What's new

Virgin Atlantic suspends services to Pakistan

Expats love for Pakistan is tarnished at the moment
Although I did visit Pakistan in November-December last year but that was just to fulfil my commitment.

I have lost complete trust in Pakistan since PDM tookover, I don’t even like to talk about politics as it makes me feel like vomiting. Politics was already a dirty culture in Pakistan but after the PDM takeover it feels like a bunch of gangsters and criminals have taken hostage the whole country and nobody is speaking about it

Who wants to fly with flying coffins?

Didn't know Airblue & Serene Air flew coffins. They're fleet are quite modern compared to PIA, which would be less desriable, not because it's planes are "old" but because they've dropped to 2 star rating.

Of course, I am surprised why anyone would want to invest or run Business in a country rule by Wardi Mafia and corrupt Tola, with barbaric/uncivilized people who love lynching people and dragging their bodies naked, Pathetic nation. (unfortunately)

Its a business decision, could be their customer numbers were in decline and they couldn't justify direct flights between London and Islamaabad/Lahore.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem for people wishing to get on those routes, PIA will pick up the slack if any, or just get to Dubai and pick and choose your own preferred airline to fly to the UK, also guessing British Airways probably still have direct flights. Should be allrite for most people.

Its a business decision, could be their customer numbers were in decline and they couldn't justify direct flights between London and Islamaabad/Lahore.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem for people wishing to get on those routes, PIA will pick up the slack if any, or just get to Dubai and pick and choose your own preferred airline to fly to the UK, also guessing British Airways probably still have direct flights. Should be allrite for most people.

I personally think the Airbus 350-1000 is a bit big equipment for a foreign airline to use to a route like Pakistan. Gulf Airlines are a different story.

But Virgin is European based, so it's too big. They should consider downgrading to the B787-9 if they haven't already.

I personally think the Airbus 350-1000 is a bit big equipment for a foreign airline to use to a route like Pakistan. Gulf Airlines are a different story.

But Virgin is European based, so it's too big. They should consider downgrading to the B787-9 if they haven't already.

it says all 777s to be phased out in a year, that'll leave a capacity gap. Dreamliner would a good choice, long range narrow body, also cost efficient, apparently.

Shame, but, back in the day PIA was very highly rated.

Boeing_747-240B%28M%29%2C_Pakistan_International_Airlines_%28PIA%29_JP379636.jpg

it says all 777s to be phased out in a year, that'll leave a capacity gap. Dreamliner would a good choice, long range narrow body, also cost efficient, apparently.

Shame, but, back in the day PIA was very highly rated.

I meant B787-9 that Virgin operates. Those would be a better choice for Pakistani routes like British Airways uses.

As for the B777-200ERs, those were inducted in 2004 and Pakistan's CAA adopted a policy of no operating planes beyond age 20.

I think it's dumb as I think these planes can last up to age 25.

The 200LRs were inducted in 2006. Those could probably be replaced by Airbus 350-900s. ULR variants are not needed. Airbus 350-900 can easily do direct flight from Pak to North America on average payload as far as I know.

PIA would do well with the Airbus 330-800neo. It can easily replace the Airbus 310-300.

The 330-800 is also not selling well, so I am sure PIA can lease it at an affordable price.

Last edited:

The business decision is somewhat complicated. Seems to be a profitability issue with the ticket prices. Also, there is no PIA still on the routes. So, it is all British Airways now.

The business decision is somewhat complicated. Seems to be a profitability issue with the ticket prices. Also, there is no PIA still on the routes. So, it is all British Airways now.
There is also a strong element of diplomacy involved in such purchases. The state would ideally want to be on good (if a bit briby) terms with both Airbus/EU and Boeing/US.

They could also just divest/privatize the carrier if there are liquid and capable enough Pk based businesses who are up for it.

I'm interested in hearing ki aviation geek @Imran Khan ji ki kya rai hai ispe

I meant B787-9 that Virgin operates. Those would be a better choice for Pakistani routes like British Airways uses.

As for the B777-200ERs, those were inducted in 2004 and Pakistan's CAA adopted a policy of no operating planes beyond age 20.

I think it's dumb as I think these planes can last up to age 25.

The 200LRs were inducted in 2006. Those could probably be replaced by Airbus 350-900s. ULR variants are not needed. Airbus 350-900 can easily do direct flight from Pak to North America on average payload as far as I know.

PIA would do well with the Airbus 330-800neo. It can easily replace the Airbus 310-300.

The 330-800 is also not selling well, so I am sure PIA can lease it at an affordable price.
330s ka zamana gaya

+ national carriers, though I strongly suspect their years of service (across the world) are limited as governments limit themselves to actual state duties and move away from business models such as airlines. We're not in the 70s and 80s anymore.

A big and capable Pk conglomerate business group should ideally take over and be given a chance to turn it around.

India me hi dekh lo, with Air India now owned by Tata group:

Last edited:
They could also just divest/privatize the carrier if there are liquid and capable enough Pk based businesses who are up for it.
They have much bigger problems to worry about now. They have a hotel in Manhattan that is becoming public nuisance but has no one to take care of disposal. It is a house on fire situation now. No need to rescue cutlery and crockery.

They have much bigger problems to worry about now. They have a hotel in Manhattan that is becoming public nuisance but has no one to take care of disposal. It is a house on fire situation now. No need to rescue cutlery and crockery.
A custom dream scenario for a capitalist take over, this PIA thing

deep pockets + a solid org could step right in there and snag it for a pittance.. but that's a simplistic way of looking at it, debt restructuring and all sorts of corporate headaches will ensue, +, with political instability, probably a bad idea to be making deals with Pk leadership for now.

There is also a strong element of diplomacy involved in such purchases. The state would ideally want to be on good (if a bit briby) terms with both Airbus/EU and Boeing/US.

I'm interested in hearing ki aviation geek @Imran Khan ji ki kya rai hai ispe

330s ka zamana gaya

+ national carriers, though I strongly suspect their years of service (across the world) are limited as governments limit themselves to actual state duties and move away from business models such as airlines. We're not in the 70s and 80s anymore.

A big and capable Pk conglomerate business group should ideally take over and be given a chance to turn it around.

India me hi dekh lo, with Air India now owned by Tata group:

Dollar outflow is stopped by stupid gov how can airlines operate without it ?

Also just read the fares for this airline to Pakistan from UK are very high.

I have lost complete trust in Pakistan since PDM tookover, I don’t even like to talk about politics as it makes me feel like vomiting.

This is the most saddening thing.

Forget diaspora, people within Pakistan, a large percentage of your population, the under 30's, the women, and a fair bit of the elderly were now actually interested in the political discourse of the country and actually felt that they could make a difference and do something for the country through their vote. People felt that they have some power in their hands, and were eager to take part in the discussions.

Now everyone's mood is fck it, just keep on doing what you are doing, yeh syasat inhi ka kaam hai, aur bas niklo bahir. This disenfranchisement of the population is what will kill us.

This is the most saddening thing.

Forget diaspora, people within Pakistan, a large percentage of your population, the under 30's, the women, and a fair bit of the elderly were now actually interested in the political discourse of the country and actually felt that they could make a difference and do something for the country through their vote. People felt that they have some power in their hands, and were eager to take part in the discussions.

Now everyone's mood is fck it, just keep on doing what you are doing, yeh syasat inhi ka kaam hai, aur bas niklo bahir. This disenfranchisement of the population is what will kill us.
I was checking the average birth rate, which is 25 lakh per year..............

Back
Top Bottom