What's new

What would have Jinnah thought of Ajmal Kasab and gang, wonders SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
There would have been no Ajmal Kassab or people like him in Pakistan if the Quaid’s’ advice to Pakistanis was followed.
Most of the problems in Pakistan arise from the fact the todays Pakistan is not the Pakistan as envisaged by the founding fathers. Forces that have Pakistan in their group are those that detest the Quaid and the Muslim League for one reason or another and are bent upon destroying Pakistan from within. Here is a good article on this subject.

Rescuing Jinnah’s dream

Aijaz Zaka Syed
Sunday, September 02, 2012

New 0 0 0

Dubai eye

What in God’s name is wrong with Pakistan? Just when you think things cannot get any worse, something more outrageous happens to stretch the limits of your sensibilities. The first country to be founded in the name of Islam has suffered the most at the hands of those championing the faith.

This week, responding to my recent piece on Assam, a Hindu friend wrote back: “Typical hypocrisy! What about Pakistan? Why are you silent on the treatment of Hindus and Christians there? What about Rimsha Masih?” The insinuation suggesting Indian Muslims are somehow accountable for Pakistan would have normally rankled me. I’ve myself been deeply saddened by the recent events in the South Asian country. Indeed, the faithful everywhere, including those in Pakistan, are repelled by the crimes being carried out in the name of their sweet faith.

What do I tell my friend? How do you defend the indefensible? How can anyone ever justify the cold blooded killing of fellow Muslims, heading home for Eid, in the blessed month of Ramazan? This, at a time when the Muslims around the world were protesting against the ethnic cleansing in Myanmar. This, at a time when Muslim leaders were meeting in the shadow of the holy Kaaba to celebrate the unity of the Ummah. The international media noted with interest how Saudi King Abdullah and Iran’s Mahmoud Ahmadinejad sat next to each other at the special OIC summit in Makkah and were often seen talking and laughing together. It was supposed to send out a message of Islamic solidarity and brotherhood to the world. It has been business as usual though in the killing fields of Syria and Somalia and Pakistan and Afghanistan. The killer clique in Damascus is determined to outdo the savagery and bestiality of the Mongol hordes a millennium ago.

If people peacefully going about their business, as those heading home to Gilgit had been, were isolated on the basis of their sect and gunned down in Pakistan, in Afghanistan our Taliban friends have added another feather to their cap by slaying a group of men and women on the way, allegedly, to a ‘mixed’ party. All this of course was ostensibly for the cause of Islam. This isn’t the first such incident of course. From bombing mosques to targeting religious processions, the game is all too familiar. Sectarian and ethnic killings have become a daily routine in Karachi, once Pakistan’s most vibrant and cosmopolitan city.

The Taliban’s swift, vigilante justice was again in the name of Shariah, just as most of their actions have been – from gunning down a defenceless woman on the suspicion of an affair to poisoning and persecution of school-going girls. What kind of Islam are we preaching to the world? Is this what the Prophet taught us? In the long history of Islam, there’s not a single incident that can be cited to justify the madness that is on the march in the name of religion today. There was a time when minorities and other vulnerable sections turned to Muslims for protection. From Salahuddin’s (Saladin the Great) intervention in Palestine putting an end to the genocide of Jews at the hands of the Crusaders to the protection of Christians and Hindus in the far corners of the Muslim empire, we have had a long history of genuine religious tolerance.

When Jerusalem fell and Sayyidna Omar visited the holy city, Patriarch Sophronius, was so moved by the conduct of the victors that he invited the great Caliph to pray inside the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. The leader of the faithful however declined, fearing it might lead to Muslim claims over the temple. Instead he chose another site to pray where Masjid-e-Omar stands today. Sindh’s Hindus literally deified Mohammed bin Qasim, the first Arab conqueror, because of his conduct.

In more recent times, millions of Jews, hunted like animals across Europe, found refuge in the Ottoman Empire. For decades Turkey was the only Muslim country that enjoyed full diplomatic and close economic-military ties with Israel. All this is part of Islam’s rich history, no matter what Orientalists like Bernard Lewis choose to believe. This is why it’s sad to see minorities increasingly insecure today in a country that was meant to be a model Muslim state. An 11-year old, illiterate rag-picker finds herself behind bars on blasphemy charges. Rimsha Masih is accused of burning the pages of Holy Quran – some say she burnt the pages of the Noorani Qaida, a beginner’s guide to the Holly Book – with other stuff on a garbage dump.

What makes this worse is the fact that Rimsha suffers from Down’s Syndrome and doesn’t always know what she’s doing. While her impoverished family and other relatives have fled their homes in Islamabad slums fearing reprisals, the ever-ready rabble rousers of various outfits have taken to the streets demanding “justice” under the anti-blasphemy law. Of course, it’s not the first time that the law is in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons. Since the British era law was reintroduced under President Ziaul Haq, there has been a rampant abuse of the law by people looking to settle personal scores. While Christians are a tempting target, more than half of those tried under the law happen to be Muslims! No wonder rights groups have been clamouring for repealing or revising the law. The problem isn’t in the law though; it’s in its abuse.

Besides, this is a symptom of a deeper malaise, not the disease itself. It’s a manifestation of the general breakdown of national institutions and the long years of abuse of power by the elites. And the first victims of the society’s decay and erosion are its most vulnerable sections.

The Hindus living in Sindh and elsewhere for centuries are leaving in droves for the comforting security of a predominantly Hindu India. It’s only understandable considering the growing cases of abductions and forced marriages of Hindu girls with Muslims who clearly think this is some kind of jihad and the shortest route to paradise. With defenders of faith like these, do Pakistan and Islam really need any more enemies? Minorities aren’t the only victims of this growing sickness. The intolerance of various Islamic sects and schools for each other has crossed all limits with everyone throwing everyone else out of Islam and lusting for their blood. Is this what Pakistan’s founding fathers had in mind when they fought for a Muslim homeland?

Jinnah’s speech to the Constituent Assembly on August 11, 1947repeatedly calls for an inclusive and pluralistic Pakistan. “Every one of you, no matter to what community he belongs, no matter what relations he had with you in the past, no matter what is his colour, caste or creed, is first, second, and last a citizen of this State with equal rights, privileges, and obligations,” emphasised the man often panned for breaking up India. “You are free; you are free to go to your temples, you are free to go to your mosques or to any other place or worship in this State of Pakistan. You may belong to any religion or caste or creed – that has nothing to do with the business of the State.”

Jinnah’s dream needs to be rescued and rediscovered. And only Pakistanis can do it. The reasonable, peace-loving majority must speak up and act against the lunatic fringe that claims to speak on their behalf before it’s too late.
The writer is a commentator on Middle East and South Asian affairs.

Email: aijaz.syed@hotmail.com
Rescuing Jinnah

nice way to start a fight, Indians on the other hand will never admit their fault & false crimes. The truth is India planted these attacks on them selves to blame Pakistan & it has been proven by Indian journalist. I have already started a thread on that.

nice way to start a fight, Indians on the other hand will never admit their fault & false crimes. The truth is India planted these attacks on them selves to blame Pakistan & it has been proven by Indian journalist. I have already started a thread on that.

That was a very funny story that you planted in that thread. What are you planning next?
About Mr.Jinnah's Pakistan, that started dissolving soon after Mr.Jinnah's funeral in an ireversible and irrevocable process.
Mr. Jinnah said:
“Every one of you, no matter to what community he belongs, no matter what relations he had with you in the past, no matter what is his colour, caste or creed, is first, second, and last a citizen of this State with equal rights, privileges and obligations. You are free; you are free to go to your temples, you are free to go to your mosques or to any other place or worship in this State of Pakistan. You may belong to any religion or caste or creed – that has nothing to do with the business of the State.”

Now how many people in Pakistan today, swear by those words? How many people will live and die for those beliefs?

Touching upon the distortions of history by the BJP in the states and under the arch-revisionist Murli Manohar Joshi at the centre, which Parvati Menon dwelt upon with such genuine passion and anguish, there seems to be a complete lack of understanding of events by Pakistani observers, if your comments are any index.

There was massive distortion. It was short-lived at the centre. The damage was rolled back the day the BJP lost power, and the general impact has been a refreshing one. There are still distortions in the states ruled by the BJP, and these are being addressed by an active coalition of administrators and concerned experts.

Except for that brief brush with the manipulations of the BJP, which lasted for less than a fifth of the period of our existence as a secular nation, there has been no systemic corruption of knowledge as has happened in Pakistan. On the other hand, even our madrases, particularly in Bengal, are linked to modern learning by the active efforts of the state, offer opportunities for further education in the secondary and tertiary levels, and are not restricted to Muslims; Hindu children are accepted and are sent to attend these, with modified courses of religious instruction,by their parents.

I have heard this canard from you many times.

Fine, can you state what exactly were the distortions that the NCERT introduced when the BJP was in power ?

All I find is people whining BJP did this, BJP did that on vague general terms and no where did I find what exactly, in specific terms were the distortions.

If people accuse BJP of saffronising history, I accuse others for trying to whitewash Indian history of any crime perperated on the native population by the invaders for the sake of political correctness guided by a anti-majority mindset and the debate can go on.

What would have Gandhi thought about BJP, RSS, Shiv Sena who rule India??

What would have Gandhi thought about RSS, Shiv Sena who rule India??

Still better than what he would have thought of MIM, IUML, PFI, NDF, AIUDF etc....:blah:

Fine, can you state what exactly were the distortions that the NCERT introduced when the BJP was in power ?

All I find is people whining BJP did this, BJP did that on vague general terms and no where did I find what exactly, in specific terms were the distortions.

If people accuse BJP of saffronising history, I accuse others for trying to whitewash Indian history of any crime perperated on the native population by the invaders for the sake of political correctness guided by a anti-majority mindset and the debate can go on.

No, I cannot state exactly what the distortions were, because I will not.

It is not for you to sit in judgement and decide whether what was injected was proper or not. It is for professional educationists.

The BJP and its adherents should be the last people to talk of 'whining', having made that tone peculiarly their own, especially in their years of impotence. That party, and its fifth columnists, the VHP, the Bajrang Dal, the whole pack, have never ceased to preach hate, from their first political moments. There is an unbroken line from its top leadership today to the convicts of the Naroda Patiya mass murder, from from your precious Advani and his rabble-rousing and fundamental damage to the fabric of Indian secularism to his precious acolyte and protege-in-residence, the killer Kodnani, who cheered on crowds to slaughter women and children, and wept for mercy when found guilty.

How do you presume to sit in judgement on these changes? Have you read history, other than the polemics of your party tracts, and their tendentious rubbish? Are you a subject matter expert? Do you have any qualification apart from access to the Internet and a keyboard?

Have you been keeping Rip van Winkle company these long years, since the self-proclaimed revisionist M. M. Joshi brought in those changes? Were you sleeping when his creature Dr. Rajput led the charge to introduce the saffron agenda into those books? Are you even aware who did these things and how they did them, that you suddenly wake up and have the impertinence to demand that you should be presented the changes to inspect them and pronounce on them?

You talk about accusing others of whitewashing Indian history. That only displays your total unfitness to participate in such subjects. Other than one book, Rajtarangini, there was no Indian history in the centuries before foreigners began writing about India. The Greeks were among the first. By that time, there were mature histories of Greece itself, annals in China and city records in Rome, to name a random sampling. Nothing in India, about India. Not one history, outside king-lists in the Puranas which were painstakingly compiled by the British, long before any of your revisionist pack started quibbling and criticizing things that they themselves never could have achieved, simply for political and social reasons.

There was no Indian history to be whitewashed. Histories began to be written in the first place by a series of annalists and external scholars. When the native genius of India failed, why whine about others who filled in the gaps?

It is ironic that you are following in the footsteps of your iconic revisionists. Being incapable of gathering evidence or doing original work, you have the temerity and the gall to sit in judgement on the work of others. You have in fact the temerity and gall to ask that they produce the work and leave it at your door step, so that you can share your valuable opinion with the rest of civilization as you know it.

Try again.

Do your own work. If you have no time, ask your closest shakha. Don't make preposterous demands and pretend that you are contributing to anything.

They don't rule India.

This sort of witless, ignorant remark does more harm than you know. Please learn some self-restraint before you launch into your next comment.

They don't rule India.

This sort of witless, ignorant remark does more harm than you know. Please learn some self-restraint before you launch into your next comment.

youre wrong again :disagree:

youre wrong again :disagree:

Yes, I am wrong.

I was silly enough to believe that someone shown in public that he was ignorant would mend his ways, and acquire discretion. I am sorry that I misjudged the depths to which you could sink. it is possible to shame someone into changing his ways only if that person has a sense of shame in the first place.

My mistake.

If I may, I will post opinions of different Indian experts in this regard. More can be referenced if you want.

http://www.frontlineonnet.com/fl1523/15230140.htm

School textbooks appear to be headed for a thorough recasting - this has been made clear by Union Human Resource Development Minister Murli Manohar Joshi on several occasions. State governments run by the Bharatiya Janata Party have already made in school syllabi several changes that reflect the crude communal bias and the generally low level of scholarship that characterise what has come to be called the Hindutva view of history. But with the BJP now leading the Government at the Centre, there is likely to be a more concerted effort at rewriting history, using government-funded establishments such as the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) and the National Council for Teacher Training (NCTE). The unexpected political opposition shown to the Union Government's attempts to reverse the existing education policy may make things less easy to effect such an overhaul, but an overhaul is very much on the cards.

SUBSTANTIAL amendments and additions that suit the RSS ideology and seek to make BJP leaders and their allies popular have been made in grammar, history and political science books for Classes IX, X, XI and XII in Rajasthan. After the May nuclear explosions at Pokhran, school textbooks have been revised to justify the blasts as well as serve the function of indoctrination on the benefits that have allegedly flowed from the event.

Writings of RSS ideologues on subjects ranging from matters of science to ruminations over the loss of the Sindhu (Indus) river to the "other side" have been given substantial importance in school texts. In one of the texts, "A New Collection of Poems and Literary Writings" (Nutan Gadya Padya Sangraha - the original title in Hindi), prescribed for Class IX, there are, among others, four articles, one each by Prof. Rajendra Singh (Rajju Bhaiya), RSS chief; Tarun Vijay, editor of the RSS weekly Panchajanya; K.C. Sudarshan, also an RSS ideologue; and Dr. Jalamsingh Ravlot of the Swadeshi Jagran Manch. All four articles were added this year.

While Rajendra Singh waxes eloquent on ancient Indian science and scientists, Tarun Vijay laments over the loss of the Indus and wonders why it does not flow in Bharat like the other rivers. Sudarshan advocates the adoption of an ancient, traditional approach in dealing with problems of modernity and blames the West for all ecological problems. What is significant here is that while the authors reminisce about the virtues of ancient India, they also promote contemporary BJP leaders.

In the exercise section of the chapter, there are some seemingly innocuous questions posed to students: "How did the Sindhu get separated from us?'' or "Where does the rest of the river lie now?" or "Apart from the author, who were the other important persons and leaders who went on the Sindhu Darshan and what feelings did they express?"

In a textbook for Class XI, titled Political Science - An Introduction and Indian Political Thinkers, a chapter on Deen Dayal Upadhyay has been added. This 1998-99 edition describes him as a person who had deep respect for "ancient and highly sophisticated culture of India", who envisaged an "ideal Dharmarajya" and who was upset that "while designing the Indian Constitution, the natural and national values had been ignored." The 20-page section highlights his belief in "Akhand Bharat" which was all for dissolving the 1947 Partition and cites the occasion in April 1964 when he along with Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia conceived of a "Mahasangh" in which India and the partitioned countries (Pakistan and Bangladesh) would be included.

Dr. Rajeev Gupta, Associate Professor of Sociology, Rajasthan University, who is also president of the Janwadi Lekhakh Sangh, told Frontline that these additions and changes would be a political issue in the November 25 Assembly elections. He said that an entire generation was being communalised as subtle changes suiting the right-wing ideology of the BJP had been introduced right from the primary education stage through higher education. "Students carry forward a set of communal biases until the post-graduate stage. These kind of interpretations make no positive and qualitative change in their conservative mind-sets," said. Gupta.

Gupta said that the objection was against the projection of one ideological dimension - the right-wing one. "Only those who support the BJP-RSS brand of cultural nationalism directly or indirectly are now being encouraged to write textbooks," he said.

You talkin' about Gandhi?? If you mean him, he is just a picture on some walls, on currency notes, postage stamps, some coins in the past and we also call him 'father of the Nation'. That is all, apart from the fact that he got written about in history books.

Somewhere along the way, we discovered that we do not need just Gandhi to run everything in our country; not our industry for example.

But most of all we discovered that some of the values that he and his contemporaries propounded had got very well enunciated and enshrined in the instruments of our system e.g. the Indian Constitution.

And that is what mattered and what we needed, not Gandhi's name. A working Constitutional system, where Government did only its role, the Judiciary that did only its role, Armed Forces that did only its role, a Press that only did its role and a Political system that could be kept on a leash when needed :)

So we found that all that mattered more than Gandhi. Which, BTW even Gandhi was trying to tell us, just that we had to find out for ourselves.

So in a sense, we have gone beyond Gandhi. And remember him occasionally, on a few days.
BTW, Gandhi was not our only founding father. We had many others too though for (some odd reason) we chose not elevate them to fatherhood (of the Nation that is!!).
But we got things to work, with hiccups and fits and starts, but things have certainly been on the "up" since Gandhi et.al.
And we do not have any existential issues or identity riddles in the problems that we are dealing with.

Now tell me about your side, of the fence so to speak. What have you realised? :)

:)
Perhaps the same!!

And yes, i was answering to the title of the thread, to the theme of the thread!!

ONE cannot make the entire nation follow one Leader! There will always be differences, Things will always go Rouge..
instead of playing blame games, isn't it better to fix our system?

Thats the point,
the title is just to fuel a Troll War, NOTHING more! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom