What's new

What percentage Bangladeshi's support Syrian fight for freedom against Asad

1. Though I disagree with you, I appreciate you are at least consistent between Bahrain and Syria
2. Afghanistan was once a prosperous country.

Syrians are not Taliban, there is a big difference in their HDI:
111102-hdi-map.png

Just because West/Israel support a cause, it does not automatically make it bad for Muslims of the world. China/Russia is mistaken on this issue, as they are going against the will of the majority people.

I support Bahrain's democracy protest and do not support the crackdown. if the opposition starts an armed struggle to topple the regime and the regime starts killing them like Asad, my wholehearted support will be with the oppressed people there, not the regime.

i cant bold the part as i m on phone but you'll get what i am replying too

afghanistan was also a afghan only movement or was it......later it was home of every tom dick and herry jihadi..... the suicide bombing shows how deep such ideoligy is in the rank of the rebels ....only someone with experience in such tactics can pull such job....killing defence minister.....when assad govt will fall fsa wont be able to fill all the gaps and those will be used by terrorists groups who are supporting and waiting for that moment.....the very same events....and i worry because we know the side effects as we aee victim of them.....

Please look at the HDI map in above post. Did you have the opportunity to meet any Syrians? I have. Syrians are a well exposed sophisticated people, very much unlike Afghans, who I admire, but they are uneducated and easy to manipulate, which is how they got into this Taliban mess.

If anyone says Syria will be Taliban, all I can say is never. It is like saying Iraq or Egypt will be Taliban. Note that the HDI level of Syria is similar to Iraq, Egypt, South Africa, Vietnam and Indonesia. Proximity to Turkey is another factor. Muslim brotherhood in Syria will follow AKP much more than even Egypt and Turkey will take them under their wings, as soon as Asad is toppled and there is a stable democratic govt.

1. Though I disagree with you, I appreciate you are at least consistent between Bahrain and Syria
2. Afghanistan was once a prosperous country.

I know Afghanistan was a liberal country, it was getting more influenced by Soviets in the 70's, but they made the mistake of invading with their army and stepped into a trap set by the US. Essentially Afghanistan was a geopolitical football that got used by the US, using extremist ideology to beat up on the Soviet cold war rival, in the process both Afghanistan and Pakistan got screwed. Which then in turn gave rise to Al Qaeda safe haven, 9/11, the GWOT in last decade and the situation still continues. Obama was an idiot to do his surge and he should get outta there ASAP. Any time you bring in "white men" in a brown or black neighbor hood, they do indiscriminate shooting and killings, such is the nature of things, here in the US and the world over.

Syrian geography and neighborhood is different than Afghanistan. With Asad gone, Syria will become a part of greater GCC under US/West/Nato block economically integrated with Turkey as the main industrial base in that region.

I have 1000 friends in my facebook friend list! Only Islamists have posted about syria and they were all against Assad! Yeah we don't support Assad but one of my friends who is a huge supporter of Ahmadinezad believes its all western conspiracy!
Meanwhile in syria For Caliphate

Please look at the HDI map in above post. Did you have the opportunity to meet any Syrians? I have. Syrians are a well exposed sophisticated people, very much unlike Afghans, who I admire, but they are uneducated and easy to manipulate, which is how they got into this Taliban mess.

If anyone says Syria will be Taliban, all I can say is never. It is like saying Iraq or Egypt will be Taliban. Note that the HDI level of Syria is similar to Iraq, Egypt, South Africa, Vietnam and Indonesia. Proximity to Turkey is another factor. Muslim brotherhood in Syria will follow AKP much more than even Egypt and Turkey will take them under their wings, as soon as Asad is toppled and there is a stable democratic govt.

Well the one here dont seem to support Rebels but anyway........

No i haven't met any syrian as in real life ( the life outside defence.pk). I am sure syrians are well sophisticated people but possibility that terrorist will use syria as next afghanistan exist..... How many afghan wanted to invade US with bombing in WTC and other places such as embassies..... But the one in power did execute those operations....A common sophisticated syrian wont have a say in what will the few people be doing in the power..... As i said a bombing of such high level cannot be done by a conventional force (such as commander of FSA ) ....It surely got some help from other sources and those sources will want a payment for their services in someway in future....BTW whats your take on suicide bombing.....Do you condemn it or appreciate such acts ???

Also I do understand NATO and west wanting a ' Democratic' Govt (again for a state with possible oil reserve) but i dont understand SA and AE both effectively dictatorship...... Seems like more of a sectarian battle than a battle for freedom and democracy.

I have 1000 friends in my facebook friend list! Only Islamists have posted about syria and they were all against Assad! Yeah we don't support Assad but one of my friends who is a huge supporter of Ahmadinezad believes its all western conspiracy!
Meanwhile in syria For Caliphate

Its a sectarian issue because Sunni Syrians have no say in the government led by minority Alawites.

Well the one here dont seem to support Rebels but anyway........

No i haven't met any syrian as in real life ( the life outside defence.pk). I am sure syrians are well sophisticated people but possibility that terrorist will use syria as next afghanistan exist..... How many afghan wanted to invade US with bombing in WTC and other places such as embassies..... But the one in power did execute those operations....A common sophisticated syrian wont have a say in what will the few people be doing in the power..... As i said a bombing of such high level cannot be done by a conventional force (such as commander of FSA ) ....It surely got some help from other sources and those sources will want a payment for their services in someway in future....BTW whats your take on suicide bombing.....Do you condemn it or appreciate such acts ???

Also I do understand NATO and west wanting a ' Democratic' Govt (again for a state with possible oil reserve) but i dont understand SA and AE both effectively dictatorship...... Seems like more of a sectarian battle than a battle for freedom and democracy.

Actually Taliban head of state Mullah Omar never agreed to 9/11. But he did give safe haven to OBL who allegedly provided logistical support to KSM who planned it and the actual job was done by the Hamburg cell. This is the official US version which is also most widely accepted. The world has changed much since back then, Muslims have understood how these senseless violence have and is causing them grief and hampering their cause. So even if some crazy volunteers go in there, the Syrian's are not going to let these people have any say in their affairs once the fighting stops.

I condemn suicide bombing to kill and terrorize non-combatant civilians, but if it is used as a war tactic to kill combatants, like this recent bombing to kill Syria's top Army and security officials, then it is permissible afaik. But it should be avoided as there is too much stigma of "Islamic terror" attached to "suicide bombing".

KSA and other GCC states are helping Syrian rebels both for humanitarian and strategic reasons. The humanitarian part is well understood and accepted by almost everyone. The strategic part is controversial, as it relates to Shia-Sunni or Iran-GCC rivalry. Personally I think this region can be stabilized under a greater GCC, with KSA in the lead, while Turkey is an industrial and economic partner. Iran can help and empower their Shia brothers in the region, but these Shia communities should not be used to stoke sectarian conflicts, which is fitna or division within the Muslim world and its against interest of all Muslims. For the region to stabilize and have peace, one group needs to come out as a majority and dominate politically. That group happens to be Sunni Muslims for greater GCC (or GCC+ as I like to call it). Sunni majority however need to ensure political and human rights for Shia population and they should understand if Iran wants to help their fellow Shia brothers, as long as this help is not about encouraging armed or political conflicts.

With all my due respect to everybody, Syrians only and only Syrians decide their fate, and we have decided that already and now we are at war against terrorism supported by the west and the GCC. If just one quarter of the population rose against Alasad, Alasad wouldn't last a minute in office, Alasad still has the Syrian people support, and trust me nothing can overcome the people's power, not even tanks and missiles can, if the people all rise up, nothing can stop them. Syrians know better and know whats best for Syria.
My question is instead of supporting one side, why don't you people support peace? why don't you support dialogue like Russia, China and Iran support, these three countries are the ones looking for peace, the dialogue is the solution. the west doesn't care at all, they even love it to see Syrian blood, it's their goal to destroy the last Arab strong hold and resistance against Zionism, if USA is really about democracy and stuff, then it should support democracy, how? democracy is dialogue. The Syrian government tried many times to have dialogue with the opposition, but those puppets refused, Even secretary of the state of U.S told the opposition to not drop its weapons, they said keep fighting, why? why not peaceful solution. again, SYRIANS ONLY AND ONLY SYRIANS DECIDE.

Syrians Rally - YouTube

The Zionists also call for dialogue while killing palestinians. Eh something similar right?

@kobiraaz, how would you like if there is a group fighting you? wouldn't you fight back?

What im saying is, the opposition drop their guns, and come sit at a table, then the Syrian government has no excuse to kill anyone right? if the opposition really wanted peace, then they would have listened to the Syrian people, not the west.

I guess it's too late,20k people already been killed.
so no hope for assad unless he uses wmd and wipe out all.

Actually Taliban head of state Mullah Omar never agreed to 9/11. But he did give safe haven to OBL who allegedly provided logistical support to KSM who planned it and the actual job was done by the Hamburg cell. This is the official US version which is also most widely accepted. The world has changed much since back then, Muslims have understood how these senseless violence have and is causing them grief and hampering their cause. So even if some crazy volunteers go in there, the Syrian's are not going to let these people have any say in their affairs once the fighting stops.

I condemn suicide bombing to kill and terrorize non-combatant civilians, but if it is used as a war tactic to kill combatants, like this recent bombing to kill Syria's top Army and security officials, then it is permissible afaik. But it should be avoided as there is too much stigma of "Islamic terror" attached to "suicide bombing".

KSA and other GCC states are helping Syrian rebels both for humanitarian and strategic reasons. The humanitarian part is well understood and accepted by almost everyone. The strategic part is controversial, as it relates to Shia-Sunni or Iran-GCC rivalry. Personally I think this region can be stabilized under a greater GCC, with KSA in the lead, while Turkey is an industrial and economic partner. Iran can help and empower their Shia brothers in the region, but these Shia communities should not be used to stoke sectarian conflicts, which is fitna or division within the Muslim world and its against interest of all Muslims. For the region to stabilize and have peace, one group needs to come out as a majority and dominate politically. That group happens to be Sunni Muslims for greater GCC (or GCC+ as I like to call it). Sunni majority however need to ensure political and human rights for Shia population and they should understand if Iran wants to help their fellow Shia brothers, as long as this help is not about encouraging armed or political conflicts.

No one would have ever thought that Mujahideen would shelter killers of innocents as they were the heroes....... But lets drop it..I'll keep saying there is possibility of that happening and you'll keep refusing and we'll be running around in circles and i really dont want to do that when I am fasting.

I would agree on KSA is helping only for strategic purpose ... There is nothing like ' Humanitarian' in KSA .... You wrote shia communities should not be used to stroke sectarian conflicts but how will you ensure that when other countries involved are totally biased and we know there support is only because of the sunni/shia reason, I even worry how will you protect those minorities after the war... We will see many war crimes after this war will be over.... Just like Libya but no one will raise any questions because those war crimes will be constituted as for "good reasons" just as the suicide bombing was a permissible war tactic....

No one would have ever thought that Mujahideen would shelter killers of innocents as they were the heroes....... But lets drop it..I'll keep saying there is possibility of that happening and you'll keep refusing and we'll be running around in circles and i really dont want to do that when I am fasting.

I would agree on KSA is helping only for strategic purpose ... There is nothing like ' Humanitarian' in KSA .... You wrote shia communities should not be used to stroke sectarian conflicts but how will you ensure that when other countries involved are totally biased and we know there support is only because of the sunni/shia reason, I even worry how will you protect those minorities after the war... We will see many war crimes after this war will be over.... Just like Libya but no one will raise any questions because those war crimes will be constituted as for "good reasons" just as the suicide bombing was a permissible war tactic....

Its not just Shia-Sunni, being a minority in any country is hard, one has to eat the humble pie and keep head down, in order to survive, appeal to good sense of the majority and of the world and wait with patience for better days. If a minority threaten the majority and abuse them, then they risk getting annihilated, that is the nature of things in this cruel world.

Syrian blood etches a new line in the sand

Pepe Escobar

Once upon a time, early in the previous century, a line in the sand was drawn, from Acre to Kirkuk. Two colonial powers - Britain and France - nonchalantly divided the Middle East between themselves; everything north of the line in the sand was France's; south, it was Britain's.

Many blowbacks - and concentric tragedies - later, a new line in the sand is being drawn by Saudi Arabia and Qatar. Between Syria and Iraq, they want it all. Talk about the return of the repressed; now, as part of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization-Gulf Cooperation Council compound, they're in bed with their former colonial masters.

Blow by blow
No matter what militarized Western corporate media spins, there's no endgame in Syria - yet. On the contrary; the sectarian game is just beginning.

It's 1980s Afghanistan all over again. The over 100 heavily armed gangs engaged in civil war in Syria are overflowing with Gulf Cooperation Council funds financing their Russian RPGs bought on the black market. Salafi-jihadis cross into Syria in droves - not only from Iraq but also Kuwait, Algeria, Tunisia and Pakistan, following enraged calls by their imams. Kidnapping, raping and slaughtering pro-Assad regime civilians is becoming the law of the land.

They go after Christians with a vengeance. [1] They force Iraqi exiles in Damascus to leave, especially those settled in Sayyida Zainab, the predominantly Shi'ite neighborhood named after Prophet Muhammad's grand-daughter, buried in the beautiful local mosque. The BBC, to its credit, at least followed the story. [2]

They perform summary executions; Iraq's deputy interior minister Adnan al-Assadi told AFP how Iraqi border guards saw the Free Syrian Army (FSA) take control of a border outpost and then "executed 22 Syrian soldiers in front of the eyes of Iraqi soldiers".

The Bab al-Hawa crossing between Syria and Turkey was overrun by no less than 150 multinational self-described mujahideen [3] - coming from Algeria, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates, Chechnya and even France, many proclaiming their allegiance to Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM).

They burned a lot of Turkish trucks. They shot their own promo video. They paraded their al-Qaeda flag. And they declared the whole border area an Islamic state.

Hand over your terrorist ID
There's no way to understand the Syrian dynamics without learning that most FSA commanders are not Syrians, but Iraqi Sunnis. The FSA could only capture the Abu Kamal border crossing between Syria and Iraq because the whole area is controlled by Sunni tribes viscerally antagonistic towards the al-Maliki government in Baghdad. The free flow of mujahideen, hardcore jihadis and weapons between Iraq and Syria is now more than established.

The idea of the Arab League - behaving as NATO-GCC's fully robed spokesman - offering exile to Bashar al-Assad may be as ridiculous as the notion of the CIA supervising which mujahideen and jihadi outfits may have access to the weapons financed by Qatar and the Saudis.

At first, it might have been just a bad joke. After all, the exile offer came from those exact same paragons of democracy, the House of Saud and Qatar, who control the Arab League and are financing the mujahideen and the anti-Syria jihad.

Baghdad, though, publicly condemned the exile offer. And the aftermath - in fact on the same day - was worthy of The Joker (yes, Batman's foe); a wave of anti-Shi'ite bombings in Iraq, with over 100 people dead, duly claimed by the Islamic State of Iraq, al-Qaeda's local franchise. Spokesman Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi energetically urged the Sunni tribes in Anbar and Nineveh to join the jihad and topple the "infidel" government in Baghdad.

The mujahideen/jihadi back and forth between Syria and Iraq has been more than confirmed by Izzat al-Shahbandar, a senior member of Iraq's Parliament and close aide to Prime Minister al-Maliki. Baghdad even has updated lists. The crossover could only spawn more frenetic Orwellian newspeak, nailed by the website Moon of Alabama. [4]

Mujahideen and jihadis active in Iraq are now "Iraqi insurgents". And mujahideen and jihadis active in Syria remain the usual "Syrian rebels". They have been all decommissioned as "terrorists". Under this logic, the Colorado Batman shooter may also be described as an "insurgent".

Follow the money

As it stands, the romanticized Syrian "rebels" plus the insurgents formerly known as terrorists cannot win against the Syria military - not even with the Saudis and Qataris showering them with loads of cash and weapons.

Nor is there any evidence the regime is contemplating a retreat to the Alawite mountains in northern Syria, as evoked by this collective foreign policy blog discussion. After all the "rebels" do not control any territory.

What's certain is who would profit from Syria being progressively balkanized. The House of Saud and Qatar would love nothing better than to have the civil war exported to Iraq and Lebanon; in their very narrow calculations, that would eventually yield fellow Sunni regimes.

So expect Saudi and Qatari funds buying every well-connected Syrian regime apparatchik in sight - even while the urban Sunni bourgeosie still has not abandoned the ship.

And as the civil war spreads out, a tsunami of weapons will keep inundating Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq and of course Turkey, boosting assorted guerrilla outfits, Kurdish included - yet one more facet of now ostracized neo-Ottoman Turkey impotently watching nation states carved out of that 1920s colonial line in the sand being smashed.

Strategically, this will always be a war by proxy; essentially Saudi Arabia vs Iran - with the House of Saud behind hardcore Islamists of all colors compared to Qatar supporting "its" Muslim Brotherhood. But most of all this is the US-NATO-GCC vs Iran.

Israel's motives go way beyond the Saudi/Qatari sectarian lust. Israel's Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu has just excavated a Bushism - calling Iran-Syria-Hezbollah an "axis of evil". What Tel Aviv wants in the long run is clear; for Washington, Obama administration or not, to bring down the axis.

Meanwhile, this long-term goal does not prevent Defense Minister Ehud Barak from getting crazy - speculating on an invasion of Syria based on a hypothetical transfer of Syrian anti-aircraft missiles or even chemical weapons to Hezbollah.

Washington for its part would love at least a pliable/puppet Sunni regime in Damascus to turbo-charge the encircling of Iran - without increasing Israel's substantial fears. Meanwhile, what passes for "smart power" is no more than glorified wishful thinking. Here in detail is how pro-Israel functionaries in the US are designing post-Assad Syria. [5]

Meet the new Bane

For all its production values, NATO's jihad - in conjunction with al-Qaeda affiliates and copycats - still has not delivered regime change. UN Security Council sanctions won't be forthcoming, as Beijing and Moscow have already stressed three times. So Plan Bs keep surfacing all the time. The latest is straight from the Iraq playbook; Damascus will attack civilians with chemical weapons. This lasted only for a few news cycles.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has already made it clear; regime change is anathema, especially for a reason that eludes most in the West - jihadis at the gates of Damascus means they are a stone's throw from the Caucasus, the possible new pearl in a lethal collar bound to destabilize Muslim Russia.

Blowback meanwhile is ready to strike like the Medusa. What is for all practical purposes NATO-GCC mujahideen/jihadi death squads will be more than happy to bleed Syria across sectarian lines - in the sand and especially in urban areas. It's hunting season now, not only for Alawites but also Christians (10% of the population).

A foreign policy that privileges Sunni jihadis formerly known as terrorists to create a "democratic" state in the Middle East seems to have been conjured by Bane - the Hannibal Lecter meets Darth Vader bad guy in The Dark Knight Rises, the final chapter of the Batman trilogy. And yes, we are his creators. While the best lack all conviction, and the worst are full of passionate intensity, a masked Sunni jihadi superman is slouching towards Damascus to be born.

Asia Times Online :: Syrian blood etches a new line in the sand

With due respect idune Bhai, lets agree to disagree on some foreign policy issue. Pepe Escobar is not one of the most credible journalist:

Pepe Escobar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pepe Escobar (born 1954) is a journalist based in São Paulo, Brazil. He writes a column entitled The Roving Eye for Asia Times Online and is analyst and correspondent for The Real News Network. His article, 'Get Osama! Now! Or else...', was published by Asia Times Online two weeks before the terrorist attacks of 11 September 2001; in it, he claimed that Al Qaeda was in tatters.[1]

Asia Times: THE ROVING EYE : Rental Cars and Airline Tickets

His organization, the Al Qa'Ida, is split, and in tatters. The Taliban owe him a lot for his past deeds towards the movement and in putting them in power in Afghanistan - contributing with a stack of his own personal fortune of millions of dollars. But no longer an asset, he has become a liability.

You support Asad it seems, but I have an intense dislike of this human being. Anyone who has wanton disregard for the lives of fellow human beings, I want them removed from power and decision making, regardless of ideology and strategic considerations.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom