What's new

what do you think of arranged marriages

how do you define success. Most women were not financially independent earlier, hence they had to remain in marriage. The statistic is wrong.

During earlier time, people used to live till 40s and get married when they are 13/14. That will require assistance obviously.
Now. people get married when they have seen the world, got a job, know what is good and bad for them.

There is a generation of difference between your view and your parent's views. They might consider factors which are important to them not to you.

Mate... I was joking.....

Arranged marriages seem to work out more than love marriages from my perspective....every love marriage i've known have ended in disaster .... and arranged marriages on the other hand seem to be working fine...

I think in our culture (I mean in the subcontinent) boys and girls don't grow up thinking seriously that they would find their spouses themselves. So mostly they don't get to know what qualities they are supposed to be looking for in their potential partners and usually fail to make a good choice.

Its not one rule for all it varies from person to person marriage be it love or arranged needs commitment and mental maturity from both parties involved.

Difficult to answer....

On the one hand I believe in true love but on the other hand, 99% of all more or less arranged marriages I know worked perfectly... and really supported the south Asian family culture, which is without doubt the strongest in the world.

Difficult to answer....

On the one hand I believe in true love but on the other hand, 99% of all more or less arranged marriages I know worked perfectly... and really supported the south Asian family culture, which is without doubt the strongest in the world.

Exactly my thoughts .

Arranged marriages are also practiced in Iran, and frankly, they are more successful than love marriages.

I think both should fall in love for at least 3 years, then decide whether to marry; my elder sister fall in love for 5 years, then they married; My younger sister fall in love for 4 years then married; I fall in love for 8 years with my wife then married; Are all very well family.
So I think should together for long times then decide whether are suit to marry

My fam's had a history of both love and arranged with varying levels of success. In the end imo in a brown family it all boils down to
1) how compatible the two people are
2) how compatible the girl is with the mother in law (if you're a guy)
3) how others are going to perceive your marriage.

Personally speaking (and going through it right now), it doesn't help when your fam is old fashioned and your better half happens to not be of the same race.....chuppa rustam ftw:disagree:

What a funny question.....tell me something :

1) do you choose your clothes or your parents do it for you.
2) Will you choose your career or will your parents do

Arranged marriage according to me ranks in the top list of epidemic that haunts the subcontinent.

I totally support arranged marriages.

Most people tend to choose partners out of lust not love which eventually fades hence the 50% divorce rates in every Western country I've seen while around 30% of relationships don't even end in marriage (ex. Australia). Love isn't built over a couple of dates or even a year of knowing someone.

As long as both parties agree to the marriage of their own free will it is the better option. You even have a plethora of websites that now pair you up with other clients based on personality profiles you fill out (though imo these should be filled out in consultation with friends/family rather than just by yourself) so the idea is catching on in the West.

Back
Top Bottom