What's new

We’re Number Two: Americans Believe China Is Taking Over

ChinaToday

Reaction score
Country
China
Nearly one-third think China has already unseated the U.S. as the world's economic power

The U.S. has been the world’s biggest national economy since 1871, but more than half of Americans have slapped an expiration date on its global reign according to a poll reported on in the Wall Street Journal.
The poll, conducted by financial website The Street, found that only 43% of Americans believed the U.S. would be the world’s “dominant economic power” five to seven years out and nearly a third have already ceded the title to China.
Their opinions may fly in the face of economic reality — the U.S. has nearly twice the GDP of China — but the poll does show how years of sluggish economic growth can alter perceptions.

http://business.time.com/2013/11/04/were-number-two-americans-believe-china-is-taking-over/ 
More Than a Quarter of Americans Think China is No. 1

Global GDP numbers tell a clear story: The U.S. is the world’s number one economy. By a wide margin. U.S. GDP is about twice China’s. When measured on a per-person basis, the U.S. has an 8-to-1 edge over China.
But a lot of Americans don’t see it that way. The latest piece of evidence comes from the financial website, The Street, which polled 1,005 Americans and asked them which country is “world’s dominant economic power.” Twenty-eight percent of those polled chose China, while 59% chose the U.S.
Looking ahead five to seven years, those polled were a lot less confident in the U.S. position. By 2018 to 2020, 36% said China would be number one, compared to 43% for the U.S.

The more money the respondents made, the less likely they were to think the U.S. would remain the dominant economic power. Forty-three percent of those earning more than $50,000 said China would move into the top position by 2018 to 2020, compared to 37% who chose the U.S. Of those making less than $25,000, 52% figured the U.S. would remain the top dog, while 28% chose China.
Those 18 to 24 years old were also skeptical of the U.S. By a 35% to 34% margin, American youths thought U.S. would remain ahead of China. By contrast half of those over 65 years old chose the U.S. to keep its top slot, while 31% chose China.
The results were based on a Roper telephone poll conducted by GfK North America between Sept. 27 and Sept. 29, The Street said, with margin of error of three percentage points.
What to make of all this? Joe Deaux, The Street’s economic analyst, put a positive spin on it. “Despite the slow economic recovery of the five years since the financial crisis, most people in the United States still regard the nation as the world’s dominant economic power,” he said. “However, confidence that the U.S. will retain that status five to seven years out wavers.”
In some ways, The Street’s poll was more optimistic, from a U.S. point of view, than one done by the Pew Research Center in March. According to that poll, 44% of Americans now considered China the world’s leading economic power, compared to 39% who chose the U.S.

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2013/11/04/americans-say-america-is-still-no-1-for-now/?mod=e2tw

Changed the header I see !

I guess Chinatoday IQ superstar thinks 25% americans= all americans.

We also had those among us who thought the Japanese took over the US in the 80's .

these people have no clue that a part timer in the US flipping burgers, makes more money monthly than 90% of your factory workers

Last edited:
How could those American think so?

We are making progress, but still very far from USA, even China's economy quality is much worse than USA.

Thanks for sharing QUOTE " How do I make my butt hole stop burning" . But I am sure you should keep that between you and your proctologist 
How could those American think so?

We are making progress, but still very far from USA, even China's economy quality is much worse than USA.

He changed the header- only 25% believe so... most don't. and their belief is "perception", ask them about economic data to support it and they will have no clue

Stop posting such puffery.

Many people in China still can't even afford medical care, education and housing. Our happiness index is low compared to them.

What annoys me the most is the bravado that these Chinese show on the internet yet in real life they are the most timid people around. The West is not some little region that China can easily conquer. If China is so great then why are your countrymen flocking like vultures to come to our magnificent Western countries?

What annoys me the most is the bravado that these Chinese show on the internet yet in real life they are the most timid people around. The West is not some little region that China can easily conquer. If China is so great then why are your countrymen flocking like vultures to come to our magnificent Western countries?

Easy there, we Europeans flocked to all other places when we were dirt poor. We should feel glad that the natives in the Americas and Australia didn't have a great navy or other mechanism to sink our boats at that time.

Easy there, we Europeans flocked to all other places when we were dirt poor. We should feel glad that the natives in the Americas and Australia didn't have a great navy or other mechanism to sink our boats at that time.
Your European? Yet you comment on everything relating to China. If your German Chinese then your not European, your German.

Back
Top Bottom