What's new

What Are You Listening to Right Now - Round 2

@Joe Shearer @Nilgiri

What do you guys think I should do with a short story that I'm writing? Would probably be a 6000 word story. Should I make a compilation?

Of course!

Some five or six years ago, I decided that I should write well. My grammar was (and is) perfect, my spellings have never let me down since Kindergarten, but there was a great deal of inner fear about the ability to write convincing prose. That was some time in 2010 or so. Since then, I have polished and polished and polished, until I feel that if I wish to be convincing, I can be (more or less); if I wish to strike a strident note, a brazen trumpet sound, I can (more or less); if I wish to play on my readers' heart-strings, I can (more or less). It took enormous practice and enormous pains, but today, I feel it is in place - for short pieces. Now I have set myself two goals: academic work and books.

It will still take me time to get to Niaz Sahib's simple, effortless class, or to Oscar's

So start.

What are you waiting for?

BTW, ask @Kaptaan to show you whatever he is willing to show you (some of it is very sensitive). Amazing though laconic mastery of detail and a facility for marshalling arguments.

Of course!

Some five or six years ago, I decided that I should write well. My grammar was (and is) perfect, my spellings have never let me down since Kindergarten, but there was a great deal of inner fear about the ability to write convincing prose. That was some time in 2010 or so. Since then, I have polished and polished and polished, until I feel that if I wish to be convincing, I can be (more or less); if I wish to strike a strident note, a brazen trumpet sound, I can (more or less); if I wish to play on my readers' heart-strings, I can (more or less). It took enormous practice and enormous pains, but today, I feel it is in place - for short pieces. Now I have set myself two goals: academic work and books.

It will still take me time to get to Niaz Sahib's simple, effortless class, or to Oscar's

So start.

What are you waiting for?

BTW, ask @Kaptaan to show you whatever he is willing to show you (some of it is very sensitive). Amazing though laconic mastery of detail and a facility for marshalling arguments.
I'd give you more points than I'd give them but don't tell them. :P

Took you so long? Makes me look vain.

I'd give you more points than I'd give them but don't tell them. :P

Took you so long? Makes me look vain.

Just to explain what I mean, read Oscar's post in "India's 700,000 Army......"

Try this exercise. Try knocking off superfluous words.

See what I mean? It's deceptively simple and plain; in reality, it's sparse and lean like a marathon running. And the balance and the fair weighing of both sides of any issue, dear Heaven, the balance. Gives me goose pimples.

LOL.

Sure. But 622 is better. I think. It was his second, or third last piece; sometimes I think that he knew that he was not long for this world, when I listen to the 2nd movement. It is that kind of elegiac farewell.

Just to explain what I mean, read Oscar's post in "India's 700,000 Army......"

Try this exercise. Try knocking off superfluous words.

See what I mean? It's deceptively simple and plain; in reality, it's sparse and lean like a marathon running. And the balance and the fair weighing of both sides of any issue, dear Heaven, the balance. Gives me goose pimples.

LOL.

Sure. But 622 is better. I think. It was his second, or third last piece; sometimes I think that he knew that he was not long for this world, when I listen to the 2nd movement. It is that kind of elegiac farewell.
I've found the post but I'll need some chai before I delve into it. I expect great works of fiction from you, Sir. Use your good taste to your advantage.

I feel like I've been cheating on Bach for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom