What's new

What makes a great nation?

Thomas

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Someone in another thread talked about how they want to see China become a great nation with the addition of many aircraft carriers. I was reminded that it takes a lot more then just Military power to make a great nation. So the question is what is the definition of a great nation? and does China meet that criteria?

A great nation is one that agrees with you own nation 95% of the time, rarely criticizes you in public and provides military assistance and support whenever you need it........

Oh, and also, a great nation is one that shares the cultural and human values of your own nation.

Failing the above, the other nation is worthless, misguided or, perhaps, a great pain in the a$$.

no, china now still is not a great country...note that in my past posts i never used nation or national to describe things related to china or china herself...keep in mind that the current nation concept was invented by western powers and being forcefully imposed on the rest of the world and call this process as modernization while creating the differences and hatred between the people who never despised each other based on so called nationality.....nations with borders divide the heart of people and incur wars for borderlines while the western nations selling weapons and become reconcilers to rob the greatest possible interests from poverty strickened weak new nations......never consider the nationality of yours carry much honor to you and make you great and noble nation, those people of old colonial imperialisms....

CHINA WILL BECOME ECONOMIC,MILITARY,CULTURALLY,SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCED IN NEXT TWENTY YEARS WITH THIS PACE OF ECONOMIC GROWTH OF DEFINITELY ABOVE AND AROUND EIGHT PERCENT...IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME USA WILL BE SURPASSED AND THE OLD VALUES OF ORIENTAL WORLD WOULD REAPPEAR WHILE THAT OF OCCIDENT DECLINING.....DONT FORGET WHO WAS RULING HALF OF THE GLOBE FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS BEFORE THE WESTERN IMPERIALISMS CAME FOR LANDS AND RESOURCES.....FOR CHINA CASE, IT FALLS IN THE HIGH LEVEL EQUILIBRIUM TRAP(GOOGLE IT) SO NO TECH IMPROVEMENT WHILE INDIA FALLS IN ITS HYPERDAMNED CASTE SYSTEM MADE THIS TWO ANCIENT CIVILIZATIONS WERE EASILY VULNERABLE TO INVADERS FROM THE WESTERN IMPERIALISMS, INCLUDING USA WHICH IS NOW USING THE WEALLTH ROBBED DURING INVASION AND COLONIZATION FROM THE ORIENTAL TO DOMINATE WORLD FINANCIAL SYSTEM, BUT NOW THE KARMA IS TAKING EFFECTS....

NOW THE OCCIDENT IS TOO STRONG AND SHINING THAT THE ******** WITHIN THE ORIENTAL IS BEING OVERSHADOWED....WAIT AND SEE THEN, SYMPTONS OF CURRENT WORLD DOMINATED BY THE WEST WILL GRADUALLY SHOW ITS REAL ILL SPOTS....LOL, FEWS AIRCRAFTS CARRIERS CANT MAKE CHINA A REAL RESPECTABLE POWER, WHO TOLD YOU THAT ALREADY AND YOU TRULY OBSESSED WITH THE STATEMENT AND SPECIALLY OPENED THIS SILLY THREAD FOR RESPONDING SILLY TO THE QUESTION??? IT IS YOU WHO ARE SIMPLE AND SHALLOW TO BE OBSESSED WITH THIS KINDA QUESTION, NO WONDER USA IS NOW TRAPPING ITSELF IN AFGHANISTAN THANKS TO YOUR BRILLIANT COMMANDERS AND STRATEGISTS THINKING LIKE YOUR STYLE....

A great nation is one that agrees with you own nation 95% of the time, rarely criticizes you in public and provides military assistance and support whenever you need it........

Oh, and also, a great nation is one that shares the cultural and human values of your own nation.

Failing the above, the other nation is worthless, misguided or, perhaps, a great pain in the a$$.

WELL, WHAT YOU SAID IS TRUE BUT THE FEASIBLE THINGS SPOKEN BY YOUR MOUTH STILL CANNOT BE IMPLEMENTED IN CHINA NOW DUE TO CURRENTLY TOO MANY PRO USA PEOPLE IN CHINA....ONCE CHINA PERFORMS THE REFORMS TOWARDS USA-LIKE QUICKLY SHE WOULD JUST END UP LIKE SOVIET AS HEART OF PEOPLE CANNOT BEAR WITH THE TOO DRASTIC CHANGE, THE COUNTRY FALLS DISINTEGRATED AS YOU SO CALLED GENTLEMEN FOR DEMOCRACY WOULD SURELY LIKE TO SEE, AM I RIGHT??? WHILE YOU ARE TALKING HERE YOU JUST WANT TO REPEAT SOVIET DISINTEGRATION STORY BY GIVING SO CALLED FREE PUBLIC OPINION PRESSURES INSTEAD OF SEEING CHINA ACTUALLY CHANGING FOR BETTER GRADUALLY....CAN YOU TELL ME THAT DRASTIC CHANGE LIKE RUSSIA REALLY BRINGS FORTUNE TO THE NATION AND MASSIVE PEOPLE DAILY LIFES???, WHAT YOU THINK MY DEAR GENTLMEN FOR QUALITY LIFESTYLE???????

In my opinion, a great nation is a nation that takes care of its poor, unemployed, widows, and orphans; a nation that is run through democracy, and that defends itself from both, the cultural as well as military invasions; a nation that is tolerant yet disciplined and believes in high moral and humanitarian values.

Does such a nation exist???

In my opinion, a great nation is a nation that takes care of its poor, unemployed, widows, and orphans; a nation that is run through democracy, and that defends itself from both, the cultural as well as military invasions; a nation that is tolerant yet disciplined and believes in high moral and humanitarian values.

Does such a nation exist???

The Scandinavian nations (Norway, Sweden and Finland) come closest to your ideal. I am not sure they would pass your test for "high moral values". What do you think about that?

Expect The Best and Prepare for the Worst : Quaid e Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah( Founder of Pakistan)

by that definition though the Soviet Union was a great nation for agreeing with and militarily supporting North Korea. And there is a difference in being a super power and being a great nation. you do not need to be a super power to be a great nation. As well as you can be a super power and not be a great nation. Military might is not what makes one great.

by that definition though the Soviet Union was a great nation for agreeing with and militarily supporting North Korea. And there is a difference in being a super power and being a great nation. you do not need to be a super power to be a great nation. As well as you can be a super power and not be a great nation. Military might is not what makes one great.

Thomas,
The point of my reply to your thread starter was merely that the question is hopelessly subjective. This thread will quickly devolve into USA bashing or an argument between Indians and Pakistanis over which of their nations is the greater ......

The Scandinavian nations (Norway, Sweden and Finland) come closest to your ideal. I am not sure they would pass your test for "high moral values". What do you think about that?
Yes, as a Muslim I value certain moral values (I believe practicing Jews and Christians have similar high moral values) and the Scandinavian nations do not meet that criteria which is not mine but of the Almighty. Other than that, yes, they come closest to my ideal.

Ironically (for the values they were gifted) if I were to list the nations based on my criteria, all the Muslim countries or nations if you will would sit in the bottom most of the list.

YO, KEEP THIS THREAD HOT MAN WITH ANY USA STYLE ARGUMENT YOU CAN PROVIDE TO ATTRACT OTHER PEOPLE SPITTING FIRE WITH YOU......DONT LET IT COOL DOWN BEFORE I COME BACK HERE TOMORROW, HERE IN MALAYSIA IS ALMOST DAWN , I HAVE TO TAKE A SLEEP NOW....

SIMPLY NO COUNTRY IN THIS WORLD IS IN OUR IDEAL IMAGINATION CURRENTLY OK??? AND NO ONE POINTS OUT AND COMMENT ON MY FEEDBACK???

YO, KEEP THIS THREAD HOT MAN WITH ANY USA STYLE ARGUMENT YOU CAN PROVIDE TO ATTRACT OTHER PEOPLE SPITTING FIRE WITH YOU......DONT LET IT COOL DOWN BEFORE I COME BACK HERE TOMORROW, HERE IN MALAYSIA IS ALMOST DAWN , I HAVE TO TAKE A SLEEP NOW....

Poor, poor little ringgit maker has to go beddie-bye! Nighty-nite!

Canada comes closest. Scandanavian countries, not a chance. They do not tolerate other cultures as well as Canada does. Sweden, Denmark, etc. may be terrific countries to live in for Scandinavian folks, but not for the every earthling. There, Democracy is conformism, not the right to be different.

Of course, Canada has its problems too. Most problems found in almost every society exist here as well; racism, religious discrimination, inequality, poverty, homelessness, unemployment, etc. However, the scale is much smaller. Compared to the US, UK, Asutralia etc. Canada is heaven for immigrants. However, not all of Canada can be judged the same way. I can only speak of Ontario, and there too, mainly the Greater Toronto Area.

Unfortunately, Canada has always struggled to maintain an identity. In the old days, after colonialism ended, we were still an extension of the British Empire. Anglo-Canadians pledged allegiance to the Kings and Queens of England, and were even dragged into wars they had no business being in. Today, it's the same, but the country of association is the United States.

Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau said this in his visit to the United States in 1969:

"Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt."

Hence, if your definition of a "great nation" revolves around a nation with its own identity, its own culture and a spine, then Canada will not be top on your list. For that, look to countries like Japan. In fact, I would say, if we forget multiculturalism and tolerance, Japan would top the list. If I could model Pakistan after one country, it wouldn't be any European pr North American nation. It would be Japan. Strong, resilient, hard working, humble, charismatic and masterful diplomats.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom