What's new

Washington Post: Leaked Messages Confirm Qatar Paid Billions for Extremist Shi’ite Militias

The SC

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Saturday, 28 April, 2018
buildings_are_seen_on_a_coast_line_in_doha_qatar._reuters.jpg

Buildings are seen on a coast line in Doha, Qatar. (Reuters)

Leaked text documents and messages confirmed that Qatar paid over a billion dollars to extremist Shi’ite militias in Syria and Iraq, said a Washington Post report on Saturday.

"The Syrians, ‘Hezbollah’-Lebanon, the Iraqi Hezbollah-- all want money, and this is their chance," Zayed bin Saeed al-Khayareen, Qatar's ambassador to Iraq and chief negotiator in the hostage affair, wrote in a message. "All of them are thieves."

The message was sent last year in wake of the abduction of 25 Qatari citizens by Iraqi kidnappers. Qatar had kicked off secret talks to ensure their release. The bargaining however turned into a kind of group shakedown, the official said, with a half-dozen militias and foreign governments jostling to squeeze cash from Doha.

Confidential documents confirmed that Qatar indeed paid these extremist Iran-backed groups, including the Lebanese “Hezbollah” and Iraqi Hezbollah.

After much fretting and grousing, Qatari officials consented to payments totaling at least $275 million to free nine members of the royal family and 16 other Qatari nationals kidnapped during a hunting trip in southern Iraq, according to copies of the intercepted communications obtained by The Washington Post.

The secret records reveal for the first time that the payment plan allocated an additional $150 million in cash for individuals and groups acting as intermediaries, although they have long been regarded by US officials as sponsors of international terrorism. These include Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and Iraqi Hezbollah, a group linked to numerous lethal attacks on American troops during the Iraq War, the records show.

The payments were part of a larger deal that would involve the Iranian, Iraqi and Turkish governments, as well as Lebanon's “Hezbollah” and at least two Syrian opposition groups, including the al-Qaeda affiliated al-Nusra Front, reported the Post.

The total sum demanded for the return of the hostages at times climbed as high as $1 billion, although it is not clear from the documents exactly how much money ultimately changed hands.

Qatar, which acknowledged receiving help from multiple countries in securing the hostages' release last year, has consistently denied reports that it paid terrorist organizations as part of the deal.

The leaked documents show senior Qatari diplomats appearing to sign off on a series of side payments ranging from $5 to $50 million to Iranian and Iraqi officials and paramilitary leaders, with $25 million earmarked for an Iraqi Hezbollah boss and $50 million set aside for "Qassem," an apparent reference to Qassem Soleimani, the leader of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and a key participant in the hostage deal.

The text exchanges are part of a trove of private communications about the hostage ordeal that were surreptitiously recorded by a foreign government and provided to The Post.

The intercepted communications also include cellphone conversations and voice-mail messages in Arabic that were played for Post reporters for authentication purposes, on the condition that the name of the foreign government that provided the materials not be revealed.

https://aawsat.com/english/home/art...confirm-qatar-paid-billions-extremist-shi’ite

All Arabs are now dancing on Israeli signals and preparing ground for their own self distraction.

Propaganda
"The intercepted communications also include cellphone conversations and voice-mail messages in Arabic that were played for Post reporters for authentication purposes, on the condition that the name of the foreign government that provided the materials not be revealed."

What the...
"nine members of the royal family and 16 other Qatari nationals kidnapped during a hunting trip in southern Iraq"

Hunting in a war zone!!!?

"The intercepted communications also include cellphone conversations and voice-mail messages in Arabic that were played for Post reporters for authentication purposes, on the condition that the name of the foreign government that provided the materials not be revealed."

You dont say.......

Man its no secret. Every damn regime in the Middle East arms and fuels militias. There is a reason why Pakistan went on the record and said WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN PROXY WARS.

Rich dudes with paranoia needs a militia.

Rest assure Arabia will see Liberians days if things dont change.

You dont say.......

Man its no secret. Every damn regime in the Middle East arms and fuels militias. There is a reason why Pakistan went on the record and said WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN PROXY WARS.

Rich dudes with paranoia needs a militia.

Rest assure Arabia will see Liberians days if things dont change.
You include Iran then.. because it is the one behind most of the militias in the ME.. Arabs had to respond in kind somehow.. and don't worry for Arabs.. many nations will see Liberians days before them..

You include Iran then.. because it is the one behind most of the militias in the ME.. Arabs had to respond in kind somehow.. and don't worry for Arabs.. many nations will see Liberians days before them..

I said Middle East.
It traditionally includes Iran as well.

'Extremist Shia militias' not counting excesses during the 2003-2008 internal Iraqi sectarian war between Shia and Sunni groups, committed by both sides, 'extremist Shia militias' in the modern day is a canard that represents a marriage of one unholy phenomenon with another rather pathetic one; the post-2006 US 'New Middle East approach' based on embracing Sunni extremist groups (utilized in Libya and Syria) and the modern day Sunni hypocrisy and insecurity that drives them to invent fictional Shia villains to 'balance out Sunni crimes'. How wonderful. I've even seen sad loser sectarian Sunnis bitch about Hezbollah despite all it's done to stabilize Lebanon and protect it. Some people can't get over their most irrational of biases.
I agree that the article should have said " Iranian proxies" instead of Extremist Shia militias..It depicts the same thing to the people familiar with the issues of the ME though..

I said Middle East.
It traditionally includes Iran as well.
"Rich" dudes..Arabia..is what I responded to.. no problems in sight..

"Rich" dudes..Arabia..is what I responded to.. no problems in sight..

Both Persians and Arabs are knee deep in shit and fist deep in cash.

Trust me buddy i play no favourism when it comes to the lost cause of ME.

Saturday, 28 April, 2018
buildings_are_seen_on_a_coast_line_in_doha_qatar._reuters.jpg

Buildings are seen on a coast line in Doha, Qatar. (Reuters)

Leaked text documents and messages confirmed that Qatar paid over a billion dollars to extremist Shi’ite militias in Syria and Iraq, said a Washington Post report on Saturday.

"The Syrians, ‘Hezbollah’-Lebanon, the Iraqi Hezbollah-- all want money, and this is their chance," Zayed bin Saeed al-Khayareen, Qatar's ambassador to Iraq and chief negotiator in the hostage affair, wrote in a message. "All of them are thieves."

The message was sent last year in wake of the abduction of 25 Qatari citizens by Iraqi kidnappers. Qatar had kicked off secret talks to ensure their release. The bargaining however turned into a kind of group shakedown, the official said, with a half-dozen militias and foreign governments jostling to squeeze cash from Doha.

Confidential documents confirmed that Qatar indeed paid these extremist Iran-backed groups, including the Lebanese “Hezbollah” and Iraqi Hezbollah.

After much fretting and grousing, Qatari officials consented to payments totaling at least $275 million to free nine members of the royal family and 16 other Qatari nationals kidnapped during a hunting trip in southern Iraq, according to copies of the intercepted communications obtained by The Washington Post.

The secret records reveal for the first time that the payment plan allocated an additional $150 million in cash for individuals and groups acting as intermediaries, although they have long been regarded by US officials as sponsors of international terrorism. These include Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and Iraqi Hezbollah, a group linked to numerous lethal attacks on American troops during the Iraq War, the records show.

The payments were part of a larger deal that would involve the Iranian, Iraqi and Turkish governments, as well as Lebanon's “Hezbollah” and at least two Syrian opposition groups, including the al-Qaeda affiliated al-Nusra Front, reported the Post.

The total sum demanded for the return of the hostages at times climbed as high as $1 billion, although it is not clear from the documents exactly how much money ultimately changed hands.

Qatar, which acknowledged receiving help from multiple countries in securing the hostages' release last year, has consistently denied reports that it paid terrorist organizations as part of the deal.

The leaked documents show senior Qatari diplomats appearing to sign off on a series of side payments ranging from $5 to $50 million to Iranian and Iraqi officials and paramilitary leaders, with $25 million earmarked for an Iraqi Hezbollah boss and $50 million set aside for "Qassem," an apparent reference to Qassem Soleimani, the leader of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and a key participant in the hostage deal.

The text exchanges are part of a trove of private communications about the hostage ordeal that were surreptitiously recorded by a foreign government and provided to The Post.

The intercepted communications also include cellphone conversations and voice-mail messages in Arabic that were played for Post reporters for authentication purposes, on the condition that the name of the foreign government that provided the materials not be revealed.

https://aawsat.com/english/home/article/1252031/washington-post-leaked-messages-confirm-qatar-paid-billions-extremist-shi’ite
What do you know about Yemen? it was enough to stop reading your incoherent post about Arabs right there.. Yemen was not a relic of the cold war!?.. just google the time frame of conflicts in Yemen and you should learn a thing or two before talking about it again..
It is well known that the Arabs not only funded Mujahideen in Afghanistan, but participated with their blood and souls in there.. what came out after that was called terrorism, because those Mujahideen did not want to stop there but take it to the US and the West too.. So there is no way that KSA or the UAE or even Qatar have funded terrorists.. not as states, but private funds might have been used by wealthy individuals all over the Arab and Muslim world.. Today there are new reforms of the banking systems of these countries that have been implemented to track money routes, the origins and the destinations.. I am sorry but it is Turkish brothers who seem to be suffering much from a poor Lira, inflation and terrorism it was supporting before in Syria..
And why are you getting angry like that.. It is a threat perception mixed with politics, it has origins in Turkish moves in Qatar (but that has minimal effect on this issue), it is the not so good relations with Egypt that matter the most.. Turkey should understand that Egypt is very important in the Arab world and having animosities with it feels heavy on the rest of the Arab world.. eventhough Turkey has very solid, close and good relationships with the rest of the Arab world countries..Qatar, Syria, Somalia, etc... are peripherals to the main cause of this Arab perception..

That is true..
Look at your level of hypocricy! At least speak like a man instead of talking nonesense like a schoolgirl trying to say she is virgin while we all know she is the biggest whore in the town. So is there any way of KSA, UAE or Qatar to fund terrorism? Last word! You are going to throw away your honor and take a sh!t on top of it instead speaking the truth.

Both Persians and Arabs are knee deep in shit and fist deep in cash.

Trust me buddy i play no favourism when it comes to the lost cause of ME.
I agree to disagree on the Arab side.. what is factual about your comment is Iran's position.. I understand your neutrality, but not when it comes against ground realities.. and just to be or look neutral..

Look at your level of hypocricy! At least speak like a man instead of talking nonesense like a schoolgirl trying to say she is virgin while we all know she is the biggest whore in the town. So is there any way of KSA, UAE or Qatar to fund terrorism? Last word! You are going to throw away your honor and take a sh!t on top of it instead speaking the truth.
What do you know about the truth..filthy mouth?

I agree to disagree on the Arab side.. what is factual about your comment is Iran's position.. I understand your neutrality, but not when it comes against ground realities.. and just to be or look neutral..

Ground reality is :

The Loot is too big and the militias dispersed throughout the region. They need to be gathered first. I dont talk on ME because its forbidden knowledge to speak of it.

What do you know about the truth..filthy mouth?
I know that you are lying trying to protect terrorist supporters! Instead blindly support them try to be objective and realistic. The whole world knows about that and you are trying to disprove it while at the next day you are posting propaganda in favor of them. Shame!

Iran doesn't use terrorist it uses militias who don't subscribe to the notion that people of the other sect are waajib ul qatal and kaafir etc.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom