What's new

What Are You Listening to Right Now - Round 2

@Joe Shearer
My father is a big fan of SD Burman and we used to have an old HMV cassette of movie Bandini. That was my first introduction of rural bangla music and whilst the songs aren't baul music in true sense, they were influenced heavily.
To this day i still wonder how you can create a magical piece of music from so little instruments.

Baul music and Bengali folk? They are overlapping sets. Lalon is Baul; he's also folk. Besides Baul, another category, with the oarsman's swing built in, is Bhatiali. If you want to listen to a really wide selection of folk, listen to Nirmalendu Chaudhuri. He was kind of one of my father's 'discoveries', back in the day. Nasal voice, had a reasonable range, to start with, but his terrible insecurity made him sing three to four times more than he should have. By the time he died, at a very young age, his voice had fallen off very sadly.

When he was singing in his glory days, particularly to a small group in someone's home, it was sheer magic. He was Sylheti, and sang a lot of Hasan Roja and Eklim Roja; I don't know anybody else who did. Probably Bangladeshi connoisseurs might be able to tell us.

This is the Peter O'Toole number:

"As I walk along, wob along the street at Monte Carlo
With an independent air,
I hear the girls declare,
He's the millionaire
He's the man who broke the bank at Monte Carlo...."

I guess my age is showing......

It isn't that I just listen to 20s and 30s music. Here's my favourite from Mozart. This was almost his last instrumental piece before the infamous unfinished Requiem (there was a brilliant Quintet in between). I feel sure, listening to his Second Movement, that he was aware that he would die shortly; it is sublime.

I gues I've lost the last of my friends, with that selection of off-track music.
Didnt know that one can lose a friend by one's choice of music.
You live in the wrong century.:sarcastic:
Bolero from Ravel,Fur elise from Beethoven and thats about it.

Didnt know that one can lose a friend by one's choice of music.
You live in the wrong century.:sarcastic:
Bolero from Ravel,Fur elise from Beethoven and thats about it.

Humph! I was not allowed to play opera at home - when I had a home.

Both Bolero and Fuer Elise are favourites, but have you tried The Rage over a Lost Penny?

She's playing it at a slower tempo than I would have wished. Didn't have the time to listen to a broader selection and get a faster tempo.

And just as I wrote that, I got the one:

See what I mean? It's so Beethoven, going nuts over a penny. You know the stories of how his friends got him to play, although he would stalk into their homes grimly determined not to touch the keyboard. They just left him alone in a room with a piano, walking in and out, but giving him plenty of time to look again and again at the instrument, then run his fingers over the 'board, then plink out a few notes, then sit down and pick out a tune, and before you knew it, he was away.

He used to earn a living playing in piano competitions, and apparently shattered more than one instrument with the vigour of his playing.

Last edited:
A niche genre, called Black Metal. Darkthrone, Burzum and Mayhem. The trio. This one is my favourite album.
Not everyone's cup of tea and neither is it or can it be an acquired taste. Either it works for you or it doesnt.

Judas Priest's Jugulator. Not their best album but definitely great riffs and the last song 'Cathedral Spires' is almost like Opeth. Maybe that's a bad comparison but its the first one that came to mind. Melodic Doom Metal.

Last edited:
Beautiful album.

Baddass tune....

Then fade in with the Korean version of Paul Oakenfold's Ready Steady Go....Party starts jumpin'...

Last edited:
Fight the power! This is hip hop.

Nick Cave....He will reach deep into your hole, heal that shrinking soul...............

Had this come on the classic rock station driving back home earlier:

One of my all time favourites (possibly one of the best if not THE best guitar riff endings).

An old song,very popular among the soldiers during the WW1. Sung by Georges Thill.

Back
Top Bottom