What's new

What has Democracy solve for India? Lesson for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you discuss about Indian democracy, you only discuss the bad things about democracy? I haven't seen a single post from any of Chinese members mentioning merits of the same. And Indians keep on trying to defend democracy as they live in one..

When you discuss our democracy, doesn't our views count?

And why not come to India, ask the very poor you talking about whether they trade democracy to communism, you would get your answer loud and clear.

Also India is not lagging behind. It still is the second largest developing economy in the world and soon to be first. So please spare us your rhetoric.

By all indication the Naxalites have...or do they not count.

src_india_naxaldistricts.jpg

and no one here has asked you to abandon democracy.

By all indication the Naxalites have...or do they not count.

src_india_naxaldistricts.jpg

Okay Naxalites? How many? 8000-12000 in a 1.2 billion population. You gotta be kidding me? They are still alive because of democracy, if only they lived in a communist country, they would have been counting their stars in heaven..

Come up with a better example.

Also get a newer map..Naxalism is completely eliminated from Andhra pradesh..your map doesn't reflect that.. If only world didn't have the Mao and his stupid ideology..India would have been far better..

Or you're an idiot and don't have the self-awareness to realize it. Bubbles... everyone lives in one with the difference you are under the delusion that you are special and can claim absolute objectivity (which ironically contributes more to ignorance and stupidity than any other mindset in the world)

The master says "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"

mr. know it all.. read my posts on this thread & you will realise what i'm trying to say. i'm not saying that my system is better than your's. so don't try & tell me that your system works for me as well.

i'm merely saying to those people who seems to think that their kind of governance suits to rest of the world, that there are evils on any form of governance & no one is immuned from it.

next time when you jump in & grab a quote, pls make an effort to answer the same logically instead of behaving like a moronic kid..

Most of us haven't and that isn't what we are trying to say. We are saying that the people in this forum are unlikely to have experienced true poverty, the people living in true poverty are the people being hurt most by India's inefficient system. So the opinions of people here may not be representative of the whole of India.

As a side note. If people here feel we are indeed lecturing, they always has the option of simply not listening.

That was exactly the point in my sarcasm. If Indians HERE don't know how to uplift the poor BECAUSE they have not experienced true poverty, how on earth the chinese, who, by the way, also haven't experienced true poverty, knows what is right and what is wrong when it comes to poverty eradication.

And all these charts and excerpts means nothing. The point is that there are more hungry people in India now then in China. But then China has started to reap the benefits of her reform programme better because of her 15 years of headstart compared to India. But things were not like today in china 15 years back, or was it?

The point I want to make here is that all system has their advantages and disadvantages. Instead of Indians criticizing Chinese governance system and Chinese criticizing the Indian governace system, it would be of much greater advatage to the entire human race if we all try to discuss and bring out the good practices of each other and try to implement those to the extent possible.

Dick measurement contest is not going to help any poor anywhere, be it in India, Africa, America or China.

I'll ignore the last paragraph.

P.S.: For the record, I did grow up in a remote village when I was a scholl kid and I did work in the paddy fields and I did fish in the muddy ponds, in hot summer.

Last edited:
However, I do agree some of GOI's present rural upliftment schemes are ridiculus.

Since when we started to give the fish to the poor instead of teaching him how to fish. Aren't we supposed to be disciples of Chanakya?

Giving them money or subsidised food can only be a temporary solution. There are very few people working for a permanent solution. Govt is giving free health insurance, unemployment bonus for people under poverty level, subcidized rice, sugar, flour and lenteels, free meal to school kids in rural areas. But non of these are permanent solution. Also, these type of PDS schemes only encourages some corruption in various levels and syphoning of the free stuffs.

Lol at some Chinese who are pointing at India.
Behaving as if they themselve belong to a developed part.
China's Per capita is still pretty low.
That means there is a huge chunk of poverty in China as well.
Yes India also has it and has it more than China.
But you better look inside your own home and clean it up first.

You know it is really funny when a loser laughs at a loser.
:lol:

That was exactly the point in my sarcasm. If Indians HERE don't know how to uplift the poor BECAUSE they have not experienced true poverty, how on earth the chinese, who, by the way, also haven't experienced true poverty, knows what is right and what is wrong when it comes to poverty eradication.

And all these charts and excerpts means nothing. The point is that there are more hungry people in India now then in China. But then China has started to reap the benefits of her reform programme better because of her 25 years of headstart compared to India. But things were not like today in china 25 years back, or was it?

The point I want to make here is that all system has their advantages and disadvantages. Instead of Indians criticizing Chinese governance system and Chinese criticizing the Indian governace system, it would be of much greater advatage to the entire human race if we all try to discuss and bring out the good practices of each other and try to implement those to the extent possible.

Dick measurement contest is not going to help any poor anywhere, be it in India, Africa, America or China.

Is that true? Where did you get this figure?

India got its independence in August 1947, China was still in civil war at that time and didn't become independent until October 1949. India upon independence had one of the superior road and railway infrastructures in Asia from the British rule, China on the other hand was a mess from decades of unrest and war.

Just curious why you think China had a 25 year head start compared to India? Even if you are referring to the timetime both countries started their respective economic reforms -- China started in 1978 under Deng Xiao Ping and India started in 1991 under Rao's government, it doesn't take a PhD in maths to work out it's not a 25 year head start. Besides once you got your independent country, what you do and when you do it comes down to your own abilities, if China realised it had to reform 13 years earlier than India did in comparison, then that's fair play wouldn't you say?

That I completely agree!

Last edited:
Is that true? Where did you get this figure?

India got its independence in August 1947, China was still in civil war at that time and didn't become independent until October 1949. India upon independence had one of the superior road and railway infrastructures in Asia from the British rule, China on the other hand was a mess from decades of unrest and war.

Just curious why you think China had a 25 year head start compared to India? Even if you are referring to the timetime both countries started their respective economic reforms -- China started in 1978 under Deng Xiao Ping and India started in 1991 under Rao's government, it doesn't take a PhD in maths to work out it's not a 25 year head start. Besides once you got your independent country, what you do and when you do it comes down to your own abilities, if China realised it had to reform 13 years earlier than India did in comparison, then that's fair play wouldn't you say?

Very true. My bad, what I wanted to write was 15 years instead it came out 25 years.

That's the kind of fair play I want us to share with each other. That kind of wisdom from each other, if used in the correct context, will make us move faster towards our combined goal of HOMOGENEOUS development. Won't you agree?

There are many differences between the Indian democracy and some of the western models of democracy. I can enlist them, but maybe in some other appropriate thread. Every democratic system is tailored to suit its own country, mostly in the way the leadership is chosen after the local representatives are chosen by the people.

Campaigning is an important part of the democratic process. This gives us an insight to the visions of a particular candidate and their party. Of course some of the promises are in thin air, but apart from absolute apathy from the candidate there are several other reasons behind the non fulfillment of some of the promises... fund allocation being one of them since the money is limited and not everyone is able to fight for their cases at the center.

Again the democracy in the US is different than in India in reference to the corporate involvement and bullying. Indian politics has so far stayed out of corporate bullying. I agree with this part of your comment.

i disagree with campaigning. it turns into vote buying soon. we have a sort of limited democracy in theory that the communist party is open membership so if you're interested in government just join the party. the problem is that ordinary party members are usually completely powerless and the process to gain power is not transparent and it just becomes "inside trading" instead of "auctioning".

what we can see here is that in reality, for both countries, that theory and practice differ widely. the end result, however, is that our practice has deviated from ideal less than india's for some reason, and has produced better results so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom