What's new

What Are You Listening to Right Now - Round 2

Beautiful Pakistani Punjabi song
These are more urban/pop songs
What I noticed is Punjabi songs here are mostly soft/relaxed while Indian ones are loud (I like that too,sounds good)
And that's historical Thier old school songs are also kinda loud, just like the modern ones
While both folk and modern songs here are on the softer side
I don't know the reason for this but this is an interesting phenomen I noticed over the years

The song is good and still South Asian style music can be seen there, yup I like this kind of song

This Indonesian male singer, English written song. He is singing live in here

How? This song is on the pop side not classical
I can't find any classical South Asian influence in this

How? This song is on the pop side not classical
I can't find any classical South Asian influence in this

Still South Asian style can be heard,

Indonesian songs in the mean time is divided into several segment, there is really westernized ones like what I like to post

But inside our people, there are still segment with localized style of music

Like this Minang ethnic song, typical Minang style of music

Sunda ethnic song

They dont use Indonesian language, but their own language

---------------------------------------

Compare to this one which is totally pop song, language is Indonesian

Language ka difference ha isliye eastern and western Punjabi
Probably, our dialects have become softer due to influences from the east
This song was made for teenage girls 😁
But I like it- sounds catchy

Last edited:
The song is good and still South Asian style music can be seen there, yup I like this kind of song

This Indonesian male singer, English written song. He is singing live in here

Another song he made telling about his relationship with his mother, again written in English

Perfect English accent by the singer Mikha, doesn't feel like that's an Indonesian singing it.

Perfect English accent by the singer Mikha, doesn't feel like that's an Indonesian singing it.

Well I think it is because Indonesian language is quite a neutral language, just like Dutch and German. All sounds in English spoken can be found in Indonesian language. Urdu and Bengali I also think is similar, but language like Vietnamese, Thai, and Chinese IMO is rather difficult for their native speakers to use English, except if they spend a lot of time in US or Britain.

Unlike India, Malaysia, Singapore, and Hongkong, we use Indonesian speaking mostly in our every day life, English is only used in professional work in written form. This make English speakers dont get local influence like how Hongkong, Singaporean, and Malaysian, despite Malaysian English I feel better than Hongkongers and Singaporean English since Malay language is rather more neutral than Mandarin. My sister for instant can speak English both in US and British accent despite she is educated in Indonesia fully and never live in Western countries ( only for short period of time like 1 week )

This is another English written song made by Indonesian and sung by Indonesian singers

Last edited:
These are more urban/pop songs
What I noticed is Punjabi songs here are mostly soft/relaxed while Indian ones are loud (I like that too,sounds good)
And that's historical Thier old school songs are also kinda loud, just like the modern ones
While both folk and modern songs here are on the softer side
I don't know the reason for this but this is an interesting phenomen I noticed over the years
The one take shot in Cold World is neat.

When you say the old songs are loud, are you referring to Punjabi or Hindi ones?

That's an interesting perspective about Indian Punjabi songs being loud because I too feel the same and even though I can't compare with Pakistani Punjabi songs but from the ones that you have shared, they are definitely towards the lighter side. But there are many towards the softer side, for example this Punjabi song is on the softer side has become very popular from the movie 'Shershaah'. Other songs from the same movie are also good.

Well I think it is because Indonesian language is quite a neutral language, just like Dutch and German. All sounds in English spoken can be found in Indonesian language. Urdu and Bengali I also think is similar, but language like Vietnamese, Thai, and Chinese IMO is rather difficult for their native speakers to use English, except if they spend a lot of time in US or Britain.

Unlike India, Malaysia, Singapore, and Hongkong, we use Indonesian speaking mostly in our every day life, English is only used in professional work in written form. This make English speakers dont get local influence like how Hongkong, Singaporean, and Malaysian, despite Malaysian English I feel better than Hongkongers and Singaporean English since Malay language is rather more neutral than Mandarin. My sister for instant can speak English both in US and British accent despite she is educated in Indonesia fully and never live in Western countries ( only for short period of time like 1 week )

This is another English written song made by Indonesian and sung by Indonesian singers
Your post forced me to research a bit on the language dynamics in Indonesia and I found two interesting articles:

The NY Times articles fully echoes what is currently happening in India with regards to our local languages vis-a-vis English🙁

The one take shot in Cold World is neat.

When you say the old songs are loud, are you referring to Punjabi or Hindi ones?

That's an interesting perspective about Indian Punjabi songs being loud because I too feel the same and even though I can't compare with Pakistani Punjabi songs but from the ones that you have shared, they are definitely towards the lighter side. But there are many towards the softer side, for example this Punjabi song is on the softer side has become very popular from the movie 'Shershaah'. Other songs from the same movie are also good.

Song is Hindi though dude... :undecided:
I was referring to older folk songs, don't. know many older hindi songs tbvh, I heard a couple but not many
This one is a classic though- one of the best south Asian songs out there imo, especially due to lyrics can be considered among top 3-5 romantic songs out there in Hindi/Urdu songs (from what little I heard)
I think like brass knuckles said it has to do with accents, dialects
Here dialects can be on the softer side while closer to border areas it's standard accent
For example
This is dialect near KP border so it's very sweet and soft spoken
This one is way on the other side near Hindi speaking areas
Near Indian border folk songs are similar and tone is similar which is considered standard accent - majha accent - this is where songs are on the loud side
From that region folk songs were on the loud side called bhangra - but unlike India modern/urban songs here didn't carry that legacy of folk songs and have become largely jazz, pop - so a softer

I think it's mix of accents here a bit soft and also modern music shunned the folk legacy (except for ofcourse if you're a bhangra singer) and have just followed regular soft style music popular elsewhere

What I like here is that it's not one dimensional you can get standard accent, bhangra.music and also jazzy/pop/urban type of music
You get more choices

Last edited:
Song is Hindi though dude... :undecided:
I don't know...it could be a mix because I feel that there are many Punjabi words added in it like 'rabba', 'ranjha', 'lagave', etc.
I was referring to older folk songs, don't. know many older hindi songs tbvh, I heard a couple but not many
This one is a classic though- one of the best south Asian songs out there imo, especially due to lyrics can be considered among top 3-5 romantic songs out there in Hindi/Urdu songs (from what little I heard)
Agreed.
Here dialects can be on the softer side while closer to border areas it's standard accent
For example
This is dialect near KP border so it's very sweet and soft spoken
This one is way on the other side near Hindi speaking areas
Near Indian border folk songs are similar and tone is similar which is considered standard accent - majha accent - this is where songs are on the loud side
From that region folk songs were on the loud side called bhangra - but unlike India modern/urban songs here didn't carry that legacy of folk songs and have become largely jazz, pop - so a softer

I think it's mix of accents here a bit soft and also modern music shunned the folk legacy (except for ofcourse if you're a bhangra singer) and have just followed regular soft style music popular elsewhere

What I like here is that it's not one dimensional you can get standard accent, bhangra.music and also jazzy/pop/urban type of music
You get more choices
Ooh, thanks for sharing your views. From the songs you posted, it definitely feels that there is a change in the dialect although it's still very difficult for me to differentiate accurately since I'm not a Punjabi. Since there's no Indian Punjabi on this forum apart from @Brar , who isn't very active, I'll take your word for it. There's a difference in the production quality between Indian and Pakistani songs but that's bound to happen because the Indian film and music industry is huge. It's like comparing regional movie industries of India with Bollywood, there's no competition currently.
Regardless, there are plenty Indian Punjabi songs that are jazzy/pop, case in point this one. Again, I'm assuming this is Punjabi because many words definitely don't look like Hindi.

And for some reason, I like the music in this😂

What a cool song my all time favorite..... and especially right now its really cool when I am having ice chilled beer to celebrate 31st..... Thanks....
Happy New Year and be careful with the drinks!😜

There was a large migration though, most of the urban Indian Punjab have considerable population migrating from Salt range and beyond. Indian Sikhs even coined name for their strange dialect "Bhappa Sikhs", it became a synonym with Khatri caste as most of the migrating were Khatris. So, I think simply a dialect difference is not sufficient to account for the hypothetical phenomenon.
I would say that it is combination of many factors including but not limited to degree of westernization, dialect, culture, urban/rural divide, genre etc.
Bohemia (Pakistani guy) started Hip-Hop in South Asia and I would categorize all of his songs as "hard".
Or say Imran Khan,

On the other hand there are some soft Indian Punjabi singers like,

Back
Top Bottom