What's new

What do you like the best about the other nation?

I'd be interested to know the relationship between Hinduism and Buddhism. :cheers:

I think the biggest difference is that Buddhism in it's purest form has no "Gods" in the true sense of the word, i.e. omnipotent beings. That's why many people describe Buddhism as a philosophy rather than a religion.

Well there is no one way in Hinduism as it's not a organized religion. There are many schools of thoughts.

read this if you're interested.
?stika and n?stika - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In modern Indian languages, 'āstika' and 'nāstika' generally mean 'theist' and 'atheist', respectively. But in Sanskrit philosophical literature, 'āstika' means 'one who believes in the authority of the Vedas' or 'one who believes in life after death'. ('nāstika' means the opposite of these). The word is used here in the first sense. In the second sense, even the Jaina and Buddha schools are 'āstika', as they believe in life after death. The six orthodox schools are 'āstika', and the Cārvāka is 'nāstika' in both the senses.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. :cheers:

I think there are a lot of similarities between Buddhism and Hinduism. Especially since they both originate in the Indian subcontinent.

Hinduism is an amalgam of many conflicting believes, philosophies. Strictly speaking it's not a religion as such.

Hinduism is an amalgam of many conflicting believes, philosophies.

Strictly speaking it's not a religion as such.

Same thing can be said about Buddhism.

Many Westerners refer to Buddhists as "atheists" because there is no "creator God" or "omnipotent deities" in the Buddhist philosophy.

Hindus also refer to Buddhism as "nāstika" which is similar to the way Westerners describe it, I would imagine.

Thanks for the link. :cheers:

I think there are a lot of similarities between Buddhism and Hinduism. Especially since they both originate in the Indian subcontinent.

you are correct..let me try..

1.both belive in karma
2.both belive in cycle of life and death
3.both ebelive inheaven and hell
4.bothe emphasize compassion and non violnce towards living beings
5.both belive in upper and lower worlds
6.both belive in existence of dieties on different planes
7.both belive in renunciation of worldy comforts to attain spiritual life (nirvana)
8.both havetheir own versions of tantra
9.both give importance to meditation (same )

on another note...

Buddha was known to mix well, with Brahmins of hinduism, as he thought that they were naturally spirtual bent of mind..infact many brahmins also took the buddhist way..

importantly..hindus also consider Buddhism as a part of their religon and still consider, that Buddha was an incarnation of Vishnu (after parahusram)...

Hindus also refer to Buddhism as "nāstika" which is similar to the way Westerners describe it, I would imagine.

Nastika is not Atheism. First of all, those who don't believe in any creator or God are hindus just like those who believe in God. It's just another school of thoughts. As far as I know there's no place for atheists in Abrahamic religions.

In non-technical usage, the term astika is sometimes loosely translated as "theist" while nastika is translated as "atheist". However this interpretation is distinct from the use of the term in Hindu philosophy. Notably even among the astika schools, samkhya and the early mimamsa school do not accept a God (see Atheism in Hinduism) while accepting the authority of the Vedas; they thus are "atheistic astika schools"

In modern Indian languages, 'āstika' and 'nāstika' generally mean 'theist' and 'atheist', respectively. But in Sanskrit philosophical literature, 'āstika' means 'one who believes in the authority of the Vedas' or 'one who believes in life after death'. ('nāstika' means the opposite of these). The word is used here in the first sense. In the second sense, even the Jaina and Buddha schools are 'āstika', as they believe in life after death. The six orthodox schools are 'āstika', and the Cārvāka is 'nāstika' in both the senses.

So strickly speaking Buddism comes into Astika school of thoughts, not Nastika.

Also read : Atheism in Hinduism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you are correct..let me try..

1.both belive in karma
2.both belive in cycle of life and death
3.both ebelive inheaven and hell
4.bothe emphasize compassion and non violnce towards living beings
5.both belive in upper and lower worlds
6.both belive in existence of dieties on different planes
7.both belive in renunciation of worldy comforts to attain spiritual life (nirvana)
8.both havetheir own versions of tantra
9.both give importance to meditation (same )

on another note...

Buddha was known to mix well, with Brahmins of hinduism, as he thought that they were naturally spirtual bent of mind..infact many brahmins also took the buddhist way..

importantly..hindus also consider Buddhism as a part of their religon and still consider, that Buddha was an incarnation of Vishnu (after parahusram)...

Very good list. :cheers:

Thank you for the hard work in making this list my friend!

Yes I saw in the above link that Hindus consider Buddhists to be "nāstika" which is also a part of Hinduism.

Nastika is not Atheism. First of all, those who don't believe in any creator or God are hindus just like those who believe in God. It's just another school of thoughts.

Ah I see, I must have read it wrong.

What about those who do not believe in "Gods" at all in Buddhism?

Very good list. :cheers:

Thank you for the hard work in making this list my friend!

Yes I saw in the above link that Hindus consider Buddhists to be "nāstika" which is also a part of Hinduism.

no dragon, Nastika in hinduism means non beliver in the creator or god...the reason for that might be as I can think of is because there has been conflict of thoughts among hinduism and buddhist inthe past , as Hindus consider buddhists an offspring of hinduism and also because Gautam Buddha was a hindu by birth...but the buddhist thought this to be a differnt ideology altogether...so they wre considered Nastika for denouncing their original faith..(as I said, Hinuds considered Buddha as incarnation of Hindu god,Vishnu)..anyhow, mostly both the religion mixed well and co-existed peacefully and complimented each other..

It's wrong. Brahmins saw Budhha as rival to their power at first and then they assimilated Budhhism to Hinduism to curb it's influence. Budhha attracted people from all societies. From Gandhar to Lanka.

Ah I see, I must have read it wrong.

What about those who do not believe in "Gods" at all in Buddhism?

They are Atheistic astika school of thought. See there's no identical word of Atheism if Hinduism as Hinduism didn't saw it as a separate identity or belief.

no dragon, Nastika in hinduism means non beliver in the creator or god...the reason for that might be as I can think of is because there has been conflict of thoughts among hinduism and buddhist inthe past , as Hindus consider buddhists an offspring of hinduism and also because Gautam Buddha was a hindu brahmin by birth...but the buddhist thought this to be a differnt ideology altogether...so they wre considered Nastika for denouncing their original faith..(as I said, Hinuds considered Buddha as incarnation of Hindu god,Vishnu)..anyhow, mostly both the religion mixed well and co-existed peacefully and complimented each other..

OK I am slightly confused about the meaning of "nāstika" but I will do some reading and come back. :cheers:

It's wrong. Brahmins saw Budhha as rival to their power at first and then they assimilated Budhhism to Hinduism to curb it's influence. Budhha attracted people from all societies. From Gandhar to Lanka.

you did not get me..Brahmins aopposed buddhism initially and they also had conflict of thoughts on this (i mentioned in my earlier post),but Buddha had an inclination towards the Brahmins and Khsatriyas...infact certain categories of brahmins had free acces to buddha and many were also admitted into monastic discipline without being subject to probation, which was compulsory for all other class of people.

Back
Top Bottom