What's new

What can China learn from India ?

Soft power.

India is much better at projecting an image on its own terms to the outside world than China is.

The two major global opinion polls would disagree with you. (I.e. The BBC Country Rating polls and the Pew Global research polls.)

Both rank China miles ahead of India in terms of global positive views.

You could say those major polls are biased. But why would they be biased in favour of China and biased against India?

I guess

I) freedom to citizens.
2) free press
3) Transparency and accountability

The two major global opinion polls would disagree with you. (I.e. The BBC Country Rating polls and the Pew Global research polls.)

You could say those major polls are biased. But why would they be biased in favour of China and biased against India?

In terms of soft power, India is way way ahead of China. No comparison

Democracy

and second thing to learn for whole world Secularism.

The polls probably reflect respect for China's ancient culture as well as the modern success story; China's success is more visible than India's.

As for soft power, the disparity is most obvious in expats. Indian expats are very active in Western media, whereas Chinese expats are much less visible: Taiwanese/HKers being more active than Mainlanders.

In some way, this mirrors the level of press freedom back home. It seems to inculcate an appreciation for the power of the media as well as the sophisticated art of propaganda. People from countries with limited press freedom automatically assume that the average citizen must be on the passive, receiving end of the media, rather than having active control in what is being said.

India's economy right now is a case study in what we should NOT be doing.

India is at an early phase of development, where double-digit growth should be easy, but instead they have fallen to 4.9% growth. Even their beloved Western Credit Ratings agencies are all on the verge of downgrading them to junk status.

We have a lot to learn from India, i.e. how to avoid the mistakes that they are making right now.

The lessons are to never let fiscal/budget deficit spiral out of control, never to have such a high debt-to-GDP ratio (India's is higher than Spain) while still being a developing economy. And we should learn never to let our currency reserves fall lower than our external debt, and we should never rack up a continuous trade deficit year after year. And we should never let our currency crash to such a level as the Rupee has, and we should never commit to reforms only to backtrack on them later.

In terms of economic growth India grew by 5.3 % and 5.5 % during the last two quarters which was the lowest in the last decade, I dont know from where this figure of 4.7 popped up.

To be precise Indian public debt is 68 % of economy which is fine, compared with others in the globe, I find your comparison with Spain interesting which is nothing more than a stagnated economy.

Gross debt is 289 billion while reserves are at 288 billion, for a minute I was like what did I miss. This is nuthing diabolical given the difference is too minute.

Rs is standing at 53 Rs not the worst scenario given the avg is 45.

Few days ago India opened its doors to few reforms like in retail and finance, the updated situation will be better next time than it, i can only assume.

In terms of economic growth India grew by 5.3 % and 5.5 % during the last two quarters which was the lowest in the last decade, I dont know from where this figure of 4.7 popped up.

To be precise Indian public debt is 68 % of economy which is fine, compared with others in the globe, I find your comparison with Spain interesting which is nothing more than a stagnated economy.

Gross debt is 289 billion while reserves are at 288 billion, for a minute I was like what did I miss. This is nuthing diabolical given the difference is too minute.

Rs is standing at 53 Rs not the worst scenario given the avg is 45.
Few days ago India opened its doors to few reforms like in retail and finance, the updated situation will be better next time than it, i can only assume.
Can you introduce more about retail and finance reform ? What kind of retail is running now ? Does India not have big retail company ?

Can you introduce more about retail and finance reform ? What kind of retail is running now ? Does India not have big retail company ?

India has scores of retail biggies. There was a lot of resistance in the initial stages of reform. The problem here was not about the absence of a retail firm, but rather the apprehension and irrational fear that Fdi would take away the jobs of millions of small traders. There is a truth to this fear, because companies like Walmart and IKEA are not willing to completely source their production from India. Nevertheless, most educated Indians feel that the government has pulled off a coup by introducing these reforms. Going by the current politico-economic climate, I'd say that a lot more of these reforms are in the offing.

Last month the government cleared Fdi in the following sectors:

Retail :

Multi brand : 51%
Single brand : 100 %

Aviation: 49 %

Insurance : 49%

Media : 74%

With the clearing of Fdi in retail, India has virtually sealed it's position as the 2nd largest consumer market for goods in the growing world after China. Companies like Walmart, IKEA, Apple, Carrefour , Metro and Decathlon have major plans for India. The issues related to product-sourcing and dependence on local labour are however in a state of limbo at his moment.

you guys forgot about 1 thing.

indian private companies that were born 20 years ago and did spectacularly well despite the legendary indian bureaucracy and red tape
just found this vid on youtube

:lol: source please

Last edited by a moderator:
India has scores of retail biggies. There was a lot of resistance in the initial stages of reform. The problem here was not about the absence of a retail firm, but rather the apprehension and irrational fear that Fdi would take away the jobs of millions of small traders. There is a truth to this fear, because companies like Walmart and IKEA are not willing to completely source their production from India. Nevertheless, most educated Indians feel that the government has pulled off a coup by introducing these reforms. Going by the current politico-economic climate, I'd say that a lot more of these reforms are in the offing.

Last month the government cleared Fdi in the following sectors:

Retail :

Multi brand : 51%
Single brand : 100 %

Aviation: 49 %

Insurance : 49%

Media : 74%

With the clearing of Fdi in retail, India has virtually sealed it's position as the 2nd largest market for goods in the growing world after China. Companies like Walmart, IKEA, Apple, Carrefour , Metro and Decathlon have major plans for India. The issues related to product-sourcing and dependence on local labour are however in a state of limbo at his moment.
So will Walmart, IKEA go into India ? What time are they going to open ? They already did in China for a long time.

Unity in Diversity

if you travel just 200 Km Language, Color, avg height, facial features, food habits, culture, sect, religion and many more social/physical attribute changes still we are a single entity since last 65 years

So will Walmart, IKEA go into India ? What time are they going to open ? They already did in China for a long time.

Yup, in 2 years ...they plan to have a presence in almost every major tier-1 and tier-2 city within the next 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom