What's new

What is the economy of Greater China (PRC+ROC+Hong Kong+Singapore)

Abdi-Karim Elmi

Reaction score
How much is it in Total and will it supass the American Economy? What if these nation unite to form China e.g PRC+HK

Singapore is sandwiched between Malaysia and Indonesia. It is a different country - officially multireligious, multilingual, multiethnic.

"Greater China" includes PRC, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau. Greater China could produce a greater economic output than American one in about 3 to 5 years time, I reckon, going by current progress.

Singapore is sandwiched between Malaysia and Indonesia.

"Greater China" includes PRC, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau. Greater China could produce a greater economic output than American one in about 3 to 5 years time, I reckon, going by current progress.

So that would mean the Chinese economy will no longer have to depend on US imports and can self sustain itself right? Plus the Chinese would have to buy US treasury notes and bonds!

How much is it in Total and will it supass the American Economy?
I dont think even if china overtake US, it wont make much of difference as we exactly wanted it to be.. There wont be another lone superpower like America is what is today.. ever..thats for sure.

So that would mean the Chinese economy will no longer have to depend on US imports and can self sustain itself right? Plus the Chinese would have to buy US treasury notes and bonds!

I do not think the Chinese economy 'needs' the US economy as such. If you have diplomatic relations with the USA, if they have a relatively large domestic market, if exporting to the USA is allowed by their government, then it makes some sense to earn money from that market. But in no way is China reliant on export to USA alone for its economic growth. As for buying US Treasury notes and bonds, in my personal opinion, China should have been more assertive against USA by not only threatening to dump the dollar, but by moving away from US govt treasuries, bonds etc, but that is not for me to decide, it should be decided by the Chinese.

Even if you are the largest economy in the world, you do not stop exporting all of a sudden, right? China is a larger economy than all South Asian economies combined, but China enjoys a trade surplus with Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, etc. So I do not think China will stop exporting if/once it becomes the largest economy, but maybe it will be more self-confident, its politicians and citizens will start spreading influence around the world (like setting up more Confucian Institutes, more HK movies, Kung Fu schools, customized Chinese cuisine around the world, e.g. Halal chinese cuisine in Muslim countries, etc).

Singapore indeed is a separate country. However, it is about 80% Chinese descents, I think.

Singapore is sandwiched between Malaysia and Indonesia. It is a different country - officially multireligious, multilingual, multiethnic.

PRC >> ROC + Hong Long + Singapore

The gap will only get larger in the future

Huh i dont think PRc needs to be GC to be number one !! the way they are expanding , PRC along is enough

PRC >> ROC + Hong Long + Singapore

The gap will only get larger in the future

1. It's Hong Kong, not Hong Long.
2. Singapore is not part of China.
3. The comparison is not between mainland China and other parts of China. The comparison started by TS is between Greater China and Great Satan, aka USA.

SG is a separate country but it is within greater china society.

Officially, Singapore's anthem is in Malay language, its flag includes a 'crescent' and 'stars' to appease the Malay minority considering the Chinese immigrated to SG only a few generations ago. In reality, SG is a chinese majority country where LKY (Lee Kuan Yew) strictly endorsed anti Muslim/anti Malay agendas (no Malays in top positions at Air Force), anti Muslim commentary, racial superiority/hierarchy ideas, capping the percentage of each race in SG, and so on.

1. It's Hong Kong, not Hong Long.
2. Singapore is not part of China.
3. The comparison is not between mainland China and other parts of China. The comparison started by TS is between Greater China and Great Satan, aka USA.

That's right. :tup:

In truth, Hong Kong and Taiwan are very small compared to the mainland, equivalent in terms of population to just a mainland city.

And Shanghai alone already has a bigger GDP than Hong Kong does.

We in HK have done very well for ourselves, punching far above our population size. But in terms of Greater China, we are only just one small part, just like any other Chinese city.

That's right. :tup:

In truth, Hong Kong and Taiwan are very small compared to the mainland, equivalent in terms of population to just a mainland city.

And Shanghai alone already has a bigger GDP than Hong Kong does.

We in HK have done very well for ourselves, punching far above our population size. But in terms of Greater China, we are only just one small part, just like any other Chinese city.

True. When do you reckon Greater China's economy will be larger than USA's economy?

Back
Top Bottom