What's new

What Are You Listening to Right Now - Round 2

Zimmer is a legend of his own. I remember a lot of his earlier stuff too, like the Rock theme, the opening of the movie with the theme not afraid to boldly show its defining notes (while a Marine Brigadier General, chest full of medals and the memories of the injustice his boys faced that haunt him...that you cant help but root for him past even the protagonists).... still sends shivers down my spine....dayum!:

@Desert Fox @VCheng @James Jaevid @jhungary @Vibrio @Vergennes @waz

You can see how Zimmer only grew and grew and never looked back! He gives even John Williams some tough competition I would say.

Zimmer is a legend of his own. I remember a lot of his earlier stuff too, like the Rock theme, the opening of the movie with the theme not afraid to boldly show its defining notes (while a Marine Brigadier General, chest full of medals and the memories of the injustice his boys faced that haunt him...that you cant help but root for him past even the protagonists).... still sends shivers down my spine....dayum!:

@Desert Fox @VCheng @James Jaevid @jhungary @Vibrio @Vergennes @waz

You can see how Zimmer only grew and grew and never looked back! He gives even John Williams some tough competition I would say.
Has a resemblance to another Hans Zimmer song, especially in the beginning

Has a resemblance to another Hans Zimmer song, especially in the beginning

Yeah lot of the greats tend to recycle/reinterpret/reuse their own underlying themes a bit (or a lot depending).

I note a lot of recurring themes among Star Wars (esp the imperial march theme), E.T theme, Home alone theme and Harry Potter theme w.r.t John Williams. Certain stuff sticks in their deeper musical creativity...much like it did with Beethoven, Handel, Brahms, Liszt, Borodin etc. Heck Zimmer tends to do lot of repetitive counterpoint much like Philip Glass (not that its a bad thing, its just a style/personality that has its own aesthetic to it....in fact Glass considers Mozart a big influence and I can see why).

The higher "floatier" dynamic variance/breadth types like Mozart, Schubert, Tchaikovsky, Bach and Vivaldi (and arguably taken to its zenith by Chopin) are more like Danny Elfman, Elmer Bernstein and Thomas Newman etc imo.

Wagner is the only one I found that can straddle both "realms" (static vs dynamic themes across full body of works) pretty effortlessly...Schubert, Mozart and Beethoven to large degree as well.

@RAMPAGE @Joe Shearer @Jungibaaz

Hans' style never fails to deliver though, repetitive and perhaps simple it may be, but it hits the spot. I went to a concert of his in London last year, he had a nice group with him and they played pretty much everything he's well known for. At the concert he announced that he'd be donating the proceeds to the victims of the Grenfell Tower fire.

She finally did it! (one of my all time favourite songs), Vk is awesome!:

You really are a kindred member, I've been following Vika too for years, it seems she has covered half of my playlist.

I'm going to suggest you listen to a few piano covers by this guy, completely different style, Vika is more energetic while very much on tempo. He is big on ambience and his own interpretations.

Back
Top Bottom