What's new

Weak Yen Hits South Korean Car Makers

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
The yen’s slide rattled shares of some non-Japanese exporters in Asia on Monday, with South Korean car makers hit particularly hard on worries that rivals in Japan will gain a pricing edge in global markets.

The yen plummeted in value Friday and continued to drop Monday, after the Bank of Japan unexpectedly announced additional stimulus measures in an effort to lift inflation. A weaker yen makes Japanese products more competitive in overseas markets. The yen was at ¥113.89 per dollar midday Monday in New York, around a seven-year low and sharply weaker than ¥109.22 on Thursday before the Bank of Japan announcement.

In Seoul, shares of auto makers Hyundai Motor and Kia Motors fell 5.9% and 5.6%, respectively, on Monday.

South Korean and Japanese companies often compete head-to-head in the same product groups in global markets, notably cars and electronics goods.

From the Bank of Japan’s standpoint, “you’re giving your industry a head start relative to someone else’s,” said Markus Rosgen, regional head of equity strategy at Citi in Hong Kong. “The perception in the equity market will be that they [South Korea] will have to take a hit from the lack of competitiveness versus the Japanese.”

South Korea’s benchmark Kospi fell 0.6% to 1952.97. Against the yen, the won rose as much as 1.4% Friday.

Japanese markets were closed Monday; the Nikkei Stock Average surged 4.8% Friday on the Bank of Japan news.

Hyundai Chief Financial Officer Lee Won-hee said the weakening yen is one of the company’s biggest concerns, but Hyundai intends to counter the negative currency effect by increasing sales of higher-end products. Kia declined to comment.

Hyundai and Kia had already been losing ground to Japanese rivals that have made gains in the U.S., one of its most important markets, by boosting sales incentives to new-car buyers—a tactic that could be bolstered by a weaker yen. Toyota Motor Corp. recently raised incentives to new-car buyers in the U.S. by as much as 26% to $2,400 per car, from $1,900 previously. Other Japanese car makers, including Nissan Motor Co. and Honda Motor Co. , have also raised incentives to U.S. buyers.

“Last year, Japanese car makers launched new cars, meaning there wasn’t much need to pay high incentives,” said Nomura analyst Angela Hong. “But the new-car effect is fading now when the U.S. demand remains weak. So, many of them are offering big discounts, taking advantage of the yen’s renewed weakness.”

Korean auto-parts makers such as Hyundai Mobis Co. and textile companies and steelmakers, including Posco , are fiercely competing with Japanese rivals, so they can be negatively affected by the yen’s weakness, according to an official at the Federation of Korea Industries.

“Japanese steelmakers can have a greater room to cut product prices for now, but eventually, a weaker yen means they have to pay more to buy raw material such as iron ore and coal,” said Posco spokesman Kang Min-suk. “So in that sense, we’re not at disadvantage against Japanese rivals.” Posco shares fell 0.6% Monday.

“We supply a lot of parts to Hyundai and Kia, so their trouble is our trouble,” said Danny Cho, a Hyundai Mobis spokesman. “We’re also supplying auto parts to other global car makers. A weaker yen will enable Japanese auto-parts makers to cut prices, which will hurt our pricing competitiveness. We’re cautiously watching the yen’s move.” Hyundai Mobis shares fell 4% Monday.

Bank of Korea Governor Lee Ju-yeol said Monday he was closely monitoring Japan’s stimulus program, which he said “came earlier than the market expected.”

But while the BOJ’s latest measures may cause concern about the specter of a currency war, some experts say South Korea needn’t worry.

A paper from the International Monetary Fund this year showed the sensitivity of Korea’s exports to the won/yen exchange rate fell by about one-half since the late 1990s. It pointed to growing differences in the two nations’ products in information technology. For instance, while Japan makes system chips and game consoles, South Korea has focused on smartphones, memory chips and liquid-crystal displays.

South Korean manufacturers also have increasingly moved production offshore to benefit from lower costs in China and elsewhere, or to be closer to developed markets. The IMF said Korean auto manufacturers made 73% of total output offshore in 2012 versus 38% in 2008. Smartphone markers went to 80% from 16% in the same period.

Hyundai made almost two-thirds of its cars last year overseas, up from just a fifth a decade ago.

“Hyundai’s U.S. sales depend more on the quality and other appeals of its cars,” said Dongbu Securities analyst Kim Pyung-mo. “I see today’s sharp share-price fall is a knee-jerk reaction. Foreigners are selling Korean shares anyway.”

Analysts expect the yen to remain weak for some time. Policies of major central banks across the world are diverging, with the U.S. Federal Reserve reining in its monetary-stimulus program and Japan continuing its easy-money policies, suggesting interest rates will continue to move farther apart—and making prospects for South Korean exporters especially bleak.

Strategists at Barclays noted that “central banks in industrial economies like Korea, Taiwan and China, which compete closely with Japanese exporters in international markets, will likely be more compelled to limit currency appreciation,” despite their strong trade balances.

Other currencies sensitive to the yen because of large trade flows with Japan, such as the New Taiwan dollar and the Singapore dollar, also have jumped against the yen since the BOJ announcement. Currencies including India’s rupee, Indonesia’s rupiah and Thailand’s baht are expected to climb as investors seeking higher-yielding assets in the region pour money in.

In India, companies with Japanese units and subsidiaries, such as Maruti Suzuki and Hitachi Home & Life Solutions, a subsidiary of Hitachi Appliance Inc., rose after the Bank of Japan’s decision Friday.

—Kwanwoo Jun in Seoul contributed to this article.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/weak-yen-hits-south-korean-car-makers-1415014783

Strategists at Barclays noted that “central banks in industrial economies like Korea, Taiwan and China, which compete closely with Japanese exporters in international markets, will likely be more compelled to limit currency appreciation,” despite their strong trade balances.

So trade balance vs. trade imbalance. Or, QE vs. tight monetary policy. Interesting to watch how this will play out for the sides in the long run.

This is what Japan should have done at least 5 years ago. I'm glad that the BOJ took the initiative this time around.

120 yen per dollar,here we come。

Japan is going-through the 2nd round of competitively devaluing its currency,a process that might last for 1 to 2 decades。Who knows,we may revisit the 1980s when a dollar bought 300 yen。

120 yen per dollar,here we come。

Japan is going-through the 2nd round of competitively devaluing its currency,a process that might last for 1 to 2 decades。Who knows,we may revisit the 1980s when a dollar bought 300 yen。

Ironically, that's the time era when Japan's industrial might was unchallenged. The positive effects of this devaluation is that it makes Japanese exports more affordable, highly competitive. This is what we need.

I always thought Japanese yen was overvalued after the 2008 recession. There is no reason why Japanese products should be more expensive than other products of similar quality.

I think the pre 2008 exchange rate of 1 dollar to 120 yen was correct.

120 is more or less the right convertible rate. More deprication won't achieve the target Kuroda aims.

When Korean products at par with Japanese ones? their mentality of copycat sustains even today.
Korean products overall are even worse than Chinese ones.

I always thought Japanese yen was overvalued after the 2008 recession. There is no reason why Japanese products should be more expensive than other products of similar quality.

I think the pre 2008 exchange rate of 1 dollar to 120 yen was correct.

I remember my father telling me back in 1985 , the exchange rate was ¥239 to $1.

120 is more or less the right convertible rate. More deprication won't achieve the target Kuroda aims.

When Korean products at par with Japanese ones? their mentality of copycat sustains even today.

doesn't know if they are a copy catter, but South Korean surely have their genuine products and imaginative vision

Samsung - ring a bell?
S Korean's shipbuilding?:-)

Now the Japanese are lucky having a low oil price per barrel which can otherwise easily offset the effect of a devaluating yen :cheesy:

again how older are you :what:

In my late 20s. I was born in '85. lol.

Samsung - ring a bell?
S Korean's shipbuilding?:-)

Now the Japanese are lucky having a low oil price per barrel which can otherwise easily offset the effect of a devaluating yen :cheesy:

You know, i discussed with @jkroo-sama about the importance of moving towards electric cars, or more energy efficient automobiles (actually, he pointed it out that it is only going to be a natural course). Eventually, its going to be a necessity, i think.

In my late 20s. I was born in '85. lol.

i have only read this in our Indian/Bharat epics that children born with great powers can only listen and understand conversations in their mother's womb. Seems like you fit the case :D

You know, i discussed with @jkroo-sama about the importance of moving towards electric cars, or more energy efficient automobiles. Eventually, its going to be a necessity, i think.

Electricity cars require plug-in stations
Where do you get your electricity from in view of solar, wind, aquatic (sea-waves etc) energies only share a small proportion of energy supply overall; or even nuclear energy is just a pale shade of fossil fuel energy. Not anytime soon. :-)

Electricity cars require plug-in stations
Where do you get your electricity from in view of solar, wind, aquatic (sea-waves etc) energies only share a small proportion of energy supply overall; or even nuclear energy just a pale shade of fossil fuel energy. Not anytime soon. :-)

I just don't want the country to be too dependent on non-renewable imports, and be subject to the whim of the oil producers as seen in the 1970's oil embargo. Japan can't afford that, and analyzing China (a huge nation with over 1.4 billion people), this threat can affect overall development. This is why I'm such a big supporter of renewable energy such as wind power, solar power, nuclear power.

You're right about the issue of plug-in stations. Perhaps, in time these will develop as there is a trend towards electric cars. For me, i just doubt the sustainability of oil imports, heck, even shale fracking that the US is now dominating is only good for several decades. In the end, its only delaying the inevitability.

Japan's been making strides in energy efficient cars. I think that Japan should cooperate with China in this field. Sustainability is so important.

Back
Top Bottom