What's new

What is the trade of forum members?

With my limited knowledge, I know of only 3 places, where you can START to learn forex management, so that you can freelance consult on Forex. So far as I understand, tax books aside, what is critical to understand is HOW exactly the trade works in the first place, else you can call yourself a consultant, but won't get clients.

First option is obviously is a trading desk of a bank/fund/broker - They have many openings/jobs for beginners (You could use your CA to get into a valuation side role of forex banking as well). I believe it is the most practical option. But, I am not sure if you have traders in Lahore who are into forex trading (only for the arbitrage or real forex trading for Non resident Pakistanis)

Second, you can try and get into treasury arm of a MNC within your country (Getting an International job in Forex is virtually impossible, as there is no reasons for treasury bench of a company to call in a green horn and go thru the visa hassles and expat contract extra etc). Again, i reiterate; Treasury exposure is a MUST before you jump into the field on your own. Generally in Company tradings you can learn a lot about Heding and a single currency trading (as Most companies will trade with their HQ only in a single currency) and that is their limitation.

Third, you can aim to join with your Reserve Bank or EXIM bank of Pakistan (may be an internship) and try to get on to the trading desk there. It would be low paying but VERY VERY insightful, however, it might arguably be the most difficult.

I know, you don't want to figure out how to land a job. But, a career in specific finance topics like Forex, Derivatives, M&A etc demands that you have some experience and credibility in the function.

If I were you, I'd just walk into a big trading house in Lahore (which also deals in currencies) and try to get an appointment with the trading guys for currency desk and ask for an internship... IT is tiresome, but somehow the most likely way to work... (A la 'the pursuit of happyness' way)

Aaahhh...thank you so much....this is very useful ! :)

So what qualification would you recommend topping my ACCA up with ? CFA or an MBA (Finance) or something else ? *Assuming that FOREX is the way forward for me*

I am a business man,a successful real estate with some farming and a travel agency[ buses ]. Happily married,she's a doctor, and we are having child. Happy,small family.

Oh my...I think i might know you in real life...Does your name end with "khan"?

So what qualification would you recommend topping my ACCA up with ? CFA or an MBA (Finance) or something else ? *Assuming that FOREX is the way forward for me*

Practically, neither! What you need is to see if you have a currency trading desk in Pakistan and keep on showing up till they offer you a job or internship.. :)

But, if you really want to go international, then try and join one of the big 4 (EY/PWC/KPMG/Delloitte), spend a couple of years there (to build a strong reference for admission committees) and apply for an MBA Finance in an international university... Trust me, you really need to step out to figure out the real world of finance... It exists in the west, not in Asia.

You will need some certifications for trading in general and for trading currencies as well, but those are country dependent and thus, you can decide on that course of action during you MBA... Point is, to get into currencies/trading you don't need a specific degree, but you need the right reference and that MBA gives you...

May be ask @Pakistanisage for specifics on that. He is in NY and that is THE place for trading - anything and everything and he teaches finance. NYC also has Columbia University and Stern School of Business - both are powerhouses for Banking and Trading jobs. Though they are very difficult to get into!

Last edited by a moderator:
I sell cockrings.

Anyone with confidence issue, I am the guy to call.

I do lots of business with India.

Dont do MBA,do CFA.

MBA is a waste of time for CAs.

Secondly,dont do Fx Trading,Just try Equities/Fixed Income.Equities much better with your ACCA background.

If you cant get a job in a trading desk,i would suggest that you try to get into the risk treasury of a Bank.

Any Bank in Pak would do,whether internship/job.

There are no jobs in the west anymore,it is all in the Middle East & Asia.

Trying to get into Wall Street and doing a high cost MBA is a huge risk and not worth it.

As i said before,try doing CFA and try Equities/Fixed Income and you learn Macro economics right on the job,an MBA just teaches you too much unecessary stuff.

But what it gives you is an entry into such jobs from placements/contacts,i believe you can achieve that by working in the middle east instead of risking it in the USA.

I have some good contacts in Dubai,basically a bunch of LUMS alumni,if you are interested get in touch.

Dont do MBA,do CFA.

MBA is a waste of time for CAs.

Secondly,dont do Fx Trading,Just try Equities/Fixed Income.Equities much better with your ACCA background.

If you cant get a job in a trading desk,i would suggest that you try to get into the risk treasury of a Bank.

Any Bank in Pak would do,whether internship/job.

There are no jobs in the west anymore,it is all in the Middle East & Asia.

Trying to get into Wall Street and doing a high cost MBA is a huge risk and not worth it.

As i said before,try doing CFA and try Equities/Fixed Income and you learn Macro economics right on the job,an MBA just teaches you too much unecessary stuff.

But what it gives you is an entry into such jobs from placements/contacts,i believe you can achieve that by working in the middle east instead of risking it in the USA.

I have some good contacts in Dubai,basically a bunch of LUMS alumni,if you are interested get in touch.

Thanks mate, I appreciate it ! :)

Yes I've been trying to get an Internship in the treasury department of one of our bigger banks....lets see how that pans out !

I am currently a student doing a Master in International Business, working security gigs on the side to support my student life, I am also a part time freelance photographer and work for a magazine. Mostly Trade for prints

Before that, I kill people for a living.........

I am currently a student doing a Master in International Business, working security gigs on the side to support my student life, I am also a part time freelance photographer and work for a magazine. Mostly Trade for prints

Before that, I kill people for a living.........

How does one go from being a soldier to a photographer ? I can understand the International Business thing but a swim suit photographer who usually covers Gentlemen's bars.....thats gotta be a first ! :whistle:

if you need help,send me your CV.

Thanks, mate ! I appreciate it. :)

But I think I need to add another Internship to the Resume to make it somewhat respectable still before I show it to anyone ! :ashamed:

lol, I have a VERY early interest in Photography ever since my dad bought me my first SLR (Not even digital back then) in my teens and I joined the military so that they will pay for my education.

and yes, I did actually get paid to visit gentlemen club. Which is one of the perks that come with the title.

And yeah, people are usually surprised when I told them I was a soldier not so long ago, especially those model chicks who really dig man in uniform......

lol, I have a VERY early interest in Photography ever since my dad bought me my first SLR (Not even digital back then) in my teens and I joined the military so that they will pay for my education.

and yes, I did actually get paid to visit gentlemen club. Which is one of the perks that come with the title.

And yeah, people are usually surprised when I told them I was a soldier not so long ago, especially those model chicks who really dig man in uniform......

I bet there is a certain Swedish lady who'd kill for such information....kill you I mean ! :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom