past, not the future. Many American intellectuals also believe that since they live in the world's freest society, they cannot possibly be prisoners of any ideology. This is massive self-deception. When it comes to understanding China, Americans have allowed ideology to trump mountains of empirical data. This is why they cannot even conceive of China becoming number one.
Thirdly, and very sadly, China's emergence is taking place at a moment of great political paralysis and disunity in the American body politic. If Nixon and Kissinger were managing American foreign policy today, they would have focused on the most critical challenge that America faces and found ingenious ways and means of implementing the wise advice that Bill Clinton offered in 2003 and prepared for a new geopolitical environment. The days of wise foreign policy management are long gone in Washington, DC. Furthermore, with Washington, DC being completely divided and polarized, the challenge of dealing with becoming number two is the last thing on the minds of American policymakers.
Sadly, the last thing on the minds of American policymakers will come true in five years. Will America wake up to this new reality before or after it happens

america will never be #2
america will always stay at the top.
our government plans everything ahead 20 years into the future

Back
Top Bottom