What's new

What is Pakistan doing with their Type 59s when retired?

T59 with fc now with 100 mm gun and some still with army most of all of them with ir camera, 105/125 mm guns and night capable

T59 with fc now with 100 mm gun and some still with army most of all of them with ir camera, 105/125 mm guns and night capable
Simple, armor is trash and can barely take larger auto cannon rounds. I'm betting a Rooikat could take out a Type 59.

What tank will replace remaining 600 T-59 tank still in the inventory?

Most likely Alkhalid is replacing old tanks lkke al zaraar. While new heavier tank VT-4 is probably complementing t-80 udz. I think a 55 ton plus tank would soon be annouced under haider programe.

Most likely Alkhalid is replacing old tanks lkke al zaraar. While new heavier tank VT-4 is probably complementing t-80 udz. I think a 55 ton plus tank would soon be annouced under haider programe.

What about T-80 upgrade to T-84 standard? Any progress on that?

How many Type 85-IIAP and Type 69-IIMP are going to be upgrade and how long will they stay in service?

I heard that we recievedsurplus T-72 tanks in 90s. Do we still have T-72 Tanks?

How many Type 85-IIAP and Type 69-IIMP are going to be upgrade and how long will they stay in service?

I heard that we recievedsurplus T-72 tanks in 90s. Do we still have T-72 Tanks?
I have never heard of a single T-72 tank in pakistan army Arsenal. We have typr 85-II and type 90-II in place of t-72.

Although im not qualified to answer this question. I can tell u what i know.

Pakistani T-80UD are being upgraded to T-84 oplot P standard by some chatter on the internet.

Alkhalkid is near completion of its orders and Alkhalid-1 has started production with armor upgrade.

Talks of T-90S or M tanks frok russia are underway for 600 tanks.

Vt-4/MBT 3000 has been selected for 240 units initial batch. Also besides above mention purchases.

Also there is a rumor that Altay tank (Turkey) is being looked at for customisation as per needs of pakistan army.

There is also chatter about chinese wz-10 attack helicopters to take out enemy tanks. 50 in nunber along with contract of T-129 B attack helicopters purchased for pakistan army. More than 50 units.

I have never heard of a single T-72 tank in pakistan army Arsenal. We have typr 85-II and type 90-II in place of t-72.

Although im not qualified to answer this question. I can tell u what i know.

Pakistani T-80UD are being upgraded to T-84 oplot P standard by some chatter on the internet.

Alkhalkid is near completion of its orders and Alkhalid-1 has started production with armor upgrade.

Talks of T-90S or M tanks frok russia are underway for 600 tanks.

Vt-4/MBT 3000 has been selected for 240 units initial batch. Also besides above mention purchases.

Also there is a rumor that Altay tank (Turkey) is being looked at for customisation as per needs of pakistan army.

There is also chatter about chinese wz-10 attack helicopters to take out enemy tanks. 50 in nunber along with contract of T-129 B attack helicopters purchased for pakistan army. More than 50 units.

Why so many different tanks?

T-90S
Vt-4/MBT-3000
Al-Khalid
Al-Khalid I
T-80
Al-zarrar

T-85 II
Type-85-II-Tank-2.jpg

T-85 III
Type-85-Tank.jpg

T-90S
Vt-4/MBT-3000
Al-Khalid
Al-Khalid I
T-80
Al-zarrar

T-85 II
Type-85-II-Tank-2.jpg

T-85 III
Type-85-Tank.jpg

I have no idea but u trust our armed forces there must be a solid reason.

T-90S
Vt-4/MBT-3000
Al-Khalid
Al-Khalid I
T-80
Al-zarrar

T-85 II
Type-85-II-Tank-2.jpg

T-85 III
Type-85-Tank.jpg
Also i think all type 85 tanks types along with type 90 II type tanks have been upgraded to alkhalid status.

Simple, armor is trash and can barely take larger auto cannon rounds. I'm betting a Rooikat could take out a Type 59.
You will lose the bet. Type-59 has been modified and upgraded many times in its life time.

Hopefully AK-I, otherwise any other MBT(VT-4 or T-84 or lets see if AK-II comes up) that PA goes for.

T-80 UD is upgraded from time to time.

250-270 T-85 II.

T-69 given to paramilitary.
I heard that we recievedsurplus T-72 tanks in 90s.
Chinese did i think.

Do we still have T-72 Tanks?
No

Different requirements and acquisitions over a long period of time.
None.
Vt-4/MBT-3000
None so far
Al-Khalid
Desert corridor.
Al-Khalid I
First major upgrade of AK.
Covering Desert as well as plains of Punjab.
Al-zarrar
The best alternative for T-59 as an upgrade at cheaper cost than inducting a new MBT.

You will lose the bet. Type-59 has been modified and upgraded many times in its life time.

Hopefully AK-I, otherwise any other MBT(VT-4 or T-84 or lets see if AK-II comes up) that PA goes for.

250-270 T-85 II.

Chinese did i think.
The Armor Piercing Fin Stabilised Discarding Sabot-Tracer (APFSDS-T) round made with a tungsten alloy penetrator has a muzzle velocity of over 1600m/s and is capable of penetrating the front hull (275 mm RHA) and turret (230 mm RHA) of a T-62 MBT at 2000 m.

If it can penetrate a T-62 but you could be right that it won't penetrate the frontal armor. Rear and sides are surely kills.
DSCF4702-768x432.jpg

No

None.

None so far

Desert corridor.

The best alternative for T-59 as an upgrade at cheaper cost than inducting a new MBT.
The Armor Piercing Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot-Tracer (APFSDS-T) round made with a tungsten alloy penetrator has a muzzle velocity of over 1600m/s and is capable of penetrating the front hull (275 mm RHA) and turret (230 mm RHA) of a T-62 MBT at 2000 m.

If it can penetrate a T-62 but you could be right that it won't penetrate the frontal armor. Rear and sides are surely kills.
DSCF4702-768x432.jpg

Last edited:
Old uncles in Pakistan Army don't think creatively.

They only scramble to buy whatever used junk they can find on clearance when they are getting asses kicked by TTP or when India buys some shiny new toy to match it.
This could be done with an APC with Baktar-Shikan on top and maybe even a heavy IFV like the T-15.

We did not buy or develop IFV because of doctrine not financial constraints. Our battlefield experience shows us that Bradly or BMP type vehicles don't really add much to a formations firepower and actually reduce its flexibility.
We have had several HIT proposals for a IFV, but they have been rejected.
Israelis also don't go much for Bradly type vehicles.

We did not buy or develop IFV because of doctrine not financial constraints. Our battlefield experience shows us that Bradly or BMP type vehicles don't really add much to a formations firepower and actually reduce its flexibility.
We have had several HIT proposals for a IFV, but they have been rejected.
Israelis also don't go much for Bradly type vehicles.
And what about heavy IFVs? Israel uses a whole lot of those based off of the Merkava and they can take autocannon rounds which most other IFVs/ APCs can't take.

250-270 T-85 II.

Chinese did i think.

No

None.

None so far

Desert corridor.

Few T59 have been fed to T80UD and Al Khalid as targets during military exercises. I believe T59 fleet have two futures, either those which are in good shape will receive 2nd life in shape of AZ upgrade, or they will end up in target practise after staying in reserves for a long time.

As far as transforming them in other roles is concerned, it's better to convert them into Anti Tank missile carrier vehicles by integrating them with modern long range 3rd Gen ATGM to supplement TOW equipped M113 in our heavy anti tank regiments. But again, the price estimations are rough guess. If there is little difference in prices of converting T59 into ATGM carrier and buying a dedicated one, then it's better to buy news one and perhaps our T59 will remain as they are.

I do wish to see them converted into heavy IFV with awesome looking Turret with 30mm chain gun, mounted ATGM, variety of optics and add on armor, but it's price will out class the advantages it will give on battlefield. Our armored Doctrine don't offers space for heavy IFV.

Few T59 have been fed to T80UD and Al Khalid as targets during military exercises. I believe T59 fleet have two futures, either those which are in good shape will receive 2nd life in shape of AZ upgrade, or they will end up in target practise after staying in reserves for a long time.

As far as transforming them in other roles is concerned, it's better to convert them into Anti Tank missile carrier vehicles by integrating them with modern long range 3rd Gen ATGM to supplement TOW equipped M113 in our heavy anti tank regiments. But again, the price estimations are rough guess. If there is little difference in prices of converting T59 into ATGM carrier and buying a dedicated one, then it's better to buy news one and perhaps our T59 will remain as they are.

I do wish to see them converted into heavy IFV with awesome looking Turret with 30mm chain gun, mounted ATGM, variety of optics and add on armor, but it's price will out class the advantages it will give on battlefield. Our armored Doctrine don't offers space for heavy IFV.
For long range atgm, would it not make sense to have a cheaper platform like the VAMTAC or any other mrap or even humvee equiv if they are to supplement the tow? They will be further from the battle behind less ranged forces so likely hood of enemy attack on them quite less , only thing to worry about would be CAS but then again most CAS would also use long range atgm ( which can destroy any target) , if the CAS comes close enough to use its Mounted gun or rocket pod then since this Long range atgm carrier will be in 2nd or 3rd line , the CAS would most likely already be toast

Back
Top Bottom