What's new

What BVR misisles India Uses?

R-77, R-23 and the Mica which has recently come online.
indian Account general 2014(correction in year needed) reports showed the R-77 stock having shelflife and reliability issues which has led them to prefer the R-23 due to their familiarity with it
IAF has never operated R23, I think you mean R27's.

Yes. Thanks for the correction.
Although I was under the impression(unrelated) that the Mig-23 variants did have R-23s equipped in the 80s?
They did not, Indian Mig23's were armed with R60's and at later stage received small lot of R40, which never got operational on the Mig23 but were mated to Mig25's. When the promised R40's did not materialize in Mig23's, which was almost 5 years down the line, IAF received first batches of R27T missiles for the Mig23MF.

They did not, Indian Mig23's were armed with R60's and at later stage received small lot of R40, which never got operational on the Mig23 but were mated to Mig25's. When the promised R40's did not materialize in Mig23's, which was almost 5 years down the line, IAF received first batches of R27T missiles for the Mig23MF.
I remember reading an account of a IAF Mig-23 pilot regarding tactics to be used against PAF F-16s which involved firing volleys of BVR missiles which while inaccurate would force the vipers to expend energy that the Migs would then exploit during the merge.
Hence I assumed he was referring to the R-23

I remember reading an account of a IAF Mig-23 pilot regarding tactics to be used against PAF F-16s which involved firing volleys of BVR missiles which while inaccurate would force the vipers to expend energy that the Migs would then exploit during the merge.
Hence I assumed he was referring to the R-23
one Passive and one active on radar tone with constant illumination, unlike R77, mica or AIM120, r27's were not LOAL missiles and needed constant illumination like the AIM7 Sparrow. MF would carry Two Passive, two active and two R60's.

Not commission yet. The missile is just like their LCA. Keep delay and delay. Even enter service, it will take a long time for it to mature.

Not a long time. Astra mark 1 is under LSP, of which IAF ordered 50. These use foreign seeker, what is being tested now is mark 1 with Indian seeker. Actually, the program went fast after it's re-design.

david’s sling missile maybe??
If nasr missiles of pakistan or HQ-16 missiles can be converted to A to A missiles then why not David's sling missile system.

I love the name David's sling . David peace be upon him one of my favourite Persons. The sling has an interesting story and philosophy of itself.

If nasr missiles of pakistan or HQ-16 missiles can be converted to A to A missiles then why not David's sling missile system.

I love the name David's sling . David peace be upon him one of my favourite Persons. The sling has an interesting story and philosophy of itself.
DS is not what you think it is:
stunner-580x514.jpg

it weights almost 100, it's speed is 7.5 mach and uses dual IR/semi-active guidance and it's range is 300kms.

DS is not what you think it is:
View attachment 547480
it weights almost 100, it's speed is 7.5 mach and uses dual IR/semi-active guidance and it's range is 300kms.
That image shows 5 different missiles , python 5, derby , python mr , Stunner etc

Which one are you suggesting? Which one has 160 km+ range?

Python 5 = 20 km range
Derby = 54 km range
Derby MR/ER = 100 km range
Stunner = 160 km range.

I don't see 300 km range missile in those 5 missiles you posted above ....

Last edited:
That image shows 5 different missiles , python 5, derby , python mr , Stunner etc

Which one are you suggesting? Which one has 160 km+ range?

Python 5 = 20 km range
Derby = 54 km range
Derby MR/ER = 100 km range
Stunner = 160 km range.

I don't see 300 km range missile in those 5 missiles you posted above ....
raytheon refers DS as stunner. some sources say stunners range is 300km and israel intentionally state it's range 160km.

raytheon refers DS as stunner. some sources say stunners range is 300km and israel intentionally state it's range 160km.
Technically any single phase missile above 100 km range can be upgraded to 300 km ish range via use of dual or tripple phase motors.

Just like chinese are doing with PL -15 and PL-21

Its a matter of time before they start making them air to air instead of surface to air

Back
Top Bottom