What's new

What is the scope of Defense and Strategic studies/Strategic and Nuclear studies in Pakistan?

sharjeel1992

Reaction score
Asalamualaikum,

I hope I am not posting this topic in the wrong thread.
I would like to do MS in strategic and defense studies either from NDU, QAU or abroad. So, I would like to know what is the scope of these programs in Pakistan for CIVILIANS?

Kindly put some light on this topic.

And if someone already has posted related topic kindly post the link below.

Thanks.

I dont know the scope of strategic studies for civilians in Pakistan but better not study strategy from third world (or second world) institutes because strategy is essentially problem solving and if 3rd world was that good at it they wouldnt be so backward in the first place.

Your best bet would be to go for CSS and in particular foreign service...... otherwise IMO you would end up being an analyst writing for newspapers, freelancer, or at best a faculty at a higher institute.

I dont know the scope of strategic studies for civilians in Pakistan but better not study strategy from third world (or second world) institutes because strategy is essentially problem solving and if 3rd world was that good at it they wouldnt be so backward in the first place.

lol, you can't be serious!

"Third World" is a useless world now. We don't live in 1960's no more. But then again, a person like you won't get it.

Prosperity and well-being of nations have a lot of variables. Stop being such pessimistic.

"Third World" is a useless world now. We don't live in 1960's no more. But then again, a person like you won't get it.

Prosperity and well-being of nations have a lot of variables. Stop being such pessimistic.
27898170.jpg

thank you all.

I was thinking cant we join defence agencies?

Based on what? There is no concept of civilian advisory and opinion within our armed forces. They dont consider your opinion of any use and think that they have all the knowledge they need to think for themselves. There may be scope in journalism but that too is fickle. You are better off doing political sciences and perhaps get some respect as a political columnist.

Asalamualaikum,

I hope I am not posting this topic in the wrong thread.
I would like to do MS in strategic and defense studies either from NDU, QAU or abroad. So, I would like to know what is the scope of these programs in Pakistan for CIVILIANS?

Kindly put some light on this topic.

And if someone already has posted related topic kindly post the link below.

Thanks.

I'd second what Oscar said. Even if you go abroad, the opportunities are limited. Might be a better option to do something in International Relations, at least you can work with global aid agencies like UN/USAID/Red Cross etc. Unless you want to be a journalist, then that's a different story.

I'd second what Oscar said. Even if you go abroad, the opportunities are limited. Might be a better option to do something in International Relations, at least you can work with global aid agencies like UN/USAID/Red Cross etc. Unless you want to be a journalist, then that's a different story.

And those journalists are doing greats.. Anyways you are pretty much correct..

Right. THanks

Though, I am not interested in journalism have seen it a little
What about criminal justice? than can we join LEAs or defence? Or is that also restricted to just lawyers and judges?
Cause universities have various scopes related to that discipline.

Provided you are not very old lad , you should finish your masters and try to get into Armed forces you would get a higher Rank based on your Education credential.

The education you will attain will broaden your mindset and bring fresh Ideas for Pakistani Armed forces

People who can thing strategically are always in demand , vs folks who would go in with out a plan into any battle of situation.

Such a program would have been ideal had you already been in Pakistani Armed forces and you attended the studies as part of your training in Armed forces

The obvious answer is the military. In my experience, most of those who get a degree in strategic studies are either current, former or future members of their nations armed forces.

Apart from the military, then you could easily (depending on your work experience and your grades) slip into working for the government, usually in a national security role.

Depending on what level you achieved your degree, you could probably work for a think tank or NGO, but you might need an advanced degree for that and excellent grades.

Then of course there is always academia, but you probably would have to get both a PhD and significant military experience.

Other alternative is a writer, foreign office, journalist, media anchor etc etc.

one of my professors like to use the term "other world"

The obvious answer is the military. In my experience, most of those who get a degree in strategic studies are either current, former or future members of their nations armed forces.

Apart from the military, then you could easily (depending on your work experience and your grades) slip into working for the government, usually in a national security role.

Depending on what level you achieved your degree, you could probably work for a think tank or NGO, but you might need an advanced degree for that and excellent grades.

Then of course there is always academia, but you probably would have to get both a PhD and significant military experience.

Other alternative is a writer, foreign office, journalist, media anchor etc etc.
why not diplomats ??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom