What's new

What led to the failure of project Azm?

Some of you here really are completely deluded. Pakistan is not in the same conversation as India or Turkey. Turkey actually has an extensive history of developing aircraft subcomponents whether its composite parts for Airbus or building subcomponents for GE. It License produces the F110 engine in Turkey for the F-16. It was part of the F-35 program, building out parts for the body of the aircraft(as part of a global supply chain) which were then transferred to the US for assembly. It builds its own air to air missiles, its own AESA radar, and avionics. WTF has Pakistan built on its own with regards to aerospace? Do you have your own engine development project? no. Do you have your own radar development project? no. EOTS sensors? no. and sort of avionics development like litening PODS? no. Did Pakistan build its own air to air missiles? no. Then WTF did you actually build on your own without the Chinese? 50-50 partnership my ***. I don't mean to disrespect the country, btw, but some of you people here on the thread trying to make it seem like the JF-17 partnership project was like some Eurofighter or Tornado partnership development the way the UK and Germany build those platforms is comical.

Like do you people look in the mirror at all? Pakistan is broke, the most it does license produce Chinese weapons. It neither has the technological capacity nor the money to build projects of this nature. Its GDP is lower than Israel's, hell its lower than Bangladesh's GDP, lol, get a grip. Understand your own shortcomings and weaknesses.

This sort of stuff about building 5th gen fighters, or really a capability to build any 4th gen fighter, is about as deluded as those dumb Indians talking about SUPA POWAR 2020 which they can't seem to build enough toilets to shit in.

In case you haven't noticed, your rant is exactly what others are saying in this thread, including me. By the way, your little speech about Turkey, can you specify exactly what it designed and developed for the Viper or the F-35? For the umpteenth time, license production is not the same as designing and developing, something which you're keen to point out about Pakistan but seem to forget about Turkey and india. Yes, yes, I know on a relative scale Pakistan is far far behind both of those, but Turkey nor india can design and develop a modern high performance engine, for example.

Not sure if you can box Pakistan's current state with Turkey or even India (although turkey is much, much further ahead of India).

but here are your own words:

the difference here - being pointed out to you (and you already know this as well - as evidenced by your own words above) is that:
- PAC and Pakistan should did not get involved in JF-17 with China (and since you brought turkey/India, comparing to India's involvement in development work)
- this has not created much of a base for taking any learnings further - at best you can figure out better operations management of a production line (unless PAC has some serious joint development efforts under its belt)

- Turkey is pretty far ahead of India so not even comparing that here

all need assistance maybe - but how much assistance do each of these countries need (given that you were comparing the 3 countries) - Pakistan is certainly in need of more assistance.

the good news, however is that you have one country that can seriously help you out (china) while that amount of support isnt available to either turkey and much less to India

the not so good news is, Pakistan needs to invest a lot more time and effort to gain the expertise

Yes, exactly, like I've said above. Turkey sure is far ahead of india, but even Turkey needs to ask BAE and Rolls Royce to help it with its TFX, so where does that leave india with its lofty ambitions, let alone Pakistan?

Side note: because of the lack of details from the PAF, I think people have really warped expectations. What were people expectations after 5 years? A flying prototype? The actual institutions and facilities haven't even been built yet. To me at least, the Azm project was simply to establish the relevant human capital and R&D infrastructure, rather than rolling out a completed product in 10 years time.

Moreover, for an indigenous project to make any viable sense, there needs to be a significant order of airframes to achieve economies of scale. This is the main problem that plagues not just the PAF's wild fantasies, but also the TFX, the indians, as well as the KFX/Indonesian project. The JF-17 project made sense from that point of view given the sizeable numbers so far ordered, and projected, which could reach around 200-250 airframes, so it made sense for the PAF to invest in its infrastructure. But given how costly fifth gen airframes cost, not to mention associated support, the numbers are much lower in the first place. Only the likes of China and the US are in any real position to design, develop, and produce fifth gen types in sizeable numbers. Even the Russians were struggling before the war. For the likes of Turkey, india, Korea, Pakistan, etc, it doesn't really make much sense to invest in a project that will lead to around 100 airframes, at most if that. Far better either to pool resources, like the Korean/Indonesians have done (even that is troubled) or the F-35 consortium, or simply acquire an off the shelf solution.

Last edited:
In case you haven't noticed, your rant is exactly what others are saying in this thread, including me. By the way, your little speech about Turkey, can you specify exactly what it designed and developed for the Viper or the F-35? For the umpteenth time, license production is not the same as designing and developing, something which you're keen to point out about Pakistan but seem to forget about Turkey and india. Yes, yes, I know on a relative scale Pakistan is far far behind both of those, but Turkey nor india can design and develop a modern high performance engine, for example.

Yes, exactly, like I've said above. Turkey sure is far ahead of india, but even Turkey needs to ask BAE and Rolls Royce to help it with its TFX, so where does that leave india with its lofty ambitions, let alone Pakistan?

Yeah and currently neither can Sweden or Korea, yet they still managed to develop the Gripen and the T-50 Golden Eagle and the KF-21. The engine is the hardest part, everyone knows this. Both the Indians and the Turks have their own engine development processes, not sure about the Indian project other than the Kaveri engine which didn't meet specs and now they are in the process of continuing to develop other engines, but from what I know of Turkey's engine industry, they have a bit more experience with license production of the F110 as well as building subcomponents for various other engines(every CFM Leap engine on a boeing 737 or an airbus 320neo has turkish made parts), there is also a reason as to why Turkey was chosen for engine rehauling for f135 engines, the Turks I feel will likely be able to create an engine with comparable performances to the F110 but it will be an older design engine based on the f110, not a next gen engine, with regards to the Rolls Royce partnership they are hoping to build a next gen engine, they are currently stuck in negotiation b/c Rolls Royce while willing to give Turkey the engine does not wish to give up control over intellectual property for the engine that would allow Turkey to export the engine without rolls royce's input. With regards to the other elements, perhaps you should do a bit of research into those programs. Korea built its own Radar for the KF-21, the Turks are in the process of switching out all the avionics, radar and mission computers of their F-16s with their Project Ozgur upgrades(the Israelis have done something similar with their f-16s), the Turks are going to use that process to build out the avionics of the TFX. Sweden built the radar for the Gripen. The Indian at this point have built their own radars and are in the process of replacing some of the Israeli avionics on their Tejas. So I ask again, Has Pakistan got a program for developing its own "Uttam" AESA? no Do you have your own engine development project? no. Do you have your own radar development project? no. EOTS sensors? no. and sort of avionics development like litening PODS? no. Did Pakistan build its own air to air missiles? no Do you have your own facility for testing the RCS signatures of planes? and other extensive testing and development facilities? no.

Yeah and currently neither can Sweden or Korea, yet they still managed to develop the Gripen and the T-50 Golden Eagle and the KF-21. The engine is the hardest part, everyone knows this. Both the Indians and the Turks have their own engine development processes, not sure about the Indian project other than the Kaveri engine which didn't meet specs and now they are in the process of continuing to develop other engines, but from what I know of Turkey's engine industry, they have a bit more experience with license production of the F110 as well as building subcomponents for various other engines(every CFM Leap engine on a boeing 737 or an airbus 320neo has turkish made parts), there is also a reason as to why Turkey was chosen for engine rehauling for f135 engines, the Turks I feel will likely be able to create an engine with comparable performances to the F110 but it will be an older design engine based on the f110, not a next gen engine, with regards to the Rolls Royce partnership they are hoping to build a next gen engine, they are currently stuck in negotiation b/c Rolls Royce while willing to give Turkey the engine does not wish to give up control over intellectual property for the engine that would allow Turkey to export the engine without rolls royce's input. With regards to the other elements, perhaps you should do a bit of research into those programs. Korea built its own Radar for the KF-21, the Turks are in the process of switching out all the avionics, radar and mission computers of their F-16s with their Project Ozgur upgrades(the Israelis have done something similar with their f-16s), the Turks are going to use that process to build out the avionics of the TFX. Sweden built the radar for the Gripen. The Indian at this point have built their own radars and are in the process of replacing some of the Israeli avionics on their Tejas. So I ask again, Has Pakistan got a program for developing its own "Uttam" AESA? no Do you have your own engine development project? no. Do you have your own radar development project? no. EOTS sensors? no. and sort of avionics development like litening PODS? no. Did Pakistan build its own air to air missiles? no Do you have your own facility for testing the RCS signatures of planes? and other extensive testing and development facilities? no.

Has Pakistan got a program for developing its own "Uttam" AESA? no Do you have your own radar development project? no.
Pakistan is manufacturing AESA radars for JF17 blk3 but still need to design its own. India has yet to design its own from scratch.

Do you have your own engine development project? no.
NO, nothing in pipeline for bigger jets. for UAV and Cm, yes Pakistan has a mature program

EOTS sensors? no.
NO ... Pakistan use to have one, but currently no and will continue to be no for some time. Pakistan had access to Turkish or chinese to fill in teh gap if need be. Did India has one?

and sort of avionics development like litening PODS? no.
some areas, yes, some other areas no. pakistan has to pick and choose for others, there are cheaper quality options available

Did Pakistan build its own air to air missiles? no
No and not planning too .. there is no need of it now at this point

Do you have your own facility for testing the RCS signatures of planes? and other extensive testing and development facilities? no.
YES ...

India has yet to design its own from scratch.

isn't this the indian radar?

Did India has one?

there is one supposed to be on the MK2 and later designs like the AMCA.

Did Pakistan build its own air to air missiles? no
No and not planning too .. there is no need of it now at this point

You are really misjudging the importance of such things. There is a reason why even small countries like South Africa develop their own munitions for platforms. Its a key element of any military aerospace program, the ability to build your own seekers and munitions.

Do you have your own facility for testing the RCS signatures of planes? and other extensive testing and development facilities? no.
YES ...

Pakistan has a facility like this?

Last edited:
isn't this the indian radar?

there is one supposed to be on the MK2 and later designs like the AMCA.

You are really misjudging the importance of such things. There is a reason why even small countries like South Africa develop their own munitions for platforms. Its a key element of any military aerospace program, the ability to build your own seekers and munitions.

Pakistan has a facility like this?

I think you need to get basic understanding of things first before hell bent on debating everyone on incorrect things.

I hope by now you understood that You can never compare a licensed production like SU-30 MKI with a own project of a country like JF-17. Pakistan conceptualized, initiated the project, paid for design & development, its engineers and pilots were part of original team. Comparing it with a product owned by another country (Su-30, owned by Russia) and no input, no funds ever put into its development by India. That's the most hilarious intellect indians show by comparing JF-17 with their licensed production. Yes, if today Pakistan puts an assembly line for J-10Cs which it do not own at all, never initiated it, never paid for its design / development and do not owns it then ofcourse you can compare J-10Cs local production with SU-30MKI location production. That would be right thing to do.

Secondly, what indians mostly do it to undermine the success of JF-17 project. 20 years ago, the first block was supposed to replace F-7s & Mirages with a modern fighter. Its like being stuck in a notion that late 1970s F-16s were supposed to do a certain thing or replace F-5s and Not even talk about the kind of continuous capability it kept on adding over the decades in every block.
The JF-17 further blocks benefited immensely with Chinese rapid advancements in avionics and combat aviation. The fact that Block 3 integrates the most latest weaponry that's main armament of 5th Generation J-20 makes it really deadly in its class. Along with the AESA radar and integrated EW suits makes it one of the very competitive 4.5 gen in light combat aircraft category. I saw your frustrated post. Do you glance indian defence forums OR watch indian vlogs way too much ? As all of your arguments are same. How hard is to view things with factual evidence rather then a baised point of view ? All I wrote in this is just correcting your perception of things regarding liscenced productions, regarding incremental blocks of the aircrafts and its evolving role and capabilities.

I think you need to get basic understanding of things first before hell bent on debating everyone on incorrect things.

I hope by now you understood that You can never compare a licensed production like SU-30 MKI with a own project of a country like JF-17. Pakistan conceptualized, initiated the project, paid for design & development, its engineers and pilots were part of original team. Comparing it with a product owned by another country (Su-30, owned by Russia) and no input, no funds ever put into its development by India. That's the most hilarious intellect indians show by comparing JF-17 with their licensed production. Yes, if today Pakistan puts an assembly line for J-10Cs which it do not own at all, never initiated it, never paid for its design / development and do not owns it then ofcourse you can compare J-10Cs local production with SU-30MKI location production. That would be right thing to do.

Secondly, what indians mostly do it to undermine the success of JF-17 project. 20 years ago, the first block was supposed to replace F-7s & Mirages with a modern fighter. Its like being stuck in a notion that late 1970s F-16s were supposed to do a certain thing or replace F-5s and Not even talk about the kind of continuous capability it kept on adding over the decades in every block.
The JF-17 further blocks benefited immensely with Chinese rapid advancements in avionics and combat aviation. The fact that Block 3 integrates the most latest weaponry that's main armament of 5th Generation J-20 makes it really deadly in its class. Along with the AESA radar and integrated EW suits makes it one of the very competitive 4.5 gen in light combat aircraft category. I saw your frustrated post. Do you glance indian defence forums OR watch indian vlogs way too much ? As all of your arguments are same. How hard is to view things with factual evidence rather then a baised point of view ? All I wrote in this is just correcting your perception of things regarding liscenced productions, regarding incremental blocks of the aircrafts and its evolving role and capabilities.

Notice how you dodged the points regarding the subsystems I raised. "Do you have your own engine development project? no. Do you have your own radar development project? no. EOTS sensors? no. and sort of avionics development like litening PODS? no. Did Pakistan build its own air to air missiles? no. " then wtf did you design in the plane and its subsystems? Mofos trying to act like its "50-50" project, b/c they "paid for design and development" China btw was already developing a replacement for the J-7(The Super 7 which is what the they called it in the news up until the new name jf-17 was announced) before any agreement was signed by Pakistan. Mikoyan btw also was brought in for design support, as they had been experimenting with a single engine aircraft based around the Rd-33 from the Mig-29. But you want to for some reason act like its was Pakistan that designed the airframe, the avionics(carryover from the J-10 and other chinese developments).

No one is arguing about the JF-17 as a platform, people are arguing about the specifics regarding Pakistan's role in the development. Saudi Arabia invested money in the development of the Hrim-2(hell Saudi probably paid for the whole thing), but is anyone with a straight face going to argue that its a Saudi design?

Last edited:
Yes, that is exactly the problem with this model, and why Pakistan can't develop a fifth gen aircraft by itself. But then again, neither can Turkey or india without foreign assistance. So what's your point?

it is the degree of foreign assistance that is the difference.

India now doesn't need any foreign assistance with the
-design of the fighter, including majority of Wind Tunnel Testing and CFD (but even now WTT is conducted abroad at ONERA and CALSPAN when required)
-the carbon fiber composites design and manufacturing
-the avionics, including Mission computer, Autopilot, HUD, Smart MFDs or Large Area Display, etc.
-Electrical design
-design of the brake management system
-design of the environment control system
-design of the hydraulics system
-design and fabrication of the actuators (earlier Moog's actuators were used on the Tejas)
-the GaAs AESA radar, (GaN T/R modules have been fabricated as well but will take time to develop into a new Uttam Mk3)
-the AESA EW suite,
-IRST (indigenous IRST with TV channel is being developed to eventually replace the Su-30MKI's Russian IRST)
-the stealth design, the testing of the stealth design,
-the RAM coatings,
- the radome design, (quartz radome is in development as of now for Tejas Mk1A)
-BVRAAMs
-PGMs

The one and only a couple of areas where India is still lagging. the Litening LDP for instance. It is a superb piece of equipment and it probably makes no sense to develop a new one as of now. Ejection seat is another area but I would much rather they use Martin Baker seats.

Engine is the primary area where foreign assistance is being sought and a JV is very likely to be formed with Safran for the 120 kN engine that the AMCA eventually needs. Till then they'll manufacture F-414 in India under license assembly model.

Out of all these areas that I described, what can Pakistan do without foreign assistance? Be honest and the answer to why Project Azm was a failure will become clear.

Although it may have taken a while, ultimately you are far ahead of Pakistan now, so it was still a success overall. Very big success.

To be very honest, India was very far ahead even in the 1960s when the HF-24 Marut was designed at HAL by Kurt Tank and his team. Unfortunately, the engine fiasco of the HF-24 Marut meant that it was underpowered for such a great airframe design. Eventually the Marut was retired early and the IAF did not entertain HAL's proposals for follow on designs including HF-73 and that meant a huge blow to India's indigenous design capability.

Ajeet was not a real success, having been an improved Gnat and it was this program's disappointing results that led to the LCA being pushed through by Air Marshal Idris Latif. That is how the LCA program's seeds were sown in the 1980s, but by then HAL was already 2 decades behind state of the art, since there had been no new fighter development program after the Marut.

After that the 1980s were all about Jaguar induction and HAL license assembly of the type. It was later followed by the MiG-23BN and MiG-27 which was another fighter that HAL license built. HAL was then license building the Su-30MKI which includes quite a few HAL built parts, including the Mission Computer.

All this was BEFORE Pakistan even undertook the JF-17 program. So the Indian aerospace industry was already much further ahead than Pakistan's aerospace industry. But the key aspect is that license assembly is nowhere near the same as designing, developing and manufacturing your own design. That is the true test of a nation's aerospace capabilities.

Notice how you dodged the points regarding the subsystems I raised. "Do you have your own engine development project? no. Do you have your own radar development project? no. EOTS sensors? no. and sort of avionics development like litening PODS? no. Did Pakistan build its own air to air missiles? no. " then wtf did you design in the plane and its subsystems? Mofos trying to act like its "50-50" project, b/c they "paid for design and development" China btw was already developing a replacement for the J-7(The Super 7 which is what the they called it in the news up until the new name jf-17 was announced) before any agreement was signed by Pakistan. Mikoyan btw also was brought in for design support, as they had been experimenting with a single engine aircraft based around the Rd-33 from the Mig-29. But you want to for some reason act like its was Pakistan that designed the airframe, the avionics(carryover from the J-10 and other chinese developments).

No one is arguing about the JF-17 as a platform, people are arguing about the specifics regarding Pakistan's role in the development. Saudi Arabia invested money in the development of the Hrim-2(hell Saudi probably paid for the whole thing), but is anyone with a straight face going to argue that its a Saudi design?

Lolz since when I said that Pak designed the aircraft or its Pak's own home built technology ? Whats your insecurities really are ? Indian decent / watching too much indian vlogs or just usual obsession with Pak ?

I only responded you to correct the usual BS that indians throw, the same you were doing so in following particular cases:

1- by comparing JF-17 project with SU-30 MKI: I have explained how two are entirely different Kind of projects (licensed Vs ownership). One is owned by Russia other by Pak/China. Full explanation given already.

2- By deliberately undermining JF-17 by saying it was just to replace J-7: Another pathetic argument and same BS that we see over the border. Again, I explained how this argument was valid 20 years ago but Not now. F-16 block 70 is totally different beast that 1978 F-16s intended to replace F-5s.

I have not touched any other point at all. What you are trying to prove ? That Pakistan didn't contributed in its development.. I never disagree to it. It did contributed financially and with its test pilots but Not technically - its primarily Chinese technology.

Lolz since when I said that Pak designed the aircraft or its Pak's own home built technology ? Whats your insecurities really are ? Indian decent / watching too much indian vlogs or just usual obsession with Pak ?

Wtf is it with you people and trying to attack people? I get into an argument with the Indians here regarding Modi, and apparently I'm a Pakistan lover, I get into an argument with you, i'm a pakistan hater? Its so dumb.

Wtf is it with you people and trying to attack people? I get into an argument with the Indians here regarding Modi, and apparently I'm a Pakistan lover, I get into an argument with you, i'm a pakistan hater? Its so dumb.

It's what you get when posting dumb stuff on a Pakistani defence forum. Aren't there any other forums you can participate in where you won't be accused of being Pakistani or indian?

LMAO! Your rant means nothing. China did that, china did this.. Ofcourse it did and we know that but look at the facts. Pak initiated project, Pak paid for design & development and Pak is co-owner of the project.

Youtube is product of whom ? Do you even remember the name of guy who developed it. Everyone will say and rightly that youtube is product of Google. (even though google never developed it, neither it paid for its initial development) Projects are always known from ownership. First time I am seeing a strange kind of intellect which is comparing SU-30 (already developed product, owned by some other country, allowed for license production) to a completely new designed project (JF-17, which is owned by the country itself and it paid for design & development).

How hard it is to grasp basic concepts ? You need to throw your bias out of the window to grasp these basic facts.

Was the "co-owner" entirely dependent on China to develop the JF-17 Block 3? If so, why?

Can the "co-owner" develop a Block 4 JF-17 on it's own? If not, why?

Main reason of failure... Once someone placed own self, own ego first instead of the greater good.
27C8611C-15A7-4705-886D-B676B3954D72.jpeg

Story of Pakistan
Eh @JamD?

Was the "co-owner" entirely dependent on China to develop the JF-17 Block 3? If so, why?

Can the "co-owner" develop a Block 4 JF-17 on it's own? If not, why?
The biggest difference is that while India’s human resources dwarfed Pakistan even from the 50s and 60s since Marut - what it also had to face was an utter failure of leadership.

While Indian bureaucracy has hobbled projects a lot it never hobbled education at that level. Pakistanis meanwhile that did study, did want to entice change were either forced by a system of deep rooted mediocrity to comply or simply left for greener grounds.

Finally, all development in Pakistan post the 70s was focused on military and with military running it.

That single aspect is the greatest drawback to Pakistani R&D culture.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom