What's new

What happened to ratings ?

After the forum didn't work for minutes,and then when it worked well,i have remarked that the ratings just disappeared,what happened ? @WebMaster @Horus @WAJsal @Slav Defence

Is that just a problem ? A new decision ?
It was a unreliable system anyway, not the content of a post was important anymore but the person who wrote it.

It was a unreliable system anyway, not the content of a post was important anymore but the person who wrote it.

Word. I'm guilty of this... don't care what it said, just that someone I like posted it or tagged me.

I do take a bit more care with my given right of assigning positive or negative ratings, but I'm more inclined not to give one then I am to do so, so I guess that's equally poorly designed or intentioned.

Once upon a time likes, + and - ratings seemed good, but it's abused too much.

There's even a thread to complain about ratings!!! That's how broken it is.

And I'm as much of a wh*re as the next person, but even I've enough standards not to peddle for likes or ratings.

That system sucked, and I hope it doesn't return, though it will as Webby said. Change the titles too to clean up useless or trollish holders, but for goodness sakes, do away with the ratings. People abuse them too much. Trolls get a lot of likes, good quality comments are ignored, it's more about who - or rather the nationality - of the comment than it is about the content.

The system is broke yo!

I hope they keep the "Thank" system and ditch the +ve/-ve system.

I second this. The thanks are fine, but +/- has been abused too much.

I have 57 + ratings, 0 negative and would gladly give them up if we could fix their abuse.

I hope they keep the "Thank" system and ditch the +ve/-ve system.

This is the only solution.

Keep the "thank" and remove the positive/negative rating system.

When people get negative ratings, it creates controversy. But if some Think Tank or Professional gives positive ratings, others will ask why some get positive ratings and others don't.

Get rid of the rating system altogether and just keep the 'thank' function.

It's a very simple solution with a bit of common sense used.

Rating system encourage members to post more researched posts and articles and the same way negative ratings quite effectively reduces troll posts.

Ya' do cut, copy and paste Job & tag Coffee to get + Ratings.

On Topic: Thanks & Ratings system has been abused on the Forum. They shouldn't come back. :cray:

Change and evolution is the continuous process and people welcome change for a short span of time. webby @WebMaster is innovative as well ....I can bet he is thinking about next move...:lol: ..... to maintain the decency and quality of the content on this forum......
@Technogaianist any valuable solution in your mind (other than rating system) ?

in my opinion, the +/- ratings and neutral thanks should exist but they should only be attached to the posts and not be recorded permanently for the poster.

the present view of member details beside the post is ideal - no showing of the count of ratings and thanks.

all tta's may not be unbiased or thoughtful when rating a member and i don't see the point of showing thanks count.

@WebMaster , my humble suggestion above.

Change and evolution is the continuous process and people welcome change for a short span of time. webby @WebMaster is innovative as well ....I can bet he is thinking about next move...:lol: ..... to maintain the decency and quality of the content on this forum......
@Technogaianist any valuable solution in your mind (other than rating system) ?

Ah crap, I didn't know I'd actually have to come up with anything. Thought complaining would be enough to galvanize someone else into taking action. I want to start a revolution, not fight one:D.

hqdefault.jpg

But seriously, there are some improvements that can be made. First, and even though you said, "other than the rating system" this one's the most obvious. As it stands, even if it's a mistake or error, a simple thanks is better than a like. +/- are abused beyond belief, even to the point that Slav Defense created an entire thread just so people could complain about them.

Add to that TTAs and Pros that don't even give +/- ratings, or those that only give them to certain nationalities or for certain content, and not just for quality or "above and beyond" contributions, and we've arrived at a purely broken system.

Speaking of TTAs and Pros, get rid of the dead-weight. Some TTAs and Pros have become trolls and no longer uphold the standards that saw them promoted in the first place. Some like syedali73 abdicate, others like 500 are pushed, still others like Chinese-Dragon and Asad71 cling to their titles while doing very little to justify them (sorry Chinese-Dragon, but like Armstrong, you know you're a troll).

If they don't contribute quality, they don't stay as title holders. And how would we vet title holders or initiate new ones? Perhaps ask the existing ones to vote, or even the rank and file PDF members. If people don't feel a person is upholding the criteria placed upon a TTA or Pro, then why promote that person to either status? That just increased the "brokenness" of the system and further entrenches peoples animosity towards the title system.

Or maybe we can assess their contributions on a monthly basis to determine whether or not their posts are qualitative. If not, put them on a probationary period and give them a chance to be qualitative. If they don't meet the standards or fail during this period, their title is removed.

Like ratings, the title system seems a bit broken to most of PDF's members, myself included.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom