What's new

" We Made It " - Voyager 1 leaves Solar sytem

Star Trek Monologue

" Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before. "

Not "....where no man has gone before" but "......where no one has gone before."

You see, the female species objected to the term 'man' as there have been many women aboard the Starship Enterprise! So that was changed to 'no one' :azn:

Götterdämmerung;4766913 said:
No thanks, OP changed the title and according to forum rule it's not allowed. The title of the thread is misleading and since OP is Indian, one might think that he was talking about India.

The funny thing is, German news are also reporting about the Voyager, and no one is saying "we human did this".

ZZZZZZZZZ ...Seriously man nothing wrong with that we all belong to Earth, countries came in later we are all earthlings and for once lets put everything aside and celebrate this news as Earthlings. So yeah "WE FINALLY DID IT". Yay!!!

No thanks, OP changed the title and according to forum rule it's not allowed. The title of the thread is misleading and since OP is Indian, one might think that he was talking about India.

The funny thing is, German news are also reporting about the Voyager, and no one is saying "we human did this".

Person with bit of common sense will know that only US among entire world has capability to send probe beyond solar system ....

Nobody can take the credit to do so ....definitely not small time person like me .

I felt this is a wonderful news ....and as many people as can should read this ....

To make title attractive ....I picked up quote from article itself ....

My intention is clear ....why you are making fuss about such small issue ?

Just enjoy the news ....discuss its importance ....

why bother about title than its content ....?

I hope you will rest the topic for once and forever ....

Götterdämmerung;4766287 said:
Why "We made it"? You aren't US American, are you?

You are a D..K head.

Person with bit of common sense will know that only US among entire world has capability to send probe beyond solar system ....

Nobody can take the credit to do so ....definitely not small time person like me .

I felt this is a wonderful news ....and as many people as can should read this ....

To make title attractive ....I picked up quote from article itself ....

My intention is clear ....why you are making fuss about such small issue ?

Just enjoy the news ....discuss its importance ....

why bother about title than its content ....?

I hope you will rest the topic for once and forever ....

Sab maja kir kira kar diya...bloody fool!!

Now That Voyager 1 Is Out Of The Solar System, What's Next For It? - Forbes

“We expect the fields and particles science instruments on Voyager will continue to send back data through at least 2020. We can’t wait to see what the Voyager instruments show us next about deep space.” – Suzanne Dodd, Voyager project manager

Now that Voyager I has broken through the heliopause boundary between the solar wind and the interstellar medium, the spacecraft will be able to obtain measurements of interstellar fields, particles, and waves that have not been interfered with by the solar wind. Voyager is making direct contact with plasma expelled by other stars.

Voyager is powered by an RTG (Radioisotope Thermal Generator) – a nuclear battery. It becomes a little weaker each day. Sometime after 2020, maybe as late as 2025, the power will become too little to transmit the 23 watt signal towards Earth, and we will lose track of Voyager I. It will continue to travel through the Milky Way – now fully independent of our sun, it may outlast our own solar system.

Voyager I and Voyager II have provided us with mountains of information about our solar system and beautiful images. The total cost of the program, now operating for 36 years, is still less than $1 billion dollars.

In 257 years, Voyager will meet Captain Kirk and Commander Spock.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/...sep/13/voyager-1-solar-system-great-explorers

Voyager 1 leaving solar system matches feats of great human explorers

Voyager 1 has left the building, by which I mean the solar system. A historic milestone in exploration has been reached and the hero is a spacecraft

It's official. Voyager 1 has left the solar system. While there will be little immediate benefit from this feat, it does represent a historic milestone of exploration.

Voyager 1's achievement is every bit as important as Roald Amundsen's party reaching the South Pole on 14 December 1911, or Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay conquering Everest on 29 May 1953. The difference is that there is no human inside Voyager.

With no obvious human, there is no obvious hero to venerate for the achievement. And the army of scientists and engineers who built and shepherded the mission seem too diffuse a collective for adoration.

We must therefore celebrate Voyager 1 itself, as being a robotic extension of our senses, carrying our experiments to places that we simply cannot go. The duration of its mission alone is worthy of celebration.

Launched in 1977, the same year that Elvis finally left the building, Voyager 1's primary mission was to visit the giant planets Jupiter and Saturn. Its orbit was designed to make a close pass of Saturn's mysterious moon, Titan, but that left the spacecraft coasting through space with no other planets to encounter.

In the subsequent decade, sister ship Voyager 2 stole the limelight because of its flyby of Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune. Voyager 1 was travelling faster, however, and that extra speed now means it is around 120 times the distance of the Earth from the sun, whereas Voyager 2 is lagging behind at about 100 times.

Powered by radioactivity, both are still communicating with Earth. It was realised that sunlight would be far too weak in the outer solar system to drive solar panels. The power is gradually running down, however, as the radioactive fuel decays.

The craft are expected to last until around 2020, and that gives plenty of time to collect data about this newly reached realm of nature.

The boundary of the solar system is defined by the magnetic field created inside the sun. This bubble of magnetism traps particles and when Voyager passes the boundary, the density of particles will change abruptly. A recent review of the spacecraft data shows that this happened on 25 August 2012, over a year ago.

So, according to Nasa Voyager 1 has officially left the solar system.

It is difficult to say at the moment what benefit this knowledge will bring to us – just as it was difficult to say what benefit Amundsen's and Hillary's achievement would have on society.

But just as certainly, achievements inspire us and drive us on to our own personal goals and therefore cannot be underestimated.

Götterdämmerung;4766424 said:
The article of OP was published by TOI. Title of thread and title of article don't match. Didn't know that TOI is US American.

Having seen you guys taking credit of others, it's reasonable to assume that you guys also take credit of the Voyager.

Oh, look a bunch of Indian, like a pack of hyenas going after me. LOL

That is how indians try to take credit for other's work. In this case they claim to be "human".

Voyager 3 & 4 :whistle:

jaime_j_02_zpscb374233.jpg

Götterdämmerung;4766287 said:
Why "We made it"? You aren't US American, are you?

One of the most endearing aspects -- and there are many -- about the Voyager missions is that they were meant as a milestone in humanity's scientific achievements as a whole.

Not "....where no man has gone before" but "......where no one has gone before."

You see, the female species objected to the term 'man' as there have been many women aboard the Starship Enterprise! So that was changed to 'no one' :azn:

I always find it amusing when political correctness makes fools out of people.

The original statement about man -- or Man -- is proper English since it is used to denote humanity as a whole.

The politically correct revision, using the phrase "no one", is idiotic since the aliens who live "there" have surely gone there already!

Unless, of course, you assume that the Federation is the be-all and end-all of creation, and all other aliens are just there for our entertainment.

Anyways, fast forward a couple of centuries and meet Veeger

tmphd2570.jpg

Is the rest of the world even trying? America, in her incredibly short history, has shown that it is the greatest country to have ever existed. The sum of all the achievements of all other countries through time do not amount to a fraction of America's. Truly awe inspiring.

I put up this thread last year when Voyager's position was in the interstellar boundary region: http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/187749-v-ger-reaches-edge-our-solar-system.html

As far as "whose" achievement this is, I think that the USA deserves credit for the main part, with the caveat that science is an international endeavor. The USA especially benefited from German rocket scientists who settled in the USA post WWII.
The USA deserves credit for putting together a set of minds and people. The "people" in this regard is international. Two of the biggest player in rocket science is Wernher von Braun and Qian Xuesen. This sum up beautifully, "The American journal Aviation Week & Space Technology would name Qian its Person of the Year in 2007, and comment on his interrogation of von Braun, "No one then knew that the father of the future U.S. space program was being quizzed by the father of the future Chinese space program."

Well technically speaking, Chinese like you are as German as the OP is American. You can get German ciizenship, but you cannot change your own genes :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom