What's new

Virgin Galactic bans Chinese nationals from space flights over espionage fears

Yeah, ask Boeing and Airbus to stop selling airplanes to China, the biggest source of tourism in the world.
You think Boeing or Airbus are that stupid that they do not know that their aircrafts will be taken apart and studied? They want to make money? Sure, and they sold. But they did business with China will the full realization that someday Chinese domestic aviation will be their competitors.

VG is equally aware of the consequences as Boeing and Airbus does. Right now, it is the only game in the world regarding non-governmental spaceflights and if they want to increase the odds of securing that leadership and put China under suspicion, they SHOULD do so.

Yeah, talking about industrial espionage .... Snowden, NSA ... :lol:
:lol: Until you can show evidences, not insinuations, that the US government gave US companies technical secrets purloined from other countries...

Typical British mentality... They think they can make galactic transport so now no one should compete.

Typical British mentality... They think they can make galactic transport so now no one should compete.
Wrong...No one is saying the Chinese cannot or even should not compete, but that VG is not going to make it easy for the Chinese to compete by denying access to the vehicle in any way.

What has Virgin Galactic actually achieved?
Has they even managed to send a man to space yet?
So far all we see is plan.
Every year they plan to do it, and every year it got delay to next year.
Typical antics of a private corporation.

Private corporations achieved much more than governments have. You think the taken for granted microwave oven could have come from communist Soviets or China?
I am not so sure that private corporation do achieved much more than government, as far as space exploration is concerned, most if not all institution are government funded. Even the few private corporation that actually achieved anything are government(NASA) related.

The US model of taxpayer funded NASA transferring technology to private venture would be too controversial in China. This experiment of US government trying to leverage private capital for space exploration is still on-going and not having anything substantial to show yet. Unless this corporation has shown consistently significant improvement over what NASA can do, I would withhold any conclusion before then.

According to a certain "professional" on this forum, these two aircraft are supposedly copies.:lol:
And who might he be? I want to see the word 'copy' in his posts.

I am not so sure that private corporation do achieved much more than government, as far as space exploration is concerned, most if not all institution are government funded. Even the few private corporation that actually achieved anything are government(NASA) related.

The US model of taxpayer funded NASA transferring technology to private venture would be too controversial in China. This experiment of US government trying to leverage private capital for space exploration is still on-going and not having anything substantial to show yet. Unless this corporation has shown consistently significant improvement over what NASA can do, I would withhold any conclusion before then.
Your criticisms of VG is shortsighted and smacked of lack of critical thinking. There are plenty of examples, at least in the US, where what the government started, private enterprises took over and proceeded to either control the program or produce usable products from the program. Space exploration is no different. It will take VG or anyone else time to accomplish incremental goals. This is established science, so what was the point of pointing out that VG have not yet sent any tourists into space? No point at all other than to be a troll about it.

And who might he be? I want to see the word 'copy' in his posts.

Your criticisms of VG is shortsighted and smacked of lack of critical thinking. There are plenty of examples, at least in the US, where what the government started, private enterprises took over and proceeded to either control the program or produce usable products from the program. Space exploration is no different. It will take VG or anyone else time to accomplish incremental goals. This is established science, so what was the point of pointing out that VG have not yet sent any tourists into space? No point at all other than to be a troll about it.
VG had not send anyone into space, those are the facts. Their technological capabilities has not been proven. Their design could not found parallel in other past well proven projects. They do not have any past successful proven project under record.

In FACT, everything about VG read UNPROVEN.

Everybody knows that space exploration is a risky business. Even NASA cannot guarantee success in every mission. Just because there are past example in other industry do not necessary scale up to space exploration, especially manned space exploration.

Call me cynical, you way of "critical thinking", by taking a giant leap of faith, seem illogical to me.

VG had not send anyone into space, those are the facts.

Actually, VG did send 2 commercial astronaut into low orbital space.

That was after 13 or 14 tries, but the 2 astronaut did awarded civil astronaut gold wings denoted they had travel to 100Km or above over earth, an international regonized requirement of space boundary by FAI

Actually, VG did send 2 commercial astronaut into low orbital space.

That was after 13 or 14 tries, but the 2 astronaut did awarded civil astronaut gold wings denoted they had travel to 100Km or above over earth, an international regonized requirement of space boundary by FAI
Yes, two pilot reach above 100Km. The spacecraft did not reach orbit although it wasn't meant to be capable of doing so. It is designed to be suborbital like a sounding rocket.

This design is probably only useful for commercial tourism of space? I do not think China has any program that is similar because it wasn't useful for anything else. Seem unlikely China would be interested in that particular commercial market because it would not justify the investment at all.

Yes, two pilot reach above 100Km. The spacecraft did not reach orbit although it wasn't meant to be capable of doing so. It is designed to be suborbital like a sounding rocket.

This design is probably only useful for commercial tourism of space? I do not think China has any program that is similar because it wasn't useful for anything else. Seem unlikely China would be interested in that particular commercial market because it would not justify the investment at all.

Maybe that's the definition of space in China? But international standard set by FAI (Fédération Aéronautique Internationale) recognized that over the Karman line is the depth of space and that is 100Km

USAF and NASA recognized a even lower limit, at 80Km

Simply saying, low orbital space is still space, generally speaking, anything that above earth atmosphere is labelled space, while VG operate Space tourist, there are no requirement for them to go into earth orbit.

And VG space exploration have many benefit toward civil aviation and not just for space tourism. For example, by going on sub orbital flight, Virgin can develop a plane with higher than normal profile (@400FL), flying at those level would significant shorten a journey from A to B on earth, that's because the higher a plane fly, the less air resistance offer, thus save fuel and cut travel time. VG estimate they can do a transpacific flight under 2 hours using suborbital flight path

Last edited:
VG had not send anyone into space, those are the facts. Their technological capabilities has not been proven. Their design could not found parallel in other past well proven projects. They do not have any past successful proven project under record.

In FACT, everything about VG read UNPROVEN.

Everybody knows that space exploration is a risky business. Even NASA cannot guarantee success in every mission. Just because there are past example in other industry do not necessary scale up to space exploration, especially manned space exploration.
This is absurd. What do you expect VG to do? Achieve complete success at the first attempt? How many Apollo missions did it take before we landed on the Moon? One?

Call me cynical, you way of "critical thinking", by taking a giant leap of faith, seem illogical to me.
What is illogical is the impossible expectation you put on VG, the first commercial manned space enterprise. Once they achieved their goal, you and the rest will criticize them for 'taking too long'. You are not cynical, just merely jealous.

See, you just change China with EU or US and you will have a very similar problem, although what will happen after the crash will very substantially in the EU, the US and China. The current system is just unsustainable here as well as there. Already we see riots in practically all southern states of the EU, in my city there is almost not one week where there are not some kind of riots and that in Germany's richest city. What will happen when the whole Euro system breaks apart due to unsopportable debts? We Germans are slow in changes, but once it gets steam, it's unstoppable.
If you see it like this, there is little difference between China and Europe or the US. Just look how much of our tax money has been spend to rescue the bunch of arseholes that ruined our economy through pur greedy speculation. Mutti even Merkel threw a big birthday party for Ackermann in the chancellery when he was still CEO of Deutche Bank. What about the corruption scandal of Siemens? It was announced big time in the media and nothing happened. The media is all silent. Guess why?

We have little to criticise others when we also have the same skeletons in our closets and in our system. Rather we concentrate to solve our problems instead of pointing fingers as that won't make our problems smaller.

Your most welcome to start a thread about EU and it's nepotism and i'll post there, but here is not the place as this is a discussion about China. Frankly, you haven't really replied on anything i mentioned you just try to steer the conversation away.

Go ahead and report me!

Me derailling this tread? Who started with China will crash? :lol:

Hey, you asked about all the possibilities. I only stated my opinion. But i'm not asking you for your opinion on anything.....you voluntarily share it in the wrong places, and when called upon to create the right place for it, you refuse. :lol:
---------------------------------------------

On topic:

We have had calls from people in China but we have to tell them we can't accept them if they only have a Chinese passport
Virgin Galactic salesman

Virgin's craft has a rocket engine that could be classified as potential military technology by the US's International Traffic in Arms Regulations.

The regulations, introduced in the Cold War, stipulate that people from countries including China, Iran and North Korea are forbidden to have access to weapons technology.

Chinese Banned from Virgin Galactic Space Flights over Tech Theft Fears [VIDEO]

Maybe that's the definition of space in China? But international standard set by FAI (Fédération Aéronautique Internationale) recognized that over the Karman line is the depth of space and that is 100Km

USAF and NASA recognized a even lower limit, at 80Km

Simply saying, low orbital space is still space, generally speaking, anything that above earth atmosphere is labelled space, while VG operate Space tourist, there are no requirement for them to go into earth orbit.

And VG space exploration have many benefit toward civil aviation and not just for space tourism. For example, by going on sub orbital flight, Virgin can develop a plane with higher than normal profile (@400FL), flying at those level would significant shorten a journey from A to B on earth, that's because the higher a plane fly, the less air resistance offer, thus save fuel and cut travel time. VG estimate they can do a transpacific flight under 2 hours using suborbital flight path

who cares about your definition of space? VG and chinese space program are belong in different leagues. why are people comparing? this thread is getting more retarded. :rolleyes:

who cares about your definition of space? VG and chinese space program are belong in different leagues. why are people comparing? this thread is getting more retarded. :rolleyes:

Did I started the comparison? I merely point out VG have send a men to space and their goal to space travel is to benefit their own Civil Aviation branch (Virgin Atlantic). I believe i do not compare anything to the Chinese.

By the way, that was not my definition of space, that is the world definition of space, set by an international organisation.

Chinese government is a governmental body with its space exploration aimed at scientific purpose. While the VG have their goal set on financial gain. Both are with a different purpose and both would have gone a seperate way

So, what do you quote me?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom