What's new

What Are You Listening to Right Now - Round 2

alright this is cool - released for independence day this is probably among the few nationalist hip-hop songs out there celebrating Pakistan, plenty of pop, and rock nationalist songs but never hip hop

lyrics are dope too like always @_NOBODY_, highlighting the resilient and gritty nature of Pakistani people
@Great Janjua @Valiant @fitpOsitive

Last edited:

alright this is cool - released for independence day this is probably among the few nationalist hip-hop songs out there celebrating Pakistan, plenty of pop, and rock nationalist songs but never hip hop

lyrics are dope too like always @_NOBODY_, highlighting the resilient and gritty nature of Pakistani people
@Great Janjua @Valiant @fitpOsitive
Not my type but still it was a new experience.

Connections that happen from nowhere

I wanted to post pictures of the beautiful and sexy actress Amrapali Dubey who works in Bhojpuri cinema ( North India ) and was reminded of a beautiful song called 'Tumhe yaad karte karte jaayegi rayn saari' ( In wait for you the night will pass ) from the 1966 film Amrapali. The song is a beautiful, in fact exquisite arrangement of Indian classical music so watch it. But then I was curious about the film itself and though I knew a bit about it being a history based one I didn't know the details so read the Wikipedia entry for it and found that wow it is set 2500 years ago or so during the lifetime of Gautama Buddha and is an anti-war film which connected with me :
Amrapali is a 1966 historical Hindi film directed by Lekh Tandon, starring Sunil Dutt and Vyjayanthimala as leads. The film's music was by Shankar–Jaikishan.

It was based on the life of Amrapali (Ambapali), the nagarvadhu (royal courtesan) of Vaishali in present-day Bihar, the capital of the Licchavi republic in ancient India around 500 BC, and Ajatashatru, the Haryanka dynasty king of the Magadha empire, who falls in love with her. Although he destroys Vaishali to get her, she has been transformed by her encounter with Gautama Buddha in the meantime, of whom she becomes a disciple and an Arahant. Her story is mentioned in old Pali texts and Buddhist traditions.

The film was selected as the Indian entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 39th Academy Awards, but was not accepted as a nominee. Although the film was not a commercial success, its reputation has grown over time and it is now regarded as a classic of Hindi cinema. It is remembered for its dramatic war scenes, distinctive costumes by Bhanu Athaiya and strong anti-war sentiment.

Shah Rukh Khan's Red Chillies Entertainment own the rights to the film.
His hunger for conquest not satiated, even after repeated victories, Samrat Ajaatshatru (Sunil Dutt) of Magadh would like to continue on his winning spree, as the only unconquered city is that of Vaishali (ancient city). His astrologers forewarn him; his Senapati (Prem Nath) cautions him that his army is tired and needs to rest; his very own mother refuses to let take part in any war - but he refuses to listen to anyone and hastens to war - which leads to subsequent defeat at the hands of the Vaishali army. Wounded, lost, and on the run from enemy soldiers, Ajaatshatru dons the guise of a Vaishali soldier and takes shelter with a woman named Amrapali (Vyjayanthimala). She nurses him back to health but Amrapali doesn't know that he is the Ajatashatru of Magadh yet they fall in love with each other.

Ajatashatru finds an ally in Senapati Badbadhra Singh (K. N. Singh) and both start to plot against Vaishali - this time by reducing the number of soldiers, making them addicted to alcohol, poor training methods, and poor pay - thus demoralizing them, and paving the way for an easy victory for Magadh. Amrapali, winning a dance competition, is crowned the Rajnarthaki (Royal Dancer) of Vaishali. She is known to everyone as a true patriot. One day, she finds out that the soldier she loves is none other than Ajatashatru. Being a true patriot, she breaks all ties with him and tells him to never see her again. Heartbroken, she tells the ruler of Vaishali that she would like to leave the position of Rajnarthaki. The members of the court put pressure on her and everyone finds out that she had fallen in love with Ajatashatru and declare her as a traitor.

The ruler of Vaishali sentences her to life in a dungeon and orders to kill her on a full moon night. Ajaatshatru, who is enraged to hear this, gathers his army, and storms the unsuspecting people of Vaishali and virtually burns the city down, killing almost everyone in it. He then rushes to free his beloved from the dungeons. He does set her free - but it is not the same Amrapali - this Amrapali is quite different and not at all thrilled to be in the presence of her conqueror lover. She is taken by him to the battlefield and is shown everyone he killed just to get her. She is horrified to see so much bloodshed. She tells she can't live like this anymore and surrenders herself to Gautama Buddha. Ajatashatru also follows her and surrenders himself.
This reminds me of one bit from the Dune books. In it as the ruler of planet Dune / Arrakis leads a jihad across the worlds where humans reside one of his Fremen soldiers is on a world conquered by him and his comrades in the name of Paul and his leadership of the Fremen religion that he has adopted and evolved. The soldier is at a river with his co-fighters and he is drinking from the river and cleaning his face and hands and in front of him in the river passes a bloodied and dead defender of the planet on a log. The invading soldier realizes something and is cured of the jihad.

And now to lovely Amrapali I wanted to post. Bhojpuri cinema is primarily in Bihar where she is from and her name must have been inspired from the original Amrapali. Halal pics only :
MV5BODk2YmM3NTctNDE2NS00MWZmLWE3NjItNmY1YzUwODRhMzc4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDAzNDk0MTQ@._V1_.jpg

amrapali-dubey-upcoming-movies-filmography-poster-release-date-star-cast-mt-wiki-2017.jpg

---

@SIPRA @Joe Shearer @Goenitz @Mentee @fitpOsitive @Bilal9 @Indos @Sainthood 101 @KedarT @vishwambhar @DrJekyll
@Valiant @Great Janjua @Foinikas

@Sharma Ji, do they teach this story at the "Buddhism" classes whose students are the warmongering code monkeys and finance backoffice workers for Wall Street in Bangalore, Pune, Gurgaon, Hyderabad and Madras ?

@Apollon

the most UK Pakistani song ever, hairstyle stereotypically UK Pakistani,
music beats also sound very 2000s UK Pakistani - I wished they get better with the beats though as it sounds kinda old
Nah certainly not the type of music I like. I hate what the British Pakistani community has come to it's a big facepalm. But not my type sorry.

Alright so here's another thread to share the music you men are "listening" to.

No more skanky stuff, or this gets locked up for good too and some of you will be sent on a long, long, long leave.
tick tick of clock

Nah certainly not the type of music I like. I hate what the British Pakistani community has come to it's a big facepalm. But not my type sorry.
yall were making good music in the 2000s but not now - I don't know the reason

Back
Top Bottom