What's new

Was iqbal a cruel hoax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If iqbal was for all muslims where was he for the ottomons? The essay makes note of this.

Anf forgot the germans, do your own thinking!

I cant think like you. I m sorry. I do know that Iqbal's message of freedom was universal. He did mention treachery of Muslims in bringing down the Ottomans as one of the reasons for total humiliation and subjugation of Muslim world, if you bother to read his poetry rather than some article.

the use of word 'sacred cow' is actually meant to make fun and belittle Iqbal's message. I could not read any further the article you are quoting and thats a question mark on its credibility and the weight of the argument.

Okay, of you read the footnote, he is some highly educated MIT graduate and usually these highly educated graduates have the tendency to make fun their own forefathers because of the inferiority complex deeply ingrained in their minds.

Poets are poets.Their creative intellect clings on to any idea that even for a split of a second appeals to them as romantic and even jingoistic !! If I am not wrong it was Ilama Iqbal who once wrote "Sare Jahan se accha Hindustan humara" because at that very moment the idea of India appealed to him.So I personally feel that attaching too much seriousness and gravity to any work of literature (Including religious texts of any religion whatsoever)is not correct because sometimes the creativeness of the writers and composers could attach certain colours and characteristic to them which may not be viable or could even be dangerous in the long run.

You answer your own question.

Jinnah was also in touch with Churchill's secretary secretly and never went to jail under the british raj BTW. Gandhi was not offered a knighhood and spent years and years in jail. Where do you see a contradiction in what the OP has asked? Do you disagree it was in british interests to have a fragmented sub continent so that they would always have room for one foot, either here or there???

You probably forgetting that India was divided only after Congress(Nehru, ghandhi, etc) agreed to it. you also forgot that this hero of yours observed the Fast till pakistans assets are released by Govt of India.

If the Partition of india was a Britishers cunning drama to divide and rule, then congress Nehru ghandhi etc were part of it along with Jinnah and Co.

I cant think like you. I m sorry. I do know that Iqbal's message of freedom was universal. He did mention treachery of Muslims in bringing down the Ottomans as one of the reasons for total humiliation and subjugation of Muslim world, if you bother to read his poetry rather than some article.

the use of word 'sacred cow' is actually meant to make fun and belittle Iqbal's message. I could not read any further the article you are quoting and thats a question mark on its credibility and the weight of the argument.

Okay, of you read the footnote, he is some highly educated MIT graduate and usually these highly educated graduates have the tendency to make fun their own forefathers because of the inferiority complex deeply ingrained in their minds.

Iqbal the poet does not equal iqbal the political thinker. There is no doubt iqbal was a brilliant, spiritual and caring man, but has he ultimately been used? And to what extent was he aware of it?

Sacred cow is uses to challenge the unquestioned dogma around his status!

The author is far from self hating, he laments more than hates.

You probably forgetting that India was divided only after Congress(Nehru, ghandhi, etc) agreed to it. you also forgot that this hero of yours observed the Fast till pakistans assets are released by Govt of India.

If the Partition of india was a Britishers cunning drama to divide and rule, then congress Nehru ghandhi etc were part of it along with Jinnah and Co.
No doubt both sides involved, if it were true.

Did churchill not regard pakistan as a piece of empire for britain?

Poets are poets.Their creative intellect clings on to any idea that even for a split of a second appeals to them as romantic and even jingoistic !! If I am not wrong it was Ilama Iqbal who once wrote "Sare Jahan se accha Hindustan humara" because at that very moment the idea of India appealed to him.So I personally feel that attaching too much seriousness and gravity to any work of literature (Including religious texts of any religion whatsoever)is not correct because sometimes the creativeness of the writers and composers could attach certain colours and characteristic to them which may not be viable or could even be dangerous in the long run.

Perhsps iqbals most valuble work was a book called the reconstruction of religious thought, this is a densely academic and scholarly book, he was a lot more than a poet.

Did sir syed ahmed not advocate loyalty to britain as well as his push for education?

I think everybody was a british citizen then. What he advocated was get education to stand at the level of britishers so that you can talk to them as equals. At that time the muslim status equivalent to what you might call a "chaprassi" .....

Even jinnah was a british citizen since the existence of pakistan and india didnot exist. We were just another land in their mighty empire. So does that makes their achievement any less. Our forefathers, your forefathers and every person was a british citizen then bcz we were being rules by them.

Well i think Iqbal was a good poet but not a great thinker he's thoughts have more to do with idealism than reality.

Iqbal's Mard-e-Momin was a similar variant of communism influenced version of Islam that Molana Modoodi advocated to take over the world by force and enforce his version of Islam on everyone be it Muslims or non Muslims.

This is one of the reasons Jamaat-e-Islami pampered his personality from a poet to great thinker etc etc.This propaganda worked and he was credited with giving the Idea of Pakistan which is untrue.

In his Allahabad address he only wanted eastern and western Muslim majority provinces merged to be made super provinces, at that time neither him nor Muslim league wanted independence from India and creation of Pakistan.

In his last days Iqbal had developed difference with Jinnah and Muslim League and became close to Nehru even at his death Nehru said that Iqbal never wanted to make a separate country.

And he's not hoax things attributed to him are false propaganda.

Gandhi too helped the British since his doctrine of nonviolence was music to their ears.

he may not have a knighthood but he is a cultural icon. And you dont get to be one if you are a serious threat to empire.

If you are going to stretch logic to say that Gandhi's non violent methods were meant to help the british, then fine. I suppose logic can be stretched to say that Bhagat Singh also helped the british discredit the freedom struggle by equating it with terrorism.

In any case I've said what I've said and my views on this are that willingly / unwillingly tehrik e pakistan leaders were doing the British empire's bidding of an exit strategy with a backdoor open. Jinnah was in touch with the Birtish secretly, he never went to jail, and the very fact that in the 50s already CIA flights were taking off from Peshawar fits into that logical sequence.

Lets agree to disagree.

If you are going to stretch logic to say that Gandhi's non violent methods were meant to help the british, then fine. I suppose logic can be stretched to say that Bhagat Singh also helped the british discredit the freedom struggle by equating it with terrorism.

In any case I've said what I've said and my views on this are that willingly / unwillingly tehrik e pakistan leaders were doing the British empire's bidding of an exit strategy with a backdoor open. Jinnah was in touch with the Birtish secretly, he never went to jail, and the very fact that in the 50s already CIA flights were taking off from Peshawar fits into that logical sequence.

Lets agree to disagree.

I never said it was gandhis explicit intention to help the british. I do believe his was a mode of thinking that the british were happy to encourage, and have been since his death. Put it another way, why is malcolm x celebrated less than MLK?

So all the canny and cunning Britishers have to do is just award some sort of title "Sir" to a man- and voila his character becomes dubious- regardless of his history-

To go to jail one has to do something utterly stupid against the Sarkar-Gandhi was not offered Knighthood but he went to jail-

A great example still the subcontinental politicians follow- go to jail and become famous- :coffee:-

Actually, that stupidity got India the independence. You actually have to ask them to leave :) Of course they will not like that and will not offer the knighthood. But to one, what he wants I would say.

Bhagat Singh also was a freedom fighter but with a different take on the "asking" part of the leaving.

The proof of the pudding is in its eating. Is it not? That should be enough to show the teeth in the philosphy as it is being called.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom