What's new

What is the trade of forum members?

Sir, here in the US we try to discourage " Creative Accounting ". In fact, after Sarbanes Oxley Act there are serious penalties and " Prison Time " against "CREATIVE ACCOUNTANTS" COOKING THE BOOKS.....:omghaha:

I know janaaab, Corporate Governance is pretty tight ! But I wasn't referring to creative accounting but what I perceive financial accounting to be in its nature - Bland, Limited in Scope after a certain point in time but extremely important !

I'm sure there are those who disagree with me on that; some of my friends do. I do recall a particular friend of mine who'd go 'Yes...Balance Sheet balance ho gaiii & then do a weird victory dance' ! :lol:

Now a days, yours truly runs the Finance function of a Global Industrial company... Was in Strategy advisory before this... Haven't crossed mid 30s so far

So @Pakistanisage - Janaab aaap kaun siii Accounting teach karteiii hain ? :what:

Both Financial and Managerial Accounting + Auditing + Taxation (Individual +Partnership Taxation + Corporate Tax ) + Advanced Accounting ( including Consolidations + Mergers and Acquisitions + Government and Fund Accounting + Non profit + Currency translations + credit default swaps etc.)+ Advanced Cost Accounting.

As well as Fundamentals of Finance + Corporate Finance.....

And I love teaching every bit of it. Actually I love teaching. Period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both Financial and Managerial Accounting + Auditing + Taxation (Individual +Partnership Taxation + Corporate Tax ) + Advanced Accounting ( including Consolidations + Mergers and Acquisitions + Government and Fund Accounting + Non profit + Currency translations + credit default swaps etc.)+ Advanced Cost Accounting.

My mum is a teacher... I've 9 family members out of 12, who are into teaching as a profession.... I really can relate to what you mean!!!

No Financial Management ? (Investment Appraisal, Capital Asset Pricing Model, Cost of Equity or Debt, Weighted Average Cost of Capital, Risk Management or Business Valuations) :cray:

You are missing out on so much fun ! :)

And Consolidation - Damn it....I hate Consolidations; itneiii complex groups structures Examiner dei deitaa haiii that I'm confused as hell as to how i treat the Associates, Subsidiaries & the Non Controlling Interests at the same time without messing it all up ! :pissed:

Waisee abhi tukkk mujhe seiii eik dufaaa bhi Consolidation mein Balance Sheet Balance nahin hoiiii ! :omghaha:

But I still passed - On the basis of steps needed to perform the question ! :D

But only barely ! :ashamed:

Now a days, yours truly runs the Finance function of a Global Industrial company... Was in Strategy advisory before this... Haven't crossed mid 30s so far

Phir koi Career Advice hi bandaa dei deitaa haiii ? :unsure:

You tell me the day you need an advice bro! Not only you would get advice, you could damn well figure out a job as well in one of the 21 countries, we operate in... ;)

Anyday, just ask! I mean it!

You tell me the day you need an advice bro! Not only you would get advice, you could damn well figure out a job as well in one of the 21 countries, we operate in... ;)

Anyday, just ask! I mean it!

Thank You ! :kiss3:

So Mastaan Bhai, any idea what would someone who loves Management Accounting, Financial Management, Forex Trading & above all finds Economics to be his proverbial Juliet but hates the guts out of Financial Accounting - Could possibly be as a Career Professional ?

I mean where could I possibly end up being with that ?

Thank You ! :kiss3:

So Mastaan Bhai, any idea what would someone who loves Management Accounting, Financial Management, Forex Trading & above all finds Economics to be his proverbial Juliet but hates the guts out of Financial Accounting - Could possibly be as a Career Professional ?

I mean where could I possibly end up being with that ?

The SIMPLEST path is of starting up as a Financial Controller (No Financial Accounting, Only Management Accounting)... This is considered to be a solid track to CFO position and beyond... You could also start in Treasury, but treasury roles are very very little in numbers and very specific and more difficult to branch out of...

Check out this Guy.. Deepak Ahuja, Seasoned Auto Industry Finance Executive, Joins Tesla Motors as CFO | Press Releases | Tesla Motors ... An Engineer and MBA, who worked as a controller, only to land up a job as CFO of the hottest Car Company in the world

I can give you examples after examples of CAs/MBAs, who took this route to achieve the ultimate CXO position, which in a way is the pinnacle of professional careers... Let me know if you wanna know more...

No Financial Management ? (Investment Appraisal, Capital Asset Pricing Model, Cost of Equity or Debt, Weighted Average Cost of Capital, Risk Management or Business Valuations) :cray:
You are missing out on so much fun ! :)

And Consolidation - Damn it....I hate Consolidations; itneiii complex groups structures Examiner dei deitaa haiii that I'm confused as hell as to how i treat the Associates, Subsidiaries & the Non Controlling Interests at the same time without messing it all up ! :pissed:

Waisee abhi tukkk mujhe seiii eik dufaaa bhi Consolidation mein Balance Sheet Balance nahin hoiiii ! :omghaha:

But I still passed - On the basis of steps needed to perform the question ! :D

But only barely ! :ashamed:

Out here we cover all that under CORPORATE FINANCE.

Check out the Textbook "Fundamentls of Corporate Finance" by Ross, Westerfield and Jordan.

I got all that covered , Dude.....:omghaha:

The SIMPLEST path is of starting up as a Financial Controller (No Financial Accounting, Only Management Accounting)... This is considered to be a solid track to CFO position and beyond... You could also start in Treasury, but treasury roles are very very little in numbers and very specific and more difficult to branch out of...

Check out this Guy.. Deepak Ahuja, Seasoned Auto Industry Finance Executive, Joins Tesla Motors as CFO | Press Releases | Tesla Motors ... An Engineer and MBA, who worked as a controller, only to land up a job as CFO of the hottest Car Company in the world

I can give you examples after examples of CAs/MBAs, who took this route to achieve the ultimate CXO position, which in a way is the pinnacle of professional careers... Let me know if you wanna know more...

Yeah mate, I know that path ! I've never been into the whole 'Professional Careers' thing & I'm not particularly ambitious in that direction; I guess what I was asking was whether its possible for someone with those interests to have his own little thing free lance ?

But more so than all of those interest areas - I'm very fond of FOREX trading & I wonder what kind of an entry level job should I be looking at & where, if I wanted to make a living out of FOREX trading & consultancy ?

:big_boss:
Yeah mate, I know that path ! I've never been into the whole 'Professional Careers' thing & I'm not particularly ambitious in that direction; I guess what I was asking was whether its possible for someone with those interests to have his own little thing free lance ?

But more so than all of those interest areas - I'm very fond of FOREX trading & I wonder what kind of an entry level job should I be looking at & where, if I wanted to make a living out of FOREX trading & consultancy ?

Give me about a year's lead time to set my Institute Butt Sahib and I may need your valuable Services....:big_boss:

Give me about a year's lead time to set my Institute Butt Sahib and I may need your valuable Services....:big_boss:

Sir the last time I came to Karachi - I was admitted in Agha Khan due to a severe attack of asthma - Ubbb murr jaoon gaa phir chakar nahin lagooon gaaa ! :omghaha:

With my limited knowledge, I know of only 3 places, where you can START to learn forex management, so that you can freelance consult on Forex. So far as I understand, tax books aside, what is critical to understand is HOW exactly the trade works in the first place, else you can call yourself a consultant, but won't get clients.

First option is obviously is a trading desk of a bank/fund/broker - They have many openings/jobs for beginners (You could use your CA to get into a valuation side role of forex banking as well). I believe it is the most practical option. But, I am not sure if you have traders in Lahore who are into forex trading (only for the arbitrage or real forex trading for Non resident Pakistanis)

Second, you can try and get into treasury arm of a MNC within your country (Getting an International job in Forex is virtually impossible, as there is no reasons for treasury bench of a company to call in a green horn and go thru the visa hassles and expat contract extra etc). Again, i reiterate; Treasury exposure is a MUST before you jump into the field on your own. Generally in Company tradings you can learn a lot about Heding and a single currency trading (as Most companies will trade with their HQ only in a single currency) and that is their limitation.

Third, you can aim to join with your Reserve Bank or EXIM bank of Pakistan (may be an internship) and try to get on to the trading desk there. It would be low paying but VERY VERY insightful, however, it might arguably be the most difficult.

I know, you don't want to figure out how to land a job. But, a career in specific finance topics like Forex, Derivatives, M&A etc demands that you have some experience and credibility in the function.

If I were you, I'd just walk into a big trading house in Lahore (which also deals in currencies) and try to get an appointment with the trading guys for currency desk and ask for an internship... IT is tiresome, but somehow the most likely way to work... (A la 'the pursuit of happyness' way)

Back
Top Bottom